Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf swing help - any feedback greatly appreciated

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me.
I have been struggling for a while now with wayward shots.
The problem seems magnified the longer the club.
My misses with the driver for example are big push/blocks and if my hands get too quick trying to square up - low hooks. Poor iron shots would include fat and the odd thin shot.

I think I'm rolling the club too much inside on the way back and 'getting stuck' hitting too much from the inside with a closed clubface, and is possibly making me 'jump' at impact. I may be way off with that though...

Any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Below is a YouTube link, it is broken up as I am not allowed to post links.

https: //youtu . be/CUBp_yG2cJQ

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure someone that actually knows something will chime in but in the meantime this is how I can help, posting your vid for convenience.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 30, 2019 4:39pm #3

You need to extend your right knee and torso better in the backswing. Look how your head and chest are pulled down and away from the target in the backswing.

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MonteScheinblum said:
    You need to extend your right knee and torso better in the backswing. Look how your head and chest are pulled down and away from the target in the backswing.

Monte, is it fair to say that any thought of not straightening your right knee too much in the backswing is a thing of the past (as long as you don't completely lock it out)?

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's pretty darned close to a good move. The problem is that you're swaying and dipping on your backswing rather than rotating around a fixed spine. So, even though your position at the top is strong, you're dropping and coming to the ball too shallow. If you hold off release, you'll hit a block. If you release prematurely, you'll hit a smother hook. If it were me, I'd work on stabilizing your rotation.

• pjm3586pjm3586 Members Posts: 2

Thanks everyone. I'll try to work on not moving off the ball.

• Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2019 10:39pm #7

While the cameras aren't positioned in the ideal locations they do seem good enough to spot a couple of things. I see two things that stand out at setup that are likely leading to some of the problems during the swing, and at impact. First you look pitched to far forward toward your toes at setup with your arms reaching out putting your hands well outside your shoulders from the downline view. Second it looks like the grip is running to high in your left hand towards the lifeline in the middle of your palm instead of lower in the hand close to where the pinky finger meets the palm. Both things lead you to be where your hips are pulled underneath you (known as early extension), your weight thrown on to your toes, your arms to be forced out toward the ball with your hands high at impact.

Ideally you should have the center of your shoulders stacked above your knees, those above your ankles, and your rear end stuck out behind you. That will put you in better balance during the swing and at impact.

Having the club lower in your left hand will help your hands to arrive lower at impact and reduce the blocks and flips resulting from the high hands you have at impact.

(You want the handle of the club running where the red lines are shown drawn on the glove, not where the grip is shown in the top photo)

(The grip should be trapped under the big pad of the hand positioning the hand above the grip).

Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter

• aggiegolfer21aggiegolfer21 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

Start with your hands higher at address (club more vertical). To me it looks like you're jumping out of the way to make room for your hands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file