2019 Cambia Portland Classic Aug 29 - Sep 01

Argonne69

**Race to the CME Globe:** 500 Points

**Format:** 72 holes

**Purse:** $1,300,000

**Par:** 72

**Yardage:** 6,476

**History:** This is the 48th year for the event. In 2018, Marina Alex shot a final round 65, erasing a six-stroke deficit, and captured her first LPGA victory. The 28-year-old New Jersey native carded eight birdies on Sunday, and despite a closing bogey, finished four strokes clear of 54-hole leader Georgia Hall.

**Coverage:**

Aug 29: The Golf Channel 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm (ET)

Aug 30: The Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (ET)

Aug 31: The Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (ET)

Sep 01: The Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (ET)

![](https://www.lpga.com/-/media/images/lpga/tournaments/cambia-portland-classic/overview-page-images/pairings-guide-course-map-portland-classic.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @18majors said:

> Will Yealimi Noh repeat what Brooke did in 2015 winning Cambia to earn her card? unlikely!

> Yealimi is no Brooke yet; and competition is so much tougher than 4 years ago.

> But , hope springs eternal!

Brooke wasn't quite Brooke yet in 2015. Yealimi was in contention at Thornberry Creek, but of course the field strength was much lower than here in Portland.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Will Yealimi Noh repeat what Brooke did in 2015 winning Cambia to earn her card? unlikely!

> > Yealimi is no Brooke yet; and competition is so much tougher than 4 years ago.

> > But , hope springs eternal!

>

> Brooke wasn't quite Brooke yet in 2015. Yealimi was in contention at Thornberry Creek, but of course the field strength was much lower than here in Portland.

It also depends on the conditions, they seem to like this track to play firm and fast if they can. They can get the greens here to be among the slickest on the LPGA.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Will Yealimi Noh repeat what Brooke did in 2015 winning Cambia to earn her card? unlikely!

> > Yealimi is no Brooke yet; and competition is so much tougher than 4 years ago.

> > But , hope springs eternal!

>

> Brooke wasn't quite Brooke yet in 2015. Yealimi was in contention at Thornberry Creek, but of course the field strength was much lower than here in Portland.

Let me clarify; Yealimi hasn't accomplished as much on pro tours as Brooke's accomplished four years ago this time.

What's going for Yealimi is her length; she can always catch lightning in a bottle.

> @Argonne69 said:

> The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

>

> Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

>

> It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

>

The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

> @Stooch said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

> >

> > Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

> >

> > It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

> >

> The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

>

When players went -26; they usually had incredible putting stat.

Not Jin Young Ko, she had 114 putts; her ball striking set her apart.

Ball striking is less likely to change from week to week.

> @18majors said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

> > >

> > > Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

> > >

> > > It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

> > >

> > The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

> >

>

> When players went -26; they usually had incredible putting stat.

> Not Jin Young Ko, she had 114 putts; her ball striking set her apart.

> Ball striking is less likely to change from week to week.

>

Her ball striking was indeed extraordinary as she hit 45 of 56 fairways and 65 of 72 greens.

But I'm not sure that you can't say her putting stats weren't also pretty incredible. Despite hitting more greens than anyone else, she had less putts than anyone else and one putted 30 of 72 holes. That sounds pretty incredible to me.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

> > > >

> > > > Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

> > > >

> > > > It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

> > > >

> > > The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

> > >

> >

> > When players went -26; they usually had incredible putting stat.

> > Not Jin Young Ko, she had 114 putts; her ball striking set her apart.

> > Ball striking is less likely to change from week to week.

> >

>

> Her ball striking was indeed extraordinary as she hit 45 of 56 fairways and 65 of 72 greens.

>

> But I'm not sure that you can't say her putting stats weren't also pretty incredible. Despite hitting more greens than anyone else, she had less putts than anyone else and one putted 30 of 72 holes. That sounds pretty incredible to me.

of course, everything has to be great to shoot -26.

There aren't many scores of -26 in either LPGA or PGA.

[https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281")

The "Rose City Rumble" happens tonight! ? @angelyinlol and @Annevandam tee it up at 5:30 pm PT in a long drive contest at the @PortlandClassic!

