2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

St. Andrews pilgrimage advice and tips for planning

magix

I'm hoping with the collective wisdom of this forum's membership I will gain enough wisdom to plan a golf trip of a lifetime. I've been given the green light from the boss to take a one week trip in 2020 to St. Andrews to cross off my top bucket list item - play the Old Course. I'll likely be traveling solo and would like to keep costs reasonable, so no luxuries needed. My max budget is $4k to include the big ticket items - flights/transportation (from USA), lodging, food and green fees - which I think is doable but it also rules out tour companies. Please let me know if you disagree and/or think I need to rethink my budget. Below are a couple more brainstorms I'm trying to process so any input is very welcome.

1. My research says I have a chance to book a "private advanced tee time" for a single golfer for April 20th to July 31st so this will be my first option. If I don't get lucky with the ballot, what are my best options to secure a tee time on the Old Course? It seems like the 2 player minimum for a lot of the options is a restricting factor for my trip. I'm willing to camp outside the club house every day at midnight if it means I get to walk on somehow.

2. I think in one week my body could probably take 3 rounds of golf with rest days in between while also factoring in travel days/time difference. Besides the Old Course, what other two venues are close by that I should (realistically) try to get a tee time at? I know Kingsbarns is close by and is highly touted but not sure of the ease of booking. Also applies to Carnoustie. Any advice for this is greatly appreciated since I don't know the area and want maximize my week on the ground. It doesn't have to be championship level courses either.

3. This last one is pretty open as I've never planned a "golf only" trip, let alone overseas, so any advice on what I should focus on or things I haven't even thought of that you learned on your own golf travels would be so great. I'm so singularly focused on getting on the Old Course that I do feel like I'm forgetting everything else.

Thanks everyone!

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Titleist 917F2 15* EvenFlow 6.0
Titleist 917F2 18* Diamana Blue S
Titleist 818 H1 4H, Titleist 913 5H
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW with PX 6.0
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Phantom X5.5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons of good information in this thread: [https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1504576/scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/p1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1504576/scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/p1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1504576/scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/p1")

I don't think you should have a problem getting a tee time in the singles lottery. I was there in late April this year, and it was easy to walk on to the other courses. In addition to the Old Course, the Castle course was excellent. Kingsbarns was excellent as well. The Castle course is included in the singles lottery package. I had no issues booking Kingsbarns. I had an early tee time on Monday morning.

Are you planning to get a rental car to travel outside St Andrews, or are going to stay local? You can save a few $$$ by taking a bus from Edinburgh to St Andrews, and using a taxi around town. You can take a bus/train to Carnoustie.

My trip started on a Saturday night, and I returned the following Saturday. I played 5 rounds. The total cost was well below $4000.

Here's my trip report: [https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1764919/st-andrews-trip-report-april-2019/p1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1764919/st-andrews-trip-report-april-2019/p1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1764919/st-andrews-trip-report-april-2019/p1")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @magix said:

> 2. I think in one week my body could probably take 3 rounds of golf with rest days in between while also factoring in travel days/time difference. Besides the Old Course, what other two venues are close by that I should (realistically) try to get a tee time at? I know Kingsbarns is close by and is highly touted but not sure of the ease of booking. Also applies to Carnoustie. Any advice for this is greatly appreciated since I don't know the area and want maximize my week on the ground. It doesn't have to be championship level courses either.

> 3. This last one is pretty open as I've never planned a "golf only" trip, let alone overseas, so any advice on what I should focus on or things I haven't even thought of that you learned on your own golf travels would be so great. I'm so singularly focused on getting on the Old Course that I do feel like I'm forgetting everything else.

>

> Thanks everyone!

$4K is plenty for a solo trip to St Andrews so budget shouldn't be an issue.

How old are you and do you currently walk when you play? Assuming you are in decent shape there is no reason you won't be able to play at least 18 holes a day. I was there when I was 51 and we played 36 a day every day but one.

Other than the Old Course, most of the courses offer advance booking online including Kingsbarns and Carnoustie. In addition to those and the other St Andrews courses there are a TON of other courses like Crail, Elie, etc.

