Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf is fickle

Lefty96Lefty96 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

A month ago I was playing the best golf I ever have, shooting right around par with even one round getting under. Then out of nowhere I dove headfirst into a fit of the shanks. Not a usually miss for me, but boy did I groove it in. Golf was very quickly a whole lot less fun when I was shanking close to 10 times in a round and shooting above 90.

Two days ago I found a fix that seemed to work and I ground it out on the range, and then worked for a couple hours on my short game. Played yesterday and shot 1 over without a shank in the round. Golf is just a fickle beast.

Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip

Comments

• dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I hate this game in a loving kinda way...

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX

Penthouse to outhouse from one round to the next. That's golf. She's a fickle mistress.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I think that's why we play. It can go wrong at any time, but also go right too

• msgmsg Members Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 3:34am #5

I joined a local muni tournament which was scheduled for two weekends. One to qualify and another for the finals.

Shot in the high 70's last weekend and qualified for the grand finals. Shot 78 yesterday. Greens for the last two weeks have been rolled and rolling true and pin placements have been crazy.

Shot 85 today with a 10 on a par 5 after doing a Kevin Na at a waterless water hazard. Three birdies and 6 x three putts. All confidence is lost. lol

Yes, golf is a fickle sport. Nothing is set.

• HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

You are possibly trying too hard and not enjoying yourself. If you are looking for advice (you may or may not be) make sure all your rounds are stress free and focus less on the score and more on a positive experience. Check out Golf Sidekick stress free golf on youtube.

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1
    Split Grip Birdie COUNTER - 1

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 10:52am #7

@Hot Rod 71 said:
    Penthouse to outhouse from one round to the next. That's golf. She's a fickle mistress.

One day she's dressed in lace and smells of Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs. The next she stinks of a longshoreman's foot locker.

• MontanagolfMontanagolf Members Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@HonestPlayer said:
    You are possibly trying too hard and not enjoying yourself. If you are looking for advice (you may or may not be) make sure all your rounds are stress free and focus less on the score and more on a positive experience. Check out Golf Sidekick stress free golf on youtube.

I think I need this...I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 7:40pm #9

my wife asks why I play this game when it causes me so much emotional distress. I reply ... " there's alcohol involved at the end of the round"

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,440 ClubWRX

Never two rounds are the same.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • bub72ckbub72ck Members Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I shot 68-90 in a tournament last weekend... :s

Titleist TS3 9.5* Kuro Kage 70X
    Taylormade Jetspeed TI 16* Speeder 869 X
    Taylormade Rescue 09 TP Aldila XVS9
    Titleist 714 AP2 TT DGX100 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
    SIK Pro Custom
  • MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

The fickle part for me is one day my drives are center cut and I can’t find the green in regulation to same my life. next time the fairway is elusive and my chipping is excellent etc. However, no matter how frustrating the day is, somehow on the last hole I hit a shot that keeps me coming back.

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been playing well for me (shaved 3+ shots off HC in about 5 weeks). Three weeks ago I shot a 10 over 80 (par 70). Butchered 18 for the only double of the round when bogey would have gotten me a 79. That 80 equaled my best 18 hole round of a few decades ago.

Feeling pretty good, went out last week lost 6 or 7 balls and shot 108 (par 72).

Still had fun. Gotta love this game.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

It is, but that’s why I love it. The game is full of ups and downs, but there is a certain satisfaction that I get when I can successfully string together some rounds.

• tdennietdennie Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

That's what keeps me interested. One day you play like crap but you have that one good hole where everything goes right. Or a day when nothing spectacular happens then you hit a perfect, pure iron. Golf always has a way or brining me back.

• Lefty96Lefty96 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Oh the game did it to me again. Was having a fantastic round at a nice course I’d only played once before. Had a few birdies and an eagle to close out the front nine. Lipped our for another birdie on 10. Then came 11. A 295 yard drivable par 4. I decided to lay up with an easy 2 iron off the tee. I’d hit it 4 times flawlessly in the round already so I was very confident this was the play. Cue two shanks OB and a water ball and I recorded an 11.. worst score I’ve put on a hole all year. Those darn shanks can really turn a round sour.

Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lefty96 said:
    Oh the game did it to me again. Was having a fantastic round at a nice course I’d only played once before. Had a few birdies and an eagle to close out the front nine. Lipped our for another birdie on 10. Then came 11. A 295 yard drivable par 4. I decided to lay up with an easy 2 iron off the tee. I’d hit it 4 times flawlessly in the round already so I was very confident this was the play. Cue two shanks OB and a water ball and I recorded an 11.. worst score I’ve put on a hole all year. Those darn shanks can really turn a round sour.

I apologize in advance for laughing. :D ...certainly not at you...the darn game

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, the game can be awfully frustrating, but our chase for the good round beats everything, doesn't it?
    One of the keys of good golfers through time is their way of accepting bad shots, bad holes and bad rounds. My lifelong golf buddy is the case. He's been playing bad for like 6/7 holes but he still never loses his temper and he's expecting for the good things to come. He often pulls through it out of grit and determination. On the other hand, I've spent like 30 years playing with him competively and for fun but I haven't learned much about dealing with the ups and downs of the game.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's only fickle when it doesn't go your way.

• AMLemusAMLemus Littleton, COMembers Posts: 35 ✭✭

Way to get it back on track! I think the same thing happens to most of us every now and then. Everything is humming along smoothly...until it isn't. Thankfully, for most of us, that doesn't mean we lose money!

Littleton, CO
    DR: Adams Speedline Super S (10.5)
    3W: Adams Speedline Super S
    Irons: Adams Idea A12 (3hy, 4hy, 5i-PW)
    Wedges: Adams Tom Watson (52, 56, 60)
  • wickwosswickwoss Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

I feel your pain. In a 7 day span recently I shot a personal best 77, and an atrocious 97. Some days, it all falls apart.

• jpking17jpking17 Members Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Shot 4 different 82's in the last month...and not one of the rounds were the same. Didn't get off the tee well at all the first 3...the fourth just about every tee shot was point and shoot...still shot 82.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file