***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Tips/drills to slow tempo specifically transition

grantc79 ·  
grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers  685WRX Points: 201Handicap: 2.7Posts: 685 Golden Tee

One of the things I'm really trying to improve is slowing my tempo down especially my transition from back swing to start down.

I tend to want to get snatchy and quick at the top with my initial start down.

Tips/drills to slow it down and make it more gradual and slow/heavy feeling would be appreciated.

Posted:
Ask me tomorrow. 

Comments

• DaRizDaRiz SoCalMembers  1600WRX Points: 166Handicap: 5.9Posts: 1,600 Platinum Tees

FREEZERS
    all day every day

Posted:
    G400 8.5* 757 Evo IV
    G400 14.5* Tour 75
    Apex 18* Kuro Kage 80
    HMB (4-5) MP-4 (6-P) s300
    SM7 50f/54f/60d 
    #7 MXM No 3 Jacks
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers  685WRX Points: 201Handicap: 2.7Posts: 685 Golden Tee

On -, @DaRiz said:

FREEZERS
    all day every day

What's that

Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 
  • musclefrontmusclefront Members  448WRX Points: 366Posts: 448 Greens

Swing to the top - FREEZE completely - then swing down and strike the ball to a full finish. Hard to do if your sequence is off

Posted:
  • N0rs3manN0rs3man Members  239WRX Points: 82Posts: 239 Fairways

What I do is wait till I feel my weight shift into left leg, that should slow things down

Posted:

Are you a scratch player? A: I sure am—every time I hit the ball I scratch my head and wonder where it went.

• glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  4272WRX Points: 782Posts: 4,272 Titanium Tees

Buy tour tempo app.

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

• lankslanks Members  85WRX Points: 76Posts: 85 Fairways

I like the rope drill, take a 3-4 foot piece of rope, go to top of backswing so it’s laying across your back, then swing with the feeling that you’re dragging the rope across your back/keeping it on your back as long as you can. Tyler Ferrell has a great video about it

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dollerisdolleris Members  771WRX Points: 109Posts: 771 Golden Tee

On -, @musclefront said:

Swing to the top - FREEZE completely - then swing down and strike the ball to a full finish. Hard to do if your sequence is off

I use this drill quite a bit w an 7-8 iron and it helps.

Posted:
    My bag
    PING G400 Max driver, G400 3 & 5 woods, G400 hybrid, Srixon Z565 5-PW, TM Milled Grind wedges, Yes Tracy III+ putter
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6737WRX Points: 331Posts: 6,737 Titanium Tees

My pro had me do freezers, mainly to feel/start the downswing with the lower half. Always, have trouble starting the swing at the top from a still position.

Posted:
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers  1012WRX Points: 238Handicap: 16.7Posts: 1,012 Platinum Tees

On -, @Tanner25 said:

My pro had me do freezers, mainly to feel/start the downswing with the lower half. Always, have trouble starting the swing at the top from a still position.

I think I should actually play all my full swing shots on course with freezers. I never hit the ball better than when I am drilling freezers. Always have ever since the first time I tried it. PW thru Driver I seem to just nut every one.

Posted:

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

If sequence-timing is sound generally don't want to mess with your natural tempo, so make sure to make full connected back swing.

Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

I have a faster than normal tempo and quick transition plus fast hands at impact, and my club only reaches my shoulders. When I first took up the game I tried slowing my tempo/transition to an Earnie Els languid swing, like books and instructors talk about and found it wasn't worth the frustration. Point if your tempo/transition is natural it might not be the best to change it, but adjust to it. Food for thought.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

Advertisement
  • grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers  685WRX Points: 201Handicap: 2.7Posts: 685 Golden Tee

The motion that I am using requires a slower transition and slow start down. A lot of players have quick swings and quick transitions, nothing wrong with that.

Quick and jerky isn't really compatible for me with what I'm trying to do.

Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

On -, @grantc79 said:

The motion that I am using requires a slower transition and slow start down. A lot of players have quick swings and quick transitions, nothing wrong with that.

Quick and jerky isn't really compatible for me with what I'm trying to do.

My quick tempo and transition are not jerky. There is no way I'd be a 2-3 if my mechanics were jerky or...

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens

On -, @grantc79 said:

One of the things I'm really trying to improve is slowing my tempo down especially my transition from back swing to start down.

I tend to want to get snatchy and quick at the top with my initial start down.

