Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

38 year old looking for ideal 3-4 month winter golf destination

I work from home up in Michigan, I have no responsibilities outside of getting my handicap down from the 3.5 I am now, and am looking to make golf season last longer! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places that might be worth looking into. And not necessarily just cities, but might there be a course in Arizona somewhere that offers decent monthly dues?

I know there are a ton of retirement/snowbird places but I am hoping for something reasonable where its less than 80% retirees. I'm sure Scottsdale is a good option or south Florida somewhere but thought I would ask this community for any general or specific advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 29, 2019 8:35pm #2

It might not meet your qualifications in terms of demographics (retirees) but Palm Desert or Palm Springs are worth considering. Just a beautiful area November through March and 100+ golf courses.

Edit: Also Las Vegas if you want a younger/night club type environment. . . you could stay off the strip in Summerlin and go to the Strip when you need entertainment.

Post edited by straightshot7 on
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you looking for? If you're willing to deal with a few days of relatively bad weather, I'm sure there are dozens of courses in southern Virginia, Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, etc., that would give you some sort of 4 month membership. If you wanted to go to Alabama, the RTJ Trail does a range membership, it's $475 for the entire year for unlimited balls...you could surely get value out of that over the course of 4 months. Plus, when I had that pass/membership, it included unlimited use of the par 3 course, though it's not apparent if it still does. Those courses have incredible practice areas, especially for the cost.

• Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 29, 2019 7:15pm #4

I'm in central Florida (Melbourne-Orlando Area), too many good options that offer just winter fees to list depending on what exactly you want. Also you have the Orlando night scene which is a younger, and weekend trip to the west coast for golf are always a possibility.

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pinehurst. I don't think you can find the amount and caliber of courses elsewhere in the country, in that small of an area, as there. The weather may deter you however. There will be days in winter when you cannot play though, but they should be rare.

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What’s wrong with retirees. Some can really play and usually tell great stories. It’s all I mostly play with. Wait I am one.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How warm do you want your golf days to be?

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come to LA.. Jammed packed with courses in SoCal and Palm Springs, vegas, and San Diego is really drivable with tons of courses there too.

• mattmatt300mattmatt300 Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Orlando would be my choice. You could cover a huge number of courses within a reasonable distance if you got tired of the courses right in and around town.

• Sam3000Sam3000 Members Posts: 3

Thanks a lot everyone! I am not anti-old people or anything but I already go to bed around 9:30pm so I need to stay young :)
    I am not exactly a weather snob so as long as it's 50+ I am all good. I just love the game and want to play as much as possible without going broke! I enjoy practice too so getting some sort of range membership sounds perfect.

Palm Desert/Springs is awesome it just seems like all those courses are too expensive to play 20-40 rounds at. Really love that area though!

I do have family in Durham, but the NC winter doesn't seem worth it. I definitely visit a lot in April.

I'll have to look closer at Vegas too. Hadn't thought of that but there must be reasonably priced golf somewhere around there.

Thanks again and keep em comin!

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to suggest Monterey CA.

Specifically, look at the pricing on memberships at Bayonet/Blackhorse. Use those as your home course and play all of the other great courses in the area.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 30, 2019 2:53am #12

If i were a guy in a fantastic position as yourself OP. Id try to complete as much of the Robert Trent Jones trail as i could. Not sure what your budget is though it being off season it might not be too bad price wise. Might want to double check that before heading down if you did. If you got bored with that (not sure how you could) there are TONS of options down here in the south.

• alfridayalfriday Members Posts: 494 ✭✭✭✭

Indian Bayou in Destin Florida has a January-March membership for around $800. It includes range balls and a short game practice area. Nice course, not too busy in the winter, and Destin is great in the winter--it's the off season so the restaurants and bars aren't crowded but still open. Long term rentals are reasonable that time of year.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sam3000 said:
    Thanks a lot everyone! I am not anti-old people or anything but I already go to bed around 9:30pm so I need to stay young :)
    I am not exactly a weather snob so as long as it's 50+ I **am all good. I **just love the game and want to play as much as possible without going broke! I enjoy practice too so getting some sort of range membership sounds perfect.

