2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wow that's going to be close, how did it not go in??? Holy Smokes!!!

Stonewalled

Brother in law has been mentioning hey let's get together for a round. Well today was the day. Very uneventful day on the course thru 11 holes. 11 th hole is a 190 yard par 3, back pin location so closer to 200, had a wind at my back. Longest club in the bag other than the driver was my trusty G400 9 wood, so figured with the tailwind I should be good to go. Dropped a pro v 1x on ground [important as I usually just use crap balls as I hate losing the proV's] took a mighty swing and watched the ball set off towards the green. My eyes were fixed on the ball-fight as it looked to be just left of the pin, the ball turns slightly to the right and now I'm thinking this is going to be good. The ball hits the green and rolls right towards the pin, I'm thinking ACE, but nope we can still see something white on the green. I said to my BIL, that had to be in the hole, this is ridiculous, 40 years of golfing and the closest iv'e ever came was 3 inches. Story of my life no luck I was thinking as we drove up to the green. BIL says from 75 yards out that is the closest iv'e ever seen a ball to the hole with out going in, I'm thinking the same as I am cursing under my breath. We get the green and I grab my camera to take a pic of this lip hanger, but as I got closer I can see that the ball is stuck between the pin and the right side of the cup, with 1/2 the ball in the hole and the other 1/2 above the hole. What the??? Then it dawned on me that this will be an ace once I straighten the flagstick. As I'm 5 ft away and walking closer the wind let's up and the ball drops in the hole. What an unbelievable feeling to have gone from it's close to it's out to it's in. What a sweet game this is.

> @KyGolf said:

> A ball resting against the flagstick with any part of the ball below the surface level of the green is holed by definition.

That's good to know Ky. Thx.

When I got close enough to see the balls position I had questioned does this really count as an ace? A friend at Men's league had touched on the subject when the leave the flag in while putting was allowed, so I thought about his comments about adjusting the flag to allow the ball to drop.

It's been a crazy year, with an illness in the family weighing on my mind constantly and the fact that Sunday was my first day off in 2 months. So when the the ball finally dropped without me touching the flag I was very pleased. Figured it was a sign of good things to come.

• Like 1

> @Under2hours said:

> That is the worst thread title!!!!!

>

> You got a HIO!!!! Congrats. Reading the post I had no idea and almost didn't click on the thread.

>

> What I'm amazed is that you could see it so well 200 yards off the tee (anything over 170 and I have little idea where it is).

Thank you. Lol, yup not the best Title. Seen a few others with Hole In One in the title figured I'd try something different. [Fail] It was pretty hard to be sure from 200 yards out, but had a feeling it didn't drop, but should have. Just looked weird. I kept saying as we left the tee its got to be in or so close, the brother in law said he could still see something white on the green, that wasn't the pin. That comment dashed my hopes of a HIO all to H-LL. Seeing that ball pinned against the pin was just a magical moment for me. Kinda funny that the ball I was using was found by me on a previous hole, same brand as I was using so it was fair game to use. Someone had written HOP on the ball with blue marker. It eventually did HOP in the hole. It's sitting pretty in my home office as a reminder of one perfect shot out of thousands.

So happy for you @Stonewalled ! WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got one in 2012, 31 years into my golfing life. The feeling was FINALLY !!!

And I kid you not I had a shot same as yours this year - distance wise and flight wise- and it finished 1" directly behind the cup, I don't know how it didn't fall in

Let Titleist know, I got a great bag tag

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> So happy for you @Stonewalled ! WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I got one in 2012, 31 years into my golfing life. The feeling was FINALLY !!!

> And I kid you not I had a shot same as yours this year - distance wise and flight wise- and it finished 1" directly behind the cup, I don't know how it didn't fall in

> Let Titleist know, I got a great bag tag

Thanks uncle cardie, what an unbelievable feeling it is to finally get one. You said it FINALLY!!! got one. Wow you got robbed on that one, how does the ball finish only 1" behind the cup, and not go in??? That's just not fair!!!

Thanks for the Titliest info, would be sweet to get something from them.

I have a steelhead III nine wood I am saving for a rainy day

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> Congratulations, though for WRX purposes I think you meant to type 9i instead of 9w, no? :D

>

> As for the thread title, I like it. It keeps up the suspense.

