GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

Best driver .............ever

Comments

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3706WRX Points: 704Posts: 3,706 Titanium Tees

what makes a person the best driver ...ever?
    hitting it long and fairways mostly?
    Or keeping it in play to have a shot at a second shot even if it means being in the rough? Noman didn't think Nicklaus was such a great driver of the ball, but Nicklaus probably managed his driver misses better than most. It's a tough one to answer... could be a short knocker who was always in the fairway...

Posted:
    SIM 10.5 Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jmcf1949jmcf1949 Members  91WRX Points: 71Posts: 91 Fairways

Jack drove the ball roughly 363 in a practice round of the NCAA Championships in 1959 or 1960 at the University of Michigan Golf Course. The hole plays downhill with a pond fronting the green so he didn't use driver for the event. He used his three wood.

Posted:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

Jack drove the ball roughly 363 in a practice round of the NCAA Championships in 1959 or 1960 at the University of Michigan Golf Course. The hole plays downhill with a pond fronting the green so he didn't use driver for the event. He used his three wood.

so 210 carry and the rest roll?

Posted:
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*

• Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members  185WRX Points: 76Handicap: 1Posts: 185 Fairways

On -, @Night train said:

I never got to see Hogan and very little of Sam Sneed. Jack was a very impressive driver of the ball in his prime...........dominant is the word that comes to mind, he had a reserve that was incredible. I thought Greg Norman was incredible with the driver.................I think Rory has taken it up another notch, watching him hit driver is simply a display of grace, power and accuracy the game has never seen. His game has weak spots...........the driver isn't one of them!

I didn't see Hogan or Snead live, but I feel like from everything I've seen of them they were both better know for their irons than their driving ability. I like Mcilroy and his swing, but I feel like he hits a lot more wayward drives into bad spots in rough and on wrong sides (as demonstrated in the first round on this year's BMW PGA in Europe). Norman would have the occasional block (like in the 86 Masters), but I feel like he was a better combination of distance and accuracy. Both Norman and Rory have impressed their peers with the way their ball sounds when it's hit, and how well they can play when they're on. I remember stories about Vjay talking about how the ball sounded like it was coming out of a cannon when he heard Norman hit the ball for the first time in person. I also remember the talk by Norman's playing partners during his 1993 British Open Championship win, and 1994 Players Championship. I wish there was still footage of Norman's entire Player's Championship victory. I saw the clip of Marice Alan (long drive world champion) reacting to seeing Mcilroy play live. When you can impress the types of golfers Norman and Rory have impressed that says something about their skills.

Posted:
    Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter

• bopper53bopper53 Members  603WRX Points: 101Posts: 603 Golden Tee

Greg Norman and 2nd place is very distant.

Posted:
    Ping G 410, 10.5, Tensi Blue
    Ping G410, 3 Wood  Tensi Orange
    Ping G410, 5 wood, Tensi Orange 
    Ping G410 Hybrid 20
    Ping G410, 6-GW, Awt 2.0
    Ping Tyne , flow neck
    Ping 3.0  Wedges, 56 / 58 DG AWT Wedge shafts
  • Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members  185WRX Points: 76Handicap: 1Posts: 185 Fairways

On -, @lowheel said:

That video was before he rebuilt his swing with Butch Harmon. I believe his 90's swing was much superior to the one in the video.

Posted:
    Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter

Advertisement
  • CattyCatty AustraliaMembers  109WRX Points: 82Handicap: 6.3Posts: 109 Fairways

I’ll 100th vote Norman. Loved his swing. His putting technique annoyed me but who cares about that in a driving thread.

Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist D905
    Titleist Tour Model 2 thru PW
    Titleist Vokey 52, 56
    Odessey
    [/font]
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members  2677WRX Points: 312Posts: 2,677 Titanium Tees

Not the best driver ever, but the best driver performance in a major I ever saw was Angel Cabrera at Oakmont.

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13157WRX Points: 4,229Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,157 Titanium Tees

On -, @caniac6 said:

Richard Petty

ROTFLMAO!!!---- Probably a lot on here do not know who he is much less how many races he won--- Gotta agree if you go off of wins he is the one

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4662WRX Points: 1,670Posts: 4,662 Titanium Tees

On -, @Yuck said:

Not the best driver ever, but the best driver performance in a major I ever saw was Angel Cabrera at Oakmont.

Cabrera hit 48% of his fairways at Oakmont in 2007 and was T48 in driving accuracy. 27 of 56 fairways. 9 of 28 in the final 2 rounds.

Posted:
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6789WRX Points: 1,892Posts: 6,789 Titanium Tees

On -, @Yuck said:

that drive on the 18th was such a message to the course and field. 355 down the middle

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

Carried roughly 315 or so.