As a single you should have no problem getting on the Old Course. Either by waiting or using BallotBuddy. You'll just need to plan it around your other rounds if those are booked in advance.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

There are seven golf courses in the St. Andrews area. Plus a castle, old church and the beach area. Plenty to do for a week and all in walking distance except Kingsbarn which is a mile away.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

> @Argonne69 said:

> Tons of good information in this thread: [https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1504576/scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/p1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1504576/scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/p1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1504576/scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/p1")

>

> I don't think you should have a problem getting a tee time in the singles lottery. I was there in late April this year, and it was easy to walk on to the other courses. In addition to the Old Course, the Castle course was excellent. Kingsbarns was excellent as well. The Castle course is included in the singles lottery package. I had no issues booking Kingsbarns. I had an early tee time on Monday morning.

>

> Are you planning to get a rental car to travel outside St Andrews, or are going to stay local? You can save a few $$$ by taking a bus from Edinburgh to St Andrews, and using a taxi around town. You can take a bus/train to Carnoustie.

>

> My trip started on a Saturday night, and I returned the following Saturday. I played 5 rounds. The total cost was well below $4000.

>

> Here's my trip report: [https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1764919/st-andrews-trip-report-april-2019/p1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1764919/st-andrews-trip-report-april-2019/p1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1764919/st-andrews-trip-report-april-2019/p1")

>

>

Thanks everyone! I read through some older threads and got some more insight on what I should do to maximize my time there. I'll likely just stay in the area and play the courses since there are so many to choose from. I submitted by solo application this morning so fingers crossed I hear good news by end of October and get to play the Old and Castle course. Both sound challenging after reading Argonne's thread. A little intimidated but better work on my putting and driving.

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

> @jvincent said:

> > @magix said:

> > 2. I think in one week my body could probably take 3 rounds of golf with rest days in between while also factoring in travel days/time difference. Besides the Old Course, what other two venues are close by that I should (realistically) try to get a tee time at? I know Kingsbarns is close by and is highly touted but not sure of the ease of booking. Also applies to Carnoustie. Any advice for this is greatly appreciated since I don't know the area and want maximize my week on the ground. It doesn't have to be championship level courses either.

> > 3. This last one is pretty open as I've never planned a "golf only" trip, let alone overseas, so any advice on what I should focus on or things I haven't even thought of that you learned on your own golf travels would be so great. I'm so singularly focused on getting on the Old Course that I do feel like I'm forgetting everything else.

> >

> > Thanks everyone!

>

> $4K is plenty for a solo trip to St Andrews so budget shouldn't be an issue.

>

> How old are you and do you currently walk when you play? Assuming you are in decent shape there is no reason you won't be able to play at least 18 holes a day. I was there when I was 51 and we played 36 a day every day but one.

>

> Other than the Old Course, most of the courses offer advance booking online including Kingsbarns and Carnoustie. In addition to those and the other St Andrews courses there are a TON of other courses like Crail, Elie, etc.

>

> As a single you should have no problem getting on the Old Course. Either by waiting or using BallotBuddy. You'll just need to plan it around your other rounds if those are booked in advance.

>

>

I'll be 35 by the time I get over there in 2020 and I try to walk my rounds these days to get some exercise. However that's once every two weeks or a month (I have a new toddler at home so not much time to play). Also, I've had back problems for a number of reasons so 3 rounds in a week seems aggressive to me. Maybe a 4th if I can run on pure adrenaline! I think I've narrowed my 3 main choices to TOC, Castle and Kingsbarns. If I need a substitute, then the New or Jubilee courses will be just fine with me. I think walking on as a single can be done if I grab a pint, sleep early and hang out at the club house all day. :smiley:

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

> @magix said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > > @magix said:

> > > 2. I think in one week my body could probably take 3 rounds of golf with rest days in between while also factoring in travel days/time difference. Besides the Old Course, what other two venues are close by that I should (realistically) try to get a tee time at? I know Kingsbarns is close by and is highly touted but not sure of the ease of booking. Also applies to Carnoustie. Any advice for this is greatly appreciated since I don't know the area and want maximize my week on the ground. It doesn't have to be championship level courses either.