Tips/drills to slow it down and make it more gradual and slow/heavy feeling would be appreciated.

perhaps try a modified "freezer"/"freeze out" drill: start your swing from the top and use your transition move to trigger the downswing.

Posted:

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
    TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
    mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5*, c-taper 130g
    mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
    mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens

additionally, perhaps you could try slowing the entire swing down. this is something i've been working on lately and i think it's helping improve feel and sequence. e.g.:

Posted:

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
    TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
    mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5*, c-taper 130g
    mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
    mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

• JRSJRS Members  988WRX Points: 110Posts: 988 Golden Tee

use your inner monologue to set the tempo. i count one two there, like a waltz. take away on one. two is the top, go on three. it sounds like you'd have to hang at the top but there's minimal to no pause at the top when i do this.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Members  308WRX Points: 165Posts: 308 Greens

I have found that the "Step Change" drill in the SuperSpeed protocols has really improved my tempo and made it easier to not get quick in transition. Basically, start the swing with your feet together then stride forward (like a baseball swing) to your normal stance width as you finish it. It really helps with the feeling of shifting your weight before the club starts coming down. You don't hit balls with the drill. You can gradually start the swing with a wider stance to get a feeling closer to a real swing.
    https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/training-protocols
    The training videos are in the link above. The drill I am referring to starts at about 2:50 of the level 1 protocol.

Another drill I do to work on tempo is what I call the rapid fire drill. Place 3-5 balls in a line a few inches apart -- far enough apart that you can hit one of them with a swing without hitting the others. Now address the first ball and hit it, however, after your follow through, you swing the club back, step forward, and hit the next ball in one continuous motion. Keep going until you hit all the balls. Basically, once you start swinging at the first ball, you don't stop moving until you've followed through on your last swing.

Posted:
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX  1161WRX Points: 170Handicap: 11Posts: 1,161 ClubWRX

I use the Easiest Swing (Julian Mellor). No position focus, fluid from start to finish, relaxed, no tension, seems easy like a practice swing, distance is awesome.

Posted:
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    Ping i E1 irons, 5-W, Proj. X 5.5, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips
    Mizuno 52/8-degree and Vokey SM7 58/12-degree wedges
    Putter: Ping Zing 2, 36"
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • SilkySilky Members  731WRX Points: 80Posts: 731 Golden Tee

It is the elusive goal of proper "sequencing", expending the first stage before firing the second stage. There are many swing thoughts and tips. There is a torsion in the core during the transition between the moving pelvic girdle and the inertia of the passive upper body - the dynamic X-factor torsion. Hogan mentioned about maintaining this torsion during transition. Some teachers advocate keeping the back facing the target longer. A good golf swing should effectively create and release this torsion. I prefer a more positive mental cue - launching /throwing/heaving the upper body with the lower body. That is how I think I expend the power and leverage of my lower body. I don't have a medicine ball, but it may be a useful practice tool.

Posted:
  • aggiegolfer21aggiegolfer21 Members  115WRX Points: 49Handicap: 1.6Posts: 115 Fairways

Try counting "one" in your backswing and "Two, three" through your downswing and finish. Make sure you draw out the words though, don't say them quick and choppy. State "one" the entire length of your backswing and seamlessly transition to saying "two, three" in your downswing. There should be no pauses between the words.

Posted:
  • BdaGolferBdaGolfer Members  569WRX Points: 104Handicap: 3.0Posts: 569 Golden Tee

Bump, dump & turn. If you get the sequence right you can do it at whatever tempo is natural for you.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dapdap Members  2625WRX Points: 187Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees

Pausing at the top is difficult to do especially under pressure. If I get a little snatchy at the top, I like to think cock my wrists more to complete the backswing. In other other words in the change of direction feel like you cock the wrist more. You can't cock and snatch at the same time if you think about it. If you look at Hogan he got the club past parallel at the top but it was mainly due to a lot of wrist cock.

Posted:
  • dtbnguyendtbnguyen Members  27WRX Points: 71Posts: 27 Bunkers
    Posted:
  • cagt13cagt13 Members  4WRX Points: 25Posts: 4 Starters

Whippy Tempomaster

Posted:
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members  867WRX Points: 144Handicap: -Posts: 867 Golden Tee

Get a metronome app on your phone. Its free, find the BPM that you want your swing to replicate, and away you go! Time your swing so the backswing starts on a beep, and the downswing starts on the next beep. 60-90 BPM is standard. I use it on 70 i believe.

Posted:
    Callaway

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.