Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

A Nice Day on the Course with a Stranger

MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

I read an occasional horror story on here about individuals paired by the starter. Saturday I was paired with a young man who was one of the nicest guys I have met in these situations. He was a lot younger than I, a decent golfer who made the day very enjoyable. Although he did hit some errant shots and could not sink a put, he never demonstrated the anger I see at times nor did he ever utter a curse word.

The point of the post is I am told to share good news with friends and I consider this forum a great place to do so.

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've played with all types. Played the other week with a pair of brothers, where one of them was about to fight the ranger because said ranger called "us" out for trying to play thru a group. Have also been paired with guys who look like they'd never harm a mouse and were very friendly. Played with plus handicaps, and played with guys who could only drive the ball 180 and shot 120+.

Have met a few nice guys paired up as strangers that I keep in touch with and play with on a somewhat regular basis.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've played with all types. Sometimes it can be pretty enjoyable talking to new people. It can be a problem when you get matched up with either a drunk or someone who yells and screams, basically a jerk, though. Recently was matched up with a couple of guys who really weren't very good and had no clue about how to keep moving around the course and keep up the pace. Other than walking faster and always getting to my ball to push them along they were fine and good company. Used to get very antsy about playing with strangers but it really doesn't bother me any more. And if no one can play that weekend or you can't get out as a single then you better get used to it.

• HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Played with a woman that cursed like a sailor and got a bit mad at some errant shots. It still was a nice day on the course with a stranger.

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a terrible round and it was still a great day because of the single I got paired with Saturday. We were slow because it was hot (108F) and he liked to look for balls (we both lost a bunch) but never saw another golfer so it wasn't like we were holding up the course. Hit some good shots and had great conversation for over 4 hours. I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• jlbos83jlbos83 Members Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost all of the strangers I've played been enjoyable, or at least not negative, to play with. I did play with two poor golfers who cursed, stomped and yelled continuously (I don't care if you are not a good golfer, I'm not either, but don't act like you should be making birdie on every hole). Somehow, I managed to maintain my concentration, and sort of stay in my own little bubble, and shot one of my best rounds ever. But the better side is that I played with one stranger last winter, and we've played together a couple time a month ever since. Friendly, relaxing guy to play with. Told me in early December that I'd shoot under 90 (I had done it before, but it had been a while) by the end of the year. December 29, 89!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've very rarely been paired up with strangers who turned out to be unpleasant. Usually the worst it gets is a quiet day where we don't really talk other than the usual "nice shot" and such. Which statistically speaking means if everyone else is fine I'm probably the a**hole.

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say my success rate with strangers is over 95% or so. I have had a couple of doozies over the years, but for every doozy I’ve had 10 great stranger partners.

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’d also go well into high %age of good people, I’d have a hard time remembering more than 2 or three real jerks. One time , playing with my dad ( Smithtown Landing on Long Island) we got paired with a real jerk. On 5 he hits into group ahead. The guy hit up on was huge and mad, my dad walks right at him and I’m thinking why are you doing that? Dad just points over his shoulder and says take it up with him. The big guy walks up to the jerk and dumps out his golf bag. The jerk walked off, we joined the big guy and his buddy for 13 holes, then beers and laughs.

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

I've got a handful of random golf partners now in my phone and have played with all of them for a second and third time.
    Matched my best ever 78 with two older dope smoking dudes a few weeks ago...they barely noticed me having the round of my life hahaha.

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the people in my golf group are just guys I've been paired with and exchanged numbers at the end of the round. We ended up grabbing some lunch together and became friends. A couple of years later, it's now this network of golf buddies. Its rare that we all get to play on the same day with our schedules and being able to book consecutive tee times. I think it has only happened twice and we ended up with four groups teeing off right behind one another. A great way to meet new people. A few of us usually do a dinner and drinks once a month with our significant others.

Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,224 ClubWRX

I think a lot of the experience has to do with your attitude. I have a friend who says every stranger is a friend I haven't me yet. After 30 years working as a LEO my approach sadly is every stranger is a potential problem unless proven otherwise. On the golf course though most of my experiences have been positive - a large majority in fact have made the round enjoyable. I have bailed on some a$$hats before after 9 holes as I couldn't stand to be around them for another minute, but for the most part as long as I don't let quirky pre-shot routines or the like bother me I enjoy playing with new people.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,632 ClubWRX

Went to Montgomery Bell and got paired with these older gents who were just awesome to play with. i was the guy cussing and throwing tantrums, I try. I really hope to play with them again, and Montgomery Bell is one awesome course that is a must if you are near Nashville. A harder challenge is just up the road, Greystone. These are in Dickson, Tn.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    Cobra F8 12*
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790's this week, next week?
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Five of my best customers that I've had for over 20 years were met on the golf course by random chance. I could count on one hand the number of uncomfortable rounds I've had with strangers over the last 30 years. Golf is awesome.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Edward_Majorwin said:
    I've got a handful of random golf partners now in my phone and have played with all of them for a second and third time.
    Matched my best ever 78 with two older dope smoking dudes a few weeks ago...they barely noticed me having the round of my life hahaha.

I played with those guys. Late 60s had one burning most of the day. I was impressed.

Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 2:34pm #17

A friend of a friend got paired with Omeara and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

Funny story (the long version is even better).

