Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Comments

• golfnoob25golfnoob25 Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,295 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Neither won the Masters so..... ; )

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Tiger!!!!! The PGA Tour is a business, and he brought more revenue this year than Koepka, Rory, DJ, and any other player. Plus winning the Masters also helped.

• Oz MaxOz Max Members Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Tough one, I go with Rors, but I'm biased, Tiger has been awesome but faded pretty quickly. BK lost me with his shoe laces.

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a much bigger McIlroy fan but I have to say Koepka.

• DrivingChampDrivingChamp Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭

Brooks won a major Rory didn’t

• sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think winning a major gives Brooks the leg up over Rors.

Callaway Epic TD - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brooks is POY. While Tiger is Comeback of The Year again.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Darth Putter said:
    for PGA Tour Player of the Year

Rory McIlroy
    3 wins: TPC, Tour Championship, Canadian Open
    1 second place: WGC Mexico
    14 top 10s in 19 starts
    FedEX Cup Champion
    Vardon Trophy winner
    Best Strokes Gained Total ever by anyone not named Tiger
    2nd in official money

Brooks Koepka
    3 wins: PGA, WGC Memphis, CJ Cup
    3 seconds: Masters, US Open, Honda
    9 top 10s in 21 starts
    2019 PGA Player of the Year (this is the one that uses a point system)
    won money title
    Number 1 OWGR and had the highest total since the start of the PGA Tour year

Brooks hold off Rory for my vote

Tiger Woods wins the "Pro Golfer of the Year" Trophy.

Nice summary Darth. I'll give it to Koepka due to his superb play in the majors. He finished t2, 1, 2, t4 in the majors. Rory was never a factor in any major this year and missed one cut. Rory went t21, t8, t9, MC. Some people like to claim it's only and all about the majors these days. Using that criteria it goes to Brooks. They both had superb years and both are deserving.

• Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@Darth Putter said:

Rory McIlroy
    14 top 10s in 19 starts
    FedEX Cup Champion
    Vardon Trophy winner
    2nd in official money

Brooks Koepka
    9 top 10s in 21 starts
    won money title

Nice summary Darth. I'll give it to Koepka due to his superb play in the majors. He finished t2, 1, 2, t4 in the majors. Rory was never a factor in any major this year and missed one cut. Rory went t21, t8, t9, MC. Some people like to claim it's only and all about the majors these days. Using that criteria it goes to Brooks. They both had superb years and both are deserving.

I'd agree with that - Brooks' sustained dominance in Majors is deserving of PotY. Rory a close second. I hope they get a draw in the next Ryder Cup!

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • Oz MaxOz Max Members Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

@Darth Putter said:

Rory McIlroy
    14 top 10s in 19 starts
    FedEX Cup Champion
    Vardon Trophy winner
    2nd in official money

Brooks Koepka
    9 top 10s in 21 starts
    won money title

I hate to admit it, but yeah, BK has had another great year... BUT Rors and Tiger have shown promises and next season could be as good a vintage as a 1985 Bordeaux

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They will give it to Rory because they wanna convince us players and fedex are as important as majors.

• HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brooks all day long.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It probably should be Brooks but I wouldn't be surprised if Rory gets the nod from the players.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How is the award selected? Vote of the players? Committee? Other?

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MountainGoat said:
    How is the award selected? Vote of the players? Committee? Other?

vote of the players, i believe ...

i'd go with brooks ... bc made an argument lat night for rory based on having the vardon and his strokes gained, but part of that vardon is based on really good play th-sat (and the diff was only .3) ... bk won the same number of times and competed in the majors to a much higher degree than rory ... easily bk, imo ...

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 11:14am #20

Brooks choked away the Masters...I don't understand giving a guy a ton of credit for NOT winning a tournament when he very well could've. It's fine to say he finished 2nd but the truth is he should've won but didn't by his own hand.

I'm going with Rory....if you win the Players early on, another event mid-season, and then wrap up the Tour Championship as a 3rd win and actually get the FedEx Cup then you're a contender for POTY. If you have the Vardon Trophy it was a really special year.

Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, The Fed Ex Cup and the Vardon Trophy.

Brooks walks home with the PGA Championship.

It's pretty obviously Rory but I'm just a fan of golf.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    3w: TaylorMade '07 Burner
    5w: Nike SQ II
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 11:39am #21

Hard to compare Brooks and Rory this year.
    Rory has been a wonder of consistency, very few results outside the top-10 and 3 pretty huge victories. But surprisingly bleak in the majors.
    Brooks has continued that great capability to perform well in majors. 1-2-2-4 is nothing short of remarkable. Otherwise up and down in results over the year.
    So all in all, Rory have played better golf, but the top golfers seems to evaluate themselves on accomplishments in the majors, which would give Brooks the upper hand. Among the top peers. But since all the players probably are involved I guess it will be Rory.

