Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Strength and Golf

Lakers2020Lakers2020 Southern, CAMembers Posts: 50 ✭✭

I've never hit the ball that far. I hit a 34* 7 iron about 155 yards and I'll hit a good drive about 250-260 including roll. My swing is technically sound - I hit the center of the clubface on shots. I have a very smooth rhythm and swing a lighter shaft. Here is my question:
If two golfers have an identical swing but one if fairly stronger (strength) than the other will the stronger golfer hit the ball farther?

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily. Lots of ifs there. Not to be offensive, but why are you so sure your swing is technically sound?

• N0rs3manN0rs3man Members Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Strength =/= speed

Some people are like monkies and have small frame but can sprint 4.2 40s. Some people's make up is just faster twitch muscles and they can move faster. If someone is stronger then the club/ body mass will slow down their speed less, but does not mean that their maximum speed is that of someone who is weaker.

PXG 0811XF Gen. 2 HZRDUS ProjectX shaft
    King Cobra ROUGE X shaft woods
    Sterling single length irons
    Random putter

• CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily but if you look at most of the long drive guys, they are not small by any means. Muscle certainly helps

• scooterhd2scooterhd2 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

the ball goes further when the speed of the ball is faster. assuming a good strike and using good equipment, the speed of the ball is dictated by the speed of the club. So to hit the ball further, you need to increase your club head speed. Do you do that be being physically stronger? While that might not hurt, there are many other factors. Jessica Korda routinely drives it 275 and I am willing to bet that you can out bench her in the gym. Technique my friend. Technique.

• naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s more about speed than strength. Otherwise you couldn’t explain 15 year olders smashing the ball that long. And then in combination with a sound swing.

• ZitlowZitlow Members Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Quickness > Strength. How do you think little guys like Rickie Fowler and Justin Thomas hit the ball as far as guys like Koepka and DJ? In addition to quickness you need mobility.

• oukeithoukeith MichiganMembers Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Lots of threads on this subject lately.

Serious question: how is power in baseball different from power in the golf swing? Baseball power hitters are usually monsters...

• llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,440 ClubWRX

Helps to be strong but can also hurt you.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@oukeith said:
    Lots of threads on this subject lately.

Serious question: how is power in baseball different from power in the golf swing? Baseball power hitters are usually monsters...

A baseball bat doesnt have a club face you need to square up.

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Strength NEVER hurts, BUT...strength doesn't equate to speed.

If strength hurts, I'd love to see an example?

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Strength helps to a point, then you gotta have the technique. I blast it past most of the guys around me but I couldnt touch most of em in the weight room.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scooterhd2 said:
    the ball goes further when the speed of the ball is faster. assuming a good strike and using good equipment, the speed of the ball is dictated by the speed of the club. So to hit the ball further, you need to increase your club head speed. Do you do that be being physically stronger? While that might not hurt, there are many other factors. Jessica Korda routinely drives it 275 and I am willing to bet that you can out bench her in the gym. Technique my friend. Technique.

LPGA players are shorter than men and they have top technique, strength definitely plays a role in length as well.

• aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dpb5031 said:

I have seen a lot of muscle dudes that can't hit the ball more than 200 yards because they are so inflexible and their muscle becomes a handicap.

Strength helps in situations like hitting out of thick rough, but more strength is not necessarily going to get you more speed. A lot of the slight slim LPGA player hit it much further than amateur men that are a lot stronger than them.

• Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

oh and btw- guys like Rory, Justin thomas who are average size and skinny have been working their rotation and all other muscles that work in the golf swing to swing the clubhead fast since they were like 3 years old. There is definitely strength for them in those muscles as it relates to the swing

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scooterhd2 said:
    the ball goes further when the speed of the ball is faster. assuming a good strike and using good equipment, the speed of the ball is dictated by the speed of the club. So to hit the ball further, you need to increase your club head speed. Do you do that be being physically stronger? While that might not hurt, there are many other factors. Jessica Korda routinely drives it 275 and** I am willing to bet that you can out bench her in the gym**. Technique my friend. Technique.

I would not be so sure about that. Bench press perhaps , but I bet most out of shape golfers would be put to shame by her (and her sister) when it comes to some core strength exercises as both are in exceptional shape.

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aliikane said:

@dpb5031 said:

I have seen a lot of muscle dudes that can't hit the ball more than 200 yards because they are so inflexible and their muscle becomes a handicap.

Strength helps in situations like hitting out of thick rough, but more strength is not necessarily going to get you more speed. A lot of the slight slim LPGA player hit it much further than amateur men that are a lot stronger than them.

