Looking to join a Club in LA (Riviera, Brentwood, Hillcrest or Bel Air)

dhmlaw3412

This is a general observation, so possibly not applicable to your situation, so take it for what it's worth. In some cities/towns, there are clubs with a strict "don't ask us...someone will (maybe) ask you" about membership. In the Bay Area, that is a club like SFGC, and in the LA area, that is LACC. There are other clubs in those towns that are close to it...membership is by invitation, and it is up to you to get at at least one member to do the legwork to introduce you to other members, and over time you might know enough members to get through their process. Then there are clubs where membership is by invitation, but the club itself will have a membership committee or a membership secretary who can be helpful to folks that are new to an area and are starting from scratch with no "friends" at the club to sponsor them. At clubs like this, the membership person or committee will help with that...helping with introductions etc.

I don't know where the clubs you listed fit in the spectrum. My guess is that Bel-Air is probably on one end (harder to join) and Riviera is on the other. The way you can sort that out is by contacting the clubs and asking about the process for membership...you will find out if the club itself can help at all in the process. No harm asking.

In today's world where clubs aren't what they used to be, you might be surprised by what you hear. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Back when the Hathaway family-controlled LAAC, RCC and California Yacht club I held a membership at LAAC and social at RCC, it was before I took up golf. Contact Riviera CC membership directly, it's corporate-owned. The principles I believe are founders of a Japanese RE company.

Your other choices are likely to want you to have a sponsoring member, and serious income is needed as each club's dues are high end. Not sure if the other clubs publicly offer a junior (non-voting and non-equity) membership which is typically made available to offspring under 40 of members but worth asking about. Good luck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I know members there and the process is different at each, and played each in the last year. RCC is actively trying to push members out I was told by my host last year. Why I have no clue, so that revelation most likely changes that potentially. Having a present member refer (and then multiple other members second) is in place to purposely act as a huge impediment from allowing anyone who is interested, to only allowing those in who would fit with the present membership. As imperfect as it is, it is the status quo. After the recession a great many private clubs adjusted their membership process as they needed more members. The clubs you mentioned are very exclusive and desirable, thus still have their traditional pathway as other than RCC they are member owned.

I don't know RCC's present strategy, thus taking them out of it for that reason. The other three I would ask 3 questions:

1. What are you and your wife's jobs/professions?

2. Were you a member at a private club previously before you moved to so cal?

3. Do you know any golfers at any private clubs presently?

It isn't a coincidence that lawyers, financial services professionals and business owners are prevalent members at high end clubs. Thus if you are in this demographic your network lends itself to increasing your opportunities as you are friends with these people, and friends are who refers friends for membership.

If you were a member at a private club previously, ask your pro/gm if they know any members or staff at your targeted clubs. They can possibly help with an intro, although at LACC/Bel-Air I don't think that will go far.

There are other private clubs to join which could be stepping stones for aspirational clubs in the area. A tier below those would be Rolling Hills which I haven't seen post renovation and supposed to be great, Mountaingate which is 27 holes and OK, Hacienda which gets a lot of respect from golfers for its conditioning and under the radar reputation. This will increase your network to possibly move in the future to more aspirational clubs.

Bel Air and LACC are aspirational clubs and take years to network to get into, if you aren't a legacy. Bel Air has welcomed actors/former athletes as of late as Jason Verlander recently joined as well as 2 other retired athletes I was told by our host just last month. LACC shuns actors / athletes traditionally, but is a much bigger membership as they have 2 courses and more family activities. Because most members are wealthy, they tend to keep their memberships until death, well past the time they stopped playing golf. Our member host at LACC thinks that maybe as low as 1/3 of their membership are active golfers. So once you get in you tend to stay in until passing. With the same membership cap, it means fewer opportunities to get in.

