Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mallet vs Blade

KaexoKaexo Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all know most every loves the look of a blade but how many people use a mallet now vs a blade.
I know tour stats don't really translate to us mere mortals but in 2018 56% of the top 50 players in SG putting used mallets including 8 of the top 10 but 52% of the top 50 players OWGR used blades.
Curious the comparison of amateurs.

Mallet vs Blade

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 2:01pm #2
    Blade

Tbh, the pros can putt with a log and still be amazing. Probably the main reason they use mallets is because they are playing for their livelihoods and want every little advantage they may get. If you put a blade in the hands in every tour player using a mallet, they probably wouldn't be much worse if at all.

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • drscott266drscott266 Members Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭

i recently switched from a Newport 2 to a Toulon Las Vegas, and have never putted better. When you pure a blade it goes where it should, but with a mallet I can literally slightly mishit it and still have the ball roll on line. There is definite science behind it, if it fits you a mallet should help you make more putts on slight mis hits.

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 1,055 ClubWRX
    Mallet

Played with a Scotty Newport for years and putted good. Tried a Rife 2-Bar Mallet and then putted even better, played that for several years and am now gaming the PXG Gunboat H. Mallets are so much easier to line up and using a counterweight with a mallet gives me the best results. Never going back to a blade, yep I said never!!

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    PXG Gen 2 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    JumboMax Medium grips on ALL 
    PXG Gunboat H Putter
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • Smada962Smada962 Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Blade

Blade for me. I don't know what it is but I struggle with alignment and hitting putts solid with a mallet as opposed to the trusty NP2 or Anser 2 style blade. I'm sure it's mental but for some reason I putt much better with that style blade. I had been using mostly mallets over the last two seasons due to all the hype and I just switched back to a NP2 and am putting so much better than I did with the last couple mallets.

• buntabunta Members Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭

i found out the location of the alignment lines are more important to me than the shape.

I line up better with a lines on the topline compared to the majority of putter with alignments on the flange or below the topline.

TS3, s55, SM7, Juno
  • fundustrialfundustrial Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Blade

I used a mallet but switched to a blade recently as had trouble with lag putting with the mallet. Only 3 rounds in but initial feeling seems to be controlling distance is a lot easier (for me) than before. We will see though!

• j.a.j.a. Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

I went backwards to the previous comments. I started with a Cleveland mallet, then I had several Odyssey mallet putters, some with complex alignment marks until one day I got a SC Sonoma II, simpler mid-mallet. I tried a SC Newport that was fantastic but instead I got a cheaper Nike 006 midnight, a Lajosi DD201WB, a Kingston KP1 GSS an finally the best of the lot, a Lajosi L-blade (Bullseye) flange without any alignment aids. I love it’s simplicity and effectiveness.

• BunkerFinderBunkerFinder Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Blade

Golf is a mental sport and putting the most mental piece. I’m lucky that I am so mental I can put with either the blade or mallet. 3 putts are consistent either way 😳. That said. Looking at the putter, the blade still give more confidence in my strike than the mallet. Puts the feel into it hands and not the club.

• tdennietdennie Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Mallet

I normally play with a Newport 2 but I think I am going to go back to a mallet with the fastback and see how I fare.

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

I’m currently in a blade mood. But them Spiders look awful tempting

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz Members Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mallet

Does an odyssey #9 mid-mallet count as a mallet? I’m up to 6 of varying sizes in that head shape & they all fit in standard blade covers.

• Mg3sncMg3snc Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Mallet

I had a Scotty Cameron Newport for a while which worked well enough, but I got the itch to buy this year. Tried the futura 6m and wasn't confident at all. Got a toulon Las Vegas and it is money. Mallets with toe hang are awesome. May add another toulon mallet, maybe the atlanta, to the arsenal soon...

• COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    Mallet

I wanted to keep a blade in my bag since I’ve gone back to MP32’s for the classic feel, but was missing way too many putts within 6’. Stroke Lab 7s has made a big impact for me.

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

Blade
    For me it makes the ball and hole look bigger and I can make a more confident stroke

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Hybrid = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

I can square up a rectangular blade (naked!) to my line much better than a large mallet shape.

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Scramble King MichiganMembers Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Blade

Blade 4 lyfe!
    No, but seriously. I own a blade putter, a sort of knockoff of a Cleveland (I believe) made by Knight. It does the job. But, I'm certainly open to new things...I'd love to find a mallet putter at a thrift store or garage sale or something and give 'er a go.

• MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭

A square-ish mallet with the alignment line on the topline. In my mind I'm still basically using a blade with a bunch of stuff behind it that I'm not focused on.

