The Hit Impulse

Brickman

My problems seem to stem for a “golf hit” rather than “golf swing” mentality. I work on it on the range and then when I play I take a nice smooth backswing and then turn into a lunatic at the transition. I don’t feel the clubhead in my swing and it’s all just a blur from the top down, usually finishing with the club to my left side rather than over the shoulder. The result can go anywhere but usually it’s a dead pull or snap hook. It’s a tough habit to break and it’s ruining my game. Anyone else had this issue and if so what have you done to correct it? I’m beside myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this for a long time and i feel your pain.

The solution for me was to hinge my wrists properly forming the L shape at hip height then a full turn with a straight left arm.(i was not doing this) i was breaking the left arm because i was not hinging correctly , then the body picks up on this and tells itself (hey i have no leverage) so i must hit the ball instead of swinging through it,and that is where the (hit impulse) comes from and causes pulls and hooks and even slices as well as no weight transfer to your lead foot amongst other faults.

Over the course of a few rounds i worked on this and trusted the changes (will feel weird if you are not doing it at first) but once you trust it you will see dramatic improvements on a large scale. I went from a 100 shooter to mid 70,s overnight just working on this alone. I am not sure if you have the same issues as me without seeing your swing but this is what worked for me.

When working on it i am telling myself extend/hinge and turn.

Extend left arm/hinge wrists properley/make a good turn

Benefits i have seen are (ability to start the swing with lower body)

Ability to finish on your front foot as you should

No hit impulse (the body is smart and knows it has a lever and loads of power-no need to throw the arms skyward and hit from the top)

Ability to return clubface to square,straight shots finally.

Huge distance gains without overswinging (the body knows it does not need to)

Swing on plane and repeatable and will feel compact.

Anyways enough rambling and i hope this might help you and any other golfers aflicted with this terrible issue.

Happy golfing

Look in front of the ball when you start your backswing, pick a blade of grass 2"-3" in front and look at that. My pro had me doing that, along with feeling a slight pause at the top of the swing. Working on those two together got me to stop yanking down from the top and coming way OTT.

A big thing too is to keep picturing your target in your mind. Don't think about hitting the ball, think about the ball ending where you're visualizing. I was always skeptical of thinking of things like that, but they actually do work.

Fellow Left Arm Collapser and Club thrower from the top, hence the fly fishing avatar. Post above indicating "L shape at hip height then a full turn with a straight left arm" is very true, the straighter I keep my left arm ... the less my right side takes over, you're already loaded up with energy to transfer into the ball. It's when my left elbow collapses, my arms separate from torso in backswing, everything gets off kilter and I try to hit at the ball, very unsuccessfully I might add. It's been 4-5yrs in golf purgatory for me, hopefully reading the above about L arm width and extension will get me recalibrated.

For me, the hit impulse comes directly from my hands if that makes sense to you. When I struggle with this, I feel like from the top I am swinging my upper arms towards the target and my hands are just following. The eyes closed thing is a good trick as well and you don't even need to hit a ball, just take a practice swing with your eyes closed and make sure you can hold a balanced finish. This will help you find a better tempo.

> @xkilgorextroutx said:

> Look in front of the ball when you start your backswing, pick a blade of grass 2"-3" in front and look at that. My pro had me doing that, along with feeling a slight pause at the top of the swing. Working on those two together got me to stop yanking down from the top and coming way OTT.

>

> A big thing too is to keep picturing your target in your mind. Don't think about hitting the ball, think about the ball ending where you're visualizing. I was always skeptical of thinking of things like that, but they actually do work.

I do the opposite, picking a point well behind the ball, even past the trail foot. It's not easy to come over the top while swinging at something behind your trail foot otherwise you feel like you are going to hit yourself. You can still get stuck inside of course, but as long as the club head doesnt go outside your focus, you will not be over the top and will not hit pulls or snap hooks.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

this should help you.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

@Fireballer said:

Let the backswing marinade a little at the top. The wedge under the trail foot drill works well to be patient. Or the ballerina 68. You have to have a little somethin to keep the lower body busy a split second before starting down. Zipper away awesome too. Patience to me, is what its all about to shallow out and get rid of hit impulse. I have to be patient to have a deliberate change of direction after the lower body settles.

• Like 1

Good advice, i think of it in a slightly different way.