Another idea is to join a higher end club in LaQuinta/Palm Desert, which are easier to get into with just a check. Many of these clubs have members at LACC/BelAir/Lakeside/RCC. They are going to be as expensive in many cases or more. Madison Club (350k I think), Vintage Club, Bighorn. One that I looked at for future possible retirement, which I really liked was The Quarry at La Quinta and has an exclusive membership as well. As these are seasonal clubs due to heat the dues is what makes them more of a luxury for you are paying 2-3k a month in dues year round.

Good luck as getting into such clubs is not easy and takes first and foremost a way to build your network of golfing friends. I would say just be patient as I don't see an urgent need to be a member right away as a young professional (under 35). Give it time as this is how membership at private clubs work, they limit memberships for good reasons and is their right as a private club. The referral system IMO is the best way to do it and glad my clubs have it in place. Not everyone who simply wants to get in, is a fit. I have friends/acquaintances who I would play a round of golf with that I wouldn't necessarily recommend as a member as perhaps they wouldn't be a fit due to various reasons. Most members apply the same criteria, and I know of at least 1 top 25 club where you can only be a primary sponsor for a new member once every 2 years so as to spread the opportunities.

• Like 1

> @SCalGolfer said:

> Those are great clubs. Any George Thomas course is going to be awesome. If you are just looking for great golf there is a local public that is better than anything in SoCal except LACC and Riv IMO. Best of luck in your quest.

that's seriously high praise for rustic canyon. as good as it is, i'd put other LA /socal area private clubs ahead of it, but not trying to hijack this thread into a rankings pi**ing contest.

> @" bnr204" said:

> > @SCalGolfer said:

> > Those are great clubs. Any George Thomas course is going to be awesome. If you are just looking for great golf there is a local public that is better than anything in SoCal except LACC and Riv IMO. Best of luck in your quest.

>

> that's seriously high praise for rustic canyon. as good as it is, i'd put other LA /socal area private clubs ahead of it, but not trying to hijack this thread into a rankings pi**ing contest.

Yeah, no doubt. There are a lot of strong private courses around LA. I am a big fan of RC however as I like firm and strategic golf. It gets better every time I play there. Golf only I put it only behind LACC / Riv south of the Monterey Peninsula. JMO. Like you said this is a discussion about clubs so I'll leave it alone as well. Clubs are much more than just golf.

> @"Schley " said:

> I know members there and the process is different at each, and played each in the last year. RCC is actively trying to push members out I was told by my host last year. Why I have no clue, so that revelation most likely changes that potentially. Having a present member refer (and then multiple other members second) is in place to purposely act as a huge impediment from allowing anyone who is interested, to only allowing those in who would fit with the present membership. As imperfect as it is, it is the status quo. After the recession a great many private clubs adjusted their membership process as they needed more members. The clubs you mentioned are very exclusive and desirable, thus still have their traditional pathway as other than RCC they are member owned.

> I don't know RCC's present strategy, thus taking them out of it for that reason. The other three I would ask 3 questions:

> 1. What are you and your wife's jobs/professions?

> 2. Were you a member at a private club previously before you moved to so cal?

> 3. Do you know any golfers at any private clubs presently?

>

> It isn't a coincidence that lawyers, financial services professionals and business owners are prevalent members at high end clubs. Thus if you are in this demographic your network lends itself to increasing your opportunities as you are friends with these people, and friends are who refers friends for membership.

> If you were a member at a private club previously, ask your pro/gm if they know any members or staff at your targeted clubs. They can possibly help with an intro, although at LACC/Bel-Air I don't think that will go far.

> There are other private clubs to join which could be stepping stones for aspirational clubs in the area. A tier below those would be Rolling Hills which I haven't seen post renovation and supposed to be great, Mountaingate which is 27 holes and OK, Hacienda which gets a lot of respect from golfers for its conditioning and under the radar reputation. This will increase your network to possibly move in the future to more aspirational clubs.

