GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

GolfWRX 2019 Best Drivers Discussion Thread

12357
7

Comments

  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1398WRX Points: 352Handicap: 15Posts: 1,398 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 12, 2019 #122

    I think golf Club manufacturers love conversations like this.

    Posted:
    Post edited by Mikey5e on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • VGVGVGVG Bryn Mawr, PAMembers  79WRX Points: 51Handicap: 6Posts: 79 Fairways
    Joined:  #123

    The M6 with a AD DI was the best combo for me during my fitting. I should also point out that the HZRDUS Smoke is a great stock offering. If you don’t want to spend extra on a Graphite Design shaft like I did, just go with the Smoke.

    Posted:
  • zcarman93zcarman93 Members  20WRX Points: 75Posts: 20 Bunkers
    Joined:  #124

    I'll get completely flamed for this one, but my bag is home to the Wilson Cortex this season. After the Epic Flash didn't improve on the numbers that the Rogue SZ gave me, I tried a few others (F9, M5/M6, Mizzy 190, etc...) the Cortex delivered amazing numbers (was $100 less than many of the others) and kept the "left pull" of the play for me. I would still probably rate it as even with the Rogue, but it surprised me that Wilson built a driver that could compete with the others. After the long line of "meh" drivers that Wilson put out starting with the M3, it was really nice to see such a great performer with so many fitting options brought out. Had it been tossed out at $349, I think it would have made a big dent in the big guys market share - just like the Tour Edge EXS did.

    Anyways, LOVE this break down and thanks for doing it by swing speed. It's completely true that different head and shaft combos work very differently depending on how hard they are swung.

    Posted:
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5611WRX Points: 609Posts: 5,611 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 7, 2019 #125

    Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g

    405 yd par 4. Straight away, fairway ends at 97 yards from the green, into rough and a pond. Tees set right at the 405 marker.

    Back story. 42, 3x back surgery from motorcycle racing and firefighting accidents, strong, but out of shape. SS with a driver is ~103-105, if I really crank one and not die I can hit 110.

    No wind, hit a dead straight ProV1x that landed on the left center and rolled down to spittin' distance to the left of and dead pin high with the 100 yard marker. 305 yards total. Probably 285 carry based on how the day was going with roll out.

    Could I have done that with any correct head/shaft combo in the last 10 years? Maybe, but I've had more than a few drivers over the years and it hasn't been common that's for sure.

    Plus this one happened just a few months after back surgery #3 so for now, I'll drink the Flavor-Aid and say Callaway, you built a killer.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

    Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • gambitgambit Members  4464WRX Points: 267Posts: 4,464 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #126

    Anyone hit the double diamond EF SZ and how does it compare to retail version?

    Posted:

    SIM 9 / Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX

    SIM 3/5 Woods / Tensei Pro Blue 70/80 TX

    Tour Issue Adams Pro Mini 23 / AD DI 95x

    Ping Blueprints 5-P / Steelfiber i110S

    Ping Glide Forged 50-54-60 / Steelfiber i125S

    Byron Morgan DH89

    Titleist Linksmaster

  • Bluedog54Bluedog54 Members  15WRX Points: 44Posts: 15 Bunkers
    Joined:  #127

    I bought the Ping G410 Plus for the simple reason that the Ping hozzle adjustment allows for a "flat" lie setting... as far as I know, no other manufacturer offers this adjustment.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer Members  762WRX Points: 215Posts: 762 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #128

    Titleist does. You can flatten the lie angle by .75* >

    On -, @Bluedog54 said:

    I bought the Ping G410 Plus for the simple reason that the Ping hozzle adjustment allows for a "flat" lie setting... as far as I know, no other manufacturer offers this adjustment.

    Posted:
  • handyquacks17handyquacks17 MassachusettsMembers  97WRX Points: 55Posts: 97 Fairways
    Joined:  #129

    I switched this season from 915 d2 to M5 and dont regret it at all. took me a bit to adjust but now Im all set. Im surprised how accurate the m5 is and I picked up some easy distance

    Posted:
  • ShaptalkShaptalk A Great Day To Be a Golfer ClubWRX  194WRX Points: 50Handicap: 4Posts: 194 Fairways
    Joined:  #130

    The Cobra has performed outstanding for me

    Posted:
    Cobra Forged Tech 2019 w/KBS $ Taper
    PXG 0311P Gen 2 w/project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist TS4 Driver w/ Evenflow White
    Evnroll 1.2 w/ Stability Shaft 
    Scotty Cameron 009 Circle J
    Scotty Original Button Back
    Byron DH89 GSS Plumber Neck
    Byron DH89 GSS Flow Neck

  • golfleftygolflefty Members  564WRX Points: 72Posts: 564 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #131