Posted:

On -, @LICC said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

It’s incredible how some people here just can’t accept that Jack hit the ball massive distances in his day.

so he only got 48 yards of roll down hill?

he was very long...but there is also a lot of exaggeration on his prowess. Like Jack said himself., he never missed a 4 footer..i've seen him miss shorter than that

Posted:
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*

• tideridertiderider Members  3123WRX Points: 2,148Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,123 Titanium Tees

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @LICC said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

It’s incredible how some people here just can’t accept that Jack hit the ball massive distances in his day.

he was very long...but there is also a lot of exaggeration on his prowess. Like Jack said himself., he never missed a 4 footer..i've seen him miss shorter than that

very rarely when it counted ...

Posted:
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members  3728WRX Points: 1,157Posts: 3,728 Titanium Tees

On -, @tiderider said:

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @LICC said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

very rarely when it counted ...

Which putts didn’t count? Was there a gimme rule in the 1960s?

Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8489WRX Points: 1,410Posts: 8,489 Titanium Tees

On -, @Golf Scientist said:

On -, @Night train said:

I never got to see Hogan and very little of Sam Sneed. Jack was a very impressive driver of the ball in his prime...........dominant is the word that comes to mind, he had a reserve that was incredible. I thought Greg Norman was incredible with the driver.................I think Rory has taken it up another notch, watching him hit driver is simply a display of grace, power and accuracy the game has never seen. His game has weak spots...........the driver isn't one of them!

I didn't see Hogan or Snead live, but I feel like from everything I've seen of them they were both better know for their irons than their driving ability. I like Mcilroy and his swing, but I feel like he hits a lot more wayward drives into bad spots in rough and on wrong sides (as demonstrated in the first round on this year's BMW PGA in Europe). Norman would have the occasional block (like in the 86 Masters), but I feel like he was a better combination of distance and accuracy. Both Norman and Rory have impressed their peers with the way their ball sounds when it's hit, and how well they can play when they're on. I remember stories about Vjay talking about how the ball sounded like it was coming out of a cannon when he heard Norman hit the ball for the first time in person. I also remember the talk by Norman's playing partners during his 1993 British Open Championship win, and 1994 Players Championship. I wish there was still footage of Norman's entire Player's Championship victory. I saw the clip of Marice Alan (long drive world champion) reacting to seeing Mcilroy play live. When you can impress the types of golfers Norman and Rory have impressed that says something about their skills.

Samuel Jackson Snead was a very fine driver of the ball, perhaps one of, if not the best, ever. He often played his brassie (2-wood) for position in the fairway.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Advertisement

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @LICC said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

On -, @Man_O_War said:

On -, @jmcf1949 said:

I'm going by my estimation, I was there with my older brother. Remember back then the fairways weren't nearly as firm and fast as those on tour today.

Posted:
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers  2050WRX Points: 445Handicap: 15.3Posts: 2,050 Platinum Tees

The best driver right now is clearly Lewis Hamilton

I'll show myself out now

Posted:

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* and 56* Wilson Staff
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX  1684WRX Points: 1,242Handicap: +54Posts: 1,684 ClubWRX

It’s jack, Johnny Miller or weiskopf...

i am intransigent on this....Norman 4th

trevino if I want fairways but he hit it pretty low...which is necessary at Tennison where he cut his teeth...

-Chris

Posted:
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1705WRX Points: 968Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,705 Platinum Tees

So what was Jack's SS? Isn't this something we can deduce based on performance characteristics of the clubs from his era and find his SS based on 340-360 yard drives with high spin?

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13955WRX Points: 2,765Handicap: 3.1Posts: 13,955 Titanium Tees

Byron Nelson ?

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65.06 
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Kiyoshi Prp 65.05
    Ping G400 5w 16.9* Matrix Masters 7Q3 x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12622WRX Points: 1,624Handicap: 3.8Posts: 12,622 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6789WRX Points: 1,892Posts: 6,789 Titanium Tees

I remember reading somewhere carl welty theorizing after slowing down film frame rates it was in line with the big hitters he was famous for filming ( norman, couples, love et al. ) just like a brooks or dj today 120+ 125 when he needed it on a par 5.

Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1705WRX Points: 968Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,705 Platinum Tees

That's about what I would expect, would be tough to get 350+ unless it's downhill, down wind, at elevation with a balata at 125 SS, wouldn't it? (I really don't know, those were before my time)

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers  3036WRX Points: 610Handicap: 11Posts: 3,036 Titanium Tees

Nicklaus in 1970 driving through the green at the 18th. 354 yards downwind but uphill:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pPicaKToelM

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5880WRX Points: 1,450Posts: 5,880 Titanium Tees

I dont think there's much doubt about his top-end speed. Certainly not super-human, but definitely would be one of the very fastest swingers in the current game with modern equipment for sure.

IMO, the thing that made him such a great driver was that he had tremendous control and could place the ball as needed with a combo of distance (when required) and accuracy as well as anyone, using strategy to dissect the course like a chess game. Bomb & gouge didn't really exist in that era as the ball and equipment didnt lend itself to that style. Jack did what he had to do, with what he had to do it with, better than anyone ever has with the big stick.

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.