Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

The Ocean Course Advice

I'm headed to play The Ocean Course in December. Anyone have any tips or advice for a first timer? This will be my first time using a caddie so I am looking forward to that.

Is this place fairly laid back or am I going to be judged for changing shoes in the parking lot?

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I played it in late December a few years back, and found it to be very laid back. Heck, the place was practically deserted at that time of the year. I wouldn't sweat it.

Dye courses are very scoreable if you play the right tees. If the wind is up, though, it can be a real challenge.

• cmb71cmb71 ClubWRX Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's in my top 5 courses (I have played) and have been fortunate enough to play it 3 times. It is fairly laid back, and especially at that time of year. Argonne69 is dead on... pick the right tees, and cross your fingers for lighter winds. I found their caddies to only enhance the experience each time I played, especially with tricky green reads. Maybe I was lucky. Here's hoping for good weather and definitely have lunch/drinks on the porch.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9* - MC Tensei Pro Orange V2 60 TX
    TaylorMade M5 15* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7
    TaylorMade GAPR LO 2 Iron - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade P7-TW 3-PW - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 54* & 60* - Nippon Modus 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been twice and it's pretty easygoing.

Caddies are helpful with lines off the tee. Like most Dye courses it can be visually intimidating but there is actually a lot of room for misses. Both times I've played it the wind was down so it wasn't that tough.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's a resort course, don't think anyone is going to "judge" you for much of anything. Although Kiawah is certainly the kind of place makes it worth taking your time and relaxing. Not sure why you'd want to be in too much of a hurry to change shoes in the locker room. That Island is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places around. Get there a little early, have a good warmup, take in the view from the clubhouse, live it up. Lord knows the round will cost you enough, no extra charge for hanging around an hour before and after.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • OleVirginiaOleVirginia Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

They do have a locker room there if you'd like to bring your shoes in to change...

TBM

• jjmurryjjmurry Washington, DCMembers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

Like others have said, wind is definitely a factor. I played it in windy conditions and found it to be a 2 club difference into the wind and only a one club wind down wind. I've only played once so take my advice with a grain of salt. Best of luck! It's an incredible place, really visually stunning in my opinion.

Ping G410 LST - Tensei CK Orange 65X
    Titleist U510 - Project X HZRDZ Smoke Black 85g 6.5
    JPX 900 Tour PW-3i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60* - C-Taper 130x
    Ping Anser 2
    Snell MTB-X
  • BTE0816BTE0816 Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

Thanks for all the feedback guys. My wife is running the marathon that day so hopefully we will have weather that is nice for both of us.

• PapaJohickPapaJohick ShortKnocker Bombs Charleston, SCMembers Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve played it every year for the past 6 years or so. Pretty laid back. I change my shoes in the parking lot. I’ll go to the locker room/bathrooms occasionally. I agree with what some have said though. Get there a little earlier than you typically would just to enjoy the scenery. Hit some balls, try to putt a little, maybe grab a cocktail to calm your nerves on the way to the first tee, and have fun. Choose tees that are roughly 1-300 yards shorter than you’re used to for two reasons: 1) the wind can make it play very long especially the back nine and 2) if you’re from anywhere with elevation (even like 500 feet to 1000), at sea level your ball will not go as far as you think.

If it’s gusty, my buddies and I will play the kiawah tees. If it’s pretty mild, dye tees. Played the ocean tees once and while fun, it was hard haha.

Forever Changing at this point.......

TG2 Podcast Guest: 
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve played it a bunch. It is a resort course so basically no one is going to give a crap what you do with your shoes.

It can be evil if the wind is up. The last time I played it in April a couple of years ago the win was so strong that we felt like we were sandblasted walking off the course.

• burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the first tee time in the morning so you can play at a reasonable pace with calmer winds.

• PuttLeftHitRightPuttLeftHitRight Members Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's kinda laid back, but at the same time you are on some of the most expensive real estate in the country and The Sanctuary down the road is a 5 star resort.

