Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

2019 Tour Championship

Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We've got a leaderboard already!

$15,000,000 to the winner.
Last place gets you $395,000 between winnings and your retirement pension deposit. (Ben Hogan made $332,516 in career official money)

Course: East Lake Golf Club a par 70 of 7385 yards and NBC will tell you which Hall of Famer learned to play there a thousand times this week.

FedEx Cup Points: We're done with points, now you get FedEX Starting Strokes. No point total to worry about, everyone starts at the scores you see listed above and we play from there. The player most under par wins.

What if player A shoots 265 and player B shoots 267 and player B started four strokes ahead? Player B wins. And it counts as an official win for player B as well. Under this format, Justin Rose would have won the tournament last year, Tiger would have been stuck on win 79 and East Lake most likely would have been burned to the ground.

What about the OWGR? Ah now this will be interesting. The player shooting the low 72 hole score will get the winner's points even if he loses the tournament. What if three guys shoot the low score? As far as I know the three top point totals will be split. There will be no playoff for the OWGR first place points.

And now the only Federal Express commercial that matters

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

Comments

• Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new scoring format to see who can win the FedEx Cup more easily, but I would still propose these changes:

1. Majors have to be worth double what a regular Tour win is compared to the 500 and 600 points a regular Tour win and a major currently get.
    2. The player who shoots the lowest score compared to where they started at Eastlake should still get credited with a Tour win.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (PXi 6.0)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 1:44am #3

Agree with the " The player who shoots the lowest score compared to where they started at Eastlake should still get credited with a Tour win."

Will see if the format holds, but I did like the pressure it placed today..

• stanger37stanger37 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

I do not know how I feel about the new system because the best golfer next week may not win, or even come close for that matter depending who it is. Fleetwood could throw up 4 straight 65s and lose by a handful still. But giving him a W would just be the same thing as previous years having two winners. And I believe that is what they are also trying to avoid. If they were to do that, you might as well not change the system up in the first place.

I want to like it but I have to see how it works out first. As the OP said, if this was last year and Tiger didn't get a W after grinding it out...oh man.

Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Let's go Rahm. Gotta make up some distance

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭

2019 Tour Championship scoring = Caddyshack 3.

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

• HparkgolfHparkgolf IllinoisMembers, Banned Posts: 24 ✭✭

I’ll be at East Lake on Saturday/Sunday and am really hoping this doesn’t make the tournament an absolute snooze-fest.

The possibility of someone more than 5 shots back catching Justin at a golf course that is fairly benign seems so out of reach...

We shall see.

Totally ageee that the guy with the low 72 hole score should get a tour win and payout.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 5:58am #8

OWGR loses credibility awarding points for this event.
    I like the format as a way to wrap up the playoffs but I don't like the handicapped tournament part of it , Tour Championship. Winning the FedEx Cup with a handicap is fine but winning a PGA Tour event with a handicap is beyond silly.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:
    I like the format as a way to wrap up the playoffs but I don't like the handicapped tournament part of it , Tour Championship. Winning the FedEx Cup with a handicap is fine but winning a PGA Tour event with a handicap is beyond silly.

Especially in a limited field event

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • CattyCatty AustraliaMembers Posts: 40 ✭✭

So why don’t they start with Thomas on even par, then work there way down to +10. I get it. Like my cycling club. No one wants to be in d grade.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist D905
    Titleist Tour Model 2 thru PW
    Titleist Vokey 52, 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport
    [/font]
  • Blade JunkieBlade Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 2,225 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 19, 2019 9:22am #11

Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.
    And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty"

Harry Vardon (1870-1937)
  • LambLamb LondonMembers Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

Lol the PGA tour is a complete joke

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:

I agree fully. Don’t mind the format to put a period on the playoffs and the season. But it should not be considered the same as winning another full field event such as a major. For the individual player, there is no less pressure, plenty at stake, high motivation....zero doubt on that part, though, to me.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lamb said:
    Lol the PGA tour is a complete joke

It's all apples and pears but at the end, there is no apples and pears.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What time do Tiger, Phil, and Spieth tee off at? Can they change the format to allow these three to play?