Or a wide bodied blade, which I think is more mallet than blade.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, Project X EvenFlow Blue 75
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid, Kuro Kage Black
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Toulon Columbus / Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
  • Hjosh7_Hjosh7_ Members Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭
    Blade

83.33% of my putters are blades. I have only used the mallet I have (Cleveland Huntington Beach 6) for 3 rounds. My current gamer is a Bettinardi BB29. Blades ftw.

WITB:
    TaylorMade M1(2016) 9.5° - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 Stiff
    TaylorMade Aeroburner 16.5° - Matrix White Tie 70X4 Stiff
    PING G30 17°/22° Hybrids - PING TFC 419H Stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-PW - True Temper DG Pro S300
    Cleveland RTX 3 50°/54°/60° - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Nike Method Matter B2-01 - Flatso 1.0 - 35.25"
    Top Flite Gamer Tour

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mallet

Blade putter forever but put the Spider Mini Copper in the bag this year and couldn't be happier.

PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • JDW3JDW3 Members Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

Always a blade for me. I don't like looking down at mallets.

Driver: Titleist TS2
    3 wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • DGord10DGord10 ClubWRX Posts: 68 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 28, 2019 7:39pm #22

In many ways I really like looking at address at a blade but for my stroke I need something that is pretty much face balanced or just slight toe hang. However, as helpful as some of those larger mallets can be with keeping putts on line, I don't feel comfortable with large mallets and have speed control issues with them from long distance. As a result, I ended up going to a Bettinardi QB6 - seems to combine the attributes that have been working well for me. However, I do have a face balanced Bettinardi BB0 blade that I will need to bring out on the course to test out.

• justinew16justinew16 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

I run both regular. Phantom x7 and super rat concept 1. The blade is on when it’s on but the mallet is more consistent across the board. I’d say I make more with the blade but my misses are better with the mallet.

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have used Ping b60 and Cleveland cs mallet plus Odyssey rossie 11 then Seemore then got a Ping anser in a full bag trade....and been on pal anser and pro plat mid slant.I think last 5 years there is so much choice on the web and grips shafts plus software and videos...to assist or confuse you.I still just look to roll a 10 and 20 yard putt to test a putter...simple as that.

2019 September nice bag

Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10
    Ping B60 
    DarkTanTitleistCap

• tleadertleader Members Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blade for me. Struggle with distance control with a mallet. I’ve got confidence and a comfort level with a blade that I just can’t get with a mallet...yet. Lol.

• SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    Blade

Used both but I like blades better for 3-4 footers as it aligns more easily for me.

• bordercitygolferbordercitygolfer Members Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    Mallet

I love the looks of blades, but putt much better with a mallet. Just wish headcovers for mid and smaller mallets had better selections.

Driver - TM M6, Matrix Ozik MFS M5 black tie X
    3W - Callaway Epic, Fubuki X
    H - Nike VRS 3&4, Fubuki S
    Irons - Bridgestone J40, ProjectX 6.0
    Wedges - Scratch DD 50/53/58
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Global Limited, Mills Ming

• DeadsquigglesDeadsquiggles Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Blade

Played a blade for 2 seasons, and just this February, got a Red Spider Tour for my first mallet, and while it’s been good, I’m missing that blade look so I snagged. Titleist TopSighter TS-251 on EBay to finish and try gaming.

Driver: TaylorMade M4 8.5* with Fujikura Atmos Red (EvenFlow Blue coming soon)
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M4 3W with Fujikura Atmos Red
    Irons: TaylorMade M4 Irons 4-PW with KBS Tours
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 50*, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Tour Spider Red 35"
    Ball: Cut Blue or Srixon Z-Star

• Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Mallet

I was a blade man for years but have recently made the switch to a mallet. For me, its more a matter of the aiming aims that a mallet has. Mallets have a longer aiming line and make it easier to line yourself up, IMO.
    I still love blades and put a Wilson 8802 or Titleist Bullseye in the bag from time to time but I think that if I were playing in a competitive round where I needed to play my best, Id probably put the Scotty Newport Detour in the bag.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 31, 2019 5:57pm #30
    Blade

Blade / Anser, plumber neck or flow neck or 8802 style work best for me as they're the styles I grew up with and learned to putt with.
    I've tried mallets several times over the years, but always come back to a blade.
    Mallets tend to draw my eyes back on take away, and I also pull putts quite a bit with them. I think they work against my natural stroke.
    I can get my with a smaller head mallet in a pinch, but not my preferred look.

Post edited by RainShadow on
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude WisconsinMembers Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Mallet

Have been using a mallet for the last 2 seasons, and now looking at going back to a blade, or the spider mallet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file