    Getting along really well with the standard flash. It may not be the longest combo I have ever played, but plenty long enough and it's definitely the straightest driver I've ever gamed. Hit 13/14 fairways last round, and the one missed was just a poor start line on a hole I always struggle with alignment on. I haven't been on the range with it enough, so wasn't trying to hit different shots with it, just my stock 5-10 yard draw. With that often comes some hooks, but none to speak of so far. If my 14 drives were shot traced last round they would've been right on top of each other. Very pleased so far.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5* Fuji Ventus Black 6x
    Titleist TS3 15* Fuji Pro TS 73x
    Titleist 980 17* Project X black
    Titleist 718T-MB 3&4 Modus 125x
    Titleist 718mb 5-9 Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 46* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 50* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM5 58* Modus 125w
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #7
    WITB Link
  • cma8516cma8516 Members  212WRX Points: 47Handicap: 6Posts: 212 Fairways
    Joined:  #132

    for me PXG Gen2 9* with an AD VR 7X has beaten out anything else i tested. I've hit every head out there right now with multiple shaft combinations and nothing has been able to bump it out of my bag.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers  591WRX Points: 239Handicap: 8Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #133

    On -, @handyquacks17 said:

    I switched this season from 915 d2 to M5 and dont regret it at all. took me a bit to adjust but now Im all set. Im surprised how accurate the m5 is and I picked up some easy distance

    I can second that, I had ping G, G30, g410, cobra F9 and after fitting for right shaft and moving weights, the M5 is one of the most accurate drivers I’ve owned and I’ve had a bunch, the dispersion is tighter than anything I’ve owned. I’ve actually got the 10.5, and both weights are all the way to draw and it’s either slightly fading or straight.

    Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • IsaundersIsaunders Carstairs, ABMembers  76WRX Points: 39Handicap: 3Posts: 76 Fairways
    Joined:  #134

    Shouldn't be the best driver truly be the one that was fitted for you the best ?

    Posted:
  • makavelimakaveli Members  474WRX Points: 76Posts: 474 Greens
    Joined:  edited Oct 2, 2019 #135

    I have a fitting with Ryan at Carls Golfland coming up, very cool. Considering he is one of the fitters that participated in this testing makes me feel if theres a better driver out there, were gonna find it.

    Update: We tried a bunch and I couldn't hit anything longer or straighter than my current driver of almost ten years, a Ping G20 9.5* with an even older Diamana Blue Board.

    Posted:
    Post edited by makaveli on
  • launcherlauncher Members  90WRX Points: 80Posts: 90 Fairways
    Joined:  #136

    On -, @zcarman93 said:

    I'll get completely flamed for this one, but my bag is home to the Wilson Cortex this season. After the Epic Flash didn't improve on the numbers that the Rogue SZ gave me, I tried a few others (F9, M5/M6, Mizzy 190, etc...) the Cortex delivered amazing numbers (was $100 less than many of the others) and kept the "left pull" of the play for me. I would still probably rate it as even with the Rogue, but it surprised me that Wilson built a driver that could compete with the others. After the long line of "meh" drivers that Wilson put out starting with the M3, it was really nice to see such a great performer with so many fitting options brought out. Had it been tossed out at $349, I think it would have made a big dent in the big guys market share - just like the Tour Edge EXS did.

    Anyways, LOVE this break down and thanks for doing it by swing speed. It's completely true that different head and shaft combos work very differently depending on how hard they are swung.

    No flaming from me. I've posted about he Cortex previously. I think it's the best looking driver of 2019 by a large margin. After squiring, I installed an Elements Chrome, and it's been a fantastic driver all season. The sound was the only thing I was still not crazy about, but it was a big improvement over previous Wilson offerings. Would have liked to see more adjustability in the adapter settings, but overall the Cortex has been a great addition. I'm sure it will gain more popularity as the price continues to fall. Unfortunately for Wilson, most feel their product line won't compete price wise, and will have to have a steady drop.

    Posted:
    Titleist 917d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f2 13.5
    Titleist 818h2 17d. 
    Wilson Staff C300 forged 4-pw
    Srixon u65 20d. 
    Scratch 8620 53d. 
    Odyssey White hot Pro

  • RebbuttRebbutt My Paypal: [email protected] OregonMembers  104WRX Points: 37Handicap: 4.6Posts: 104 Fairways
    Joined:  #137

    Psyched out of my mind to compare Ping G410 and Epic Flash at local fitter ... gotta make an appointment and shop the winter sales.
    By the way, anyone know of an online price tracking tool that mines data and tracks trends across multiple websites?