Thanks NCN, that's too funny, but true. Actually thought someone would say the HIO shouldn't count because I used a 9 wood. Ha....

It would have been too easy just to say HIO off the hop, figured I would say it like it happened. It had me in suspense all the way to the hole, kind of cool all the emotions going thru my head.

First off, Congrats!

> @Under2hours said:

> What I'm amazed is that you could see it so well 200 yards off the tee (anything over 170 and I have little idea where it is).

Haha, for me anything over maybe 130yds is hard for me to see where it actually is. I was with my Dad when he got his only HIO, to this point. It was a short par 3, maybe 110yds, because they were working on the tee box. There is a small mound in the front of the green so when we got up to the green he thought his ball must have rolled off the back. I didn't think it went that far so I walked up to the hole. I just turned to my Dad and said "Um Dad, I found it" and looked back down at the hole.

> @hacker49 said:

> First off, Congrats!

>

> > @Under2hours said:

> > What I'm amazed is that you could see it so well 200 yards off the tee (anything over 170 and I have little idea where it is).

>

> Haha, for me anything over maybe 130yds is hard for me to see where it actually is. I was with my Dad when he got his only HIO, to this point. It was a short par 3, maybe 110yds, because they were working on the tee box. There is a small mound in the front of the green so when we got up to the green he thought his ball must have rolled off the back. I didn't think it went that far so I walked up to the hole. I just turned to my Dad and said "Um Dad, I found it" and looked back down at the hole.

>

Thanks hacker49, much appreciated. Your dad must have been very surprised as well, nice feeling getting one's first HIO. [Hopefully more to come] Have a friend who had a similar HIO to your dad's, the sun was blocking his view, checked the hole and the celebration began.

• 1 month later...

> @RyRau said:

> Totally counts. Congratulations!

> @Ripken08 said:

> So if you had wind at your back, how did the ball get lodged between the flag and back of the cup???

> @sailfishchris said:

> Awesome!

>

> @""THE GREEK"" said:

> That's a hole in one my friend congrats!!!

Thanks guy's much appreciated.

The ball was trapped between the flag and the right side of the cup, north/west wind. Unbelievable sight for sore eyes, once in a lifetime occurrence . Very pleased.

Congrats on the HiO!

I've been playing 24 years now. Been close probably a dozen times, but no dice. My latest close call was just a couple weeks ago at my club's fall member/guest tournament. We were coming up to hole 18, which is an uphill par 3. Distance was about 175 yards, but plays like 185. I was whining to my friend how I have yet to birdie this hole this year, and I don't seem to hit this green in regulation a lot.

Sure enough, I pipe my 5-iron perfectly straight. I see it land just on the front, take a hop, and I'm pretty sure it's on (can't see anything because of the elevation). We get up to the green, and it's sitting there about a foot away.

I tap in for the birdie, and find out on day 2 of the tourney that was good enough for $50 for closest to pin, and another $150 for gross skin. Not a HiO, but I'll take it.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

> @Roody said:

> Congrats on the HiO!

>

> I've been playing 24 years now. Been close probably a dozen times, but no dice. My latest close call was just a couple weeks ago at my club's fall member/guest tournament. We were coming up to hole 18, which is an uphill par 3. Distance was about 175 yards, but plays like 185. I was whining to my friend how I have yet to birdie this hole this year, and I don't seem to hit this green in regulation a lot.

>

> Sure enough, I pipe my 5-iron perfectly straight. I see it land just on the front, take a hop, and I'm pretty sure it's on (can't see anything because of the elevation). We get up to the green, and it's sitting there about a foot away.

>

> I tap in for the birdie, and find out on day 2 of the tourney that was good enough for $50 for closest to pin, and another $150 for gross skin. Not a HiO, but I'll take it.

Thanks Roody, much appreciated.

The waiting game for a HIO can be very frustrating, my wait was more than 24 years but I'm not counting anymore the wait is finally over.

Looks like u have had quite a few close calls, heck of a shot at the member/guest tourney to collect the $200, well done.

Hopefully u don't have to wait as long as I did for your first HIO. Hit em well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...