> > > 3. This last one is pretty open as I've never planned a "golf only" trip, let alone overseas, so any advice on what I should focus on or things I haven't even thought of that you learned on your own golf travels would be so great. I'm so singularly focused on getting on the Old Course that I do feel like I'm forgetting everything else.

> > >

> > > Thanks everyone!

> >

> > $4K is plenty for a solo trip to St Andrews so budget shouldn't be an issue.

> >

> > How old are you and do you currently walk when you play? Assuming you are in decent shape there is no reason you won't be able to play at least 18 holes a day. I was there when I was 51 and we played 36 a day every day but one.

> >

> > Other than the Old Course, most of the courses offer advance booking online including Kingsbarns and Carnoustie. In addition to those and the other St Andrews courses there are a TON of other courses like Crail, Elie, etc.

> >

> > As a single you should have no problem getting on the Old Course. Either by waiting or using BallotBuddy. You'll just need to plan it around your other rounds if those are booked in advance.

> >

> >

>

> I'll be 35 by the time I get over there in 2020 and I try to walk my rounds these days to get some exercise. However that's once every two weeks or a month (I have a new toddler at home so not much time to play). Also, I've had back problems for a number of reasons so 3 rounds in a week seems aggressive to me. Maybe a 4th if I can run on pure adrenaline! I think I've narrowed my 3 main choices to TOC, Castle and Kingsbarns. If I need a substitute, then the New or Jubilee courses will be just fine with me. I think walking on as a single can be done if I grab a pint, sleep early and hang out at the club house all day. :smiley:

I don't think you can go wrong with the courses you chose. I'm assuming you chose the Castle course because of the mandatory 2nd course on the singles lottery. You *should* be able to change that to the New or Jubilee if you like when you're at St Andrews. If you strike out on the singles lottery for TOC (like I did last year), you can network through a site called "Ballot Buddy" that someone mentioned above. I was able to network with some people via the site and we entered the 48 hour ballot together in St. Andrews. We were fortunate to get picked for a tee time a month ago at TOC. Obviously if you strike out on all of those options, you should go get in line at 2-3am and you'll get on. Realistically, the singles ballot and the 48 hour ballot are long shots, but you never know.

The ballot buddy link is below. My group's photo and a few quotes from us are on the front page.

[https://gingerbeergolftravel.com/st-andrews-old-course-single-golfer-ballot/](https://gingerbeergolftravel.com/st-andrews-old-course-single-golfer-ballot/ "https://gingerbeergolftravel.com/st-andrews-old-course-single-golfer-ballot/")

My recommendations are TOC, Kingsbarns, and Carnoustie. Carnoustie was a really special place and is my favorite course I played in Scotland. It is like a 45 minute drive, so keep that in mind. Kingsbarns is amazing, albeit a bit overpriced. TOC is, well, TOC and is a mandatory play.

> @ceejay81 said:

> I don't think you can go wrong with the courses you chose. I'm assuming you chose the Castle course because of the mandatory 2nd course on the singles lottery. You *should* be able to change that to the New or Jubilee if you like when you're at St Andrews. If you strike out on the singles lottery for TOC (like I did last year), you can network through a site called "Ballot Buddy" that someone mentioned above. I was able to network with some people via the site and we entered the 48 hour ballot together in St. Andrews. We were fortunate to get picked for a tee time a month ago at TOC. Obviously if you strike out on all of those options, you should go get in line at 2-3am and you'll get on. Realistically, the singles ballot and the 48 hour ballot are long shots, but you never know.

>

> The ballot buddy link is below. My group's photo and a few quotes from us are on the front page.