Follow @lpgaprospect social media for live coverage of the event! ??

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

> > > >

> > > > Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

> > > >

> > > > It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

> > > >

> > > The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

> > >

> >

> > When players went -26; they usually had incredible putting stat.

> > Not Jin Young Ko, she had 114 putts; her ball striking set her apart.

> > Ball striking is less likely to change from week to week.

> >

>

> Her ball striking was indeed extraordinary as she hit 45 of 56 fairways and 65 of 72 greens.

>

> But I'm not sure that you can't say her putting stats weren't also pretty incredible. Despite hitting more greens than anyone else, she had less putts than anyone else and one putted 30 of 72 holes. That sounds pretty incredible to me.

Not really - when you consider proximity to hole. It was just one great birdie shot after another. She putted very well, but not extraordinary.

That's the basic problem of not having ShotLink data. Without proximity to the hole, and with it strokes gained putting, one can't conclude if it was an iron clinic, or a putting clinic. My gut tells me it was a lot of both.

> @"Raving Shanker" said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

> > > > >

> > > > > Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

> > > > >

> > > > The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

> > > >

> > >

> > > When players went -26; they usually had incredible putting stat.

> > > Not Jin Young Ko, she had 114 putts; her ball striking set her apart.

> > > Ball striking is less likely to change from week to week.

> > >

> >

> > Her ball striking was indeed extraordinary as she hit 45 of 56 fairways and 65 of 72 greens.

> >

> > But I'm not sure that you can't say her putting stats weren't also pretty incredible. Despite hitting more greens than anyone else, she had less putts than anyone else and one putted 30 of 72 holes. That sounds pretty incredible to me.

>

> Not really - when you consider proximity to hole. It was just one great birdie shot after another. She putted very well, but not extraordinary.

Do we have any stats that tell us her proximity to the hole? Without that, you can't say for sure that she didn't putt extraordinary. Like Argonne alluded to in the above post, it's probably safe to say all parts of her game were clicking on all cylinders.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @"Raving Shanker" said:

> > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > The last tournament before a 4 week break for the Solheim Cup. It looks like a fairly decent field with 8 players in the World's Top 20 sitting out (Minjee, Inbee, Nelly, So Yeon, Danielle, Hyo Joo, Lizette, and Shanshan).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Coverage is decent with 13 total hours in prime time. There's a chance of rain on Thursday, but otherwise it looks like it's going to be great weather.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's hard not to pick Brooke this week. She won this event in 2015 and 2016, and bounced back from a mediocre showing at the WBO with a 3T last week. While Stacy has missed her last two cuts, she seems to play well here. I also don't think we can rule out Jin Young winning back to back. **Brooke and Jin Young in the final group on Sunday again?**

> > > > > >

> > > > > The sportbooks seem to think so, they have Jin Young at 4-1 and Brooke at 7-1. That's pretty low, no way I'm betting either of the 2 lol

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > When players went -26; they usually had incredible putting stat.

> > > > Not Jin Young Ko, she had 114 putts; her ball striking set her apart.

> > > > Ball striking is less likely to change from week to week.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Her ball striking was indeed extraordinary as she hit 45 of 56 fairways and 65 of 72 greens.

> > >

> > > But I'm not sure that you can't say her putting stats weren't also pretty incredible. Despite hitting more greens than anyone else, she had less putts than anyone else and one putted 30 of 72 holes. That sounds pretty incredible to me.

> >

> > Not really - when you consider proximity to hole. It was just one great birdie shot after another. She putted very well, but not extraordinary.

>

> Do we have any stats that tell us her proximity to the hole? Without that, you can't say for sure that she didn't putt extraordinary. Like Argonne alluded to in the above post, it's probably safe to say all parts of her game were clicking on all cylinders.

