GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

38 year old looking for ideal 3-4 month winter golf destination

Sam3000 ·  
Sam3000Sam3000 Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

I work from home up in Michigan, I have no responsibilities outside of getting my handicap down from the 3.5 I am now, and am looking to make golf season last longer! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places that might be worth looking into. And not necessarily just cities, but might there be a course in Arizona somewhere that offers decent monthly dues?

I know there are a ton of retirement/snowbird places but I am hoping for something reasonable where its less than 80% retirees. I'm sure Scottsdale is a good option or south Florida somewhere but thought I would ask this community for any general or specific advice.

Thanks!

Posted:

Comments

• straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3690WRX Points: 1,214Posts: 3,690 Titanium Tees

It might not meet your qualifications in terms of demographics (retirees) but Palm Desert or Palm Springs are worth considering. Just a beautiful area November through March and 100+ golf courses.

Edit: Also Las Vegas if you want a younger/night club type environment. . . you could stay off the strip in Summerlin and go to the Strip when you need entertainment.

Posted:
    Post edited by straightshot7 on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members  536WRX Points: 110Handicap: 2Posts: 536 Golden Tee

What are you looking for? If you're willing to deal with a few days of relatively bad weather, I'm sure there are dozens of courses in southern Virginia, Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, etc., that would give you some sort of 4 month membership. If you wanted to go to Alabama, the RTJ Trail does a range membership, it's $475 for the entire year for unlimited balls...you could surely get value out of that over the course of 4 months. Plus, when I had that pass/membership, it included unlimited use of the par 3 course, though it's not apparent if it still does. Those courses have incredible practice areas, especially for the cost.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  533WRX Points: 316Handicap: 19Posts: 533 Golden Tee

I'm in central Florida (Melbourne-Orlando Area), too many good options that offer just winter fees to list depending on what exactly you want. Also you have the Orlando night scene which is a younger, and weekend trip to the west coast for golf are always a possibility.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2645WRX Points: 1,044Posts: 2,645 Titanium Tees

Pinehurst. I don't think you can find the amount and caliber of courses elsewhere in the country, in that small of an area, as there. The weather may deter you however. There will be days in winter when you cannot play though, but they should be rare.

Posted:
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members  1813WRX Points: 364Posts: 1,813 Platinum Tees

What’s wrong with retirees. Some can really play and usually tell great stories. It’s all I mostly play with. Wait I am one.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14064WRX Points: 2,879Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,064 Titanium Tees

How warm do you want your golf days to be?

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

Advertisement
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1533WRX Points: 947Handicap: 14.2Posts: 1,533 Platinum Tees

Come to LA.. Jammed packed with courses in SoCal and Palm Springs, vegas, and San Diego is really drivable with tons of courses there too.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                   HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood         whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                             Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 54.14F                          DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 58.12D                         DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5   34" loft 6.5                          SS Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 CC
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Titleist Player                                   glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • mattmatt300mattmatt300 Members  86WRX Points: 127Posts: 86 Fairways

Orlando would be my choice. You could cover a huge number of courses within a reasonable distance if you got tired of the courses right in and around town.

Posted:
  • Sam3000Sam3000 Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

Thanks a lot everyone! I am not anti-old people or anything but I already go to bed around 9:30pm so I need to stay young :)
    I am not exactly a weather snob so as long as it's 50+ I am all good. I just love the game and want to play as much as possible without going broke! I enjoy practice too so getting some sort of range membership sounds perfect.

Palm Desert/Springs is awesome it just seems like all those courses are too expensive to play 20-40 rounds at. Really love that area though!

I do have family in Durham, but the NC winter doesn't seem worth it. I definitely visit a lot in April.

I'll have to look closer at Vegas too. Hadn't thought of that but there must be reasonably priced golf somewhere around there.

Thanks again and keep em comin!

Posted:
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1722WRX Points: 983Posts: 1,722 Platinum Tees

I'm going to suggest Monterey CA.