• nutmegchoinutmegchoi Members Posts: 29 ✭✭

Played few times and absolutely love the course.
    Look for Ethan Mayo.
    He is a great one to carry your bag.

TM M6 Driver
    TM M4 3 Wood
    Ping G410 3 Wood
    Ping G410 hybrids
    PXG 3011 XF Irons
    Vokey 50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Coronado
  • cmb71cmb71 ClubWRX Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PuttLeftHitRight said:
    It's kinda laid back, but at the same time you are on some of the most expensive real estate in the country and The Sanctuary down the road is a 5 star resort.

The Sanctuary is one of the top 5 places I have ever stayed. I hope to go back next Spring.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9* - MC Tensei Pro Orange V2 60 TX
    TaylorMade M5 15* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7
    TaylorMade GAPR LO 2 Iron - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade P7-TW 3-PW - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 54* & 60* - Nippon Modus 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR

Stayed at The Sanctuary couple times.
    In fact, just came back from after 6 days stay.
    3 days later, the place is shut down because of hurricane Dorian.

TM M6 Driver
    TM M4 3 Wood
    Ping G410 3 Wood
    Ping G410 hybrids
    PXG 3011 XF Irons
    Vokey 50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Coronado

If you don't want to make a trip all the way to Charleston for dinner,
    (after eating one too many times at The Ocean Room, Jasmine Porch, Cherrywood BBQ, Ryder Cup Bar, The Atlantic Room, The Players’ Pub... etc)
    there's a really good Mexican restaurant pass Freshfields Village called La Fogata at Bohicket Marina.
    Also, check out Fat Hen (casual french) and The Royal Tern (seafood) in Johns Island (20 min drive from Kiawah).
    Dive bar Tattooed Moose nearby as well.

TM M6 Driver
    TM M4 3 Wood
    Ping G410 3 Wood
    Ping G410 hybrids
    PXG 3011 XF Irons
    Vokey 50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Coronado
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭

Room Service shrimp and grits are off the charts at the Sanctuary. Loved them so much I ordered them at Jasmine Porch (assuming they made the RS shrimp and grits) the next day. While incredibly good, they were different and not quite as good as the RS. Love the food in general in that area of the country.

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ocean Course is a great experience, but with much wind it will be a brute. Just try to enjoy the experience and not sweat the score. Take your time and enjoy the clubhouse, etc. Laid back environment, though stylish, etc. You’ll have great fun!

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Luando85Luando85 AshevilleMembers Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

It’s a pretty chill spot, I would suggest getting rest the night before. I had one too many the night before and totally regretted it. Especially when you’re walking those waste bunkers

• fsutankerfsutanker Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭

Any news on how Kiawah and the Ocean Course fared through the hurricane?

They are closed since Monday and were going to do course assessment on Thursday.
    But since the hurricane actually came through on Thursday, I highly doubt that happened.

TM M6 Driver
    TM M4 3 Wood
    Ping G410 3 Wood
    Ping G410 hybrids
    PXG 3011 XF Irons
    Vokey 50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Coronado
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've played it twice, and both times we got the same caddie. Ask for Willy, great guy and a lot of fun.

When I played it earlier this April, we played in 35 mph winds. Willy's wind-adjusted yardages were spot-on. That alone made him worth every penny. We had an absolute blast.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • dhc1dhc1 NYCMembers Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are going in a couple of weeks and our friend who has a house there stated that things should be fine.

• dhc1dhc1 NYCMembers Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fsutanker said:

We are going in a couple of weeks and our friend who has a house there stated that things should be fine.

• burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fsutanker said:

Resort and courses reopened today.

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 12:48pm #26

I play once a year. Course it’s obviously unbelievable. Caddies in past years have been hit or miss - some great, some not so much. I don’t take one anymore because the last few have been lacking. (This coming from a former caddie- so I do appreciate the value a good caddie can bring... But know that a dud can actually diminish the experience). Expect the round to take close to five hours - People go to a place like that and spend a ton of money, they want to lollygag and get their moneys worth I guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file