Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Tips/drills to slow tempo specifically transition

grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things I'm really trying to improve is slowing my tempo down especially my transition from back swing to start down.

I tend to want to get snatchy and quick at the top with my initial start down.

Tips/drills to slow it down and make it more gradual and slow/heavy feeling would be appreciated.

Ping G410 Plus
Ping G410 2 and 3 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-GW
Vokey SM6 56 and 60

Comments

• DaRizDaRiz SoCalMembers Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

FREEZERS
    all day every day

TS3 8.5* Kiyoshi Purple 75
    TS2 15* Kiyoshi Purple 75
    818H1 19* Atmos TS Blue 85
    4-6 MP-H4 s300
    7-PW MP-4 s300
    SM5 50.12F 54.14F SM7 60.12D
    #7 MXM
  • grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaRiz said:
    FREEZERS
    all day every day

What's that

Ping G410 Plus
    Ping G410 2 and 3 hybrid
    Vokey SM6 56 and 60
  • musclefrontmusclefront Members Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

Swing to the top - FREEZE completely - then swing down and strike the ball to a full finish. Hard to do if your sequence is off

• N0rs3manN0rs3man Members Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

What I do is wait till I feel my weight shift into left leg, that should slow things down

PXG 0811XF Gen. 2 HZRDUS ProjectX shaft
    King Cobra ROUGE X shaft woods
    Sterling single length irons
    Random putter

• glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Buy tour tempo app.

• lankslanks Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I like the rope drill, take a 3-4 foot piece of rope, go to top of backswing so it’s laying across your back, then swing with the feeling that you’re dragging the rope across your back/keeping it on your back as long as you can. Tyler Ferrell has a great video about it

• dollerisdolleris Members Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@musclefront said:
    Swing to the top - FREEZE completely - then swing down and strike the ball to a full finish. Hard to do if your sequence is off

I use this drill quite a bit w an 7-8 iron and it helps.

My bag
    PING G400 Max driver, G400 3 & 5 woods, G400 hybrid, Srixon Z565 5-PW, TM Milled Grind wedges, Yes Tracy III+ putter
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My pro had me do freezers, mainly to feel/start the downswing with the lower half. Always, have trouble starting the swing at the top from a still position.

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tanner25 said:
    My pro had me do freezers, mainly to feel/start the downswing with the lower half. Always, have trouble starting the swing at the top from a still position.

I think I should actually play all my full swing shots on course with freezers. I never hit the ball better than when I am drilling freezers. Always have ever since the first time I tried it. PW thru Driver I seem to just nut every one.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• Ping's DuckPing's Duck Members Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

If sequence-timing is sound generally don't want to mess with your natural tempo, so make sure to make full connected back swing.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a faster than normal tempo and quick transition plus fast hands at impact, and my club only reaches my shoulders. When I first took up the game I tried slowing my tempo/transition to an Earnie Els languid swing, like books and instructors talk about and found it wasn't worth the frustration. Point if your tempo/transition is natural it might not be the best to change it, but adjust to it. Food for thought.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

The motion that I am using requires a slower transition and slow start down. A lot of players have quick swings and quick transitions, nothing wrong with that.

Quick and jerky isn't really compatible for me with what I'm trying to do.

Ping G410 Plus
    Ping G410 2 and 3 hybrid
    Vokey SM6 56 and 60
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grantc79 said:
    The motion that I am using requires a slower transition and slow start down. A lot of players have quick swings and quick transitions, nothing wrong with that.

Quick and jerky isn't really compatible for me with what I'm trying to do.

My quick tempo and transition are not jerky. There is no way I'd be a 2-3 if my mechanics were jerky or...

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

@grantc79 said:
    One of the things I'm really trying to improve is slowing my tempo down especially my transition from back swing to start down.

I tend to want to get snatchy and quick at the top with my initial start down.

Tips/drills to slow it down and make it more gradual and slow/heavy feeling would be appreciated.

perhaps try a modified "freezer"/"freeze out" drill: start your swing from the top and use your transition move to trigger the downswing.

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

additionally, perhaps you could try slowing the entire swing down. this is something i've been working on lately and i think it's helping improve feel and sequence. e.g.:

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

• JRSJRS Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

use your inner monologue to set the tempo. i count one two there, like a waltz. take away on one. two is the top, go on three. it sounds like you'd have to hang at the top but there's minimal to no pause at the top when i do this.

• SirFuegoSirFuego Members Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 8, 2019 2:38am #18

I have found that the "Step Change" drill in the SuperSpeed protocols has really improved my tempo and made it easier to not get quick in transition. Basically, start the swing with your feet together then stride forward (like a baseball swing) to your normal stance width as you finish it. It really helps with the feeling of shifting your weight before the club starts coming down. You don't hit balls with the drill. You can gradually start the swing with a wider stance to get a feeling closer to a real swing.
    https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/training-protocols
    The training videos are in the link above. The drill I am referring to starts at about 2:50 of the level 1 protocol.

Another drill I do to work on tempo is what I call the rapid fire drill. Place 3-5 balls in a line a few inches apart -- far enough apart that you can hit one of them with a swing without hitting the others. Now address the first ball and hit it, however, after your follow through, you swing the club back, step forward, and hit the next ball in one continuous motion. Keep going until you hit all the balls. Basically, once you start swinging at the first ball, you don't stop moving until you've followed through on your last swing.

• Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,106 ClubWRX

I use the Easiest Swing (Julian Mellor). No position focus, fluid from start to finish, relaxed, no tension, seems easy like a practice swing, distance is awesome.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    Redbird 965 irons 5-PW, stiff steel
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10, SM7 58/12 reg graphite
    Putter: Ping Pal 4 BeCu
    Ball: Bridgestone E6 Soft[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • SilkySilky Members Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is the elusive goal of proper "sequencing", expending the first stage before firing the second stage. There are many swing thoughts and tips. There is a torsion in the core during the transition between the moving pelvic girdle and the inertia of the passive upper body - the dynamic X-factor torsion. Hogan mentioned about maintaining this torsion during transition. Some teachers advocate keeping the back facing the target longer. A good golf swing should effectively create and release this torsion. I prefer a more positive mental cue - launching /throwing/heaving the upper body with the lower body. That is how I think I expend the power and leverage of my lower body. I don't have a medicine ball, but it may be a useful practice tool.

• aggiegolfer21aggiegolfer21 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

Try counting "one" in your backswing and "Two, three" through your downswing and finish. Make sure you draw out the words though, don't say them quick and choppy. State "one" the entire length of your backswing and seamlessly transition to saying "two, three" in your downswing. There should be no pauses between the words.

• BdaGolferBdaGolfer Members Posts: 550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump, dump & turn. If you get the sequence right you can do it at whatever tempo is natural for you.

• dapdap Members Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pausing at the top is difficult to do especially under pressure. If I get a little snatchy at the top, I like to think cock my wrists more to complete the backswing. In other other words in the change of direction feel like you cock the wrist more. You can't cock and snatch at the same time if you think about it. If you look at Hogan he got the club past parallel at the top but it was mainly due to a lot of wrist cock.

• dtbnguyendtbnguyen Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
  • cagt13cagt13 Members Posts: 4

Whippy Tempomaster

• CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a metronome app on your phone. Its free, find the BPM that you want your swing to replicate, and away you go! Time your swing so the backswing starts on a beep, and the downswing starts on the next beep. 60-90 BPM is standard. I use it on 70 i believe.

Callaway

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file