Specifically, look at the pricing on memberships at Bayonet/Blackhorse. Use those as your home course and play all of the other great courses in the area.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers  427WRX Points: 175Handicap: ManyPosts: 427 Greens

If i were a guy in a fantastic position as yourself OP. Id try to complete as much of the Robert Trent Jones trail as i could. Not sure what your budget is though it being off season it might not be too bad price wise. Might want to double check that before heading down if you did. If you got bored with that (not sure how you could) there are TONS of options down here in the south.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • alfridayalfriday Members  546WRX Points: 152Posts: 546 Golden Tee

Indian Bayou in Destin Florida has a January-March membership for around $800. It includes range balls and a short game practice area. Nice course, not too busy in the winter, and Destin is great in the winter--it's the off season so the restaurants and bars aren't crowded but still open. Long term rentals are reasonable that time of year.

Posted:
  • tideridertiderider Members  3189WRX Points: 2,212Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,189 Titanium Tees

On -, @Sam3000 said:

Thanks a lot everyone! I am not anti-old people or anything but I already go to bed around 9:30pm so I need to stay young :)
    I am not exactly a weather snob so as long as it's 50+ I **am all good. I **just love the game and want to play as much as possible without going broke! I enjoy practice too so getting some sort of range membership sounds perfect.

Palm Desert/Springs is awesome it just seems like all those courses are too expensive to play 20-40 rounds at. Really love that area though!

I do have family in Durham, but the NC winter doesn't seem worth it. I definitely visit a lot in April.

I'll have to look closer at Vegas too. Hadn't thought of that but there must be reasonably priced golf somewhere around there.

Thanks again and keep em comin!

does not compute ... 50+ rules out the South ... i play if the course is open, so that's 33 or above ...

Posted:
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  573WRX Points: 127Handicap: 8Posts: 573 Golden Tee

If you go to the nicest warmest places, like AZ + FL, that are in season for winter tourists, you will find high rates and crowds, seniors or not.
    Myrtle Beach has a "snowbird Passport" that offers good 48 hour rates at a lot of courses. Weather is up and down, but if you want it warm the entire time, see sentence #1.

I don't think it's much fun to play the same course or two the entire time, but you could do that. In MB, courses that offer monthly memberships are usually among the lowest rated courses.

Posted:
  • BMCBMC Members  3927WRX Points: 922Handicap: YESPosts: 3,927 Titanium Tees

San Antonio Texas. Cheap housing, lots of real good public golf, good winter weather. Likely to be 60 degrees or higher 90 per cent of the time.

Posted:
    PING Rapture(OG) 10.5 driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Pro hybrids 18 & 23
    Callaway '18 MB irons
    Callaway 56 SW
    Cleveland Classic #2 putter
  • Saluki91Saluki91 Members  625WRX Points: 110Posts: 625 Golden Tee

Not sure what "reasonable" means to you. $20 per round? $40 per round? $60 per round?

As for getting the most for your $, I think you will have considerably more playable days in places like PHX or Tuscon than coastal /southern Florida. Consider high winds vs. an occasional chilly 40* morning.

A wildcard choice might be the Emerald Coast. Winter is the off-season there, so golf is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. It isn't a metropolis by any means, but the military has a big presence there, so finding people your age to socialize with won't be that difficult. You will have some cool/wet days, but not many... might be worth the compromise for quality and quantity of affordable golf.

Good Luck!

Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3W on GD YS Reloaded
    Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
    Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
    TM MG on DG Wedge (50*, 54*, 58*)
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
    2020 Srixon Z Star

Advertisement
  • J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members  1870WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,870 Platinum Tees

On -, @BMC said:

San Antonio Texas. Cheap housing, lots of real good public golf, good winter weather. Likely to be 60 degrees or higher 90 per cent of the time.

Can’t beat the breadth and depth of SA public golf. Weather in winter is mostly very nice.

