Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Wife needs a new car... suggestions?

MychMych Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 24, 2019 2:39am in The 19th Hole #1

Wife and I haven't car-shopped in a while so I'm looking for recommendations.
She's currently driving a 2008 Volvo XC90 that has been great (200k miles) and I'm currently driving a 2013 Sonata hybrid (both bought new). We've loved not having a payment for the last couple years and have two teenagers with college around the corner, so we don't really want to jump back into another $40K+ car. Wifey is also starting a different job that will require her to commute a little longer, so we knew that her car would eventually need to be replaced... well today we got a $3600 quote for two repairs that need to be done on her Volvo, so I think that money is better spent on a replacement.

She's used to the high vantage-point and spaciousness of a midsize SUV, so I don't think I'll be able to talk her into anything tiny just for the sake of safety or gas mileage.

Wish list:
Good safety ratings
Good gas mileage (30ish mpg)
Reliable, brand known for quality... she hated when I bought my Hyundai, she still considers it a junk-car brand because it was the last time she shopped for a car in 2009
Under $30k new or lightly used (max 3 years old, 50k miles)... or even better if it can be found still under warranty in the $20k range.
Bells/whistles that didn't exist 10 years ago like cameras, bluetooth... bonus points for collision avoidance or parking-assist.

Thoughts? I've kinda steered her toward the Honda CRV. I've seen a couple almost new 2019's listed in the $22k range, which I think will be hard to beat. But if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear some.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
Post edited by Mych on

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,282 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to beat the CRV. I recently sold my '06 BMW X5, and bought a '14 CRV with only 29k on it. I needed a '14 or old because I plan to tow it behind an RV, and the newer models can't be flat towed. Otherwise I would have picked up a slightly newer one. The Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe Sport looked decent.

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭

Go find a relatively new car that's coming off a low-mileage lease. Last year, I bought my wife a 2015 Acura TLX with 27k miles on it. Might as well be new for an Acura, certainly drives like it's new. In absolute perfect condition. $45k new, got it for less than half that at $22k. Cost an extra couple grand to get a lifetime warranty. Given that Acuras will do 200k miles without breaking a sweat and it's not driven a ton (we both work from home), that was well worth it. The low price/low mileage/short term leases are so prevalent now that it's easy to find something along those lines. They had a few RDX with similar mileage for a little more money, but we're at a point in life where we don't need the SUV any more.

PS: If you haven't driven an Acura, and you're a fan of Honda, give it a try. You're in for an amazing treat. The TLX is a rocket ship. I've got an '08 Mustang GT with a stage 1 dynatune and upgraded exhaust, puts out almost 400 HP, and the Acura is very close in performance.

• padgetpadget Members Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 1:20am #4

I think my wife and I are going to get a Toyota Highlander. I was looking at used XLE’s and Limiteds in your mileage and price range. But they have some deals with 0% financing right now so we are entertaining a new one. We have driven them and both liked it.
    A lot of the XLE’s come with leather, heated seats, navigation, moonroof, 3rd row etc. It lacks a few features such as apple car play and birds eye view that some of the competition has, but I feel like it will hold up well for our family the next 5-7 years or hopefully longer.
    Our needs are a little different than yours as we have a new child. I don’t see us using the 3rd row that much for now but we need the extra storage that 3rd row suvs have with the seats folded down. We took my outback on a recent trip and it was doable but a little tight with all the baby gear and a dog.
    We also looked at the Traverse that was ok, and are coming from an Lexus NX which has been great except I personally hate the very busy entertainment console and “mousepad” controller. The Highlander XLE has the nicer features my wife likes, and the space, safety and reliability ratings that I want.
    If you don’t need that extra room then I wouldn’t hesitate to look at 2015-2019 Subaru Outback or Forester. I feel like Subaru was ahead of the curve in those years for the features you got at that price point. My 2015 has been great, I looked at a lot cars and it just felt far more solidly built than anything else I looked at in that price range. I average around 28mpg. You could find a used Lexus NX or Acura RDX in your range as well.
    Good luck, let us know what you find.

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 1:24pm #5

@padget said:
    If you don’t need that extra room then I wouldn’t hesitate to look at 2015-2019 Subaru Outback or Forester. I feel like Subaru was ahead of the curve in those years for the features you got at that price point. My 2015 has been great, I looked at a lot cars and it just felt far more solidly built than anything else I looked at in that price range. I average around 28mpg. You could find a used Lexus NX or Acura RDX in your range as well.

Thanks... we went to get a quote on her car at Carmax last night and did a litte looking. She liked the Lexus NX, but I think she liked the RX a little more so the budget might have to expand a little. She also liked the Audi Q5 which surprised me because it looked a little smaller in person than I expected. I also know that she hates the idea of having to use premium gas. I think the RX's can take regular, but the NX and Q5 both take premium. Minor detail, but it's one of those things that could bug her for years. She's a therapist, so I think there's a vanity aspect as well. She wants something that "fits" in the doctor's parking lot. Golfers change clubs for vanity all the time, so I guess it's understandable but I never factored that into the searches that I did for her.

She barely even walked the other rows of cars... our checkbook might be in for some trouble. Champange tastes on a Kool Aid budget.

Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
    edited Aug 23, 2019 1:24pm #6

deleted - duplicate

@Mych said:

@padget said:

Thanks... we went to get a quote on her car at Carmax last night and did a litte looking. She liked the Lexus NX, but I think she liked the RX a little more so the budget might have to expand a little. She also liked the Audi Q5 which surprised me because it looked a little smaller in person than I expected. I also know that she hates the idea of having to use premium gas. I think the RX's can take regular, but the NX and Q5 both take premium. Minor detail, but it's one of those things that could bug her for years. She's a therapist, so I think there's a vanity aspect as well. She wants something that "fits" in the doctor's parking lot. Golfers change clubs for vanity all the time, so I guess it's understandable but I never factored that into the searches that I did for her.

