Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

GolfWRX 2019 Best Drivers Discussion Thread

1235»

Comments

• jimbjimb Members Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2019 2:42am #122

I had the Epic SZ drive for the past couple of seasons and liked it. But I felt I needed more spin (getting older). So I tried the Epic Flash at the PGA Tour SS and liked what I was seeing and feeling. I picked up a new look head only on The Bay for $250. Of course, I checked the serial number on it with Callaway customer service and it was good. I had an Evenflow Blue in my SZ and plug it into the Flash head and hit it at the range.

The one thing I noticed immediately was the impact was softer. The sound was also livelier. What I got was more distance with the Flash and more consistency. No doubt owing to more spin. I had hit some Taylormade drivers and the new Titleist, but only in the stall. I just have an affinity for the Callaway drivers I guess. The Flash is a great driver. It would be my choice, despite not hitting all that's out there.

• tiger168tiger168 San Francisco Bay Area, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone compare the number for Tense vs Smoke on the Epic Flash / SZ ??

• lordemsworthlordemsworth Members Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts for low spin players? I have a between 95 and 100 and hit up 4, but don’t generate a lot of spin.

@Willbda said:
    I have found that for high spin players, the best Driver has been the Ping 410 LST, with a Project X HZDUS Yellow shaft. Low spin, higher launch. The driver head itself it the most forgiving in my opinion.

• Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 5:18pm #125

I think golf Club manufacturers love conversations like this.

Post edited by Mikey5e on
  • VGVGVGVG Bryn Mawr, PAMembers Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

The M6 with a AD DI was the best combo for me during my fitting. I should also point out that the HZRDUS Smoke is a great stock offering. If you don’t want to spend extra on a Graphite Design shaft like I did, just go with the Smoke.

• zcarman93zcarman93 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

I'll get completely flamed for this one, but my bag is home to the Wilson Cortex this season. After the Epic Flash didn't improve on the numbers that the Rogue SZ gave me, I tried a few others (F9, M5/M6, Mizzy 190, etc...) the Cortex delivered amazing numbers (was $100 less than many of the others) and kept the "left pull" of the play for me. I would still probably rate it as even with the Rogue, but it surprised me that Wilson built a driver that could compete with the others. After the long line of "meh" drivers that Wilson put out starting with the M3, it was really nice to see such a great performer with so many fitting options brought out. Had it been tossed out at $349, I think it would have made a big dent in the big guys market share - just like the Tour Edge EXS did.

Anyways, LOVE this break down and thanks for doing it by swing speed. It's completely true that different head and shaft combos work very differently depending on how hard they are swung.

• dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 5:56pm #128

Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g

405 yd par 4. Straight away, fairway ends at 97 yards from the green, into rough and a pond. Tees set right at the 405 marker.

Back story. 42, 3x back surgery from motorcycle racing and firefighting accidents, strong, but out of shape. SS with a driver is ~103-105, if I really crank one and not die I can hit 110.

No wind, hit a dead straight ProV1x that landed on the left center and rolled down to spittin' distance to the left of and dead pin high with the 100 yard marker. 305 yards total. Probably 285 carry based on how the day was going with roll out.

Could I have done that with any correct head/shaft combo in the last 10 years? Maybe, but I've had more than a few drivers over the years and it hasn't been common that's for sure.

Plus this one happened just a few months after back surgery #3 so for now, I'll drink the Flavor-Aid and say Callaway, you built a killer.

WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone hit the double diamond EF SZ and how does it compare to retail version?

• Bluedog54Bluedog54 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

I bought the Ping G410 Plus for the simple reason that the Ping hozzle adjustment allows for a "flat" lie setting... as far as I know, no other manufacturer offers this adjustment.

• SMUGamerSMUGamer Members Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Titleist does. You can flatten the lie angle by .75* > @Bluedog54 said:

I bought the Ping G410 Plus for the simple reason that the Ping hozzle adjustment allows for a "flat" lie setting... as far as I know, no other manufacturer offers this adjustment.