It is definitely safe to say that every part of her game is now very good to great - including the mental and strategic parts. But I believe all it hinges around the proximity to hole she achieves with her irons. It just takes the pressure off both her putting and driving. I can't see the putting as extraordinary when there were so many putts under 20 foot, and usually not much to negotiate in terms of breaks, and multiple-levels to putt over, etc. Every putt seems to be a dead set chance to have a run at the hole. Anybody, given opportunities like that, hole after hole, is going to get super confident and just give every one of them a good shot. At the other end, she is not super long, but under zero pressure to increase her distance with the irons going so well.

Anyone else feel like the LPGA courses have fewer really long par 4s (say 440 or equivalent to about 500 yards for the PGA tour) but more par 3s that are hitting a long iron equivalent vs. the PGA tour? I definitely feel like the par 4s are not as long (even last week some of the tees seemed to be moved up on the longer par 4s vs. the listed yardage for the blend of tee boxes it looked like they were playing) but I'm not sure on the par 3s (the par 3s this week are not too bad). It doesn't really matter much but I've wondered whether this is because it's much harder for the ladies to get it on the green if they are in the rough on a long par 4. The guys can still pretty much hack a mid-iron up there somewhere.

I will not be picking Juli, Stacy or Morgan to win, in fact I say 2 of them miss the cut.

Instead I will be picking Carlota, of course IF she makes the final group come Sunday I'm doomed lol.

I look for Chella, Lexi,Su and 6ix to mix it up a bit. Longshotting it with a Swede winning (no one in particular) Go Louise!

> @agolf1 said:

> Anyone else feel like the LPGA courses have fewer really long par 4s (say 440 or equivalent to about 500 yards for the PGA tour) but more par 3s that are hitting a long iron equivalent vs. the PGA tour? I definitely feel like the par 4s are not as long (even last week some of the tees seemed to be moved up on the longer par 4s vs. the listed yardage for the blend of tee boxes it looked like they were playing) but I'm not sure on the par 3s (the par 3s this week are not too bad). It doesn't really matter much but I've wondered whether this is because it's much harder for the ladies to get it on the green if they are in the rough on a long par 4. The guys can still pretty much hack a mid-iron up there somewhere.

Outside a couple of the majors, and the 2016 Olympic course, we just don't see 420+ yd par 4's. Is it really any different with the men? When have we seen a par 4 require a driver and long iron? They play many par 5's that are generally reachable with driver/iron.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Anyone else feel like the LPGA courses have fewer really long par 4s (say 440 or equivalent to about 500 yards for the PGA tour) but more par 3s that are hitting a long iron equivalent vs. the PGA tour? I definitely feel like the par 4s are not as long (even last week some of the tees seemed to be moved up on the longer par 4s vs. the listed yardage for the blend of tee boxes it looked like they were playing) but I'm not sure on the par 3s (the par 3s this week are not too bad). It doesn't really matter much but I've wondered whether this is because it's much harder for the ladies to get it on the green if they are in the rough on a long par 4. The guys can still pretty much hack a mid-iron up there somewhere.

>

> Outside a couple of the majors, and the 2016 Olympic course, we just don't see 420+ yd par 4's. Is it really any different with the men? When have we seen a par 4 require a driver and long iron? They play many par 5's that are generally reachable with driver/iron.

Maybe the men's US Open and PGA are dominating my memory but I think there are 500 yard 4s on other courses. Which based on driving distance is about equal to 440 on the LPGA (which never seems to happen). The second shot is still going to be a mid-iron for both with a good drive. The question wasn't needing to hit a long iron on a long par 4 - it was more just the comparative distance of the long 4s.

Sometimes I feel like the women face more really long 3s but I am not as sure on this one.

Edit:. I looked at a few normal stops and 480 something seems more common so I am probably recalling the majors when thinking 500 yards

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Anyone else feel like the LPGA courses have fewer really long par 4s (say 440 or equivalent to about 500 yards for the PGA tour) but more par 3s that are hitting a long iron equivalent vs. the PGA tour? I definitely feel like the par 4s are not as long (even last week some of the tees seemed to be moved up on the longer par 4s vs. the listed yardage for the blend of tee boxes it looked like they were playing) but I'm not sure on the par 3s (the par 3s this week are not too bad). It doesn't really matter much but I've wondered whether this is because it's much harder for the ladies to get it on the green if they are in the rough on a long par 4. The guys can still pretty much hack a mid-iron up there somewhere.

