Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

KF Tour Championship...Daniel Berger??

SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 31, 2019 3:35pm in Tour Talk #1

Surprised how little talk there has been about the KF Finals and battle to get Tour Cards...Yes, I know Hovland and some others have gotten mentioned, but not much talk about other players who have been on the big stage for 1+ years struggling to keep their cards.

Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension. Looks like he skipped the first final events, but is playing this weekend??

I know he has played a heavy schedule, but a bit surprised that Hovland skipped this event with a chance to finish #1 (which give a Players invite as well as a full card that is not subject to the re-shuffle).

Other guys looking to play their way into cards for next year include:
Projected Starting
Justin Harding 20 13

Grayson Murray 25 14
Curtis Luck 17 15
Rob Oppenheim 21 16

Joseph Bramlett 1 17

Ben Martin 36 19

Dawie van der Walt T37 T23
Hank Lebioda T37 T23

Harris English 19 T26

T.J. Vogel T46 T26

Johnson Wagner T46 T26

Doug Ghim 45 29

Billy Hurley III 43 30
Jonathan Byrd 44 T31

Scott Langley 54 T31

Dominic Bozzelli 30 37

Davis Riley 8 43

Blayne Barber 62 T44
Steven Alker T64 T44
Cody Gribble 66 47
Fabián Gómez 29 T51

D.J. Trahan 42 T53
Richy Werenski 49 T53

Peter Uihlein 60 T53

Steve LeBrun 68 T53
Shawn Stefani 71 T53

Ollie Schniederjans 72 58
Brett Stegmaier 78 59

Ben Kohles 84 65

John Oda T88 T67

Julián Etulain 22 T70
Wes Roach 48 T72
Martin Flores 93 76

Zack Sucher 96 79
Whee Kim 61 T80

Hunter Mahan T73 T82
Freddie Jacobson T73 T82
Ben Crane T73 T82

Erik Compton T85 T82

Jamie Lovemark T85 T82

Morgan Hoffmann T98 T82

Daniel Berger T98 T82
Stewart Cink T98 T82

Nicholas Lindheim T98 T82

Andrew Svoboda T98 T82
Stephan Jaeger T98 T82

Kevin Stadler T98 T82
Smylie Kaufman T98 T82

Comments

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The course look's punishing. If the wind blows, there will be a lot of big numbers.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well some of these guys definitely feeling the pressure. Jamie Arnold and Kevin Dougherty come to mind. Good players but its a tough way to make a living.

W/S Cortex 10.5* - Atmos Red - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SkiSchoolPro said:
    Surprised how little talk there has been about the KF Finals and battle to get Tour Cards...Yes, I know Hovland and some others have gotten mentioned, but not much talk about other players who have been on the big stage for 1+ years struggling to keep their cards.

Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension. Looks like he skipped the first final events, but is playing this weekend??

Berger has some exempt status for 2019/2020 playing out of PGA Tour Priority Status Category 32 (FEC finishers 126-150). He took a flyer playing this week hoping to finish high enough that he would get his PGA Tour card for 2019/2020. If he does get it he is then playing out of a higher priority ranking for next season which equals more starts.

The twist for Berger is that he will likely begin next season on a Medical Exemption due to his injuries from last season that cost him events played in the fall. If he meets the FEC points total for his medical exemption he will play out of higher priority category in 2019/2020 giving him more starts on tour. If not his still has his limited playing status and sponsor exemptions. The downside of playing out of the 126-250 catergory is not being able to plan your schedule in advance.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Lewis.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SkiSchoolPro said:

Scott Langley 54 T31

Oof...bogied his last hole yesterday to miss the cut by 1. He'll be on the KF Tour next season.

• SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 1, 2019 1:17pm #7

@grm24 said:

@SkiSchoolPro said:

Berger has some exempt status for 2019/2020 playing out of PGA Tour Priority Status Category 32 (FEC finishers 126-150). He took a flyer playing this week hoping to finish high enough that he would get his PGA Tour card for 2019/2020. If he does get it he is then playing out of a higher priority ranking for next season which equals more starts.

