GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Mallet vs Blade

Kaexo ·  
KaexoKaexo Members  873WRX Points: 95Posts: 873 Golden Tee

We all know most every loves the look of a blade but how many people use a mallet now vs a blade.
I know tour stats don't really translate to us mere mortals but in 2018 56% of the top 50 players in SG putting used mallets including 8 of the top 10 but 52% of the top 50 players OWGR used blades.
Curious the comparison of amateurs.

Posted:

Mallet vs Blade

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members  322WRX Points: 108Posts: 322 Greens
    Blade

Tbh, the pros can putt with a log and still be amazing. Probably the main reason they use mallets is because they are playing for their livelihoods and want every little advantage they may get. If you put a blade in the hands in every tour player using a mallet, they probably wouldn't be much worse if at all.

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

WITB
    • Driver - MIZUNO ST 200 (In future)
    • Fairway - MIZUNO GT 180 TS - 16 degrees - Aldila Tour Blue (X tipped to play like TX)
    • Irons - MIZUNO MP-20 Blended Set - 3-6 HMB | 7-9 Blade - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Wedges - MIZUNO T20 Chrome - 46-06 | 51-08 | 56-10 | 60-06 - KBS $ Taper 130
    • Putter - PING Vault 2.0 - Voss
    • Ball - Titleist Pro V1X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • drscott266drscott266 Members  663WRX Points: 218Posts: 663 Golden Tee

i recently switched from a Newport 2 to a Toulon Las Vegas, and have never putted better. When you pure a blade it goes where it should, but with a mallet I can literally slightly mishit it and still have the ball roll on line. There is definite science behind it, if it fits you a mallet should help you make more putts on slight mis hits.

Posted:
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1376WRX Points: 382Handicap: 6.5 and trendingPosts: 1,376 ClubWRX
    Mallet

Played with a Scotty Newport for years and putted good. Tried a Rife 2-Bar Mallet and then putted even better, played that for several years and am now gaming the PXG Gunboat H. Mallets are so much easier to line up and using a counterweight with a mallet gives me the best results. Never going back to a blade, yep I said never!!

Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
    3 WD -        Taylor Made M6 14* | Atmos Orange Stiff 
    HYBRIDS -  Adams Pro A12 -  2 / 3 / UST Mamiya VTS Silver Stiff
    IRONS -      PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -          PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -     Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• Smada962Smada962 Members  201WRX Points: 181Posts: 201 Fairways
    Blade

Blade for me. I don't know what it is but I struggle with alignment and hitting putts solid with a mallet as opposed to the trusty NP2 or Anser 2 style blade. I'm sure it's mental but for some reason I putt much better with that style blade. I had been using mostly mallets over the last two seasons due to all the hype and I just switched back to a NP2 and am putting so much better than I did with the last couple mallets.

Posted:
  • buntabunta Members  832WRX Points: 487Posts: 832 Golden Tee

i found out the location of the alignment lines are more important to me than the shape.

I line up better with a lines on the topline compared to the majority of putter with alignments on the flange or below the topline.

Posted:
    TS3 / U65|785 / SM7 / Anser W
  • fundustrialfundustrial Members  58WRX Points: 21Posts: 58 Bunkers
    Blade

I used a mallet but switched to a blade recently as had trouble with lag putting with the mallet. Only 3 rounds in but initial feeling seems to be controlling distance is a lot easier (for me) than before. We will see though!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • j.a.j.a. Members  1750WRX Points: 194Posts: 1,750 Platinum Tees
    Blade

I went backwards to the previous comments. I started with a Cleveland mallet, then I had several Odyssey mallet putters, some with complex alignment marks until one day I got a SC Sonoma II, simpler mid-mallet. I tried a SC Newport that was fantastic but instead I got a cheaper Nike 006 midnight, a Lajosi DD201WB, a Kingston KP1 GSS an finally the best of the lot, a Lajosi L-blade (Bullseye) flange without any alignment aids. I love it’s simplicity and effectiveness.

