Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Highest Lofted Wedge In Your Bag

cmrl1986cmrl1986 Members Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 23, 2019 1:57pm in Equipment #1

Been hearing a lot from pros lately saying that no amateur should carry a loft higher than 58*. To me that's BS, I think it depends on the course layout you frequent, and what your level of play is. For me, I play a course that has quite a few elevated greens leading to a need for higher trajectory shots into the greens, especially 50 yards and in because they've got some slope as well. I'm a 1 handicap and carry 50/54/62. I do use the 54 more than any other wedge, but use the 62 around the green quite often because I can control the trajectory and spin easier on chip shots. What's your setup and why? Do you think the pros are right and no matter how low your handicap, a 60 or higher shouldn't be in the bag?

PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 iron w/KBS Prototype 95X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-pw w/DG 120 stiff
Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
Scotty Cameron Tour 009
Scotty Cameron T22 Tei3

Comments

• MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

58*, 75% use out of green side bunkers.

• MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

58*, 75% use out of green side bunkers.

• zebra2955zebra2955 Members Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 50* 54* 58*

Mostly use the 54* for pitchng/.chipping
    mostly use the 58 * for full shots or pitches/ chips over some type of hazard, bunkers etc.

Cobra F7

Callaway Epic

Cobra F6 fairway woods

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

What ever ball Costco has LOL
  • Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I always carry a 60, except that I do have a low-bounce 62 I bring instead of the 60 on a few courses that I know have small, firm greens and tight greenside turf.

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,762 ClubWRX

My setup = 46* PW | 52* GW | 58* LW

I used to carry a 60*, but I have found that I can hit the ball plenty high and soft with a 58* and have yet to run into a situation where a 60* would've saved me a stroke where the 58* couldn't. There's just not that much of a difference in my mind. Now I will caveat this and say I do not play huge, full-swing flop shots to tight pins like Philly Mick and I am a 7 handicap. However, my short game is what has gotten my handicaop that low and not my full swing, so my short game handicap is probably like a 2.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 52/58/64 setup. My 52* is my "100 yard" club, so full swings only. 58* gets the lion share of my shortgame work into and around the greens and bunkers. the 64*... well i originally had it in there for really tight lies and the occasional flop shot but i don't really use it as much as I thought i would. It's also in there becaue I was/am pretty happy with the top end of my bag and i had a 14th slot that needed filling. As far as the pro's being right? i think it's up to the individual. In general high-handicappers (like myself) probably shouldn't but if you practice with it enough and know when the best time to use it, why not?

• Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they're right about the 60...but what's the other option? Put a 3 iron or another hybrid in the bag? Go with 11 or 12 total clubs?
    I play a PW (45), AW (50), SW (55), LW (60), XW (64). I play 5 iron down to the 64, a 3 hybrid, 4 wood, and driver. What am I going to do, take out the 60 and 64 to add in a 3 and 4 iron to use once every 2 or 3 rounds?

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cmrl1986 said:
    Been hearing a lot from pros lately saying that no amateur should carry a loft higher than 58*. To me that's BS, I think it depends on the course layout you frequent, and what your level of play is. For me, I play a course that has quite a few elevated greens leading to a need for higher trajectory shots into the greens, especially 50 yards and in because they've got some slope as well. I'm a 1 handicap and carry 50/54/62. I do use the 54 more than any other wedge, but use the 62 around the green quite often because I can control the trajectory and spin easier on chip shots. What's your setup and why? Do you think the pros are right and no matter how low your handicap, a 60 or higher shouldn't be in the bag?

First, being a 1 handicap is quite different, and any blanket statement to amateurs in general probably isn't going to apply.

To answer your question, I currently have a 57 degree as my highest lofted wedge but have typically had a 58 or 60 degree as the highest lofted. I have been thinking about a setup like you have with a 54 and then a 64 (or maybe 62). I would only use whatever the highest lofted wedge is around the green, so my thought is basically I have more help/options on shots where there is little green to work with. I also think playing a square faced shot with a 64 is sometimes easier than trying to open up a 60. I know high lofted wedges get bashed a lot but I think lack of skill and trying low probability, high risk shots is what gets people in trouble the most. It's not the add'l 4-6 degrees of loft beyond 58 degrees that screws it up.

All that being said, I believe most average golfers and even many better ones could get around the course just fine with a 58. Every now and then the high lofted specialty club may save a couple shots in a round but it isn't doing near that much on average (skill matters most).

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GrAvEL_eXpReSsGrAvEL_eXpReSs Members Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

I carry a 52,56 and 60. grooves on the 52 and 60 are pretty much brand new because they dont get used. The 56 is a different story. gets a new grip about 3xs a year cause that thing gets wore out.

• CelebrosCelebros Vandalia, OHMembers Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

45/50/56/60. I use my 60 almost exclusively inside 90 yards. My 56 is used more for full shots and longer greenside bunker shots. 45/50 are full shot clubs.

Cobra KING F9 Speedback (9*)
    Cobra KING F8+ (4-5, 16.5*)
    Cobra KING Forged Tour (3-GW)
    Cobra KING WideLow (56*)
    Cobra KING Pur WideLow (60*)
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini
    Vice Pro+
  • physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

45*, 50*, 54*, 58*. Use the 54 as SW and full shot club, 58 primarily for chipping and getting the ball close around the green. I also 'have' a 64*, but rarely carry it in the bag. Use it at home for chipping around the yard and playing backyard games though.

Ping G400 SFT 9.5*
    Ping G410 SFT 3W 15*
    Taylormade M3 Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland CG15 54* SW
    Cleveland CG15 58* LW
    Cleveland 2135 8.0 CB 
  • tdennietdennie Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

45/50/54/58. I use the 45/50 for full swings. 54 and 58 for pitching and chipping when closer to the green. Previously the highest I had was a 56 and I never found a scenario where I need more loft than that. So I highly doubt most people would benefit from highly lofted wedges.

