2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

FootJoy ContourFit discontinued, what's similar?

After having found a pair of reasonably priced shoes I love, they have of course been discontinued. The FootJoy ContourFit were a perfect fit for me, and I found them incredibly comfortable.

The caveat: it's difficult for me to find shoes, because I've got Fred Flintstone feet. 9 - 9.5/w-xw depending on the shoe.

I've always worn New Balance sneakers, but found the waterproofing on their golf shoes ineffective. Nike wide width have proven to be anything but wide.

Anyone know of a shoe similar to the ContourFit that's available in wide widths without spending $200? I've tried going to my local PGATSS and Dick's, but they have very few w/xw shoes in stock.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the descriptions on the FJ website, I'd say that the FJ Flex in a wide size is probably the closest you are going to get. I wear the FJ Flex and love them. I also have wide feet, though I typically were a 12-12.5 in W/XW. But, the FJ Flex's I have are excellent and I think you should give them a try.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> Looking at the descriptions on the FJ website, I'd say that the FJ Flex in a wide size is probably the closest you are going to get. I wear the FJ Flex and love them. I also have wide feet, though I typically were a 12-12.5 in W/XW. But, the FJ Flex's I have are excellent and I think you should give them a try.

Thanks for the recommendation. How often do you play in wet conditions? I'm a little skeptical of spikeless shoes in general, having had a bad experience with a previous pair, and that sole pattern looks to be a bit more suited to dryer conditions. My home course tends to be fairly wet, even in the height of summer.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> After having found a pair of reasonably priced shoes I love, they have of course been discontinued. The FootJoy ContourFit were a perfect fit for me, and I found them incredibly comfortable.

>

> The caveat: it's difficult for me to find shoes, because I've got Fred Flintstone feet. 9 - 9.5/w-xw depending on the shoe.

>

> I've always worn New Balance sneakers, but found the waterproofing on their golf shoes ineffective. Nike wide width have proven to be anything but wide.

>

> Anyone know of a shoe similar to the ContourFit that's available in wide widths without spending $200? I've tried going to my local PGATSS and Dick's, but they have very few w/xw shoes in stock.

I'm like you.. big flat feet. I have been wearing the contour for as long as I can remember. You might want to try the new FURY in wide width. I tried on a pair a friend of mine just bought and they feel like they might have a similar toe box to the contour. They weren't exactly my size, but seemed to have that wider ball of foot area. That's what I'm going to try next when I get some time. (My contour are still in pretty good shape)

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > Looking at the descriptions on the FJ website, I'd say that the FJ Flex in a wide size is probably the closest you are going to get. I wear the FJ Flex and love them. I also have wide feet, though I typically were a 12-12.5 in W/XW. But, the FJ Flex's I have are excellent and I think you should give them a try.

>

> Thanks for the recommendation. How often do you play in wet conditions? I'm a little skeptical of spikeless shoes in general, having had a bad experience with a previous pair, and that sole pattern looks to be a bit more suited to dryer conditions. My home course tends to be fairly wet, even in the height of summer.

I live in the Houston area and it is frequently wet on the course in the mornings, and even on those days when I dare to play around lunchtime, my home course usually has the sprinklers going (which, honestly, I love because I can drive the cart on the edge of the sprinkler spray area and get cooled down nicely). I've never had any issues with traction.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @gripandrip said:

> > @SecondandGoal said:

> > After having found a pair of reasonably priced shoes I love, they have of course been discontinued. The FootJoy ContourFit were a perfect fit for me, and I found them incredibly comfortable.

> >

> > The caveat: it's difficult for me to find shoes, because I've got Fred Flintstone feet. 9 - 9.5/w-xw depending on the shoe.

> >

> > I've always worn New Balance sneakers, but found the waterproofing on their golf shoes ineffective. Nike wide width have proven to be anything but wide.

> >

> > Anyone know of a shoe similar to the ContourFit that's available in wide widths without spending $200? I've tried going to my local PGATSS and Dick's, but they have very few w/xw shoes in stock.