>

> [https://gingerbeergolftravel.com/st-andrews-old-course-single-golfer-ballot/](https://gingerbeergolftravel.com/st-andrews-old-course-single-golfer-ballot/ "https://gingerbeergolftravel.com/st-andrews-old-course-single-golfer-ballot/")

>

> My recommendations are TOC, Kingsbarns, and Carnoustie. Carnoustie was a really special place and is my favorite course I played in Scotland. It is like a 45 minute drive, so keep that in mind. Kingsbarns is amazing, albeit a bit overpriced. TOC is, well, TOC and is a mandatory play.

Correct. Castle is the other required course for the singles ballot. I'm certainly in for that course if I can get a confirmed tee time. Carnoustie would be a dream too but requires a little travel. Will have to see how planning goes.

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

Definitely get a caddie for ToC and Castle. Heck, if I had a bad back I'd get a caddie for each round.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Nothing against the Castle course, I haven’t played it, but after having it assigned when we got our time for The Old I got it switched to the New with a quick phone call - the whole place has amazing communication and customer service IMO.

FYI, the wife and I recently returned from 14 nights over there and $4k was about right on for a total for our plane tickets, and pretty incredible digs in two different places. You won’t need a tour company, the trip will easily fit into less than your projected budget and lots of great info on here!

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Nothing against the Castle course, I haven’t played it, but after having it assigned when we got our time for The Old I got it switched to the New with a quick phone call - the whole place has amazing communication and customer service IMO.

>

> FYI, the wife and I recently returned from 14 nights over there and $4k was about right on for a total for our plane tickets, and pretty incredible digs in two different places. You won’t need a tour company, the trip will easily fit into less than your projected budget and lots of great info on here!

And totally second Ferguson’s Ferguson suggestion and his book. It’s fun winter pre-trip reading, has good ideas, etc. For our first trip I gladly paid him for some email/phone consult time that was well worth it to me and when we had an issue within 60 days of our trip of one of our rentals being canceled on us (nothing to to with him, btw), I sent him a frantic “help” email on a Saturday morning and he came up with some very timely help!

There is a site out there for the St. Andrews area where you can post your days and get responses and offers from various B&B and hotels that participate. Stayinstandrews.com I believe. And other letting cocncerns that have multiple listings. I’d stay in town if I went back. Until we got “bumped” we were in a flat two blocks from the first tee. Too late after having something reserved for 5 months so ended up in a nice rental on the sea in Lower Largo and an easy drive in and out of St. Andrews and to other area courses and activities. Lemons into lemonade!

> @Argonne69 said:

> Definitely get a caddie for ToC and Castle. Heck, if I had a bad back I'd get a caddie for each round.

I'll likely get one for TOC based on all the posts and reviews I've read. Easy to fire at all the wrong greens. LOL Not to mention if a caddie can push a 4th round out of my body then it'll all be worth it.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Nothing against the Castle course, I haven’t played it, but after having it assigned when we got our time for The Old I got it switched to the New with a quick phone call - the whole place has amazing communication and customer service IMO.

Amazing idea! I was wondering if this was possible. If the fates grant me the lottery, I'll definitely put in a phone call to see if the New or Jubilee course can be switched out for the Castle course. From what I've read, the Castle isn't a "tradition" Scottish style course so I'd like to play something I can't get in the states. Fingers crossed.

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

Castle may not be traditional, but you're not going to find too many in the U.S. like it. I'd play it over New or Jubilee any day. If you take a caddie for each round, you should have enough gas in the tank for a fourth round, and Jubilee or New would fit the bill.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Castle may not be traditional, but you're not going to find too many in the U.S. like it. I'd play it over New or Jubilee any day. If you take a caddie for each round, you should have enough gas in the tank for a fourth round, and Jubilee or New would fit the bill.

>

No complaints here if I can fit 2 of 3 of these - Castle, New or Jubilee. I think my cornerstones are TOC and Kingsbarns. All else is icing on the cake. :)

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

> @magix said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Definitely get a caddie for ToC and Castle. Heck, if I had a bad back I'd get a caddie for each round.

>

> I'll likely get one for TOC based on all the posts and reviews I've read. Easy to fire at all the wrong greens. LOL Not to mention if a caddie can push a 4th round out of my body then it'll all be worth it.