Post edited by 2bGood on
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Good. Years ago I took a trip by myself to Colorado. Flew into Co. Springs and played the next day. Hooked up with a guy on first tee and we hit it off right away. Played again together and then next day he picked me up at 3am and we drove about three hours I think west. Was a trail off side road that was completely hidden. We went back and forth a bit then he found it. Old mining trail that wove itself up the mountain. Turn of century log cabins on the way up. Get to top and small lake and a mining shaft along with a couple old cabins. Could only get a little ways into mine cause of water and it had collapsed some. Climbed up to rim and the views were just amazing. On the way down we stopped at a brook and he caught some fish and had brought some fixings with him. Cast iron pan. Nothing ever tasted so good. We got back after midnight. This was before interweb so never saw him again. Had his address, he was married, and was planning to go back but never did. Unreal.
    The Bad. End of trip went down to Pueblo to play the college course. It was wide open except for two 40ish guys and a woman. Joined up with them. Rest of round was them totally ignoring me. Helped them every time they lost a ball, even found one. Nothing. I lost ball couple times no help from them. About 8th hole I was hitting first and turned to add something to conversation....and one guy points to my ball and says "just tee off." Alrightythen. Last hole I chipped up last the woman took the pin out and put it across my line. I was away and they all putted out, turned and left. Not a word. Wanted to go into clubhouse but they were there and enough was enough. On first tee I asked to play thru to get out of their way and guy just turned and looked at woman who smirked. Should of known then it was going to be a long day.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

probably 99% of my pairing experiences have been at least positive. I mean some weird dudes in there or whatever, but it's not like they weren't nice

Very few people post about positive experiences though so it seems as if there's all these jerks out there.

One of my favorites was when i got randomly paired with 2 guys from the Montreal Alouettes (our CFL team). At the time i had just finished playing college and was playing semi-pro while working. So we shared a lot of football stories.

Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've met some great people on the course from walks of life & parts of the world I probably would not have crossed paths with. Enjoy going nomad. In 30 years maybe 4-5 who I'm thankful to never see again.
    I love this aspect of the game. Once in a while a real gem of a day comes of it.

• shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! South DakotaMembers Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@2bGood said:
    A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

Tiger probably wanted to bang your friend's friend's wife.
    Kidding, sort of.

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@shortstop20 said:

@2bGood said:
    A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

Kidding, sort of.

Or maybe Tiger is actually a pretty good dude and not wholly defined by his mistakes?

Grow up.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! South DakotaMembers Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:

@shortstop20 said:

@2bGood said:

Kidding, sort of.

Or maybe Tiger is actually a pretty good dude and not wholly defined by his mistakes?

Grow up.

I'm a huge Tiger fan, it was a joke.

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@shortstop20 said:

@PowderedToastMan said:

@shortstop20 said:

@2bGood said:

Kidding, sort of.

Grow up.

I'm a huge Tiger fan, it was a joke.

Yeah? You’d say that “joke” to Tiger’s face, as a fan and all?

It was actually just a cheap shot.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 4:05am #25

Earlier in the year I was out, maybe 3 holes in and an older gentlemen roles up on a cart. He passed up a pair behind me and asked if he could join, I was walking the course that day so I thought sure why not. We ended up playing the rest of the round together and it was actually a nice time. I will admit that I was a little thrown off at first.

Post edited by DrewBallin on
    In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Wilson Staff V6 raw 4-gw KBS tour 120 shafts
    wedge-- Callaway MD3 56* & 60* Dynamic gold shafts
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:

@shortstop20 said:

@2bGood said:

Kidding, sort of.

Grow up.

I will ignore the joke. The story always intrigued me though. He went out and practiced his MENTAL game for 5 hours. I am sure it was not the first or last time. To his credit the teller of the story say he was great to hang out with after the round, super polite and a pleasure to have dinner with. The person who got paired with him and his wife were about 20 years older than him at the time.

• HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Qqq123xx said:

The Bad. End of trip went down to Pueblo to play the college course. It was wide open except for two 40ish guys and a woman. Joined up with them. Rest of round was them totally ignoring me. Helped them every time they lost a ball, even found one. Nothing. I lost ball couple times no help from them. About 8th hole I was hitting first and turned to add something to conversation....and one guy points to my ball and says "just tee off." Alrightythen. Last hole I chipped up last the woman took the pin out and put it across my line. I was away and they all putted out, turned and left. Not a word. Wanted to go into clubhouse but they were there and enough was enough. On first tee I asked to play thru to get out of their way and guy just turned and looked at woman who smirked. Should of known then it was going to be a long day.

There has to be something more to that story. You say you joined up with them but had asked to play through on the first tee? I get why you asked to go ahead but how did you end up with them? They invited you along and then ignored you the whole day?

• tonypizzletonypizzle Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

i play golf alone or just a twosome so often. I get paired on the first tee all the time. i think for the most part, people are generally really nice and have not really had too many horror stories. sure, i've had a few slow players but generally its been good experiences. I think most people are out to have a good time and have a general idea of etiquette.

• Oett11Oett11 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I play solo 75% of the time, I get out mid day during the week so really never have issues getting paired up with strangers. On the rare occasion when I do I've never had any issues, usually turns into an enjoyable round. I can't remember the last time I had a terrible time, awkward for sure but nothing too bad. Any horror stories lately?

Mizuno st 180~~ 9.5* Diamana D+ 70 x
    Mizuno st 180 3w 15* Ust Chrome 8f5t
    Cobra F8 hybrid 22* Rogue 85 stiff
    Cobra King Mb 5-pw kbs $taper 125
    Cleveland Rtx4 50/54 ti s400
    Taylormade mini spider 35

• jsr451jsr451 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

Most memorable for me was a few rounds 25 years ago.
    I was staying in Jupiter Fl and wanted to play Emerald Dunes. Traveled there and after a few holes caught up to a gentleman from Mid-West. We didn't talk anything but golf and our day'
    We had a few beers and agreed to play the following day together. We both did not talk anything personal. It was just playing. We both had nice rounds. Again we had beers but then spoke about some personal things. He was a Pediatric oncologist trying to relax. My wife had a miscarriage about a month before trip to Florida. Never told him about that. It just stuck with me how lucky we both were to use golf for a distraction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file