>

> I'm like you.. big flat feet. I have been wearing the contour for as long as I can remember. You might want to try the new FURY in wide width. I tried on a pair a friend of mine just bought and they feel like they might have a similar toe box to the contour. They weren't exactly my size, but seemed to have that wider ball of foot area. That's what I'm going to try next when I get some time. (My contour are still in pretty good shape)

Thanks for the feedback. Not crazy about paying $170 a pair after getting the Contour for $100 or less, but I'll have to check them out.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @gripandrip said:

> > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > After having found a pair of reasonably priced shoes I love, they have of course been discontinued. The FootJoy ContourFit were a perfect fit for me, and I found them incredibly comfortable.

> > >

> > > The caveat: it's difficult for me to find shoes, because I've got Fred Flintstone feet. 9 - 9.5/w-xw depending on the shoe.

> > >

> > > I've always worn New Balance sneakers, but found the waterproofing on their golf shoes ineffective. Nike wide width have proven to be anything but wide.

> > >

> > > Anyone know of a shoe similar to the ContourFit that's available in wide widths without spending $200? I've tried going to my local PGATSS and Dick's, but they have very few w/xw shoes in stock.

> >

> > I'm like you.. big flat feet. I have been wearing the contour for as long as I can remember. You might want to try the new FURY in wide width. I tried on a pair a friend of mine just bought and they feel like they might have a similar toe box to the contour. They weren't exactly my size, but seemed to have that wider ball of foot area. That's what I'm going to try next when I get some time. (My contour are still in pretty good shape)

>

> Thanks for the feedback. Not crazy about paying $170 a pair after getting the Contour for $100 or less, but I'll have to check them out.

Yeah... they are pricey when you have been paying 80 bucks for contours. I recently found a new pair (kind of ugly white/brown/black saddle shoe), but they will last a while.

> @Jtangm04 said:

> What works well for a wide foot?

The ContourFit was the best wide width shoe I've found. Still trolling eBay trying to find some in my size.

New Balance wide width shoes are every bit as comfortable, maybe even more so, but I found their waterproofing to be almost non-existent. My home course tends to be very wet, so waterproofing is very important.

Wide footer here as well. I always find the FJ wides to be a little longer than wide but with that said I’ve had great luck with the Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0. I’ve worn them in laced spikeless, BOA spikeless, and laced spiked and all have had a nice wide toe box. Waterproofing was great as well. You can also remove the insoles and replace them with something thinner, I just used insoles from a previous pair of Ecccos, and that gave me even more room. Regarding price point, I never pay full price for stuff like that. Just wait for a sale on TGW or something.

PING G430 Max 9* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 6S

PING G425 LST 14.5* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 7S

PING G425 Max 20.5* - Tour AD-IZ 7X

Ping G425 Hybrid 24.5* - VENTUS Blue HB 9X

Srixon ZX5 5/6 ZX7 7-PW - Nippon Modus3 120S

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/58 - DG Spinner

L.A.B. DF 2.1 - Accra || Artisan 0120 Longneck - BGT Stability Tour

> @PopeofTexas said:

> Wide footer here as well. I always find the FJ wides to be a little longer than wide but with that said I’ve had great luck with the Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0. I’ve worn them in laced spikeless, BOA spikeless, and laced spiked and all have had a nice wide toe box. Waterproofing was great as well. You can also remove the insoles and replace them with something thinner, I just used insoles from a previous pair of Ecccos, and that gave me even more room. Regarding price point, I never pay full price for stuff like that. Just wait for a sale on TGW or something.

I've found that with a lot of their wide width shoes as well, which is why the ContourFit was great. Much wider toe box than most of their other shoes. I'm probably more of a 9 than a 9.5, but most shoes I've got to go up to the 9.5, even in XW, to find a comfortable fit. The ContourFit I could get into a 9 no problem, either in the W or XW. Thanks for the tip on the Adidas. Not crazy about most of their styles, but I'll have to check those out.

I always try to wait and buy last year's style on clearance, but sometimes it can be hard to find the wide width shoes on clearance. My wife has about the most standard women's size you can imagine, she's never paid more than $40 for a pair of shoes, and has some of the best ones out there. Jealous as hell.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @PopeofTexas said:

> > Wide footer here as well. I always find the FJ wides to be a little longer than wide but with that said I’ve had great luck with the Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0. I’ve worn them in laced spikeless, BOA spikeless, and laced spiked and all have had a nice wide toe box. Waterproofing was great as well. You can also remove the insoles and replace them with something thinner, I just used insoles from a previous pair of Ecccos, and that gave me even more room. Regarding price point, I never pay full price for stuff like that. Just wait for a sale on TGW or something.