Palm Desert/Springs is awesome it just seems like all those courses are too expensive to play 20-40 rounds at. Really love that area though!

I do have family in Durham, but the NC winter doesn't seem worth it. I definitely visit a lot in April.

I'll have to look closer at Vegas too. Hadn't thought of that but there must be reasonably priced golf somewhere around there.

Thanks again and keep em comin!

does not compute ... 50+ rules out the South ... i play if the course is open, so that's 33 or above ...

• ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭

If you go to the nicest warmest places, like AZ + FL, that are in season for winter tourists, you will find high rates and crowds, seniors or not.
    Myrtle Beach has a "snowbird Passport" that offers good 48 hour rates at a lot of courses. Weather is up and down, but if you want it warm the entire time, see sentence #1.

I don't think it's much fun to play the same course or two the entire time, but you could do that. In MB, courses that offer monthly memberships are usually among the lowest rated courses.

• BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

San Antonio Texas. Cheap housing, lots of real good public golf, good winter weather. Likely to be 60 degrees or higher 90 per cent of the time.

Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • Saluki91Saluki91 Members Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what "reasonable" means to you. $20 per round? $40 per round? $60 per round?

As for getting the most for your $, I think you will have considerably more playable days in places like PHX or Tuscon than coastal /southern Florida. Consider high winds vs. an occasional chilly 40* morning.

A wildcard choice might be the Emerald Coast. Winter is the off-season there, so golf is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. It isn't a metropolis by any means, but the military has a big presence there, so finding people your age to socialize with won't be that difficult. You will have some cool/wet days, but not many... might be worth the compromise for quality and quantity of affordable golf.

Good Luck!

TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M4 3HL on Atmos
    Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
    Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
    Mizuno T7 on NS Pro (51*, 56*, 62*)
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
    2019 Srixon Z Star
  • J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BMC said:
    San Antonio Texas. Cheap housing, lots of real good public golf, good winter weather. Likely to be 60 degrees or higher 90 per cent of the time.

Can’t beat the breadth and depth of SA public golf. Weather in winter is mostly very nice.

What's in my bag:
    Cobra F9 Avalance 9* w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6X 45"
    Cobra F9 Tour 3W w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 7X 42.5"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Beech MountainMembers Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭

I would consider St. George, UT. Average temperatures during the Winter hit that 50* mark with low humidity and very little precipitation. House rentals are reasonable that time of year, although it helps to reserve in advance and golf is affordable. My wife and I are spending a month there this coming Winter and excited about all the activities and parks around the area for those days when golf isn't on the schedule.

• T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hilton Head SC. Averages 60+ in Dec and Jan and we have some awesome golf in the area with outstanding practice facilities.
    I would also mention San Antonio. My sister lives there and I will go there in the winter to play some golf with y brother in law. They come here too in the winters and it's a close call for the best golf/weather between the two areas.

• wagsgtwagsgt Members Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Florida,AZ, Palm Springs.. NC,SC,etc still get cold. If it was me id go warm as possible

• FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 17, 2019 6:33pm #22

@Sam3000 said:
    I work from home up in Michigan, I have no responsibilities outside of getting my handicap down from the 3.5 I am now, and am looking to make golf season last longer! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places that might be worth looking into. And not necessarily just cities, but might there be a course in Arizona somewhere that offers decent monthly dues?

I know there are a ton of retirement/snowbird places but I am hoping for something reasonable where its less than 80% retirees. I'm sure Scottsdale is a good option or south Florida somewhere but thought I would ask this community for any general or specific advice.

Thanks!

Goto southern Scotland or southern England. Weather is like Michigan fall golf all winter. Cheap cost of living if you go to the right place and very cheap golf memberships. Definitely not warm like Arizona but if that's not your main concern its worth considering. Don't need a visa unless your there more than 6 months.

Post edited by FairwayFred on
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • noahweinnoahwein Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Melbourne, Australia ... especially mornington peninsula...is what you're looking for imo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file