Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Player of the year

Comments

• SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:
    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

CJ Cup is a PGA Tour Event.

I'll still give the nod to Brooks, but your point is well taken...I think the PGA Tour's biggest regret is not owning any of the majors. This is why they have tried to promote the Players as the 5th Major and increase the importance of the Fed Ex Cup. Rory took the two biggest titles owned by the PGA Tour (and may have won the most official + bonus $ for the season) so I expect him to get a few POY votes, but would be very surprised if Brooks didn't win POY...the tour wishes they owned a Major or 3 and the players still regard these as the most prestigious even if the gap may be closing.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:
    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

All four of the majors are official PGA Tour events (money, FedEx Cup points, etc). Kind of matches with Tiger's statement of "it's not complicated - win two of these and it's yours" (or something like this).

Too bad they don't release the voting on this award. I think it may be a pretty close race, partly due to the personalities involved. My gut actually thinks Rory would say its Brooks.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

Brooks had a major, WGC and a PGA Tour Win. Rory had three PGA Tour wins.

By your logic, Rory should be player of the year. However, by that same logic, someone could have won three majors and Rory still should be considered player of the year -- would that really make sense?

Also, let's not forget that Brooks "faced" Rory twice this year in final rounds. Brooks "beat" Rory for his WGC, while Rory "beat" Brooks for the Tour Championship. Both of those final rounds were pretty lopsided, too. So IMO, those wins then become a wash when comparing them this year. So in terms of wins, you are comparing PGA Championship/CJ Cup against Players Championship/Canadian Open. Reasonable arguments could be made for each.

So it really comes down to how much weight is applied to the majors and top 10s. Give more weight to major performances, then it goes to Brooks. Give more weight to Top 10s, then it goes to Rory.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

?? ... the tour recognizes the majors as part of the tour ...

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jschwartz12181 said:

Why do you dislike him so much?

@bladehunter said:

@golfandfishing said:
    I don’t like Bryce either, but he is player of the year. And a giant douchestick. He can be both. I’m betting he is more proud of the latter.

@bladehunter said:

Agree 100 %. You know if I’m trying to rationalize voting for Rory then the other guy is bad. Really bad. Someone said he has become the real life zoolander. And that is 100 % spot on. He’s a self created myth that he denies existence of . As in “ I don’t care......no, look at me “. lol.

Honest answer. If tigers tour champ win is this year , I’d vote for him.

He’s like David Simms minus the fake camera act.

I respect his level of play. But to root for a guy he has to at least appear to be someone you could be in the same room with and not want to throat punch. Oddly enough I find most anyone on tour more likable than this guy. And I’ve followed him since the challenge tour in Europe. But he rarely spoke on camera then. Now every single word I hear throws up my natural upchuck reflex.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was about to make an argument for Rory based on his superior scoring average and the fact that his Player's Championship keeps being ignored, but then I remembered Koepka had 3 2nd place finishes to Rory's one and of course 2 of those being in majors is a big deal. I would say Brooks gets it unless we place extra emphasis on this Fedex cup victory.

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 10:38pm #38

Brooks wins the PGA Player of the Year.
    This is the points one.

Brooks Koepka 84
    Rory McIlroy 78
    Patrick Cantlay 42
    Gary Woodland 42
    Matt Kuchar 36

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brooks-koepka-wins-pga-player-of-the-year-over-rory-mcilroy

The PGA and PGA Tour POY have not differed since 1991.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Let's be real. Brooks won two majors. Rory won none. Brooks also won a WGC. There's no way Brooks isn't POY.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 11:03pm #40

@chigolfer1 said:
    Let's be real. Brooks won two majors. Rory won none. Brooks also won a WGC. There's no way Brooks isn't POY.

The CJ Cup is a major?

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 11:04pm #41
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chigolfer1 said:

He contended in all 4 majors and won the PGA. He's player of the year. Everyone knew he was the best player out there all season long

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brooks but Rory gave it a great shot. Hoping these two can maintain and start a great rivalry over the next 5 to 10 years. We will see. Hard for me to pick my favorite.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chigolfer1 said:

First off, I'd vote for BK for POY even though I don't like him much. You have to take the personalities out. But besides the PGA, what other major did BK win? I think you are wrong on facts there. As for a WGC - they count for a lot FedEX points wise, but personally I'd rank a Player's above any WGC by virtue of a bigger, better field. WGC's are limited field events. If you replaced Rory's Canadian Open win with a Major I'd say it would be a wash for POY. Substitute out the Player's or TC for a Major and I say its closer but still Brooks by a hair.

W/S Cortex 10.5* - Atmos Red - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • NV825NV825 Just a Baby Fade Members Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible year for both. I bet the players will weigh Brooks' major finishes higher because the tournaments carry more prestige.

• JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rory imo. Winning one major shouldnt be emphasized as much. Two majors then yeah PoY (unless of course someone else had 2).

TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX (yellow)
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • shakeyshakey OvenWRX 1 Members Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy About Golf said:

@KRAMER1997 said:
    Tiger!!!!! The PGA Tour is a business, and he brought more revenue this year than Koepka, Rory, DJ, and any other player. Plus winning the Masters also helped.

@Hankshank said:
    Tiger

Tiger's results this year: T20, T15, T10, T30, 1, CUT, T9, T21, CUT, CUT, T37
    Koepka results: 1, T16, 24, T27, T2, CUT, T56, T2, T22, 4, 1, T50, 2, T57, 65, T4, 1, T30, T24, T3
    McIlroy results: T54, T4, T5, T4, 2, T6, 1, T21, T8, T8, CUT, 1, T9, CUT, T4, T6, T19, 1

Tiger doesn't even belong in the conversation. It isn't even close.

Rory spent most of the year with his B game and still racked up the top 10s. Crazy.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w/Tensei Orange 60 S
    Ping G410 3(14.5) w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
    NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
    Nike VPC 4-PW w/Modus 120 Stiff

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

TM TP5 Pix
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Brooks !!!
    Well deserved !!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • JDCONJDCON PrincetonMembers Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the thread debating if fat Rory is better than fit Rory? That's the question the golfing world needs answered.

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

That Rory never even contended in any of the majors - despite an otherwise awesome year - is enough to give it to Brooks.

Titleist TS4 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 56°, 58°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@shakey said:

@Crazy About Golf said:

@KRAMER1997 said:
    Tiger!!!!! The PGA Tour is a business, and he brought more revenue this year than Koepka, Rory, DJ, and any other player. Plus winning the Masters also helped.

@Hankshank said:
    Tiger

Tiger's results this year: T20, T15, T10, T30, 1, CUT, T9, T21, CUT, CUT, T37
    Koepka results: 1, T16, 24, T27, T2, CUT, T56, T2, T22, 4, 1, T50, 2, T57, 65, T4, 1, T30, T24, T3
    McIlroy results: T54, T4, T5, T4, 2, T6, 1, T21, T8, T8, CUT, 1, T9, CUT, T4, T6, T19, 1

Tiger doesn't even belong in the conversation. It isn't even close.

Rory spent most of the year with his B game and still racked up the top 10s. Crazy.

no, his game was his game ... the ceiling of a player does not the player make ...

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MelloYello said:
    Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, The Fed Ex Cup and the Vardon Trophy.

When and how did the Fed Ex Cup become historically significant?

• HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aenemated said:
    That Rory never even contended in any of the majors - despite an otherwise awesome year - is enough to give it to Brooks.

Thats the question really. What is majors performances compared to performances in other tournaments.
    One of the most remarkable number that Tiger had and one that he often mentioned was the number of tournaments without missing the cut. He did not do bad tournaments. Doing little bad is rather big.
    That said, It think I agree with you.

Rory at the first tee of Portrush did not help his getting the POY. That hole must be his worst golf memory of this year. Not that he cares much about the POY supposedly, but that hook is probably the one he would pick for the mulligan of the year...

edited Aug 27, 2019 7:49am #54

Regarding Tiger - No, at least I was not really serious. But his win at AN is definitely the *rgasm of the year. The John Holmes Trophy goes to him(you understand, you old).

Rory and Shane has a good race for runner-up in this category with their respective performances at Portrush. How Brooks or Gary won I cannot even remember.

• iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Koepka.

Nike wins either way.

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We are putting Rory in the discussion because of the gazillions he won at the Tour Championship. Would they have been 2M$ nobody would have cared. 1, 10, or 100m$ doesn't differ. Rory is richer, but Brooks played better.

@imakaveli said:
    We are putting Rory in the discussion because of the gazillions he won at the Tour Championship. Would they have been 2M$ nobody would have cared. 1, 10, or 100m$ doesn't differ. Rory is richer, but Brooks played better.

Rory had more going for him. Players and lot of good results, mr consistency. But he didnt show that A-game of his many times.

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping they'd give it to Rory just to see how much saltier Brooks can get.

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70xx || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* FujikuraMotore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* DiamanaBlueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Scotty1140 said:
    I’m a much bigger McIlroy fan but I have to say Koepka.

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hankshank said:

@imakaveli said:

Rory had more going for him. Players and lot of good results, mr consistency. But he didnt show that A-game of his many times.

Rory is now a golden journeyman, Koepka is dominating the PGA Tour.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@imakaveli said:

@Hankshank said:

@imakaveli said:

Rory is now a golden journeyman, Koepka is dominating the PGA Tour.

The digs at Rory are never ending but getting more and more ridiculous. Golden journeyman is silly.
    Koepka's been the best player in the majors since 2017 by some distance but he isn't even close to dominating the PGA Tour.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
This discussion has been closed.