Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Pro V1 Left Dash Coming to Retail Oct 1st

From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what happened to my last post on this topic but here goes again... the Pro V1 left dash, which was previously a tour issue only golf ball, is going to be released at retail shops starting October 1st this year. It will only fit a select few golfers, however the golfers that do fit into this ball will see big things. The left dash ball is famous for being the lowest launching and the lowest spinning ball. It is also known on tour for being the longest Pro V1 model. Expect pricing to be the same as current Pro V1.

Comments

• TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it got moved to the Golf Balls sub-forum?

TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TerpFangolfer said:
    Maybe it got moved to the Golf Balls sub-forum?

I searched it and couldn't find it. I put the original thread in the pre-release and tour equipment, since the ball is presently tour only until October. I guess if this one gets deleted, we know that they don't want this info out just yet.

• lazyjc4lazyjc4 Members Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it that much different than the AVX? I have loved the results I've had with that ball.

Srixon Z565 8.5 Attas Elements Prototype
    TM GAPR Hi 17.5* Speeder Tourspec HB 9.8 
    TM GAPR Mid 19* Hzrdus Black 
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45* S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54* S200
    PM Grind 58* KBS Hi-Rev
    Bettinardi B55 Counterbalanced 38"
    Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lazyjc4 said:
    Is it that much different than the AVX? I have loved the results I've had with that ball.

This makes me think the AVX was a precursor to this ball.

G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**

@lazyjc4 said:

Yes, it's more like the typical Pro V1 models.

@tbowles411 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

I've no idea how well the AVX is selling, maybe Titleist believes that the similar spec ball can sell better under the PROV1 flagship, rather than be branded as an all together different ball.

PM Grind 58* KBS Hi-Rev

@tbowles411 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

The left dash has been around a lot longer than the AVX. It's been a tour only model for several years. Very different from the AVX.

• OleVirginiaOleVirginia Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Interested to see the marketing push (if any?) behind this. Badging looks like a typo...

TBM

Well, if it flies like the AVX, but spins around the green like a PROV1, Titleist has once again found away into my money clip.

PM Grind 58* KBS Hi-Rev
    edited Aug 19, 2019 2:21pm #11

@lazyjc4 said:
    Well, if it flies like the AVX, but spins around the green like a PROV1, Titleist has once again found away into my money clip.

The new Titleist EXP ball will probably cut into the AVX sales more so than the Left Dash ball. I imagine the Left Dash ball will cannibalize the Pro V1x a little. The left dash has a different urethane cover than the AVX and I believe it's a four piece ball and the AVX is a three piece ball. The biggest difference between the two balls will be compression. The AVX is a premium low compression ball and the left dash is the exact opposite, a premium high compression ball.

• arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 59 ✭✭

Well that certainly won't work for someone who is already a low-launch, low-spin guy like myself. Dang!

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3) - Modus 105s
    Callway Apex Pro 19 (4-9)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue (46°)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw (51-56-60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

• CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll take 10 dozen with high numbers please. Thanks in advance.

• wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@From_Parts_Unknown said:

@lazyjc4 said:

The new Titleist EXP ball will probably cut into the AVX sales more so than the Left Dash ball. I imagine the Left Dash ball will cannibalize the Pro V1x a little. The left dash has a different urethane cover than the AVX and I believe it's a four piece ball and the AVX is a three piece ball. The biggest difference between the two balls will be compression. The AVX is a premium low compression ball and the left dash is the exact opposite, a premium high compression ball.

Wouldn’t it cut into the ProV sales not the X?

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

It could, but I think the guys who play the Pro V1x are looking for a higher compression, lower spinning ball. In my experience, the guys playing the regular Pro V1 are looking for a medium compression with more spin, compared to the Pro V1x. The Left Dash will have a higher compression than the Pro V1x and lower spinning than the Pro V1x. It's going to be a ball very few golfers will have the swing speed necessary to get the top performance out of it. In fact, I've heard that they are going to encourage green grass accounts to keep them behind the counter so customers do not buy them by accident, confusing them with the other Pro V1 models. They don't want customers going out to the golf course with these balls and hitting head high stingers everywhere.

• therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

It could, but I think the guys who play the Pro V1x are looking for a higher compression, lower spinning ball. In my experience, the guys playing the regular Pro V1 are looking for a medium compression with more spin, compared to the Pro V1x. The Left Dash will have a higher compression than the Pro V1x and lower spinning than the Pro V1x. It's going to be a ball very few golfers will have the swing speed necessary to get the top performance out of it. In fact, I've heard that they are going to encourage green grass accounts to keep them behind the counter so customers do not buy them by accident, confusing them with the other Pro V1 models. They don't want customers going out to the golf course with these balls and hitting head high stingers everywhere.

You have it backwards....

edited Aug 19, 2019 4:33pm #17

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Which part? Independent testing shows that the Pro V1x is a higher compression ball compared to the regular Pro V1.

• sharks25sharks25 Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Which part? Independent testing shows that the Pro V1x is a higher compression ball compared to the regular Pro V1.

I believe since 2017 the ProV1 is the lower spinning ball vs the ProV1x

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sharks25 said:

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Farther back than that. Since at least 2013 Pro V1x has been advertised as having higher trajectory, firmer feel and more iron and wedge spin than Pro V1. It wasn't advertised but most players also felt Pro V1x was slightly longer off the driver than Pro V1.

In 2017 Titleist said that the spin and distance differences between Pro V1 and Pro V1x had been minimized and they were now very similar in those respects, with Pro V1x remaining the higher trajectory and firmer feel of the two.