>

Just a note that if you tee off on the Old Course before a certain time of day (noon or 1PM IIRC) push carts are not allowed so you have carry or get a caddie.

Being in St. Andrews for one week and playing ONLY 3 rounds of golf is a sin.

I'm 44 and have serious back problems, but when I go there I try to play 36 holes a day.

Take with you some fans and go playing as much as you can.

If I had to choose 3 courses theywould be definitly TOC, Canoustie (you have to play there at least once) and the jubilee.

But you should also play Lundin, leven, Elie and Crail.

You should also drive up to Gleanegles (1 hour)

You can do it.

With that budget just rent a car and sleep in an air b&b.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > Hit the club you are most confident with on the first tee at the Old Course, you will be very nervous.

>

> Totally agree, but standing there looking at the area we had available to land the ball inspired a lot of confidence!

It would be interesting to spend a day with some pints behind the first tee and chart where people's tee balls end up.

I used a tour company, stayed at the Fairmont for 7 nights, and including the 6 rounds of golf we paid @ $2,700 the first week in August. If we stayed at a smaller place downtown, we probably could have spent closer to $2,000.

That doesnt include the flight but dont rule out a tour company just because you *think* it might be expensive.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @jvincent said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @imakaveli said:

> > > Hit the club you are most confident with on the first tee at the Old Course, you will be very nervous.

> >

> > Totally agree, but standing there looking at the area we had available to land the ball inspired a lot of confidence!

>

> It would be interesting to spend a day with some pints behind the first tee and chart where people's tee balls end up.

I'm not sure what the laws are in Scotland abut drinking in public, but that area is a public street. On the other hand, if you know a member and can get into the R&A clubhouse, you'd have the perfect vantage point. Even without drinking, though, its fun to stand and watch for a bit, you'll see every kind of shot any of us ever imagined.

> @davep043 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > Hit the club you are most confident with on the first tee at the Old Course, you will be very nervous.

> > >

> > > Totally agree, but standing there looking at the area we had available to land the ball inspired a lot of confidence!

> >

> > It would be interesting to spend a day with some pints behind the first tee and chart where people's tee balls end up.

>

> I'm not sure what the laws are in Scotland abut drinking in public, but that area is a public street. On the other hand, if you know a member and can get into the R&A clubhouse, you'd have the perfect vantage point. Even without drinking, though, its fun to stand and watch for a bit, you'll see every kind of shot any of us ever imagined.

When we were there we watched some guys teeing off on 18. The wind was off the left, so the smart play would have been to aim down the first fairway. Nope.

They lined up right down the middle of 18, and hit what weren't terrible fades but the wind caught them and blew them right over the OB and onto the street. One hop and it bounced off one of the buildings, I can't remember which one.

> @Mignuz said:

> Being in St. Andrews for one week and playing ONLY 3 rounds of golf is a sin.

> I'm 44 and have serious back problems, but when I go there I try to play 36 holes a day.

The more I research the more I'm tempted to play 5 straight days. LOL Last week I went to the range 3 times and played 9 holes on Friday to see how my back would hold up. It was definitely tight but manageable. I think if I train like this a few months out from the departure date I can get in great golf shape and push the limits. Although 36 in a day would be really pushing it if I want to play even half decent golf while I'm there.

> @imakaveli said:

> Hit the club you are most confident with on the first tee at the Old Course, you will be very nervous.

I can only imagine! My head has been day dreaming of the first tee shot on TOC and I have no idea what to pull out of the bag. Likely driver and just pray to be honest. The fairway seems very generous so anything in either fairway would be a dream. I'm bringing two dozen balls on that day just be safe. :D

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

> @dcmidnight said:

> I used a tour company, stayed at the Fairmont for 7 nights, and including the 6 rounds of golf we paid @ $2,700 the first week in August. If we stayed at a smaller place downtown, we probably could have spent closer to $2,000.

>

> That doesnt include the flight but dont rule out a tour company just because you *think* it might be expensive.

Which tour company if you don't mind me asking? It'd be good to just get a quote.

