***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Taylormade MG2 in hand and RUSTED. How to with pictures.

Jdavenp3 ·  
Jdavenp3Jdavenp3 Members  890WRX Points: 136Posts: 890 Golden Tee

Hey all,

So my MG2s came in a little earlier than expected. So I watched the Rick Shiels video like a lot of you and saw him spraying the faces to help accelerate the raw faces oxidation. I assumed he used a Hydrogen Peroxide/Vinegar/Salt solution and someone in the other threads confirmed my beliefs. So I figured I would copycat him and give everyone a realistic idea of how long it takes, what to do, blah blah.

So here are my wedges. Fresh out of the wrapper with the sticker removed, which is very satisfying if youre into that type of thing. MG2 Black, Nippon 115 wedge matte, and midsize Golf Pride MC red/black grips.

Here is the beginning of the oxidation process. To see an initial result in the oxidation it literally takes 10 seconds before you see it start working on the face. This was after maybe a minute.

Here is the head after about 3-5 minutes.

And here it is after I was satisfied with the results and did not want to cause any deformation to the grooves (which I doubt it would in the time frame). Around 15 minutes total and washed off.

Also, the etching on the back will rust as well. Cool touch if they meant to do it, who knows?

I just poured the solution onto the club head and let it sit on the face. I believe misting would be a better alternative but I didn't have a spray bottle handy. 15 minutes total on my end, sitting in the sun. So...The recipe to do this is as follows.

8oz Hydrogen Peroxide
1ish oz of Distilled White Vinegar
1/2 tbsp of Kosher Salt

Let me know what you guys think. I know this is just a jumpstart to the true oxidation process. I am also not one that thinks rusting adds a ton of anything other than looks, and I happen to be one of the few that enjoy the aesthetics of it.

Posted:
WITB:

*Ping G410 LST PX Evenflow Black 75g
*Taylormade M3 15* Tensei Blue
*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
*Taylormade P790 4-AW Nippon Modus 105 T stiff
*Callaway MG3 Lucky Clover 56/60 for now
*Toulon Atlanta Stroke Lab slant
*2019 ProV1X-yellow
*Nike camo cart bag.
*Nike Vapor React 2 & Nike Air Max 1g

Comments

• OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5629WRX Points: 525Handicap: 10Posts: 5,629 Titanium Tees

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Gen2 smoke Yellow
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers  681WRX Points: 497Posts: 681 Golden Tee

Wedge is looking good! Looking forward to hearing how that raw face helps you on the course.

Posted:

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Motore X F3 6

TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3 Wood - Fujikura Motore X F3 7

TaylorMade SIM Max 3 Rescue - Fujikura Ventus Blue

TaylorMade SIM Max 4 Iron - Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ

TaylorMade My Hi-Toe 56 & 60 - Project X T

TaylorMade My Spider X - KBS CT Tour

TaylorMade TP5X

• Jdavenp3Jdavenp3 Members  890WRX Points: 136Posts: 890 Golden Tee

On -, @ASN21 said:

Wedge is looking good! Looking forward to hearing how that raw face helps you on the course.

I am going to be completely honest, I dont think the raw face will help a bit. Not to me, maybe to those where 100-300 revs makes a difference but I am a 9hdcp. I just like the look honestly. I had an older wedge when I was younger that had a similar look to it with black and gnarly face and I needed new ones so I said what the ****...

In the 20 or so chips I have hit around the yard, it feels great. Way, way, way better on the feel than my previous MD3s. I really didnt get along with those on the feel side of things, could have been weighting or shaft-they worked great for me but I just wanted better feel.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • BetterAtBingoBetterAtBingo Members  153WRX Points: 34Posts: 153 Fairways

What wedges did you play before these?

