***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Unsolicited Junior advice

 kekoa ·  
kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
Joined:  in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

Maybe it's just me, but lately I've been getting more than usual unsolicited swing advice for my son through his IG account. Sure I can make his account private, but hopefully it won't come to that.
Anyhow, some guys will offer advice with full on diagrams of what needs to be fixed and how he needs to get it done. We started seeing a local instructor and it really opened my eyes to some swing faults that aren't apparent to the untrained eye. With that said, we are working on things little by little and it definitely is a process. My son has literally been swinging a club since he was 18 months old so he has obviously picked up some good and bad habits along the way. Some of the guys giving advice are getting really specific as to what they think my son's swing should look like. It's crazy actually. I mean what young junior hits all the positions and swing it like Koepka? If I told my son you don't have enough left shoulder down or spine extension he would look at me like WTF!!

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 387Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #2

    I mean you posted on an open IG account. Can't be surprised at getting "advice" from "experts".

    Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BertGABertGA Members  360WRX Points: 130Posts: 360 Greens
    Joined:  #3

    You can turn off comments.

    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @kekoa said:

    We started seeing a local instructor and it really opened my eyes to some swing faults that aren't apparent to the untrained eye. With that said, we are working on things little by little and it definitely is a process.

    You sell him short bro... the guy played in the two PGA events this year, the PGA Championship last year, holds a ton of course records (even a 59 on a tough track), played in multiple US Opens, etc. Oh yeah, other PGA Tour instructors, PGA Tour players and college coaches follow him on IG as well because he knows his s#!t. LOL

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @leezer99 said:

    On -, @kekoa said:

    We started seeing a local instructor and it really opened my eyes to some swing faults that aren't apparent to the untrained eye. With that said, we are working on things little by little and it definitely is a process.

    You sell him short bro... the guy played in the two PGA events this year, the PGA Championship last year, holds a ton of course records (even a 59 on a tough track), played in multiple US Opens, etc. Oh yeah, other PGA Tour instructors, PGA Tour players and college coaches follow him on IG as well because he knows his s#!t. LOL

    I think he is playing at the Farmers Insurance open and Desert classic next year as well. Talking about the coach, not my son :)

    Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #7

    On -, @BloctonGolf11 said:

    I mean you posted on an open IG account. Can't be surprised at getting "advice" from "experts".

    Sorry, but I am surprised. I mean it looks like these guys are putting some real time and thought into their advice. It’s not like Im posting a swing and saying please help with this or that. Most swings are on IG story, which are only visible for a few hrs or a day. If my son flat out sucked then I get it, but he doesnt.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • darter79darter79 Members  902WRX Points: 321Posts: 902 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #8

    I've seen that on kids swings on instagram where people just start slamming a kid for this or that. I think it's absurd. Maybe these people are looking to work with your kid. Either way that is flat out annoying.

    Posted:
  • kcapkcap Members  210WRX Points: 131Posts: 210 Fairways
    Joined:  #9

    I have seen ppl give advice to golf instructors so not surprised that you get it. This is the reality of social media and you have a open IG account dedicated to showcase your son's love as well as achievements in the game. The advice/comment will come even event if he has the perfect swing!

    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 21, 2019 #10

    What's funny is that I am blocked from the IG account and have never commented on one thing. Kekoa's hate for me is real. lol

    Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1632WRX Points: 422Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 21, 2019 #11

    Everyone is a swing expert and everyone has an opinion on swings. Most of them are wrong. If you have a IG account people will comment on it. Just a fact of life.

    Something I learned. Golf instructors are very much like Gym teachers I say this because they all teach a certain style. The instructor who style is not compatible with the students swing is worse than none. I only learned this recently from one the best instructors in the game.

    Posted:
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  418WRX Points: 319Handicap: 21Posts: 418 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    On -, @kekoa said:

    Maybe it's just me, but lately I've been getting more than usual unsolicited swing advice for my son through his IG account. Sure I can make his account private, but hopefully it won't come to that.

    Maybe they're fishing for new business? Son doesn't have an IG account for golf, but he does have Youtube videos for college coaches.
    I've showed them off to several local pro friends. I was mainly asking about productive quality and it hit the mark. They immediately started with swing flaws.
    So, I hear ya!

    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 387Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Aug 21, 2019 #13

    On -, @kekoa said:

    On -, @BloctonGolf11 said:

    I mean you posted on an open IG account. Can't be surprised at getting "advice" from "experts".

    Sorry, but I am surprised. I mean it looks like these guys are putting some real time and thought into their advice. It’s not like Im posting a swing and saying please help with this or that. Most swings are on IG story, which are only visible for a few hrs or a day. If my son flat out sucked then I get it, but he doesnt.

    I mean this in the nicest way but how are you really surprised? Social media is full of people with way to much time on their hands and who have way to high opinion of their own knowledge. You gave your child an independent Instagram account which is essentially inviting scrutiny and commentary, particularly with it being public. When you give your own child an account as opposed to posting things from your account you turn it from proud dad just sharing their journey to an independent entity essentially. I mean come on, you literally have golf in the name of his IG account and you are honestly surprised people are making golf commentary?

    Posted:
    Post edited by BloctonGolf11 on
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members  1301WRX Points: 685Posts: 1,301 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14

    Could you share some of the tips? My junior could use the help.

    Posted:

    -- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @wildcatden said:

    Could you share some of the tips? My junior could use the help.

    Swing hard in case you hit it.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers  2237WRX Points: 345Posts: 2,237 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #16

    Kekoa, was the swing advice off? I'm guessing they must think he's good enough to implement these changes.

    Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @4rheel said:

    Kekoa, was the swing advice off? I'm guessing they must think he's good enough to implement these changes.

    Honestly it isn't off lol. It's basically the same stuff we are currently working on, but worded differently.
    Two big issues is a reverse C and trail leg footwork. One guy was saying that his trail foot should bank and stay almost planted until the ball is hit. This is really hard to do for younger kids. I've watched a lot of kids hit balls and 99% are well onto their toes on the DS to get power.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  418WRX Points: 319Handicap: 21Posts: 418 Greens
    Joined:  #18

    Honestly it isn't off lol. It's basically the same stuff we are currently working on, but worded differently.
    Two big issues is a reverse C and trail leg footwork. One guy was saying that his trail foot should bank and stay almost planted until the ball is hit. This is really hard to do for younger kids. I've watched a lot of kids hit balls and 99% are well onto their toes on the DS to get power.

    Also, folks will see a 10 second clip and think they're the first to have that thought.

    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    What's funny is that I am blocked from the IG account and have never commented on one thing. Kekoa's hate for me is real. lol

    Then stop giving unsolicited advice. love ya man!

    Posted:
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  418WRX Points: 319Handicap: 21Posts: 418 Greens
    Joined:  #20

    I mean, come on Dad. We need to talk to that pro!

    https://tenor.com/view/golf-swing-fail-kid-gif-11354202

    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #21

    Real coaches keep their mouths shut unless they're asked for help. Not only because they know they have no clue what you are working on with your current coach but also because they aren't getting paid to give unsolicited help.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers  2237WRX Points: 345Posts: 2,237 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @kekoa said:

    Honestly it isn't off lol. It's basically the same stuff we are currently working on, but worded differently.

    Two big issues is a reverse C and trail leg footwork. One guy was saying that his trail foot should bank and stay almost planted until the ball is hit. This is really hard to do for younger kids. I've watched a lot of kids hit balls and 99% are well onto their toes on the DS to get power.

    I noticed this with the stronger/older kids in my son's division. They seem to try to keep their trailing foot down well thru impact. Sort of creates a chase move but they can hit it a mile. I teach my kid the importance of being grounded with his footwork but just recently started getting it now that he is getting stronger.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • propredicrpropredicr Members  300WRX Points: 101Posts: 300 Greens
    Joined:  #23

    Feel great, now I see I’m not the only one with a ballerina golfer re: trail leg? 🤣
    To me, the best, most powerful trail leg move...B.K.

    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @kekoa said:

    On -, @4rheel said:

    Kekoa, was the swing advice off? I'm guessing they must think he's good enough to implement these changes.

    Honestly it isn't off lol. It's basically the same stuff we are currently working on, but worded differently.
    Two big issues is a reverse C and trail leg footwork. One guy was saying that his trail foot should bank and stay almost planted until the ball is hit. This is really hard to do for younger kids. I've watched a lot of kids hit balls and 99% are well onto their toes on the DS to get power.

    It is because kids can't physically do what an adult can do. Every player, no matter the age, has physical limitations. With out testing and understanding the physical inabilities no one should give advice on a swing because it is just guessing. Many young kids have slight to full reverse C's because they aren't strong enough, for whatever reason, to get to their front foot. See it all the time.

    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @propredicr said:

    Feel great, now I see I’m not the only one with a ballerina golfer re: trail leg? 🤣
    To me, the best, most powerful trail leg move...B.K.

    He starts getting on his toes at the top of his backswing.

    Towards impact:

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • propredicrpropredicr Members  300WRX Points: 101Posts: 300 Greens
    Joined:  #26

    We’re talking the top edge of my kid’s shoe in the downswing, BK is barely off the balls of his feet, almost through the ball. Love to get there! More work to do, in the offseason.

    Posted:
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX  2750WRX Points: 501Posts: 2,750 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #27

    Why is this surprising?
    Kid has a IG account...people post on kid's IG account.

    Unless the kid is in Jr High or High School...why does the kid have a IG account to begin with? Same logic with FB. What good comes out of showing and telling the world that you just ate a Chicken Sandwich for lunch?
    I'm not on either platform...so... I'm assuming there may be a good reason for a Jr. 12U to be on these platforms...I just haven't seen the logic.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 387Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @jj9000 said:

    Why is this surprising?
    Kid has a IG account...people post on kid's IG account.

    Unless the kid is in Jr High or High School...why does the kid have a IG account to begin with? Same logic with FB. What good comes out of showing and telling the world that you just ate a Chicken Sandwich for lunch?
    I'm not on either platform...so... I'm assuming there may be a good reason for a Jr. 12U to be on these platforms...I just haven't seen the logic.

    Cold hard facts there. I see the reasoning for an adult to have social media and sharing kids golfing adventures (family, friends, etc) but this whole movement of children, literally children not teens, having an "independent" account is just really odd to me.

    Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @BloctonGolf11 said:

    On -, @jj9000 said:

    Why is this surprising?
    Kid has a IG account...people post on kid's IG account.

    Unless the kid is in Jr High or High School...why does the kid have a IG account to begin with? Same logic with FB. What good comes out of showing and telling the world that you just ate a Chicken Sandwich for lunch?
    I'm not on either platform...so... I'm assuming there may be a good reason for a Jr. 12U to be on these platforms...I just haven't seen the logic.

    Cold hard facts there. I see the reasoning for an adult to have social media and sharing kids golfing adventures (family, friends, etc) but this whole movement of children, literally children not teens, having an "independent" account is just really odd to me.

    This deserves its own forum entry - Should your junior golfer have a social media presence on Instagram / FB / Twitter?

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 387Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @leezer99

    Start it up!
    Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.