The twist for Berger is that he will likely begin next season on a Medical Exemption due to his injuries from last season that cost him events played in the fall. If he meets the FEC points total for his medical exemption he will play out of higher priority category in 2019/2020 giving him more starts on tour. If not his still has his limited playing status and sponsor exemptions. The downside of playing out of the 126-250 catergory is not being able to plan your schedule in advance.

I sorta figured that, but was curious why he didn't play the earlier KFF events to give himself a better shot at improving his status?? Maybe he thought it was better to be best prepared for the start of the '19-'20 season when he will likely get to use his med starts rather than improve his KFF odds?

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:
    Tom Lewis.

Takes a flyer and comes over from the UK for a week and leads by two after three rounds.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • No GimmesNo Gimmes Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

@Darth Putter said:

@OldTomMorris said:
    Tom Lewis.

Takes a flyer and comes over from the UK for a week and leads by two after three rounds.

He’s having a great week and I’m a fan of his. Surprised he hadn’t had more of an impact. I may be reading it right but....... if he finishes t6 or better he secures a Tour card for next year?
    One start all year an 6th gets him a tour card???? That doesn’t sound fair to me. A lot of guys playing all year, just miss out and a guy can play one event and get a card.
    All about timing I guess 🤔

• snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

@No Gimmes said:

@Darth Putter said:

@OldTomMorris said:
    Tom Lewis.

He’s having a great week and I’m a fan of his. Surprised he hadn’t had more of an impact. I may be reading it right but....... if he finishes t6 or better he secures a Tour card for next year?
    One start all year an 6th gets him a tour card???? That doesn’t sound fair to me. A lot of guys playing all year, just miss out and a guy can play one event and get a card.

Lewis is a world class player so it's not really a surprise he's playing so well..at least thru the first 54 holes. He earned enough non member Fedex points during the PGA season to participate in the Finals. Each player that qualified for the KF Finals (Top 75 on the KF tour, 126-200 on the PGA tour in fedex points, non members with enough points, medical exempt players) had the opportunity to play the 3 events to earn a PGA card so it sounds fair to me. A solo 6th in any of the 3 events should've been enough to secure a card..The guys who just missed out on the 25 PGA cards given out a few weeks ago thru the regular season KF tour can still secure a card with a high finish in any of the 3 tournaments too..
    As for Berger not really sure why he bypassed the first 2 events except possibly he's mainly playing the KF TC as a tuneup before the swing season where he will have a medical exemption in his back pocket? I don't know...
    I noticed that there were a few others w/ medical exemptions, Kevin Chappell comes to mind, that didn't play all the events and seemed to be using it as a vehicle to get back in golf shape. Then there is also Grayson Murray also with a medical exemption but looks like he won't need it and will likely finish top 25 in the playoffs. It just seems to be an eclectic mix of young kids, journeyman vets, overseas players, guys coming back from injury, etc.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Darth Putter said:

@OldTomMorris said:
    Tom Lewis.

Yeah quite impressive. I saw his interview after round 2 and its kind of unclear what he's intending to do as he stated he remains committed to the ET.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Having fun watching this. Come on DJ. Sink this **** putt!

Amazing to see how many flagged approaches these guys are hitting. Everybody is just going at anything. No choice .

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

Clutch up and down for Ghim, with the fist pump, too.

edited Sep 2, 2019 10:01pm #14

Trahan, Werenski and Harding sweating out these final few holes by the last 2 groups. Murray bogey puts the first 2 in and knocks out Harding.

• son_of_ketoson_of_keto Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Anyone see the 7i Hearn hit into 18? THAT was clutch. Been a pretty entertaining last round, and Lewis is a BEAST.

Wonder if Justin Harding was watching? Griffin lips out a birdie putt that would have put Harding back into the top 25.
    Great playing by Lewis on that course.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bam! So glad to see Trahan get his card back. Look to see him have a good season coming up without the pressure of playing on exemptions/qualifying etc ....