Posted:

Driver: Epic Flash SZ <-> ATMOS Red 7X

Fairway: M4 3HL <-> TENSEI Pro Blue 90TX

Hybrid: Apex '16 <-> HZRDUS Black 105X

Irons: Apex Pro '16 H20 <-> NIPPON 105S

Wedges: CBX2 50° / 56° Full Face <-> NIPPON C10S

Putter: Senita B 400g Slight Arc

Ball: Tour B RXS

Callaway MD3s. Then a lot of MD2 forged before that which I’d probably my favorite wedge

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • hacker49hacker49 Members  587WRX Points: 134Posts: 587 Golden Tee

My OCD just wants to clean up that face. I could never play a raw club. The rust would drive me insane. I don't care how much of an advantage it would give me, which it doesn't.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1987WRX Points: 430Posts: 1,987 Platinum Tees

Looks grippier .... cause the grooves dont cause spin its the face. Too bad you didnt hit a few first to compare the spin...

Posted:
    G410 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts

On -, @Barfolomew said:

Looks grippier .... cause the grooves dont cause spin its the face. Too bad you didnt hit a few first to compare the spin...

Ill leave that for folks that have the equipment to measure spin to do so. I dont believe my anecdotal data would have been of any help. It definitely has a rougher texture to it now but I'd say the results would be negligible. To my eye, it looks awesome though haha.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13207WRX Points: 4,331Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,207 Titanium Tees

Like it I am a big fan of rust and patina

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1987WRX Points: 430Posts: 1,987 Platinum Tees

On -, @Jdavenp3 said:

On -, @Barfolomew said:

Ill leave that for folks that have the equipment to measure spin to do so. I dont believe my anecdotal data would have been of any help. It definitely has a rougher texture to it now but I'd say the results would be negligible. To my eye, it looks awesome though haha.

It might spin more in wet conditions then before.... that would be huge cause many play in morning or evening dew even if not in rain

Posted:
    G410 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members  1282WRX Points: 218Posts: 1,282 Platinum Tees

The topic of rust on iron heads and more spin was debunked years ago. If anything this will reduce spin over time due to the groove edges wearing out faster

Posted:

Advertisement
  • gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers  563WRX Points: 342Handicap: 5-25Posts: 563 Golden Tee

On -, @wfrogge1 said:

The topic of rust on iron heads and more spin was debunked years ago. If anything this will reduce spin over time due to the groove edges wearing out faster

Not an issue when Titleist thinks you should replace your wedges after 75 rounds, but says nothing about actual use in that time frame...
    Persoanlly I didn't think I would like just the grooves rusting initially, and I stick with that. I love my RTG/raw/OC wedges rusted up. This just seems like yet another gimmick that they will drop next generation like the XFT wedge plates that would have cost them in the long run, yet a way better value for consumers...

Posted:
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members  1201WRX Points: 348Handicap: .2Posts: 1,201 Platinum Tees

How did you ever survive the beating from **** up the cushions on the patio????? Nice wedge btw.

Posted:
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers  2812WRX Points: 253Handicap: +0.6Posts: 2,812 Titanium Tees

Nice! I ordered MG2 Black 52 & 58 with same shaft as yours. Can't wait to receive mine's.

I had been playing with bronze MG with Modus 115 wedge shafts for 23 months. Love it but I could tell it was losing some spin.

Posted:
    My bag of hacking utensils;

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff
    SIM 3 & 5 wood with Diamana FW 75 stiff
    Adams VST 22* & 25*
    TM P760 4-PW DG 120 S300
    TM MG2 50, 54 & 60
    Titleist Big Sur, yes it is that old thing, 46"

On -, @Popeye64 said:

How did you ever survive the beating from **** up the cushions on the patio????? Nice wedge btw.

Hahaha. Old cushions. Excuse for her to buy a new set.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • hacker49hacker49 Members  587WRX Points: 134Posts: 587 Golden Tee

On -, @wfrogge1 said:

Rick Shiels just did a video showing a before and after rust comparison. It equated to about 300rpms after rust. So not enough to make a difference to us mere mortals. ****, even tour pros probably wouldn't notice a difference.

Posted:

Advertisement

Nah. No difference. Now the wedges have had pretty high spin rates from all of the reviewers but I didn’t expect anything different. And don’t put too much merit into it.

