Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Player of the year

Comments

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.
    Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rory4Pres said:
    As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.
    Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

• vbbvbb Members Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reasonable people can disagree, but both had "a case" for being named POTY. If there is a legitimate argument to be made for more than one person, and because it is being voted on by people, popularity and likeability will inevitably become part of the equation. Brooks just isn't the most liked guy out there, so it isn't surprising that the pros picked Rory.

Cobra Bio Cell 10.5* stock (R) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport mallet
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

Or maybe the players recognize that, whatever you call them, the Player’s is a tougher win, and “we’re” not doing the comparing, they are. There are no criteria for this award, it’s a weighing of accomplishments and perhaps strength of field is as good a factor as any.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 

@vbb said:
    Reasonable people can disagree, but both had "a case" for being named POTY. If there is a legitimate argument to be made for more than one person, and because it is being voted on by people, popularity and likeability will inevitably become part of the equation. Brooks just isn't the most liked guy out there, so it isn't surprising that the pros picked Rory.

I think the decision came down to gf's/wives... Clearly that awkward rejected kiss by Brooks at the PGA championship cost him the POTY award.

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

• Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think 14 top tens in 19 events had a LOT to do with the voting..........the players voting realize playing at that level is an incredible accomplishment !

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

You seem like the type of person who likes to argue with an encyclopedia.

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:
    The perks of winning a major championship
    Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major
    If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
    If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
    If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years
    If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years
    You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years
    You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions
    You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what
    You get 600 FedEx Cup points
    You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

• 00steven00steven Northern MIMembers Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭

I get Brooks run in the majors, but if I take the term Player of the year literally, than Rory fits the bill. He was the best all year.

Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M4
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M4
    4 iron: Titleist AP1 
    5-9: Titleist AP1 716 
    PW: Titleist CB 716 
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • 00steven00steven Northern MIMembers Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭

Also a question, is it the best for 18-19 PGA calendar or 2019 calendar year? I’m guessing 18-19?

Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M4
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M4
    4 iron: Titleist AP1 
    5-9: Titleist AP1 716 
    PW: Titleist CB 716 
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

@00steven said:
    Also a question, is it the best for 18-19 PGA calendar or 2019 calendar year? I’m guessing 18-19?

Good question. I'm guessing it's from the first event that gets fedex cup points and on.

• Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

@Rory4Pres said:
    I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:
    Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major
    If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
    If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
    If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years
    If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years
    You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years
    You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

The Players Championship also comes with lots of exemptions and perks too as noted on this page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Players_Championship

I'm glad McIlroy won the PGA Tour Player of the Year Award instead of the guy who seems to spew [email protected] out of his mouth every time he opens it. 14 top tens in 19 events, best scoring average of the year, and winning the Players Championship makes a much more impressive year than winning or placing well in some tournament that was give the name "major" by some hack media person who couldn't shoot a decent score in his life (if he was ever a golfer to begin with), or an organization (with the power) that self appointed itself as a "major".

I think the trophy in the bottom left is supposed to be the Vardon trophy, but does it look like Byron Nelson to anyone else.

Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter

• SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Rory had the more consistent and therefore better season. Top 10 finishes in 14 of 19 (74%) with 3 wins (0 majors) vs Brooks 9 of 21(43%) with 3 wins (1 major). He also was ahead of Brooks in several other cats from SG tee to green, SG putting, scrambling etc. Numbers don't lie, Rory is POY and for good reason not sure what all the fuss is about.

TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rory would trade his wins for Brooks' wins (because of the Major). Brooks would not trade his wins and major for Rory's wins.

• SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@imakaveli said:
    We are putting Rory in the discussion because of the gazillions he won at the Tour Championship. Would they have been 2M$ nobody would have cared. 1, 10, or 100m$ doesn't differ. Rory is richer, but Brooks played better.

Statistics would disagree with you

TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

https://www.theplayers.com/content/the-players/news/2017/05/14/benefits-of-winning-the-players/_jcr_content/articleBodyCenterParsys/textimage/image.img.jpg/1494783348487.jpg

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

@LICC said:

@Rory4Pres said:

Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@straightshot7 said:
    Rory would trade his wins for Brooks' wins (because of the Major). Brooks would not trade his wins and major for Rory's wins.

Is that what they told you?

@straightshot7 said:

No way Rory would trade the Players and Tour Championship for the PGA

• jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

the PGA TOUR award is a purely subjective exercise...
    ..and it shows just how much the players value or respect Brooks..
    I liken it to a "all other things being equal..' situation..

unfair to Brooks..but it is what it is..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SavageCy said:
    Rory had the more consistent and therefore better season. Top 10 finishes in 14 of 19 (74%) with 3 wins (0 majors) vs Brooks 9 of 21(43%) with 3 wins (1 major). He also was ahead of Brooks in several other cats from SG tee to green, SG putting, scrambling etc. Numbers don't lie, Rory is POY and for good reason not sure what all the fuss is about.

Brooks was top 5 in four majors, only four other guys have ever done this (and won one). It's ridiculous that someone would be in this company and lose POY because someone else was in a few more top 10s.

edited Sep 11, 2019 10:56pm #117

@cdnglf said:

@straightshot7 said:

Is that what they told you?

Yes. In our group text. Tiger is also in there.

• TasalsTasals Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭

@LICC said:

@straightshot7 said:

I dunno, he very likely might. Another major propels him up the all time accomplishment list. Another 15 million wont change his lifestyle dramatically. This is a kid who signed a massive deal with Nike that put him up there with legends of the game in other sports.

• jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..
    imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

but that's just me..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60

@LICC said:

@straightshot7 said:

It's The Players, RBC Canadian Open, Tour Championship VS. THE CJ CUP @ NINE BRIDGES, PGA Championship, World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational

20 years from now they will both have more money than they need, and the title of PGA Championship is the most important out of that group.

@Tasals said:

@LICC said:

@straightshot7 said:

I dunno, he very likely might. Another major propels him up the all time accomplishment list. Another 15 million wont change his lifestyle dramatically. This is a kid who signed a massive deal with Nike that put him up there with legends of the game in other sports.

He already won the PGA twice. Being a Players winner now and the only player beside Tiger to win the Tour FedEx twice means more than one more PGA

This discussion has been closed.