>

> Bel Air and LACC are aspirational clubs and take years to network to get into, if you aren't a legacy. Bel Air has welcomed actors/former athletes as of late as Jason Verlander recently joined as well as 2 other retired athletes I was told by our host just last month. LACC shuns actors / athletes traditionally, but is a much bigger membership as they have 2 courses and more family activities. Because most members are wealthy, they tend to keep their memberships until death, well past the time they stopped playing golf. Our member host at LACC thinks that maybe as low as 1/3 of their membership are active golfers. So once you get in you tend to stay in until passing. With the same membership cap, it means fewer opportunities to get in.

>

> Another idea is to join a higher end club in LaQuinta/Palm Desert, which are easier to get into with just a check. Many of these clubs have members at LACC/BelAir/Lakeside/RCC. They are going to be as expensive in many cases or more. Madison Club (350k I think), Vintage Club, Bighorn. One that I looked at for future possible retirement, which I really liked was The Quarry at La Quinta and has an exclusive membership as well. As these are seasonal clubs due to heat the dues is what makes them more of a luxury for you are paying 2-3k a month in dues year round.

>

> Good luck as getting into such clubs is not easy and takes first and foremost a way to build your network of golfing friends. I would say just be patient as I don't see an urgent need to be a member right away as a young professional (under 35). Give it time as this is how membership at private clubs work, they limit memberships for good reasons and is their right as a private club. The referral system IMO is the best way to do it and glad my clubs have it in place. Not everyone who simply wants to get in, is a fit. I have friends/acquaintances who I would play a round of golf with that I wouldn't necessarily recommend as a member as perhaps they wouldn't be a fit due to various reasons. Most members apply the same criteria, and I know of at least 1 top 25 club where you can only be a primary sponsor for a new member once every 2 years so as to spread the opportunities.

>

>

This is a really great post. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Also consider Sherwood and El Cab (disclaimer, I'm a member at El Cab), depending on where you're located. Sherwood's a pretty fantastic course, and an impressive club all around. Biggest issue there is location, as unless you're in Westlake or the surrounding area (maybe West Valley), it's a hike from anywhere in LA. El Cab is a fantastic course, and has a solid membership. Much more reasonably priced, but still seems to play in the same league as the big boy clubs (we play Hillcrest, Lakeside, Bel-Air, etc. in team play, and they had reciprocity at El Cab when they did their course renovations). It's membership is historically Jewish, but nowhere near as hardcore about it Hillcrest or Brentwood. We're not Jewish, and it clearly not an issue. Happy to discuss further or take you out for a round if you want to PM me.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/27/2019 at 3:40 PM, dhmlaw3412 said:

Thank you all for the great responses. It truly means a lot. It looks like we have a lot to think about.

Stumbled upon this thread, as I recently moved to LA and played Brentwood yesterday. Did you end up joining a club?

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX

Titleist TSi2 3 Wood 15* - GD Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 20* - GD Tour AD DI 95X

Titleist T100 (4-PW) - PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50F, 54F, 58M)

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2022 at 11:13 AM, pb_n_joe said:

Stumbled upon this thread, as I recently moved to LA and played Brentwood yesterday. Did you end up joining a club?

It's only been two years. Unless he has friends in really high places, the wait list for Riv, Brent and Bel Air is certainly a lot longer. Bel Air is essentially impossible to get into unless you are buddies with a bunch of members and they create an exception. 

If the economy craters, your chances go up a lot.  My friend who knows 10 members at one of the elites is going through the process at that club and he’s been in the process for years.  The last good window to join any of them was after 08 collapse.  

Some clubs want to get rid of members because there is too much play.  Who wants to pay a tremendous amount of money and not be able to get a tee time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:43 AM, m_w said:

It's only been two years. Unless he has friends in really high places, the wait list for Riv, Brent and Bel Air is certainly a lot longer. Bel Air is essentially impossible to get into unless you are buddies with a bunch of members and they create an exception. 

Does Brentwood have a long list?   I’ve played it dozens of times, and frankly Rancho Park would be a better course if they put money into it.  

It’s a muni with grade A conditioning.