> @davep043 said:

> I'm not sure what the laws are in Scotland abut drinking in public, but that area is a public street. On the other hand, if you know a member and can get into the R&A clubhouse, you'd have the perfect vantage point. Even without drinking, though, its fun to stand and watch for a bit, you'll see every kind of shot any of us ever imagined.

I understand TOC has a handicap requirement and I fall into it thankfully. I'm really curious how I'll fare on a links course since all I ever play is parkland in the states. Not to mention the adrenaline and nerves coursing through the veins. Not that I'm focused on score (more so for my playing partner's sake), I think a score of 90 or better and I'll be over the moon.

Any advice on what to work on for links golf? I can only remember one time playing in winds stronger than 15 mph and I'll just say my handicap was obliterated.

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

> @magix said:

> I understand TOC has a handicap requirement and I fall into it thankfully. I'm really curious how I'll fare on a links course since all I ever play is parkland in the states. Not to mention the adrenaline and nerves coursing through the veins. Not that I'm focused on score (more so for my playing partner's sake), I think a score of 90 or better and I'll be over the moon.

> Any advice on what to work on for links golf? I can only remember one time playing in winds stronger than 15 mph and I'll just say my handicap was obliterated.

Both times that I played the Old Course, I had arranged it through the Advanced Reservation System. Even though we had provided them with our home club and handicap information, they still asked for our handicap cards at the Starter's hut, so be sure to take your proof of handicap.

If you had enough time and talent, you could try to learn how to hit shots lower, and with less spin, and how to bend shots to counteract a crosswind but most of us don't have that option. So just get your game in decent shape, and stick with what you know. Don't fight the wind, just allow your ball to be blown off its starting line, and adjust the starting line accordingly And take a caddie, he'll be able to help you understand the wind, and its effect.

Short game stuff is hard to practice at home, since few of us have the firm tight turf that you'll find on Scottish links courses. However, if you're in St Andrews, the practice area has an extensive short-game area where you can practice hitting putter from 10 or 20 or 30 yards from the greens. Try some low running chips to learn how the ball will bounce and roll. The option to use putter for these shots was, to me, the biggest change from my normal game that I saw in Scotland.

For the first tee, I recommend that you watch a few groups tee off before you're set to play. You'll see some good shots, but you'll also see a variety of "others". Hopefully, this will help you relax, you'll know that there are lots of folks just good or bad as you are. Then aim at the wee gorse bush just to the golfer's right of the Swilcan Bridge, and make a good swing.

> @jvincent said:

> The wind was off the left, so the smart play would have been to aim down the first fairway. Nope.

Lots of people have recommendations about the "smart play" - and then before you know it its actually you standing up there on the tee box. With the ocean and the town in the background. And 15-20 people watching. And cars driving by.

You know Tyson's saying, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth? So teeing off on 1 or 18 of TOC is something like that LOL.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @davep043 said:

> Short game stuff is hard to practice at home, since few of us have the firm tight turf that you'll find on Scottish links courses. However, if you're in St Andrews, the practice area has an extensive short-game area where you can practice hitting putter from 10 or 20 or 30 yards from the greens. Try some low running chips to learn how the ball will bounce and roll. The option to use putter for these shots was, to me, the biggest change from my normal game that I saw in Scotland.

I agree. From what I've read putting off the green even from 80 yards isn't unheard of. No clue how to practice that kind of shot around here. I'll likely get in a little practice once I'm there to see how the ball rolls. I guess I'll incorporate punch draws and cuts at the range over the coming months. I've always had a hard time controlling the amount of curve with those shots. Always something to improve upon.

> @dcmidnight said:

> Lots of people have recommendations about the "smart play" - and then before you know it its actually you standing up there on the tee box. With the ocean and the town in the background. And 15-20 people watching. And cars driving by.

I watched a video on YouTube from No Laying Up and Erik Anders Lang to see the first tee shot on TOC. Oh boy were there a lot of people watching! My hands got sweaty just watching it. Although any tee time is great, I'm almost praying for something before 7am so there's less people walking around. LOL

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5