Correlation isnt causation. I already agreed strength doesn't = speed.

The "muscle dudes" either have poor swing technique, bad sequencing, or are otherwise just slow and unathletic...even though they may have big muscles. Their strength/muscularity is not what is causing their slow CHS. Plenty of skinny non-muscular guys/gals have slow CHS as well...and most of the long drive dudes are heavily muscled.

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Lakers2020Lakers2020 Southern, CAMembers Posts: 50 ✭✭

@MonteScheinblum said:
    Not necessarily. Lots of ifs there. Not to be offensive, but why are you so sure your swing is technically sound?

By technically sound I mean I have good fundamentals. I hit the ball pretty solid. I have a nice ball flight. I'm just weak as ****. I can't bench 135lbs. I think a lot of my "golf muscles" could be a lot stronger.

@scooterhd2 said:

your're right. speed is key. Korda def has faster CH speed and BS compared to me. I hope i can out bench her.

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakers2020 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

By technically sound I mean I have good fundamentals. I hit the ball pretty solid. I have a nice ball flight. I'm just weak as ****. I can't bench 135lbs. I think a lot of my "golf muscles" could be a lot stronger.

I’ll put it another way. There are places your swing can improve, that you are likely unaware are inefficient, that will help you hit it farther.

@MonteScheinblum said:

@Lakers2020 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

I’ll put it another way. There are places your swing can improve, that you are likely unaware are inefficient, that will help you hit it farther.

where?

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Go Lakers!
    With all things being equal.... YES!

I'm a gym rat and unequivocally will say that when I'm in better shape and stronger then other times the power is natural and not forced..... I'm a par golfer and when I'm feeling strong it feels as though I'm hitting the ball way more relaxed and softer then when I'm not and I'm able to compress the ball way more easily on ground shots..... plus if you want to swing harder and bomb one out there its obviously helpful..... Are the pro long bombers strong or weak.... very obvious. Same for all sports I used to play a ton of slow pitch and helped there too.... but don't think a skinny dude cant be strong where it matters... like JT or Jamie Sadlowski

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • Sleeky_DSleeky_D ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX

@Zitlow said:
    Quickness > Strength. How do you think little guys like Rickie Fowler and Justin Thomas hit the ball as far as guys like Koepka and DJ? In addition to quickness you need mobility.

I would agree with this reasoning. While increasing strength will certainly help, building quickness and speed in transition should help even more.

• scooterhd2scooterhd2 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

You got Monte watching the thread, I would definitely post a video at this point. I'm sure there is at least one power sucking flaw in the swing that you can improve on.

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

one poster in this thread knows ALOT more than the rest of us ... i'd listen to him.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 31, 2019 12:41am #27

@tatertot said:
    one poster in this thread knows ALOT more than the rest of us ... i'd listen to him.

I wouldn't say he knows more about everything as that extends beyond golf, but he certainly has the experience swinging a club faster than any of us. When he was at his fastest, it would have been fascinating if he knew then all that he knows now about golf. Even as a senior, he puts a hurt on the ball that 99+% of can only dream of.

I definitely listen to him.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Another thing on the hitting the ball solid...there are guys that I play with that hit the ball solid but don't hit it anywhere. The ball just floats out there.

Do you let the driver rip or do you have a controlled swing? I'm 5'11" 170# and can't hardly bench half my body weight the last time I was in the weight room conditions for baseball 17 years ago. Though my lower body strength was a lot better. I make a very aggressive move through the ball.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 31, 2019 12:55am #29

@Lakers2020 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

TBF pectoral strength isn’t really that important in the golf swing

@RobertBaron said:

@Lakers2020 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

TBF pectoral strength isn’t really that important in the golf swing

That's a great thing cause I could never do Dips or military presses in conditioning for baseball. Probably would of spent more time fishing or umpiring baseball in the summer if you needed great pecs.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Members Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 31, 2019 2:37am #31

https://www.jasonglassperformancelab.com/2019/08/14/cgp-ep302-training-for-the-competitive-golfer/

There are some interesting anecdotes from Jason Glass, who trains folks like Brooke Henderson and Adam Hadwin (among others). The most telling one was that his athletes who he was training for a few years, would go away to college and come back with slower swing speeds and less consistent swings. However, their bench press, deadlifts, and squats all went up. Basically the college trainers were training them purely for strength and ignoring mobility and explosiveness. Strength helps to make your body more resilient to injury, but they needed to supplement the strength training with mobility and explosive exercises to get their speed and consistency back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file