>

> I've found that with a lot of their wide width shoes as well, which is why the ContourFit was great. Much wider toe box than most of their other shoes. I'm probably more of a 9 than a 9.5, but most shoes I've got to go up to the 9.5, even in XW, to find a comfortable fit. The ContourFit I could get into a 9 no problem, either in the W or XW. Thanks for the tip on the Adidas. Not crazy about most of their styles, but I'll have to check those out.

>

> I always try to wait and buy last year's style on clearance, but sometimes it can be hard to find the wide width shoes on clearance. My wife has about the most standard women's size you can imagine, she's never paid more than $40 for a pair of shoes, and has some of the best ones out there. Jealous as ****.

I hear you on that. Us wide footers have to settle a lot of times. Although I haven't played in them a couple of others that had a wider toe box and seemed pretty comfortable in store were the Callaway Coronado in wide (actually on sale now too on TGW) and the Skechers GO GOLF Elite but for some reason I just can't get with the Skechers styling.

PING G430 Max 9* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 6S

PING G425 LST 14.5* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 7S

PING G425 Max 20.5* - Tour AD-IZ 7X

Ping G425 Hybrid 24.5* - VENTUS Blue HB 9X

Srixon ZX5 5/6 ZX7 7-PW - Nippon Modus3 120S

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/58 - DG Spinner

L.A.B. DF 2.1 - Accra || Artisan 0120 Longneck - BGT Stability Tour

> @PopeofTexas said:

> I hear you on that. Us wide footers have to settle a lot of times. Although I haven't played in them a couple of others that had a wider toe box and seemed pretty comfortable in store were the Callaway Coronado in wide (actually on sale now too on TGW) and the Skechers GO GOLF Elite but for some reason I just can't get with the Skechers styling.

:) on my way to PGATSS in a few minutes to return a pair of Skechers that my wife grabbed for me. One shoe fit, the other was too tight. They don't put the width on the tag inside the shoe, so not sure if one was the wrong size of it's just how they run.

i dont know why footjoy doesnt continue making the ContourFits. If you look everywhere in the major chains, the proSL and contourfits consistently have the most reviews out of all the Footjoys which indicates its prob the one of the better selling shoes. So why not continue selling it ya know ??

i have a backup pair of BOA contourfit and im trying to prolong the pair im wearing now so i dont have to find a new shoe.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

• 4 weeks later...

> @gripandrip said:

> > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > @gripandrip said:

> > > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > After having found a pair of reasonably priced shoes I love, they have of course been discontinued. The FootJoy ContourFit were a perfect fit for me, and I found them incredibly comfortable.

> > > >

> > > > The caveat: it's difficult for me to find shoes, because I've got Fred Flintstone feet. 9 - 9.5/w-xw depending on the shoe.

> > > >

> > > > I've always worn New Balance sneakers, but found the waterproofing on their golf shoes ineffective. Nike wide width have proven to be anything but wide.

> > > >

> > > > Anyone know of a shoe similar to the ContourFit that's available in wide widths without spending $200? I've tried going to my local PGATSS and Dick's, but they have very few w/xw shoes in stock.

> > >

> > > I'm like you.. big flat feet. I have been wearing the contour for as long as I can remember. You might want to try the new FURY in wide width. I tried on a pair a friend of mine just bought and they feel like they might have a similar toe box to the contour. They weren't exactly my size, but seemed to have that wider ball of foot area. That's what I'm going to try next when I get some time. (My contour are still in pretty good shape)

> >

> > Thanks for the feedback. Not crazy about paying $170 a pair after getting the Contour for $100 or less, but I'll have to check them out.

>

> Yeah... they are pricey when you have been paying 80 bucks for contours. I recently found a new pair (kind of ugly white/brown/black saddle shoe), but they will last a while.

Broke down and bought the Furys... great shoe, very comfortable... and I found them close out at a golf course for $125.