>

> Outside a couple of the majors, and the 2016 Olympic course, we just don't see 420+ yd par 4's. Is it really any different with the men? When have we seen a par 4 require a driver and long iron? They play many par 5's that are generally reachable with driver/iron.

it feels like every other week there is a converted par 5 to 4 and a drivable par 4 now on the pga.

> @Tasals said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > Anyone else feel like the LPGA courses have fewer really long par 4s (say 440 or equivalent to about 500 yards for the PGA tour) but more par 3s that are hitting a long iron equivalent vs. the PGA tour? I definitely feel like the par 4s are not as long (even last week some of the tees seemed to be moved up on the longer par 4s vs. the listed yardage for the blend of tee boxes it looked like they were playing) but I'm not sure on the par 3s (the par 3s this week are not too bad). It doesn't really matter much but I've wondered whether this is because it's much harder for the ladies to get it on the green if they are in the rough on a long par 4. The guys can still pretty much hack a mid-iron up there somewhere.

> >

> > Outside a couple of the majors, and the 2016 Olympic course, we just don't see 420+ yd par 4's. Is it really any different with the men? When have we seen a par 4 require a driver and long iron? They play many par 5's that are generally reachable with driver/iron.

>

> it feels like every other week there is a converted par 5 to 4 and a drivable par 4 now on the pga.

I don't know the every day courses well enough on the converted 5s to 4s. It's obviously done a lot in the majors (may guess is there's no room to stretch it past ~550 or with the US Open trying to protect par).

Overall, the LPGA courses have typically been a bit longer vs. driving distance than the PGA courses, so I'm not trying to say the women are playing easier (at least easier just with regards to length) setups. It was really just a question of the long 4s vs. the long 3s.

I think it's also been shown that length itself isn't much of a constraint for the players on either tour. Rough, wind, and rock hard greens are going to do more to scores than just tacking on 20 yards to each hole.

It might be a bit misleading because so few of the men play hybrids. A long par 4 for the women usually means the majority of the players are hitting a 4h, whereas the men seem to be hitting 4i on the 240 yd holes.

> @18majors said:

> [https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281")

> The "Rose City Rumble" happens tonight! ? @angelyinlol and @Annevandam tee it up at 5:30 pm PT in a long drive contest at the @PortlandClassic!

> Follow @lpgaprospect social media for live coverage of the event! ??

And the winner is......Anne Van Dam!

https://golfweek.com/2019/08/28/golf-anne-van-dam-angel-yin-long-drive-contest/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > [https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281")

> > The "Rose City Rumble" happens tonight! ? @angelyinlol and @Annevandam tee it up at 5:30 pm PT in a long drive contest at the @PortlandClassic!

> > Follow @lpgaprospect social media for live coverage of the event! ??

> And the winner is......Anne Van Dam!

> https://golfweek.com/2019/08/28/golf-anne-van-dam-angel-yin-long-drive-contest/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

Queue the 'Can a 4 Handicapper Outdrive the Longest LPGA Player' thread in 3, 2, 1........

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > [https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1166387229880545281")

> > > The "Rose City Rumble" happens tonight! ? @angelyinlol and @Annevandam tee it up at 5:30 pm PT in a long drive contest at the @PortlandClassic!

> > > Follow @lpgaprospect social media for live coverage of the event! ??

> > And the winner is......Anne Van Dam!

> > https://golfweek.com/2019/08/28/golf-anne-van-dam-angel-yin-long-drive-contest/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

>

> Queue the 'Can a 4 Handicapper Outdrive the Longest LPGA Player' thread in 3, 2, 1........

Well, I'm a 2x4 handicapper and I can take either one. Of course, that's if I get to add my driver and pw together.

[https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1167079070133366784](https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1167079070133366784 "https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1167079070133366784")

Scattered showers are possible through much of the day with chances diminishing later this afternoon. A few embedded thunderstorms are possible. Temps will be much cooler with afternoon high in low 80s with west winds 6-12 mph