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Blade Junkie said:
    And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

It's pretty simple. They did not get enough points.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

@Vindog said:

@Blade Junkie said:

It's pretty simple. They did not get enough points.

Yeah, I'm okay with them not being in. "Playoffs" means that the preceeding events get you into the playoffs and you need to do something in the playoffs to advance to the Tour Championship. My only complaint is it shouldn't be marketed like the Fed Ex Cup is a season long race. It's a qualification system to get into the playoffs and the Fed Ex Cup winner is the guy who plays best in the playoffs; just like other sports that have playoffs. Koepka has been the best player all year and hasn't done much in the two playoff events and only dropped to 3rd starting out the Tour Championship, seems fair to me.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So 4 maybe 5 guys with a legitimate chance , and a good shot at someone shooting a lower score by 3-4 shots and not getting a win.

Lots of room for fail. I guess we shall see.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Blade Junkie said:

Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@Blade Junkie said:

Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Darth Putter said:

@bladehunter said:

@Blade Junkie said:

If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

:D roflmao... this is great ! trying to make late season golf more exciting and interesting for the waning crowds .

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Really looking forward to this week, I really like the idea of the new format, it should make for a really interesting week. Interesting to see ho Thomas approaches it. With an eye on this week, it was almost like the he is only half way through the tournament heading into the week.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

@cdnglf said:

@Darth Putter said:

@bladehunter said:

@Blade Junkie said:

And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

going with JT this week.

WWG1 WGA
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

TOUR Championship

J Thomas 9/4
    P Cantlay, B Koepka 9/2
    R McIlroy 8/1
    P Reed, J Rahm 16/1
    W Simpson, D Johnson, X Schauffele 25/1
    H Matsuyama, A Scott, T Finau, M Kuchar, J Rose 40/1
    R Fowler 60/1
    G Woodland, P Casey, A Ancer 80/1
    T Fleetwood 100/1
    K Kisner, B Snedeker 125/1

WWG1 WGA
    edited Aug 19, 2019 6:39pm #27

@Cincy_Ken said:

@cdnglf said:

@Darth Putter said:

@bladehunter said:

@Blade Junkie said:

And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

@cdnglf said:

@Cincy_Ken said:

@cdnglf said:

@Darth Putter said:

@bladehunter said:

@Blade Junkie said:

Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

We're on the same page as far as that goes. I do not think the OWGR should award points this week. The guy who starts in #30 could beat #1 by a stroke but since he starts 10 strokes back he loses the tournament by 9. He's then could hypothetically be awarded the #1 ranking points for the week despite never facing any type of tournament pressure. I hate this getting ranking points more than I hate Tiger's silly season event getting points.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No Tiger, Phil, Spieth, Jason Day and Shane Lowry.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x

@Cincy_Ken said:

@cdnglf said:

@Cincy_Ken said:

@cdnglf said:

@Darth Putter said:

@bladehunter said:

@Blade Junkie said:

We're on the same page as far as that goes. I do not think the OWGR should award points this week. The guy who starts in #30 could beat #1 by a stroke but since he starts 10 strokes back he loses the tournament by 9. He's then could hypothetically be awarded the #1 ranking points for the week despite never facing any type of tournament pressure. I hate this getting ranking points more than I hate Tiger's silly season event getting points.

I don’t like either, but I really hate the dumb 18 man field. And I extra hate the special hypocritical backdoor invites Tiger has given himself In the past.

Best fix IMO is for the OWGR change the minimum field size to 60.

• snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 7:20pm #31

@Blade Junkie said:

Something seems off when Koepka isn't the clear #1 seed entering this event after the season he just had esp at the Majors. This tells me they don't weigh the Majors heavily enough with the FedEx point scoring..
    As already mentioned above, the winner of the Northern Trust gets 2000 points but the winner of the Masters and Opens only gets 600 for the win?
    By no means am I some huge Koepka fanatic but every casual golf fan on the planet knows that Brooks had the best season and the OWGR reflects it too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file