Posted:
    What's in my bag:
    Cobra F9 Avalance 9* w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6X 44.75"
    Cobra F9 Tour 3W w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 7X 42.5"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cleveland RTX-4 50* & 55* / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Beech MountainMembers  518WRX Points: 84Posts: 518 Golden Tee

I would consider St. George, UT. Average temperatures during the Winter hit that 50* mark with low humidity and very little precipitation. House rentals are reasonable that time of year, although it helps to reserve in advance and golf is affordable. My wife and I are spending a month there this coming Winter and excited about all the activities and parks around the area for those days when golf isn't on the schedule.

Posted:
  • T-MACT-MAC Members  2022WRX Points: 133Posts: 2,022 Platinum Tees

Hilton Head SC. Averages 60+ in Dec and Jan and we have some awesome golf in the area with outstanding practice facilities.
    I would also mention San Antonio. My sister lives there and I will go there in the winter to play some golf with y brother in law. They come here too in the winters and it's a close call for the best golf/weather between the two areas.

Posted:
  • wagsgtwagsgt Members  677WRX Points: 140Posts: 677 Golden Tee

Florida,AZ, Palm Springs.. NC,SC,etc still get cold. If it was me id go warm as possible

Posted:
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors  4438WRX Points: 707Posts: 4,438 Titanium Tees

On -, @Sam3000 said:

I work from home up in Michigan, I have no responsibilities outside of getting my handicap down from the 3.5 I am now, and am looking to make golf season last longer! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places that might be worth looking into. And not necessarily just cities, but might there be a course in Arizona somewhere that offers decent monthly dues?

I know there are a ton of retirement/snowbird places but I am hoping for something reasonable where its less than 80% retirees. I'm sure Scottsdale is a good option or south Florida somewhere but thought I would ask this community for any general or specific advice.

Thanks!

Goto southern Scotland or southern England. Weather is like Michigan fall golf all winter. Cheap cost of living if you go to the right place and very cheap golf memberships. Definitely not warm like Arizona but if that's not your main concern its worth considering. Don't need a visa unless your there more than 6 months.

Posted:
    Post edited by FairwayFred on
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)

Advertisement
  • noahweinnoahwein Members  24WRX Points: 78Posts: 24 Bunkers

Melbourne, Australia ... especially mornington peninsula...is what you're looking for imo

Posted:
  • garytgaryt Members  353WRX Points: 92Handicap: 12Posts: 353 Greens

On -, @Sam3000 said:

Not a lot of cheap courses near Vegas if you're not a resident. The price can double or more for a tourist. There's a few but conditions go way down. I've actually wondered if I could get a fake drivers license showing me as a Vegas resident so I could get resident rates. Love desert golf though.

Posted:
  • ZizzerZizzer Members  22WRX Points: 33Posts: 22 Bunkers

Hilton Head is a great value. I stay JAN/FEB/Mar <$1200 rent per month

3 month memberships are available from $900 >

Posted:
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  643WRX Points: 307Handicap: 3Posts: 643 Golden Tee

On -, @jvincent said:

I'm going to suggest Monterey CA.

Specifically, look at the pricing on memberships at Bayonet/Blackhorse. Use those as your home course and play all of the other great courses in the area.

If you can keep your 3.5 hdcp playing those two courses you will be doing great! They are tough tracks

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3510WRX Points: 529Handicap: 7.3Posts: 3,510 ClubWRX

Like Sunbelter - St. George is a great place for year round golf. There are a lot of geezers (me included) here though, but there are several leagues that have younger guys in them.

You do know the reason there are a lot of retirees in resort destinations right?

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Advertisement
  • Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers  441WRX Points: 182Handicap: 1.2Posts: 441 Greens

What is your budget per month for rent (or are you buying) + golf?

