Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Tz5 m5 65 tipping

HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Members Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have experience with tipping tz5 m5 65? I hit this shaft not too long ago and really liked it, but would like to shave a couple hundred rpms of spin off.

Epic SZ
Apex Hybrid
Srixon Z965
MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto

Comments

• therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@HidekiWoods said:
    Anyone have experience with tipping tz5 m5 65? I hit this shaft not too long ago and really liked it, but would like to shave a couple hundred rpms of spin off.

It knocked about 400rpm off going from untipped to 1/2”

• HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Members Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭

@therealjonzone said:

@HidekiWoods said:

It knocked about 400rpm off going from untipped to 1/2

Have u hit the tz6?

Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto

@HidekiWoods said:

@therealjonzone said:

@HidekiWoods said:

It knocked about 400rpm off going from untipped to 1/2

Have u hit the tz6?

Yes
    Plays a bit more loose than TZ5 but 1/2” was fine in the TZ6

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not a very reliable way to deal with ball spin issues. Tipping should really only be done to tweak the feel of the shaft, not the ball flight. Loft should be used for that, and even then only AFTER you've made sure you're getting good center face contact. Face impact even 1/4" off center can easily result in a couple hundred rpms for a driver.

@Stuart_G said:
    Not a very reliable way to deal with ball spin issues. Tipping should really only be done to tweak the feel of the shaft, not the ball flight. Loft should be used for that, and even then only AFTER you've made sure you're getting good center face contact. Face impact even 1/4" off center can easily result in a couple hundred rpms for a driver.

You’re assuming that we were referring to spin issues, when we weren’t.
    I didn’t tip the shaft to try and knock spin off, but there was a direct correlation to how I delivered the ball tipped vs untipped, which my strike pattern and dynamic loft may have changed thus changing the spin rates.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@therealjonzone said:

@Stuart_G said:

I didn’t tip the shaft to try and knock spin off, but there was a direct correlation to how I delivered the ball tipped vs untipped, which my strike pattern and dynamic loft may have changed thus changing the spin rates.

No. You were making assumptions about which post I was responding to. The OP was very explicit in his post that it was a question concerning spin.

The subjective nature of your particular change is exactly the reason why such an approach is unreliable. We're not robots, not everyone will respond to changes in feel (due to the tipping) in the same way. So the only way to know what will happen for the OP when he tips that shaft is to go ahead and tip it. And then if it doesn't work or even makes things worse because of the way it changes the delivery for him, the only way to go back is to buy a new shaft. For some people that might not be a problem, they might not care about the money. But most likely will care about that type of mistake.

• HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Members Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭

@Stuart_G said:

@therealjonzone said:

@Stuart_G said:

No. You were making assumptions about which post I was responding to. The OP was very explicit in his post that it was a question concerning spin.

The subjective nature of your particular change is exactly the reason why such an approach is unreliable. We're not robots, not everyone will respond to changes in feel (due to the tipping) in the same way. So the only way to know what will happen for the OP when he tips that shaft is to go ahead and tip it. And then if it doesn't work or even makes things worse because of the way it changes the delivery for him, the only way to go back is to buy a new shaft. For some people that might not be a problem, they might not care about the money. But most likely will care about that type of mistake.

Makes sense, thanks!

Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file