Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf camp / Coach for 9 and 13 year old boys

Hi all,
Am based in Asia and planning to bring my 2 boys (aged 13 and 9) to the US in mid-Dec for a 1 week intensive golf camp. They have been playing for a couple of years, have mid-teen and low 20s hcap, and are competing now. Appreciate any recommendations.

Comments

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@tiger1873 said:
    Don't waste your time play golf and tournaments. If you want instruction find a instructor and do private lessons. Most camps are a complete waste of money.

Camps are Ca$h cows.
    Better off finding a pro that will observe and play while they're here. Where in the US are you coming too?

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think if he found an Academy like IMG, Bishop's Gate, etc. that ran a camp it would be beneficial.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@heavy_hitter said:
    I think if he found an Academy like IMG, Bishop's Gate, etc. that ran a camp it would be beneficial.

I highly doubt it most of those camps just go through the motions. I really don't blame them 1 week is not really enough to learn that much especially when it's group of kids. For a few grand you're better off getting a pro to work with them for 2 or 3 hours in the morning and then practice it in the afternoon. Kid has to disciplined but if there not then no reason to send them to an expensive camp either.

• Stryker1808Stryker1808 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

@tiger1873 said:
    Don't waste your time play golf and tournaments. If you want instruction find a instructor and do private lessons. Most camps are a complete waste of money.

I hear you. Not looking for a large group but thought mixing it up with 2-3 other kids may make it more fun for them.

@TripleBogeysrbetter said:
    Camps are Ca$h cows.
    Better off finding a pro that will observe and play while they're here. Where in the US are you coming too?

Am flexible. Thinking of either West Coast, Texas or Florida. 😊

@heavy_hitter said:

Have been recommended Mike Bender and also TPC Sawgrass. Am leaning towards TPC Sawgrass as they can either do 1 on 1, or group of 4, with playing time in the afternoon. I'll do some research into IMG, Bishops Gate. Thanks!

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

@Stryker1808 said:

@heavy_hitter said:

Have been recommended Mike Bender and also TPC Sawgrass. Am leaning towards TPC Sawgrass as they can either do 1 on 1, or group of 4, with playing time in the afternoon. I'll do some research into IMG, Bishops Gate. Thanks!

TPC Sawgrass is very good. Jordan Dempsey is an instructor there and he is very good. The World Golf Village also has a learning center and they do camps as well.

@Golfingdawg19 said:

@Stryker1808 said:

@heavy_hitter said:

TPC Sawgrass is very good. Jordan Dempsey is an instructor there and he is very good. The World Golf Village also has a learning center and they do camps as well.

Awesome. Thanks!

• TuguTugu Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
  • Meowmix10000Meowmix10000 Members Posts: 3

I put my two boys in Nike Golf camps over the Summer..They had a ton of fun, made some great friends but came out playing worse than when they started

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file