She barely even walked the other rows of cars... our checkbook might be in for some trouble. Champange tastes on a Kool Aid budget.

Check out Cargurus.com. Pretty good site to gauge pricing and find a car. I only look at dealerships that have decent ratings and avoid the car shipping services (carvana).
    We sold our wife’s car at Carmax as well, they beat the local dealer by $1000 and it was a super easy transaction. They have decent deals as well, you can get a better deal if you look around, but you won’t get hosed by them either. I used to be in the car business and have done some lighting work for the local one and was impressed with their operation.

You had good luck with the XC90. Did you consider the XC60? Used '16's with <30k miles can be found in the $30,000 price range.

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There were/are issues with the 1.5L turbo engine on the CRV involving engine oil mixing with gasoline. Google it and avoid those years, 2017-2018 I think.

• chigolferchigolfer Members Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 3:50pm #11

@Argonne69 said:
    You had good luck with the XC90. Did you consider the XC60? Used '16's with <30k miles can be found in the $30,000 price range.

One of her options is a slightly younger XC90. Hers is an 2008 with 200k mi. There's a super clean 2011 with 60k miles down the road from us priced at $12k. Looks like it's been garage kept and barely driven. Super clean inside, interior isn't faded, and we'd buy it cash and not worry about a payment. They didn't change the body style until about 2015, so that model doesn't look "old" yet. With 60k miles on it she could easily get a few years before she'd have to make a decision.

I think she feels like that's just kicking the can down the road and not really accomplishing anything. For me, that would be an easy one to pull the trigger on... but.... it's not me.

She has looked at the XC60's a little, but I don't think she was in love with them.

@Mych said:

@Argonne69 said:

One of her options is a slightly younger XC90. Hers is an 2008 with 200k mi. There's a super clean 2011 with 60k miles down the road from us priced at $12k. Looks like it's been garage kept and barely driven. Super clean inside, interior isn't faded, and we'd buy it cash and not worry about a payment. They didn't change the body style until about 2015, so that model doesn't look "old" yet. With 60k miles on it she could easily get a few years before she'd have to make a decision.

I think she feels like that's just kicking the can down the road and not really accomplishing anything. For me, that would be an easy one to pull the trigger on... but.... it's not me.

She has looked at the XC60's a little, but I don't think she was in love with them.

Well... update... the XC60 is back in the running, lol. It's going to at least get a test drive tonight.

• LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the Lexus RX. I still regret selling mine.

Ping G410+
    Callaway GBB Epic 5W 
    Titleist 910H
    Taylormade P790 4i-Aw
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden

@Laznasty said:
    Check out the Lexus RX. I still regret selling mine.

That's on the list of cars she wants to test drive.

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mych said:
    She's used to the high vantage-point and spaciousness of a midsize SUV, so I don't think I'll be able to talk her into anything tiny just for the sake of safety or gas mileage.

Wish list:
    Good safety ratings
    Good gas mileage (30ish mpg)
    Reliable, brand known for quality... she hated when I bought my Hyundai, she still considers it a junk-car brand because it was the last time she shopped for a car in 2009
    Under $30k new or lightly used (max 3 years old, 50k miles)... or even better if it can be found still under warranty in the $20k range.
    Bells/whistles that didn't exist 10 years ago like cameras, bluetooth... bonus points for collision avoidance or parking-assist.

Thoughts? I've kinda steered her toward the Honda CRV. I've seen a couple almost new 2019's listed in the $22k range, which I think will be hard to beat. But if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear some.

No wife goes quietly from a Volvo to a freakin’ Honda. There are no cars that satisfy these criteria. Open your wallet and get a Toyota 4Runner. Beyond that...BMW X3.

edited Aug 24, 2019 3:28am #16

Well, the search didn't take her long. She test drove a Volvo XC60 and said it "felt like home".

2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus (loaded), white w/black interior
    24/31 mpg
    55k miles in great condition
    $17,500 ($45k original sticker)

Her new (to her) baby...

Post edited by Mych on

Wow, solid deal. Congrats on the new ride.

@padget said:
    Wow, solid deal. Congrats on the new ride.

Thanks! Happy wife, and I get to play golf tomorrow instead of car shopping all weekend. Mission accomplished!

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I was right about one thing at least -- no wife is stepping down from a Volvo to a freakin' Honda.

• ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 8:43pm #20

Great deal! Wish I could persuade my wife to buy used . . .

Post edited by ohioglfr on

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

Very nice. If the XC60 could be flat towed it would be near the top of my list.

My last four vehicles were all low mileage used vehicles. Two were purchased from a dealer, one from CarMax, and one was bought sight unseen from Ebay. All gave me years of (mostly) trouble free driving at a fraction of the price of a new vehicle. Certainly any unscheduled repairs was a fraction of the cost savings.

• mshillsmshills T-I-G-E-R-S! Fight Tigers, fight dammit, FIGHT FIGHT! Pittsburgh - South HillsMembers Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mych said:
    Well, the search didn't take her long. She test drove a Volvo XC60 and said it "felt like home".

2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus (loaded), white w/black interior
    24/31 mpg
    55k miles in great condition
    $17,500 ($45k original sticker)

That is a nice deal!
    My wife drives a 2010 XC70 T6. I love that car. Cavernous inside, some of the most comfortable seats in the history of azz, and the T6 is PROPERLY quick.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
    TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
    Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
    TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
    Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
    Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
    Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
    Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather
  • snafu34snafu34 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mych- You got an great deal on that Volvo- good for you ! I have been eyeing the XC60 here in the Los Angeles area and they bring top dollar. $26K- 30K and up for a like 2017 model.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file