Extend/hinge/turn then forget about upper body completely (its all set and levered up)

Then a slight move towards target (feels like only around 6 inches or less) but enough to start to feel pressure in your lead foot.

Then just swing smoothly though with good tempo (you are only aware of your arms when they get to around hip level) as the slight move forward has brought the lever(or arms) down automatically. Then you can just keep firing through to a good finish.

This is of course just an analytical view of my swing,but it was all been setup by,

1. A good grip in the fingers so the club can hinge easily

2. A good stance feet flared out just slightly (easier to work with the inner thigh and inner upper arms in the swing close to chest)

3. Takeaway (clubhead slightly outside hands and what looks like a little closed) but isnt.

4. Extend/hinge/good turn

5. 6 inch or less shift towards target

6. Smooth temo swing through to balanced finish.

I have probably gone into too much detail here,so dont think about this suff on course.

I recon if you just extend/hinge and turn you will see great results if you currently have this (hit impulse)

Anyway thats where i am at..its by no means perfect,but this has gotten rid of my hit impulse.

I recon going to a good pro will fast track issues as well,but i am self taught so dont take this as gospel.

> @Richo666 said:

> Then a slight move towards target (feels like only around 6 inches or less) but enough to start to feel pressure in your lead foot.

This is the key to not yanking handle, too steep, EE, etc. Wether its a bump, slight move into lead heel, zipper away, squat, etc, that inital shallowing will take place if you do it right. Your body has to first set up to support the arm swing. The best feeling is when I get my hips turned deep enough to where my lower body has no choice but to zipper away naturally.

Fireballer is right on the money, work on these things then say goodbye to golf hell, and you can start talking to mr hogan and mr snead on a regular basis.

When you have this hit impulse it seems as though you are in a vicious cycle that you cannot break free from, but trust me you can,and you can finally start playing the golf that you have always wanted too.But golf being golf something seems to go out of whack sometimes,so its great having forums like wrx as a great rescource for all.

I am new by the way and loving it so far.

Happy golfing

The book accompanying this series of videos (link is intro) set me on path to eliminate hit impulse (still occasionally raises its head). Also look at some of Paul Wilson vids re loose wrists / or Shawn clement re getting rid of trying to purposely hit the ball. Someone suggested eyes closed - other option is flowmotion / triangulaid exercises of not looking at ball and walking into the swing.

The best way to get rid of the hit impulse IMO is to take the leverage out of the hands and put he focus into something else. For me right now it's flexing the lead leg to start down, for you it may be different like left arm off the chest or right elbow forward, etc. I remember reading somewhere a while ago that you need quiet hands...at the time i thought that was stupid as the hands are quite active but I think the point that was being made is feel like the hands are quiet, not that they actually are. Focus on lower body or upper body/arm movements to start the swing. It may feel like you are starting them waaaay too soon but you probably aren't. Video will help while you are working on it.

Now that I typed that all out I realized you said you have smooth backswing....your backswing may be too slow as most confuse smooth and slow...count tour players backswings...they are much faster than you think and that goes for everyone...even Ernie and Freddie. If your backswing is too slow it can lead to a bit of a hit or rush to start down...start here first then reference the paragraph above.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

When I took up the game at 40 I too had hit impulse, still, do. I am not a swinger but a hitter. I see the ball and see where I want the ball to go and hit it there. I share that because in some cases it's best to work with what you have as opposed to chasing what others have or want for you.

Luckily, for me, my hand-eye coordination is very effective with golf clubs and guns. Yesterday on a long Par 4 2nd shot I hit a beautiful 3 iron into a breeze 188 yards to below the pin. Da**, I love this game.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

When used to (hit) the ball i could sometimes play some good rounds,but all to frequently id have a bad round straight after and visa versa. This is due to the hand eye coordination changing due to alot of factors (how u are feeling/conditions on that day/etc) and too many more to list.

Once you get rid of the hit impulse and start swinging properly, it is truely liberating and you will feel as though that you cannot miss that fairway or possibily miss that GIR.

Instead of shooting 100 one day then 80 the next you will shoot 77 one day and 75 the next then 76 the next then, you get my drift. Gone are the big number rounds that wreck your cap.

As well as that you are mostly in control of your swing where as if you hit it i feel that my misses will be huge OB etc.

If you can hit it and be consistent i take my hat off to you,because i cant.

Happy Golfing