• handyquacks17handyquacks17 MassachusettsMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I switched this season from 915 d2 to M5 and dont regret it at all. took me a bit to adjust but now Im all set. Im surprised how accurate the m5 is and I picked up some easy distance

• ShaptalkShaptalk A Great Day To Be a Golfer ClubWRX Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

The Cobra has performed outstanding for me

Epon AF302 Irons
    Callaway Apex Black CF16
    Miura Wedges
    JBEAM ZY-7 , JBEAM ZY-11
    Fujikura Bangvoo Premium 260 CPM
    Scotty Cameron 009 Circle J
    Scotty Original Button Back
    Byron DH89 GSS Plumber Neck
    Byron DH89 GSS Flow Neck
    Lajosi KLP7J
    TP Mills Flat T Custom
    EDEL E-3 "The Gamer"
  • golfleftygolflefty Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting along really well with the standard flash. It may not be the longest combo I have ever played, but plenty long enough and it's definitely the straightest driver I've ever gamed. Hit 13/14 fairways last round, and the one missed was just a poor start line on a hole I always struggle with alignment on. I haven't been on the range with it enough, so wasn't trying to hit different shots with it, just my stock 5-10 yard draw. With that often comes some hooks, but none to speak of so far. If my 14 drives were shot traced last round they would've been right on top of each other. Very pleased so far.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 63g 6.5
    Titleist TS2 13.5* Fuji Pro TS 73x
    Titleist 980 17* Project X black
    Titleist 716cb 3-P Modus 125x
    Titleist SM6 52* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 58 Modus 125x
    Taylormade TP Soto Putter
    WITB Link
  • cma8516cma8516 Members Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

for me PXG Gen2 9* with an AD VR 7X has beaten out anything else i tested. I've hit every head out there right now with multiple shaft combinations and nothing has been able to bump it out of my bag.

• JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

@handyquacks17 said:
    I switched this season from 915 d2 to M5 and dont regret it at all. took me a bit to adjust but now Im all set. Im surprised how accurate the m5 is and I picked up some easy distance

I can second that, I had ping G, G30, g410, cobra F9 and after fitting for right shaft and moving weights, the M5 is one of the most accurate drivers I’ve owned and I’ve had a bunch, the dispersion is tighter than anything I’ve owned. I’ve actually got the 10.5, and both weights are all the way to draw and it’s either slightly fading or straight.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • IsaundersIsaunders Carstairs, ABMembers Posts: 27 ✭✭

Shouldn't be the best driver truly be the one that was fitted for you the best ?

• makavelimakaveli Members Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 16, 2019 1:09am #138

I have a fitting with Ryan at Carls Golfland coming up, very cool.

Post edited by makaveli on
  • launcherlauncher Members Posts: 49 ✭✭

@zcarman93 said:
    I'll get completely flamed for this one, but my bag is home to the Wilson Cortex this season. After the Epic Flash didn't improve on the numbers that the Rogue SZ gave me, I tried a few others (F9, M5/M6, Mizzy 190, etc...) the Cortex delivered amazing numbers (was $100 less than many of the others) and kept the "left pull" of the play for me. I would still probably rate it as even with the Rogue, but it surprised me that Wilson built a driver that could compete with the others. After the long line of "meh" drivers that Wilson put out starting with the M3, it was really nice to see such a great performer with so many fitting options brought out. Had it been tossed out at $349, I think it would have made a big dent in the big guys market share - just like the Tour Edge EXS did.

Anyways, LOVE this break down and thanks for doing it by swing speed. It's completely true that different head and shaft combos work very differently depending on how hard they are swung.

No flaming from me. I've posted about he Cortex previously. I think it's the best looking driver of 2019 by a large margin. After squiring, I installed an Elements Chrome, and it's been a fantastic driver all season. The sound was the only thing I was still not crazy about, but it was a big improvement over previous Wilson offerings. Would have liked to see more adjustability in the adapter settings, but overall the Cortex has been a great addition. I'm sure it will gain more popularity as the price continues to fall. Unfortunately for Wilson, most feel their product line won't compete price wise, and will have to have a steady drop.

Titleist 917d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f2 13.5
    Titleist 818h2 17d. 
    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
    Srixon u65 20d. 
    Scratch 8620 53d. 
    Odyssey White hot Pro

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file