    Posted:
    Woods: Callaway Epic Subzero Custom 9.5* and 17* 4W
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3H 20* (considering Cobra F9, 2 hybrid)
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW, +1/2”, 2* upright 
    Wedges: 52* and 58* Callaway Mack Daddy 4, and a PM Grind 64*
    Flatstick: 2018 Scotty Newport 2.5, 34.5” with Superstroke Pistol GT grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain 5.5 LS black, sterile / no logo
    Buggy: black Caddytek Caddylite EZ V2
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Bluedog54Bluedog54 Members  15WRX Points: 44Posts: 15 Bunkers
    Joined:  #138

    According to Ping, the neutral flat setting will allow 3 degrees flat, going up or down in loft in the flat setting will allow 2 degrees flat...

    On -, @SMUGamer said:

    Titleist does. You can flatten the lie angle by .75* >
    On -, @Bluedog54 said:

    I bought the Ping G410 Plus for the simple reason that the Ping hozzle adjustment allows for a "flat" lie setting... as far as I know, no other manufacturer offers this adjustment.

    Posted:
  • BchpgncBchpgnc Members  4WRX Points: 24Handicap: 10Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #139

    As a 58 year old senior who used to play 6 days a week, and now, after a 20+ year hiatus from golf, I was shocked to see that I had lost 60 yards on my drives. What to do? I bought a new Ping G driver-no big gain in distance but i did feel better consistency.

    Starting three years ago, I could only hit a drive about 200 yards. I started working with a trainer twice a week and 1 day on my own. Since then, i have had a 10% increase year over year: FROM 200 YARDS TO 240 YARDS!
    I do not believe there is anyone out there that will say they can gain 40 yards by changing clubs.

    Use the money wisely and hit the gym!

    Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1398WRX Points: 352Handicap: 15Posts: 1,398 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 24, 2019 #140

    On -, @Bchpgnc said:

    As a 58 year old senior who used to play 6 days a week, and now, after a 20+ year hiatus from golf, I was shocked to see that I had lost 60 yards on my drives. What to do? I bought a new Ping G driver-no big gain in distance but i did feel better consistency.

    Starting three years ago, I could only hit a drive about 200 yards. I started working with a trainer twice a week and 1 day on my own. Since then, i have had a 10% increase year over year: FROM 200 YARDS TO 240 YARDS!
    I do not believe there is anyone out there that will say they can gain 40 yards by changing clubs.

    Use the money wisely and hit the gym!

    Strength building that is associated with a golf swing, and not necessarily bulky muscles, needless to say. I also like the idea of golf lessons.

    Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2558WRX Points: 777Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,558 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #141

    I have gamed the F9 Tour all season and the club is long and forgiving, especially for someone who likes to tee the ball a bit lower. That said, I have got on quite well with the TS2 (longest of the bunch for me, but needs the right shaft for dispersion and consistency) and the G410 Plus (by far the most stable driver I have ever hit).

    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8441WRX Points: 359Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,441 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #142

    I’m still playing my 9.5* Taylor Made M4.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1398WRX Points: 352Handicap: 15Posts: 1,398 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #143

    Is there really a best driver?

    Posted:
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San AntonioMembers  363WRX Points: 235Handicap: 2.4Posts: 363 Greens
    Joined:  #144

    On -, @dan360 said:

    Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g

    405 yd par 4. Straight away, fairway ends at 97 yards from the green, into rough and a pond. Tees set right at the 405 marker.

    Back story. 42, 3x back surgery from motorcycle racing and firefighting accidents, strong, but out of shape. SS with a driver is ~103-105, if I really crank one and not die I can hit 110.

    No wind, hit a dead straight ProV1x that landed on the left center and rolled down to spittin' distance to the left of and dead pin high with the 100 yard marker. 305 yards total. Probably 285 carry based on how the day was going with roll out.

    Could I have done that with any correct head/shaft combo in the last 10 years? Maybe, but I've had more than a few drivers over the years and it hasn't been common that's for sure.

    Plus this one happened just a few months after back surgery #3 so for now, I'll drink the Flavor-Aid and say Callaway, you built a killer.

    I have the same exact combo and I strongly believe a good part of the Epic Flash SZ success is that hzrdus Smoke Shaft. Its insane.

    Posted:

    TaylorMade SIM Driver (set to 7.5 Degrees)
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3-Wood
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons
    Callaway MD5 Jaws 50 Degrees
    Vokey Custom SM8 (56 and 60)
    Scotty Cameron Special Select 2020 Newport 2

  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TNMembers  4523WRX Points: 312Posts: 4,523 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #145

    I hate Callaway drivers. No real reason it’s just always been in my head. If I find equal performance, I look elsewhere. I’m weird like that. I have the PM grind wedges but hate how their drivers look. Go figure.