Posted:
  • BunkerFinderBunkerFinder Members  51WRX Points: 70Posts: 51 Bunkers
    Blade

Golf is a mental sport and putting the most mental piece. I’m lucky that I am so mental I can put with either the blade or mallet. 3 putts are consistent either way 😳. That said. Looking at the putter, the blade still give more confidence in my strike than the mallet. Puts the feel into it hands and not the club.

Posted:
  • tdennietdennie Members  90WRX Points: 24Posts: 90 Fairways
    Mallet

I normally play with a Newport 2 but I think I am going to go back to a mallet with the fastback and see how I fare.

Posted:
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3930WRX Points: 358Handicap: 12.9Posts: 3,930 Titanium Tees
    Blade

I’m currently in a blade mood. But them Spiders look awful tempting

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
    6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM7
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

• Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz Members  890WRX Points: 187Handicap: 13Posts: 890 Golden Tee
    Mallet

Does an odyssey #9 mid-mallet count as a mallet? I’m up to 6 of varying sizes in that head shape & they all fit in standard blade covers.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Mg3sncMg3snc Members  29WRX Points: 10Posts: 29 Bunkers
    Mallet

I had a Scotty Cameron Newport for a while which worked well enough, but I got the itch to buy this year. Tried the futura 6m and wasn't confident at all. Got a toulon Las Vegas and it is money. Mallets with toe hang are awesome. May add another toulon mallet, maybe the atlanta, to the arsenal soon...

Posted:
  • COmedicCOmedic Members  202WRX Points: 78Posts: 202 Fairways
    Mallet

I wanted to keep a blade in my bag since I’ve gone back to MP32’s for the classic feel, but was missing way too many putts within 6’. Stroke Lab 7s has made a big impact for me.

Posted:
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4419WRX Points: 494Handicap: 3Posts: 4,419 Titanium Tees
    Blade

Blade
    For me it makes the ball and hole look bigger and I can make a more confident stroke

Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3825WRX Points: 794Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,825 Titanium Tees
    Blade

I can square up a rectangular blade (naked!) to my line much better than a large mallet shape.

Posted:

PING Hoofer Lite

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

(PING G25 23* 4h)

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P

Titleist SM7 52.08F, 58.08M

PING BeCu Scottsdale Anser

• HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Green Balls MichiganMembers  202WRX Points: 79Handicap: 18?Posts: 202 Fairways
    Blade

Blade 4 lyfe!
    No, but seriously. I own a blade putter, a sort of knockoff of a Cleveland (I believe) made by Knight. It does the job. But, I'm certainly open to new things...I'd love to find a mallet putter at a thrift store or garage sale or something and give 'er a go.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  875WRX Points: 614Posts: 875 Golden Tee

A square-ish mallet with the alignment line on the topline. In my mind I'm still basically using a blade with a bunch of stuff behind it that I'm not focused on.

Or a wide bodied blade, which I think is more mallet than blade.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero driver
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
    Cobra F9 5 wood
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.
    Ping Heppler ZB3
  • Hjosh7_Hjosh7_ Members  270WRX Points: 81Handicap: 18Posts: 270 Greens
    Blade

83.33% of my putters are blades. I have only used the mallet I have (Cleveland Huntington Beach 6) for 3 rounds. My current gamer is a Bettinardi BB29. Blades ftw.

Posted:
    WITB:
    TaylorMade M1(2016) 9.5° - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff
    TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Silver 70 Stiff 
    TaylorMade M4 19° Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80 Stiff
    PING G30 22° Hybrid - PING TFC 419H Stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-PW - Project X Flighted 6.5
    Cleveland RTX 3 50°/54°/60° - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Bettinardi BB29 - Flatso 1.0 - 35”
    Titleist ProV1

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members  8047WRX Points: 629Posts: 8,047 Titanium Tees
    Mallet

Blade putter forever but put the Spider Mini Copper in the bag this year and couldn't be happier.

Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10.5° (-) | (fw tbd) | PING G410 19° (F-) | PING i25 22°, 26° | Callaway XHP 6-AW | PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES | PING Heppler Ketsch, 34.75"
    Srixon Z-Star Yellow
  • JDW3JDW3 Members  651WRX Points: 106Handicap: 4.5Posts: 651 Golden Tee
    Blade

Always a blade for me. I don't like looking down at mallets.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS2
    3 wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • DGord10DGord10 ClubWRX  92WRX Points: 57Posts: 92 ClubWRX

In many ways I really like looking at address at a blade but for my stroke I need something that is pretty much face balanced or just slight toe hang. However, as helpful as some of those larger mallets can be with keeping putts on line, I don't feel comfortable with large mallets and have speed control issues with them from long distance. As a result, I ended up going to a Bettinardi QB6 - seems to combine the attributes that have been working well for me. However, I do have a face balanced Bettinardi BB0 blade that I will need to bring out on the course to test out.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • justinew16justinew16 Members  11WRX Points: 7Posts: 11 Bunkers

I run both regular. Phantom x7 and super rat concept 1. The blade is on when it’s on but the mallet is more consistent across the board. I’d say I make more with the blade but my misses are better with the mallet.

Posted:
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2914WRX Points: 304Posts: 2,914 Titanium Tees

Have used Ping b60 and Cleveland cs mallet plus Odyssey rossie 11 then Seemore then got a Ping anser in a full bag trade....and been on pal anser and pro plat mid slant.I think last 5 years there is so much choice on the web and grips shafts plus software and videos...to assist or confuse you.I still just look to roll a 10 and 20 yard putt to test a putter...simple as that.

Posted:
    2020 18 July mid winterNZ

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    Nike VrS 3wood
    Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63

54     RTX2
    60     RTX2

ProPlatinum NewportTwo
    2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
    Dont hesitate to buy one!

• tleadertleader Members  678WRX Points: 174Posts: 678 Golden Tee

Blade for me. Struggle with distance control with a mallet. I’ve got confidence and a comfort level with a blade that I just can’t get with a mallet...yet. Lol.

Posted:
  • FEUOFEUO LaSalle, OntarioMembers  268WRX Points: 73Posts: 268 Greens

I love the looks of blades, but putt much better with a mallet. Just wish headcovers for mid and smaller mallets had better selections.

Posted:
  • DeadsquigglesDeadsquiggles Members  112WRX Points: 30Posts: 112 Fairways
    Blade

Played a blade for 2 seasons, and just this February, got a Red Spider Tour for my first mallet, and while it’s been good, I’m missing that blade look so I snagged. Titleist TopSighter TS-251 on EBay to finish and try gaming.

Posted:

Driver: TaylorMade M4 8.5* with Mitsubishi Tensei White, 45"
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M4 3W with Fujikura Atmos Red, 42.5"
    Irons: TaylorMade M4 Irons 4-PW with KBS Tours
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 50*, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 60*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1
    Ball: TP5 Pix

Advertisement
  • Zen_GolferZen_Golfer Columbus, OHMembers  365WRX Points: 238Handicap: 10Posts: 365 Greens
    Mallet

I was a blade man for years but have recently made the switch to a mallet. For me, its more a matter of the aiming aims that a mallet has. Mallets have a longer aiming line and make it easier to line yourself up, IMO.
    I still love blades and put a Wilson 8802 or Titleist Bullseye in the bag from time to time but I think that if I were playing in a competitive round where I needed to play my best, Id probably put the Scotty Newport Detour in the bag.

Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4328WRX Points: 575Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,328 Titanium Tees
    Blade

Blade / Anser, plumber neck or flow neck or 8802 style work best for me as they're the styles I grew up with and learned to putt with.
    I've tried mallets several times over the years, but always come back to a blade.
    Mallets tend to draw my eyes back on take away, and I also pull putts quite a bit with them. I think they work against my natural stroke.
    I can get my with a smaller head mallet in a pinch, but not my preferred look.

Posted:
    Post edited by RainShadow on
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude WisconsinMembers  39WRX Points: 34Handicap: 10.1 and getting worsePosts: 39 Bunkers
    Mallet

Have been using a mallet for the last 2 seasons, and now looking at going back to a blade, or the spider mallet.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.