Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Broke 90 coulda been lower!

HabrownleeHabrownlee HabrownleeMembers Posts: 62 ✭✭

I’m a 23 handicap and consistently shoot 92-95 with the same blow ups . I’ve been really working on my wedges and hitting buckets of balls to get more consistent with my second shot. My course management is a constant problem. Usually being that I pick the wrong club and either under club or over club. But one of my biggest issues seems to be trees. I know I need my 100 yard club and I know I need to hit it low with my 5 iron i can even hit the shot I’ve practiced it ! How do I get my brain to actually do it instead of grabbing my 50 degree wedge and Hitting the tree above me! Dave Pelz is awesome! I actually practice different shots now. But my brain keeps not allowing me to recognize which! Any advice or books on course management I should check out? Thanks in advance

Comments

• HabrownleeHabrownlee Habrownlee Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

Today I have shot 85 but hit tge ball really well and made putts front everywhere

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You need a " that's dumb, stupid" filter in your thought processes. Gotta hit the shots that that have higher probabilities of working, not the "if I hit it perfect, I can do X" shots

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Congrats on you score! I've been working on trying to break 90 all summer and just can't yet seem to do it. Still working though.

In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Wilson Staff V6 raw 4-gw KBS tour 120 shafts
    wedge-- Callaway MD3 56* & 60* Dynamic gold shafts
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I’d say just make a game plan prior to the round and stick to it. Don’t let your ego get in the way. I struggle with that. I always go for it instead of taking the safe play. Play target golf, and I’m sure the scores will start coming down very quickly.

• andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 30, 2019 8:01pm #6

Congrats. I broke 90 a couple of years ago and a lot of times since but mostly I'm in the low 90s. It takes consistency to get below 90 and I just haven't ever got that. I'm even worse in competitions because after a bad shot I start rushing and wanting it all to be over. I've got better this season but the mental side is tough.

One thing that has helped me recently is taking chipping a lot more seriously. That means a lot more practising and not dismissing it as 'just something to get on the green'. I now try and use the pin as my target exactly as I do when putting and have been getting a lot of up and downs.

Unfortunately various other commitments have prevented me playing in any comps for a month but if I can get one more in I might finally see my handicap drop again.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I get in the 80s on occasion with my lowest being an 83 first time out this year (accidents will happen). It just seems one part of my game isn’t working when I play that keeps me from staying in the 80s. If I drive good my irons are off, if irons are on then my driving or putting is on off. It has been a few years since I went over a hundred so I guess that’s something

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@Ski5280 said:
    I’d say just make a game plan prior to the round and stick to it. Don’t let your ego get in the way. I struggle with that. I always go for it instead of taking the safe play. Play target golf, and I’m sure the scores will start coming down very quickly.

This is my problem exactly. I seem to go for everything. More so when I'm by myself.

In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Wilson Staff V6 raw 4-gw KBS tour 120 shafts
    wedge-- Callaway MD3 56* & 60* Dynamic gold shafts
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

@SNIPERBBB said:
    You need a " that's dumb, stupid" filter in your thought processes. Gotta hit the shots that that have higher probabilities of working, not the "if I hit it perfect, I can do X" shots

I agree with this.... The time I shot my lowest score 78 was when I played with a more restrainedlpartner. I would pull driver and he would say why are you pulling that, are you going to drive the green? It was a great lesson, I checking the ego and taking enough club.
    Also Congrats on breaking 90! Wasn't it easier than you thought?

• physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Congrats...in my opinion, breaking 90 is more about course management than anything else. You have to make smart decisions, and KNOW your game. I tend to hit a high ball flight, and can hit a baby draw, but am more comfortable hitting a straight shot or baby fade (2-5) yards with short irons. For example, I played a par 5 last week. I hit my drive left (ie; pulled), and was blocked out by trees and a BIG willow tree about 50 yards in front of me. I knew I likely couldn't get home in 2. The hero shot would have been to hit to the left of the trees with a 3 hybrid or 4 iron, and hit a high cut shot. BUT, there's water left of the green and that's a low percentage shot, IF I pull it off, great...but not likely. So, I hit a 9 iron at a 45* degree angle OVER the trees back to the fairway. I was then 106 yards out, and hit a gap wedge onto the green. Missed the birdie, but made par. Hitting the hero shot would have given me roughly a 15% chance at eagle, but probably a 70%+ chance at bogey if I hit it into the water. You want to break 90 consistently? Manage your misses. To be honest, I have shot low 80's and high 70's......single digit above par.....it's kind of boring. Safe shots. Good decisions.

Ping G400 SFT 9.5*
    Ping G410 SFT 3W 15*
    Taylormade M3 Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland CG15 54* SW
    Cleveland CG15 58* LW
    Cleveland 2135 8.0 CB 
  • NeverFail26NeverFail26 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Broke 90 for the first time 2 weeks ago. Front 9 was the best I’ve had. Everything just went right and I shot a 39 with a birdie and 5 pars

Back 9 the wheels fall off and I drop a 50. Break 90 and leave pissed off at what could have been

• DMAICDMAIC Members Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Congrats @Habrownlee I just started playing again after a long layoff and have been able to break 90 a few times but my putting is horrid. If I could make more than a five footer I'd be sniffing the 70s.

• UKGolfer86UKGolfer86 UKMembers Posts: 34 ✭✭

@Habrownlee Stick a brightly coloured tag on your bag somewhere, reminding you that if you play the stupid shot and hit the trees, you will fine yourself, or buy your playing partner(s) an extra beer. If choosing the wrong shot starts to cost you money, you will start to think more. if this is visible on your bag, your buddies will notice it too and make sure they collect!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file