Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Unsolicited Junior advice

kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,123 ClubWRX

Maybe it's just me, but lately I've been getting more than usual unsolicited swing advice for my son through his IG account. Sure I can make his account private, but hopefully it won't come to that.
Anyhow, some guys will offer advice with full on diagrams of what needs to be fixed and how he needs to get it done. We started seeing a local instructor and it really opened my eyes to some swing faults that aren't apparent to the untrained eye. With that said, we are working on things little by little and it definitely is a process. My son has literally been swinging a club since he was 18 months old so he has obviously picked up some good and bad habits along the way. Some of the guys giving advice are getting really specific as to what they think my son's swing should look like. It's crazy actually. I mean what young junior hits all the positions and swing it like Koepka? If I told my son you don't have enough left shoulder down or spine extension he would look at me like WTF!!

Comments

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭

I mean you posted on an open IG account. Can't be surprised at getting "advice" from "experts".

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭

You can turn off comments.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:
    We started seeing a local instructor and it really opened my eyes to some swing faults that aren't apparent to the untrained eye. With that said, we are working on things little by little and it definitely is a process.

You sell him short bro... the guy played in the two PGA events this year, the PGA Championship last year, holds a ton of course records (even a 59 on a tough track), played in multiple US Opens, etc. Oh yeah, other PGA Tour instructors, PGA Tour players and college coaches follow him on IG as well because he knows his s#!t. LOL

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,123 ClubWRX

@leezer99 said:

@kekoa said:
    We started seeing a local instructor and it really opened my eyes to some swing faults that aren't apparent to the untrained eye. With that said, we are working on things little by little and it definitely is a process.

You sell him short bro... the guy played in the two PGA events this year, the PGA Championship last year, holds a ton of course records (even a 59 on a tough track), played in multiple US Opens, etc. Oh yeah, other PGA Tour instructors, PGA Tour players and college coaches follow him on IG as well because he knows his s#!t. LOL

I think he is playing at the Farmers Insurance open and Desert classic next year as well. Talking about the coach, not my son :)

@BloctonGolf11 said:
    I mean you posted on an open IG account. Can't be surprised at getting "advice" from "experts".

Sorry, but I am surprised. I mean it looks like these guys are putting some real time and thought into their advice. It’s not like Im posting a swing and saying please help with this or that. Most swings are on IG story, which are only visible for a few hrs or a day. If my son flat out sucked then I get it, but he doesnt.

• CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most ppl take video (esp slow mo) of their swing to improve it.

It’s natural that ppl who play or teach golf for a living would want to critique it.

If you are really bothered by this, perhaps you should add a comment to each swing vid post: “not looking for tips or instruction - showing off only”

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that on kids swings on instagram where people just start slamming a kid for this or that. I think it's absurd. Maybe these people are looking to work with your kid. Either way that is flat out annoying.

• kcapkcap Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

I have seen ppl give advice to golf instructors so not surprised that you get it. This is the reality of social media and you have a open IG account dedicated to showcase your son's love as well as achievements in the game. The advice/comment will come even event if he has the perfect swing!

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2019 1:04pm #11

What's funny is that I am blocked from the IG account and have never commented on one thing. Kekoa's hate for me is real. lol

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2019 1:24pm #12

Everyone is a swing expert and everyone has an opinion on swings. Most of them are wrong. If you have a IG account people will comment on it. Just a fact of life.

Something I learned. Golf instructors are very much like Gym teachers I say this because they all teach a certain style. The instructor who style is not compatible with the students swing is worse than none. I only learned this recently from one the best instructors in the game.

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@kekoa said:
    Maybe it's just me, but lately I've been getting more than usual unsolicited swing advice for my son through his IG account. Sure I can make his account private, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Maybe they're fishing for new business? Son doesn't have an IG account for golf, but he does have Youtube videos for college coaches.
    I've showed them off to several local pro friends. I was mainly asking about productive quality and it hit the mark. They immediately started with swing flaws.
    So, I hear ya!

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
    edited Aug 21, 2019 2:16pm #14

@kekoa said:

@BloctonGolf11 said:

Sorry, but I am surprised. I mean it looks like these guys are putting some real time and thought into their advice. It’s not like Im posting a swing and saying please help with this or that. Most swings are on IG story, which are only visible for a few hrs or a day. If my son flat out sucked then I get it, but he doesnt.