    Anyway, buddy bought a Epic Flash SZ with Hazrdus spoke 60 gram shaft and I hit it yesterday during the round. I currently hit a 10.5 M3 wity Kura Kage shaft and the Epic was set at 9°. Man, all but 1 were way past what I currently hit with my M3. I refuse to believe it’s the head/shaft as I feel most when properly fit are all about the same and i was fit for my M3 but man..... big differences. Ball flight was lower than I like of course but distance was insane.

    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5*
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, Taylormade Bigfoot Hi-Toe 60*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green) (something new is coming, cant decide.)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X
  • sloswingspeedsloswingspeed Sloswingspeed Members  17WRX Points: 61Posts: 17 Bunkers
    Joined:  #146

    I fit Mizuno.....my human shaft tester......109-111 SS......bombs the Miz ST 190g/old AXIS 75X.....about + 15-20 past his 915....with same shaft[ with Miz adapter now]...... Mizuno ST 190s.....are in a sleeper category.....should not be over looked....

    Posted:
  • dlow206dlow206 Members  354WRX Points: 126Posts: 354 Greens
    Joined:  #147

    I'm liking my new PXG 0811XF Gen. Very forgiving.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3715WRX Points: 667Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,715 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #148

    On -, @rgk5 said:

    As a fitter for the last 15 years, IMO and experience, the lead horses this year are the Cobra F9, Callaway Epic Flash, and the Ping G410.

    I have a 8.5 M4 and am testing a 9.0 M6. Same exact shaft in each (125msi rogue tour s). Same swingweight in each. Play the m4 in upright lie setting and m6 in standard. Compared them on course yesterday...

    My miss with m4 is right. I seem to have a hard time squaring the face. Miss with m6 is left...straight pull. Seem to have a hard time keeping the face open to path.

    M6 was longer by about 12 yards when both were hit well.

    What are your thoughts? Going to try a stiffer shaft in the m6 to help slow face rotation. I'm a .5 and swing driver 108-110.

    Posted:
  • heather471heather471 Members  2WRX Points: 5Posts: 2 Starters
    Joined:  #149

    I have lynx paralex irons from 1 to pitching wedge and sand iron
    Also driver 3&5 woods

    Posted:
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members  3875WRX Points: 465Handicap: 6Posts: 3,875 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #150

    On -, @getitdaily said:

    On -, @rgk5 said:

    As a fitter for the last 15 years, IMO and experience, the lead horses this year are the Cobra F9, Callaway Epic Flash, and the Ping G410.

    I have a 8.5 M4 and am testing a 9.0 M6. Same exact shaft in each (125msi rogue tour s). Same swingweight in each. Play the m4 in upright lie setting and m6 in standard. Compared them on course yesterday...

    My miss with m4 is right. I seem to have a hard time squaring the face. Miss with m6 is left...straight pull. Seem to have a hard time keeping the face open to path.

    M6 was longer by about 12 yards when both were hit well.

    What are your thoughts? Going to try a stiffer shaft in the m6 to help slow face rotation. I'm a .5 and swing driver 108-110.

    What was the actual ball flight? Launch angle and spin?

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 9.5* D, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
       Cobra F8 14.5 * , VA Composites Raijin 44  F2
    Cobra F8+ 18.5* , Tensei Blue A
    Titleist 917 7 wood, 22.75*, Diamana Red A

    TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal 6-pw, "B" heads, 2* up, + 1/2", UST Recoil E460 R
    Cobra MIM 50*, Accra 60i R
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, Accra 90i R
    Ping Eye 2+ SW/LW, 57.5*, Accra 90i R
    Taylor Made TP Red Chaska, 35"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3715WRX Points: 667Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,715 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 30, 2019 #151

    On -, @rgk5 said:

    On -, @getitdaily said:

    On -, @rgk5 said:

    As a fitter for the last 15 years, IMO and experience, the lead horses this year are the Cobra F9, Callaway Epic Flash, and the Ping G410.

    I have a 8.5 M4 and am testing a 9.0 M6. Same exact shaft in each (125msi rogue tour s). Same swingweight in each. Play the m4 in upright lie setting and m6 in standard. Compared them on course yesterday...

    My miss with m4 is right. I seem to have a hard time squaring the face. Miss with m6 is left...straight pull. Seem to have a hard time keeping the face open to path.

    M6 was longer by about 12 yards when both were hit well.

    What are your thoughts? Going to try a stiffer shaft in the m6 to help slow face rotation. I'm a .5 and swing driver 108-110.

    What was the actual ball flight? Launch angle and spin?

    M6 was launching a bit lower than m4. M6 was spinning less than m4.

    When I was fit for the m4 I was launching 13-14 with spin between 2100 and 2300. I've only done a small test of the m6 on launch monitors. Bought it blind to try when I started losing the m4 right.

    I know the m4 is launching higher and spinning higher than when I was fit. I've gotten into a bit of a steepening move (transition has crept fast) on the way down.

    Posted:
7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.