It boils down to this, if you like the looks of the MG2 it’s a great wedge. The shape and feel have been spot on. The patina look is really cool but won’t help your game.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 TX/CAMembers  1728WRX Points: 305Posts: 1,728 Platinum Tees

The raw is supposed to make a pretty big difference when water is introduced to the impact equation

Posted:
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees

Would kill my OCD to see rusty face but a clean heel & toe.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

On -, @MakersMarsh3 said:

The raw is supposed to make a pretty big difference when water is introduced to the impact equation

I've heard this as well. I'd like to see someone do a Dechambeau-esque test with a spray bottle. Whether its true or not? I will be getting them on course sometime this week and give a better review of actual shots. Around the house in the yard they feel great.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers  2812WRX Points: 253Handicap: +0.6Posts: 2,812 Titanium Tees

My MG2 Black 52.09 & 58.11 came in this afternoon. I like them already. I'm not going to accelerate the rusting but will see how long it takes for them to rust on their own.

Posted:
    My bag of hacking utensils;

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff
    SIM 3 & 5 wood with Diamana FW 75 stiff
    Adams VST 22* & 25*
    TM P760 4-PW DG 120 S300
    TM MG2 50, 54 & 60
    Titleist Big Sur, yes it is that old thing, 46"

Advertisement
  • Kale_mKale_m Members  2471WRX Points: 528Posts: 2,471 Platinum Tees

Used this solution on my raw apex mb

Posted:
    Taylormade Sim 9* (9.75*) Accra tour Z RPG 472 m5+
    Titleist TS3 15* Synergy green proto 80tx
    Titleist U500 2 iron Aerotech HLS 980 xstiff
    Taylormade p750 4-PW
    Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
    Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2
  • PhilippPhilipp Members  325WRX Points: 65Posts: 325 Greens

Can the black coating be stripped completely? Is this QPQ coating?
    Like the Vokeys!?

Posted:

On -, @Kale_m said:

Used this solution on my raw apex mb

Those things look great.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members  448WRX Points: 137Posts: 448 Greens

I don't care if it spins more. The black with the rust looks sick!

So the feel is good. How about the grind?
    I have the MD now and like the option of choosing a grind whereas these come in low/high bounce.

Posted:
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron

On -, @BrandonDunes said:

I don't care if it spins more. The black with the rust looks sick!

So the feel is good. How about the grind?
    I have the MD now and like the option of choosing a grind whereas these come in low/high bounce.

Feel is great. Cannot be happier. The TPU insert does mute the clickiness of the wedges a good bit. They feels much, much softer than my old MD3s. I chose to go with low bounce options on both of my wedges so there it is a little different grind than the normal bounce. I have no problem opening them up, putting any forward press, etc. Seems like a very versatile wedge and I am very pleased with my purchase.

Posted:
    WITB:

*Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.

Advertisement
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2414WRX Points: 715Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,414 ClubWRX

On -, @Philipp said:

Can the black coating be stripped completely? Is this QPQ coating?
    Like the Vokeys!?

The black finish is a QPQ finish.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
    TaylorMade RSi TP, 3-4, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped)
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport 2, 33.5"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • pedrobordespedrobordes Monterrey, NLMembers  17WRX Points: 28Handicap: +2Posts: 17 Bunkers

those look niceeee

Posted:
    TM M6 10.5º / Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TM M1 2017 16º / HZRDUS Black 75X
    TM M2 Tour 18º / Diamana D+ 80TX
    TM P790 UDI 2i / KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Mizuno MP-4 3-PW / TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 SS
    Miura Forged Raw 50 Custom F Grind / TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Miura Forged Raw 54 Custom S Grind / TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Miura Forged Raw 59 Custom C Grind / TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2 Carbon Steel TriSole
  • handyquacks17handyquacks17 MassachusettsMembers  97WRX Points: 55Posts: 97 Fairways

I have these on the way. If I just play them regularly they will rust naturally over time right? I dont see the need to speed up the rusting process

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SUITSSUITS Members  1075WRX Points: 103Posts: 1,075 Platinum Tees

Reminds me a lot of the black trusty rusty wedges

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.