I mean this in the nicest way but how are you really surprised? Social media is full of people with way to much time on their hands and who have way to high opinion of their own knowledge. You gave your child an independent Instagram account which is essentially inviting scrutiny and commentary, particularly with it being public. When you give your own child an account as opposed to posting things from your account you turn it from proud dad just sharing their journey to an independent entity essentially. I mean come on, you literally have golf in the name of his IG account and you are honestly surprised people are making golf commentary?

Post edited by BloctonGolf11 on
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you share some of the tips? My junior could use the help.

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wildcatden said:
    Could you share some of the tips? My junior could use the help.

Swing hard in case you hit it.

• 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kekoa, was the swing advice off? I'm guessing they must think he's good enough to implement these changes.

@4rheel said:
    Kekoa, was the swing advice off? I'm guessing they must think he's good enough to implement these changes.

Honestly it isn't off lol. It's basically the same stuff we are currently working on, but worded differently.
    Two big issues is a reverse C and trail leg footwork. One guy was saying that his trail foot should bank and stay almost planted until the ball is hit. This is really hard to do for younger kids. I've watched a lot of kids hit balls and 99% are well onto their toes on the DS to get power.

Honestly it isn't off lol. It's basically the same stuff we are currently working on, but worded differently.
    Two big issues is a reverse C and trail leg footwork. One guy was saying that his trail foot should bank and stay almost planted until the ball is hit. This is really hard to do for younger kids. I've watched a lot of kids hit balls and 99% are well onto their toes on the DS to get power.

Also, folks will see a 10 second clip and think they're the first to have that thought.

Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

@heavy_hitter said:
    What's funny is that I am blocked from the IG account and have never commented on one thing. Kekoa's hate for me is real. lol

Then stop giving unsolicited advice. love ya man!

I mean, come on Dad. We need to talk to that pro!

https://tenor.com/view/golf-swing-fail-kid-gif-11354202

Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Real coaches keep their mouths shut unless they're asked for help. Not only because they know they have no clue what you are working on with your current coach but also because they aren't getting paid to give unsolicited help.

• 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

I noticed this with the stronger/older kids in my son's division. They seem to try to keep their trailing foot down well thru impact. Sort of creates a chase move but they can hit it a mile. I teach my kid the importance of being grounded with his footwork but just recently started getting it now that he is getting stronger.

• propredicrpropredicr Members Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

Feel great, now I see I’m not the only one with a ballerina golfer re: trail leg? 🤣
    To me, the best, most powerful trail leg move...B.K.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@4rheel said:

It is because kids can't physically do what an adult can do. Every player, no matter the age, has physical limitations. With out testing and understanding the physical inabilities no one should give advice on a swing because it is just guessing. Many young kids have slight to full reverse C's because they aren't strong enough, for whatever reason, to get to their front foot. See it all the time.

@propredicr said:
    Feel great, now I see I’m not the only one with a ballerina golfer re: trail leg? 🤣
    To me, the best, most powerful trail leg move...B.K.

He starts getting on his toes at the top of his backswing.

Towards impact:

• propredicrpropredicr Members Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

We’re talking the top edge of my kid’s shoe in the downswing, BK is barely off the balls of his feet, almost through the ball. Love to get there! More work to do, in the offseason.

• jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,680 ClubWRX

Why is this surprising?
    Kid has a IG account...people post on kid's IG account.

Unless the kid is in Jr High or High School...why does the kid have a IG account to begin with? Same logic with FB. What good comes out of showing and telling the world that you just ate a Chicken Sandwich for lunch?
    I'm not on either platform...so... I'm assuming there may be a good reason for a Jr. 12U to be on these platforms...I just haven't seen the logic.

@jj9000 said:
    Why is this surprising?

Unless the kid is in Jr High or High School...why does the kid have a IG account to begin with? Same logic with FB. What good comes out of showing and telling the world that you just ate a Chicken Sandwich for lunch?
    I'm not on either platform...so... I'm assuming there may be a good reason for a Jr. 12U to be on these platforms...I just haven't seen the logic.

Cold hard facts there. I see the reasoning for an adult to have social media and sharing kids golfing adventures (family, friends, etc) but this whole movement of children, literally children not teens, having an "independent" account is just really odd to me.

@BloctonGolf11 said:

@jj9000 said:
    Why is this surprising?

Cold hard facts there. I see the reasoning for an adult to have social media and sharing kids golfing adventures (family, friends, etc) but this whole movement of children, literally children not teens, having an "independent" account is just really odd to me.

This deserves its own forum entry - Should your junior golfer have a social media presence on Instagram / FB / Twitter?

@leezer99
    Start it up!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file