Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

In retrospect

2»

Comments

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:
    In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have introduced my son to fishing which happened a few months ago. The guy is obsessed. If given a choice, I think he would now rather go fish than golf. That's disturbing!! Last week we were in the desert for a practice round and he is there looking for fish in every pond. He recently went so far to say that if golf doesn't work out he wants to be a pro fisherman. ughhhh

Seriously, let him think that way. My kid used to love to fish and I took that away because I wanted him to golf more. Kids need a hobby outside of golf. Trust me, fishing is better than Fortnite.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,115 ClubWRX

@heavy_hitter said:

@kekoa said:
    In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have introduced my son to fishing which happened a few months ago. The guy is obsessed. If given a choice, I think he would now rather go fish than golf. That's disturbing!! Last week we were in the desert for a practice round and he is there looking for fish in every pond. He recently went so far to say that if golf doesn't work out he wants to be a pro fisherman. ughhhh

Seriously, let him think that way. My kid used to love to fish and I took that away because I wanted him to golf more. Kids need a hobby outside of golf. Trust me, fishing is better than Fortnite.

I agree. Fishing is similar to golf in some ways. They both take tons of time, skill, and can get very expensive.

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2019 4:28pm #34

@kekoa said:
    In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have introduced my son to fishing which happened a few months ago. The guy is obsessed. If given a choice, I think he would now rather go fish than golf. That's disturbing!! Last week we were in the desert for a practice round and he is there looking for fish in every pond. He recently went so far to say that if golf doesn't work out he wants to be a pro fisherman.

I sense your jest ( I think). You are not alone- my 8 year old has the same fishing bug. The Two courses we play the most - one has a great bass pond, the other is on a tidal creek and prime for redfish. For me it goes back to what originally hooked my son to the course- candy at the snack bar. If I want to keep him engaged long term, need to mix it up now. Plan to tote a telescopic rod in the bag and surprise him now and then . Wetting a line every once in a while can be the new candy .

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

I think all the junior golfers have a little fishing bug in them. I know my son will wake up at 5am to go fish the ponds.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take my son fishing more but all you'll catch in the LA river are hobos and shopping carts.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,115 ClubWRX

@leezer99 said:
    I'd take my son fishing more but all you'll catch in the LA river are hobos and shopping carts.

I feel like courses should allow kids to fish their ponds after hours. It's unreal how many bass and other fish we see at the local courses.

@kekoa said:

@leezer99 said:

I feel like courses should allow kids to fish their ponds after hours. It's unreal how many bass and other fish we see at the local courses.

Instead of "This is private property."

Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@leezer99 said:

A fishing pole fits just fine in a golf bag, and isn't technically a club. What else is there to do when waiting for the kids to finish putting.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@leezer99 said:

We live on our course. We get in the golf cart in the evenings and go to the back where no one can see us. Great bass fishing.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2019 10:57am #41

I think @heavy_hitter post is spot on about how hard it to find the correct coach.

In my experience finding a good coach is very very hard. I wish someone told me more when my kids first started. You have to make sure the coach matches your style of swing.

Post edited by tiger1873 on
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@leezer99 said:

Our home course lets the boys and girls who work there fish after hours if they want. My son is so ready to hit 14 so he can work there!

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

Our home course lets the boys and girls who work there fish after hours if they want. My son is so ready to hit 14 so he can work there!

That's super cool. My son's course has two ponds with some monsters in it.

Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • JuniorGolfParentJuniorGolfParent Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Wish we had tried to qualify and compete in US Kids Worlds at a younger age.

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@TripleBogeysrbetter said:

That's super cool. My son's course has two ponds with some monsters in it.

They have some carp in a couple of the ponds that are absolute behemoths. I know some of the kids have pulled out some nice 6-8 lb bass as well.

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file