Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Carl's Golfland had a major security breach.

2»

Comments

• GraymulliganGraymulligan Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ger21 said:
    I always pay with PayPal when I buy at Carl's.

I don't understand why more people don't do this. I get that nothing is foolproof, but adding another layer seems like a good idea.

M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

• winn0040winn0040 Members Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 1, 2019 8:59am #34

@Bill Broderick said:
    Upon reading the title to this thread, my first thought was "didn't I buy something from Carl's recently?" I checked my email and realized that I ordered from them last night. But, like most new retailers that I buy from, I used Paypal. I've had my credit card compromised multiple times. But, I always caught it quickly and the credit card company immediately removed fraudulent charges.
    There are two things that I suggest when making online purchases using cards. First, check with your card provider to see what kind of communication options they have. I get an email from Chase (the bank of my primary credit card) every time that a charge is made to my account from a gas station or when the card isn't present (online, mail or phone charges). That second one is why there has never been a time when I didn't notice the problem the same day that it occurred.
    Second, is that you should never use a debit card when making online purchases. Even though the cards are issued by the same banks that issue credit cards, you don't have the same legal rights if a debit card is compromised as you do if a credit card is compromised. Most banks do currently make good on your account. But, they aren't legally required to as they are with fraudulent credit card charges.

Thanks Billy.

Post edited by winn0040 on
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

@Graymulligan said:

@Ger21 said:
    I always pay with PayPal when I buy at Carl's.

I don't understand why more people don't do this. I get that nothing is foolproof, but adding another layer seems like a good idea.

I don't understand why any company actually uses their own website to accept credit card data or their own databases to store that DATA.
    My company uses a frame from our credit card processor to handle this data. They do everything. We just store a token, provided by the credit card processor if we need to reference (or make modifications) to that order.
    If there is ever a data breach, the publicity would be "every company using large payment processor X was affected by a breach" rather than "the company that Bill works for had a breach"
    At the very least, reasonable people won't be able to accuse us of being irresponsible with their data (along with having someone else being fiscally responsible for any potential litigation.

• jeffrey rjeffrey r Members Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. I placed an order online in March, but just checked, and fortunately I used PayPal.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 13.5* Driver, Aldila Quaranta 50 R
    Ping G400 3 Wood and SFT 5 Wood, Alta CB 65 S
    Ping G400 4 and 5 Hybrids, Alta CB 70 S
    Ping G400 Irons 6-UW, AWT 2.0 S
    Mizuno S18 SW (55/9) and LW (59/9), DG Wedge
    Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter
  • sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Beech MountainMembers Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭

I got a letter from them yesterday and was one of the "lucky"ones that had my card and personal info stolen. Fortunately, I caught fraudulent use on it in May and had my card canceled. Strangely, I was watching as charges were showing up, reported it and told them the store it was being repeatedly used at and no interest in trying to catch the individual. What bothers me most about it is that Carl's state the breach was discovered in June and I'm just now being notified in September.

• rsh0308rsh0308 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭

@sunbeltgolfer said:
    I got a letter from them yesterday and was one of the "lucky"ones that had my card and personal info stolen.

Are people getting notified by paper letter? I order from them not infrequently and get so many emails I delete them quickly. Now I’m not sure if I ever got a notice. So far card activity is stable.

My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story

Cobra F9, Atmos Black 6X
    Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*, White Tie x
    Taylormade Auroburner TP 3h, White Tie x
    Mizuno 850 Forged 4-P, DG TIS400
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
    EVNRoll ER5
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭

@rsh0308 said:

@sunbeltgolfer said:
    I got a letter from them yesterday and was one of the "lucky"ones that had my card and personal info stolen.

Are people getting notified by paper letter? I order from them not infrequently and get so many emails I delete them quickly. Now I’m not sure if I ever got a notice. So far card activity is stable.

I purchase quite a bit from them. I always use paypal or cash in store. Thankfully I was not harmed but I knew nothing of it until this thread.

Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭

People laugh at me for being a luddite. One of the jokes being i dont have a personal credit card. Other ways of doing it that severly limit your personal risk.

If only the dirt bags that pull crap like that spent the same time/resources doing something GOOD for society they would probably find themselves far more prosperous...

• larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why any company actually uses their own website to accept credit card data or their own databases to store that DATA.

Bingo. I use paypal on my site, but what amazes me is that I've had people EMAIL ME their credit card/cvv number instead of clicking the "purchase" link.

• sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Beech MountainMembers Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭

The letter I received indicated the " The breach occurred with customers who purchased with us on-line between March 25 and July 14, 2019. There was no breach of information from customers who purchased within either retail locations."

I hope this helps clarify for those still in the dark.

• Egs57Egs57 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

I’m one of the unlucky ones that got breached. So far only 160 dollars back on July 17th. I found out today and the card was deactivated this morning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file