Thinking outside the box here, you can go to just about anywhere in California and have a relatively mild winter. If you want cheap cost of living (for California) and relatively inexpensive country club golf experience, you could look toward Fresno in the Central Valley. There are numerous country clubs in the city (Fort Washington, San Joaquin, Sunnyside, Belmont, Dragonfly etc.) with membership dues under $400/mo. You can get a house with a yard for less than I'm paying for my apartment in San Diego. I had a friend inquire about a junior exec membership at Sunnyside this past summer. For someone aged 35-40 the initiation was $250 (yes two hundred fifty) and dues were $300/mo. Wouldn't be surprised if some of these other clubs would work with you on their initiations since you'd only want to be there in the winter and course condition wouldn't be as prime as summer since many of these courses allow their bermuda to go dormant rather than overseeding. I think if you want a to go somewhere "warm" (still cold, 40-55 during the day) then you should look at places like this. Probably some places in Nevada, Arizona, NM, Texas, etc that will be similar. Nothing special about Fresno, but a big enough city where there's things to do and plenty of golf to be played.

I saw someone comment about going to Monterey. If that is within your budget, I'd go there.

Posted:
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members  10651WRX Points: 400Handicap: 2Posts: 10,651 Titanium Tees

If you wanted to do AZ, there’s solid places you can play for under $50 prime especially if you play weekday golf and enjoy walking when you play. You just need to stay away from Scottsdale.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4093WRX Points: 796Posts: 4,093 Titanium Tees

Florida is a great choice because the weather is best and it’s the most affordable, not only from a golf perspective, but a living expense as well.

Your best places to look at are Palm Beach, Melbourne, Orlando or Ocala. I love the city of Tampa, but they just don’t have the quality of golf.

The positives of Palm Beach is there are a ton of great private courses that offer winter memberships. I think Bear Lakes (36 holes) offers a very good winter membership. And as far as Florida goes, that’s where most of the Tour players and mini-Tour players reside. The negatives of Palm Beach is that it’s more expensive to live there than most places in Florida and there’s a shortage of good, cheap public golf if you don’t want to do the winter membership thing.

Melbourne area is pretty cheap to live, but there’s a dearth of good golf courses nearby. You have Suntree CC and Edgewater which are private clubs that I believe offer a winter deal. They’re just not overly awesome courses. Duran is a public course that has a lighted range and offers winter deals, it’s just a very boring course. But the other positive is that you’re pretty close to the beach and only about 40 minutes from Orlando for good public golf.

Orlando’s positives is that it has a ton of good public courses and it’s close to the airport and is not overly expensive to live there. The negatives is that it has a lack of truly private clubs. I don’t even know if my club, Orange Tree, offers a winter deal. You can get a good range deal at Dubsdread and if you’re looking to not get a membership and play public golf, Orlando is the place to be.

Ocala may be the most inexpensive of them all. And as far as public and private courses available, it’s a hidden gem in Florida between Candler Hills, Stone Creek, Juliette Falls (awesome course), Ocala CC, Ocala National, Royal Oak, Golden Ocala, etc. The negatives is that there’s just not much going on in Ocala and you’re a bit away from the beach if you like to occasionally go there.

Weather-wise it will usually stick around the 70’s in Orlando. Cold days are usually around 50-55 degrees. The neat thing is that usually a cold day is followed by another cold day, but 5 degrees warmer and then another one and then it will get back to 70-80 degrees every day for the next couple of weeks.

RH

Posted:

Advertisement
  • soderwoellsoderwoell Members  96WRX Points: 46Handicap: 25Posts: 96 Fairways

On -, @J_Birdie said:

On -, @BMC said:

Can’t beat the breadth and depth of SA public golf. Weather in winter is mostly very nice.

I'll add my third to this. Austin is okay, but the golf in San Antonio is probably better and deeper. SA is significantly cheaper too without the hipster vibe that has invaded Austin. It's probably the only city in Texas I'd consider living in.

Also, depending on what part of Michigan you're in, it's roughly the same driving distance as most Florida destinations, and the public golf scene is really good. I played Brackenridge Park, an old Tillinghast course that's long in the tooth, and had an absolute blast. Great bones, good people, and a fun walk.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.