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

My 60° is almost exclusively for greenside bunkers. Most of the courses I play have really firm sand so I feel more confident with a higher loft/lower bounce to get out of them. I've experimented with 56° and 58° and I've personally seen the best results from the 60°.

But that's really the only time I use it. My only other non-PW is a 52° which I've had in my bag forever and I'm super confident with for practically everything inside of, say, 110 yards.

Titleist TS4 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 56°, 58°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm MassachusettsMembers Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭

At present, I am carrying three wedges with 56* being the highest lofted wedge.

PW = 48*, GW = 52*, and SW = 56*

I own a 60* wedge, but I've put my 5-wood back into my bag.

• longballjslongballjs New JerseyMembers Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

had a 60 up until 2016, switched to a 58 and is probably my favorite club in the bag, well maybe my 909h is my favorite

Titleist ProV1 Experience 7/12/17-7/13/17

TaylorMade M5 with speeder 667 xstiff
    Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Moonlightgrm said:
    At present, I am carrying three wedges with 56* being the highest lofted wedge.

PW = 48*, GW = 52*, and SW = 56*

I own a 60* wedge, but I've put my 5-wood back into my bag.

I imagine I'm the same and can't use my SW anywhere except greenside sand (and hit beyond 45').

To the OP, you are a 1 so imagine your set-up works. For us mortals (10+ HC), I doubt many can hit anything beyond a GW with any consistency/skill,

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 5:51pm #18

Aside from 48* PW, I use a 52* SW and 58* LW. SW is for all sorts of shots under 105yrds, including long bunker shots. My #1 club is E0sw LW and is exclusively used for anything under 60yards.

I am not one to suggest mid-hi caps carry 4-5 wedges much less an LW but too each their own measure of abuse. Generally, Pro's are right about certain clubs in the hands of the average amateur golfer.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

64 degree floppy pillow thrower. I absolutely love this club. It just has to be used in the right situations.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • AMLemusAMLemus Littleton, COMembers Posts: 35 ✭✭

I've got a 45PW, 52GW, 56SW, and a 60GW. I'd like to ditch the 60 and get something that's useful both out of bunkers and greenside. Anyone have a wedge that's serviceable for both?

Littleton, CO
    DR: Adams Speedline Super S (10.5)
    3W: Adams Speedline Super S
    Irons: Adams Idea A12 (3hy, 4hy, 5i-PW)
    Wedges: Adams Tom Watson (52, 56, 60)
  • HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

72 bombtech

I use a 64 and 60 too cleveland. Anyone saying you shouldn't carry a certain club doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. We have to adapt to our own games, play to our strengths and use the clubs we are good with.

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1
    Split Grip Birdie COUNTER - 1

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 6:41pm #22

Last week it was 58. Tomorrow it will be 60. Who knows what the future holds? Vokey does make a 62!

Back in a year starting with "19--", at my very first golf lesson, when I asked how to play a bunker shot he said, "Take your 60 degree and..."

I interrupted to say I only had a 56. He said, "Bring a 60 with you next week". And we proceeded on with the rest of the lesson.

I wonder if the advice has changed any in a quarter-century. I still use the heck out of my 58/60/whatever from bunkers.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

@AMLemus said:
    I've got a 45PW, 52GW, 56SW, and a 60GW. I'd like to ditch the 60 and get something that's useful both out of bunkers and greenside. Anyone have a wedge that's serviceable for both?

Most people would probably not agree but I find the K-grind Vokeys to get excellent out of sand and somewhat surprisingly quite nice from even tight lies around the green. But I am 100% totally a "use the bounce" guy, sometimes to an extreme.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@HonestPlayer said:
    72 bombtech

I use a 64 and 60 too cleveland. Anyone saying you shouldn't carry a certain club doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. We have to adapt to our own games, play to our strengths and use the clubs we are good with.

Everything you said is true for better golfers, except your statement makes an assumption that is not true for the vast majority of golfers. That vast majority can't adapt to something they haven't developed, yet.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• coop5885coop5885 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

add another to the 45/50/54/58 club

@North Butte said:

@AMLemus said:

Most people would probably not agree but I find the K-grind Vokeys to get excellent out of sand and somewhat surprisingly quite nice from even tight lies around the green. But I am 100% totally a "use the bounce" guy, sometimes to an extreme.

I'll have to give them a look! I'm using a Vokey S-Grind 52 as a GW right now. PW is an Adams A7, the SW and LW are an Adams/Tom Watson set. An upgrade might be due. Thanks for the input!

Littleton, CO

I used to have a set of those Adams/Tom Watson wedge, back when they first came out. I liked 'em. And darned sight more affordable than these Vokeys I'm addicted to now!

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

46/52/58
    Very happy with this setup.

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

50/54/58 for me. I used to play a 60, but I was very inconsistent with it. I find the 58 to be perfect, and with an M grind I can open it up easily for a few more degrees of loft.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

48,54,58 4 cap.
    It fits my game best and I like the slightly stronger wedges on half wedge shots.

The loft really isn't the issue whenever someone is saying that most amateurs shouldn't carry a 60...it's that they shouldn't be carrying anything resembling a lob wedge. And it's not because they cant hit one. The problem is most use it on shots that don't require it.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

@North Butte said:
    I used to have a set of those Adams/Tom Watson wedge, back when they first came out. I liked 'em. And darned sight more affordable than these Vokeys I'm addicted to now!

They're definitely a great bang for the buck, but I feel like I'm ready for something that's a bit more performance based now. I've got one Vokey already and I see why they're considered top-of-the-line!

Littleton, CO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file