BTW I get surprised when I look at the results of Rory. The feeling is that he has not been on his A-game and especially the putting has been so-so. But then again, none of the top guys have really had a super year, like F Molinari had in 2018.

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 1:03pm #22

@Hankshank said:
    Hard to compare Brooks and Rory this year.
    Rory has been a wonder of consistency, very few results outside the top-10 and 3 pretty huge victories. But surprisingly bleak in the majors.
    Brooks has continued that great capability to perform well in majors. 1-2-2-4 is nothing short of remarkable. Otherwise up and down in results over the year.
    So all in all, Rory have played better golf, but the top golfers seems to evaluate themselves on accomplishments in the majors, which would give Brooks the upper hand. Among the top peers. But since all the players probably are involved I guess it will be Rory.

BTW I get surprised when I look at the results of Rory. The feeling is that he has not been on his A-game and especially the putting has been so-so. But then again, none of the top guys have really had a super year, like F Molinari had in 2018.

1-2-2-4 is a super year in the majors by any reasonable definition. If Tiger had that record, he'd get PoY without a second thought. People don't want to give it to Brooks, because they just don't like him...which is understandable.

Post edited by MountainGoat on
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say Brooks by a slight margin. I'm looking mainly at each of their three wins. The PGA and it's major status is the one that will be remembered most years from now. The Player's is clearly #2, I'd say the WGC and Tour Championship are close, and the RBC/CJ Cup are close enough to each other that it's not a big driver of things. While not insignificant, I give less weight to Brooks' other finishes in the majors and Rory's Fedex Cup title (complete race and $15 MM itself)/Vardon trophy/strokes-gained stats.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like Bryce either, but he is player of the year. And a giant douchestick. He can be both. I’m betting he is more proud of the latter.

@bladehunter said:
    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

• ksgolfcoachksgolfcoach Director of Instruction at Firekeeper Golf Course Members Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s brooks and it isn’t even close. The players know how special majors are and to go 1,2,2, and 4 in them wins you player of the year over a guy with none

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@00steven said:
    So is it Rory or Brooks?

Rory. 14 top tens in 19 events. 3 wins. That's Tiger-in-his-prime excellence and consistency. Actually one of the best seasons on Tour in a long time.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    I don’t like Bryce either, but he is player of the year. And a giant douchestick. He can be both. I’m betting he is more proud of the latter.

@bladehunter said:

Agree 100 %. You know if I’m trying to rationalize voting for Rory then the other guy is bad. Really bad. Someone said he has become the real life zoolander. And that is 100 % spot on. He’s a self created myth that he denies existence of . As in “ I don’t care......no, look at me “. lol.

Honest answer. If tigers tour champ win is this year , I’d vote for him.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• jschwartz12181jschwartz12181 Members Posts: 4

Why do you dislike him so much?

@bladehunter said:

@golfandfishing said:

@bladehunter said:

Agree 100 %. You know if I’m trying to rationalize voting for Rory then the other guy is bad. Really bad. Someone said he has become the real life zoolander. And that is 100 % spot on. He’s a self created myth that he denies existence of . As in “ I don’t care......no, look at me “. lol.

Honest answer. If tigers tour champ win is this year , I’d vote for him.

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ksgolfcoach said:
    It’s brooks and it isn’t even close. The players know how special majors are and to go 1,2,2, and 4 in them wins you player of the year over a guy with none

Brooks won 1 major this year. Rory won the Players, which is considered by most to be a major even though its technically not one. I think they're on equal footing that way.

Being on the first page of the leaderboard literally every tournament you play - which Rory basically was this year - its much more POTY worthy, in my opinion.

• Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭

@KRAMER1997 said:
    Tiger!!!!! The PGA Tour is a business, and he brought more revenue this year than Koepka, Rory, DJ, and any other player. Plus winning the Masters also helped.

@Hankshank said:
    Tiger

Tiger's results this year: T20, T15, T10, T30, 1, CUT, T9, T21, CUT, CUT, T37
    Koepka results: 1, T16, 24, T27, T2, CUT, T56, T2, T22, 4, 1, T50, 2, T57, 65, T4, 1, T30, T24, T3
    McIlroy results: T54, T4, T5, T4, 2, T6, 1, T21, T8, T8, CUT, 1, T9, CUT, T4, T6, T19, 1

Tiger doesn't even belong in the conversation. It isn't even close.

Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 in x-flex
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
This discussion has been closed.