Not sure what the deal was before 2013 but I swear remembering Pro V1x spinning more on the wedges than Pro V1, even back to its first generation.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is this to compete with the TP5x? Kinda?
    Sounds intriguing to me. I will definitely try. I have been liking the TP5x.

edited Aug 19, 2019 5:34pm #21

@sharks25 said:

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Yes, you are correct in terms of how Titleist advertises them but I was speaking in generalities of how people actually buy them. That's why I framed it as "a guy looking for XYZ". Let's be honest, almost no one gets fit for a golf ball. You might see something completely different in the marketplace; my assessment is based on my own personal experience of what I see at retail. I think the golfing public still perceives the X as the lower spinning/higher launching ball. I believe this is because of the firmer compression of the X. I also don't think Titleist has done a good job of educating the consumers in the performance benefits of the newer models, and it's confusing. The two balls are so similar now in terms of performance.

Mileage will vary obviously. Robots don't play golf. I've seen guys spin the X lower and I've seen them spin it higher. It also depends on the type of shots you're considering as well. There's a TXG video on YouTube that stirred some debate because it showed the complete opposite of how Titleist advertised their 2018 balls.

In terms of the Left Dash, technically it's an off shoot of the Pro V1x model. People should find this to be the lowest spinning, and lowest launching of any of the other Pro V1 models.

@mizuno player said:

You didn't hear it from me, but yes.

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I’ll definitely be on the lookout for these. I’m torn right now between the AVX and the V1. This may be the answer.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mizuno player said:

i'm not sure anyone would connect the dots if i told them that i heard it from parts unknown...haha

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mizuno player said:

i'm not sure anyone would connect the dots if i told them that i heard it from parts unknown...haha

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@North Butte said:

@sharks25 said:

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Farther back than that. Since at least 2013 Pro V1x has been advertised as having higher trajectory, firmer feel and more iron and wedge spin than Pro V1. It wasn't advertised but most players also felt Pro V1x was slightly longer off the driver than Pro V1.

In 2017 Titleist said that the spin and distance differences between Pro V1 and Pro V1x had been minimized and they were now very similar in those respects, with Pro V1x remaining the higher trajectory and firmer feel of the two.

Not sure what the deal was before 2013 but I swear remembering Pro V1x spinning more on the wedges than Pro V1, even back to its first generation.

God thank you for this. Probably one of the biggest misconceptions in golf I have ever seen is that everyone thinks Titleist swapped balls in '17. They simply decided to change the way they marketed them. A little slight of hand trick to bump sales.
    The V1x has always been higher traj, lower driver spin, higher wedge spin but firmer feel while the V1 was lower traj, higher driver spin and lower wedge spin with a softer feel. If anything they just lowered the driver spin on the V1 a touch so there wasn't the big discrepancy of distance off of the tee.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura EVO IV 661x 
    Ping G400 14.5 Fujikura EVO IV 757x 
    Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sharks25 said:

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Titleist can say whatever they want. The x spins less for me.

@Llortamaisey said:

@sharks25 said:

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

Titleist can say whatever they want. The x spins less for me.

Obviously this is all in a vacuum but the design characteristics will definitely lend themselves to differences in performance or else they wouldn't create multiple versions. I play the V1 becasue I spin the V1x too much with my wedges. Its generally soft in the mid-atlantic and I have a lot of wedge into greens and I have trouble controlling the spin with the V1x.

Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19
    edited Aug 19, 2019 6:04pm #29

@drvrwdge said:

@North Butte said:

@sharks25 said:

@therealjonzone said:

@wfrogge1 said:

@lazyjc4 said:

God thank you for this. Probably one of the biggest misconceptions in golf I have ever seen is that everyone thinks Titleist swapped balls in '17. They simply decided to change the way they marketed them. A little slight of hand trick to bump sales.
    The V1x has always been higher traj, lower driver spin, higher wedge spin but firmer feel while the V1 was lower traj, higher driver spin and lower wedge spin with a softer feel. If anything they just lowered the driver spin on the V1 a touch so there wasn't the big discrepancy of distance off of the tee.

Yeah, the "slight of hand" was so they could finally admit what people had been saying all along. For a lot of players, they really were giving up maybe 5 yards off the tee by choosing Pro V1. So they tweaked it to eliminate that discrepancy. Their marketing guys and product reps were telling people, "If you've always thought Pro V1x was longer, then you might want to try this year's Pro V1". Which got mis-interpreted as saying the balls had "switched". They just wanted people to try out that little distance bump they gave the Pro V1.

I really liked a little demo that Rick Shiels did with his Shot Tracer gadget. Not only outdoors but on an actual golf course.

He took the Pro V1, Pro V1x and AVX out and hit shots with the tracer. The trajectory was highest with Pro V1x, lowest with AVX and in between with Pro V1. He seemed a bit surprised and exclaimed, "It's basically just what it says on the box". Go figure.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

And sell more balls... ha. Imagine how many people ran out and switched balls, probably bought a few dozen they other wise wouldn't have then just went back to what they were using before.

Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19

@drvrwdge said:
    And sell more balls... ha. Imagine how many people ran out and switched balls, probably bought a few dozen they other wise wouldn't have then just went back to what they were using before.

I did that with AVX. It really does bore through the wind, it really does spin a bit less and under the right conditions it really does give a little extra distance (albeit mostly rollout).

But heck, it wasn't a Pro V1x. I've shot some of my best rounds ever with Pro V1x and I've played far more total rounds of golf with Pro V1x than any two or three other balls combined. So now I'm back with it.

At some point it's best to just own up to two facts. One, I am ultimately most comfortable with a familiar ball and two, I am too stupid to save my money and quit trying balls I'm not going to stick with. Golf, huh? What a mind job.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file