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• ShortStickShortStick Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

And congrats to Oppenheimer and Werenski for earning their way back. It’s special to see New Englanders on the tour. Looking forward to following them next year!

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Werenski finished #126 in the Fed Ex Cup standings and winds up T24th in the playoffs making it by a shot.

Justin Harding starts the week #13, misses the cut and has 13 golfers pass him.

Tom Lewis will move up to #63 in the world.

Scottie Scheffler gets the #1 spot and a place in the TPC.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

@snizzle said:

@No Gimmes said:

@Darth Putter said:

@OldTomMorris said:
    Tom Lewis.

Lewis is a world class player so it's not really a surprise he's playing so well..at least thru the first 54 holes. He earned enough non member Fedex points during the PGA season to participate in the Finals. Each player that qualified for the KF Finals (Top 75 on the KF tour, 126-200 on the PGA tour in fedex points, non members with enough points, medical exempt players) had the opportunity to play the 3 events to earn a PGA card so it sounds fair to me. A solo 6th in any of the 3 events should've been enough to secure a card..The guys who just missed out on the 25 PGA cards given out a few weeks ago thru the regular season KF tour can still secure a card with a high finish in any of the 3 tournaments too..
    As for Berger not really sure why he bypassed the first 2 events except possibly he's mainly playing the KF TC as a tuneup before the swing season where he will have a medical exemption in his back pocket? I don't know...
    I noticed that there were a few others w/ medical exemptions, Kevin Chappell comes to mind, that didn't play all the events and seemed to be using it as a vehicle to get back in golf shape. Then there is also Grayson Murray also with a medical exemption but looks like he won't need it and will likely finish top 25 in the playoffs. It just seems to be an eclectic mix of young kids, journeyman vets, overseas players, guys coming back from injury, etc.

If Murray is granted medical exemption starts for 2019/2020 he will play out of that priority category so he can try to earn enough FEC points to equal/better 125th place in FEC points for 2018/2019. If he does that he will have a higher priority ranking for 2019/2020 (Category 20) than what he earned from the KFT Finals (Category 26) which means more starts. If he does not earn enough FEC points when his medical exemption runs out he will simply revert to playing out of Category 26 that he earned in the KFT playoffs. This situation happened with Sang Moon Bae last year.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Darth Putter said:
    Werenski finished #126 in the Fed Ex Cup standings and winds up T24th in the playoffs making it by a shot.

Harding played all 4 majors and the KF Tour Championship this year. I wonder if anyone has done that before.

@Darth Putter said:

Crazy finish for spots 23-25. Harding misses his card by 1/8th of a point.

@grm24 said:

@Darth Putter said:

Crazy finish for spots 23-25. Harding misses his card by 1/8th of a point.

Or 1/8".... that Griffin's putt was from going in. :)

• jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Griffin's putt catching the edge was brutal. Lewis even gave him a good read, but Griffin's seemed to break more.

@SkiSchoolPro said:
    Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension.

Bringing this one back around for Berger. The PGA Tour Medical Extension list for 2019/2020 is now available. Berger has 5 starts to earn 14.512 FEC points to get his exemption back. Should be easy enough to do. Based on the FEC points distribution for a regular PGA Tour event he only needs to finish solo 41st or better to earn his card back.

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html
    https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-point-distribution--pga-tour-season.html

• DON SVODON SVO Hacker in progress... Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@SkiSchoolPro said:
    Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension.

Bringing this one back around for Berger. The PGA Tour Medical Extension list for 2019/2020 is now available. Berger has 5 starts to earn 14.512 FEC points to get his exemption back. Should be easy enough to do. Based on the FEC points distribution for a regular PGA Tour event he only needs to finish solo 41st or better to earn his card back.

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html
    https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-point-distribution--pga-tour-season.html

Thank you for posting that! Some of the names on that list were surprising, and answered a few questions about why a few guys fell off the earth.

A bag of left-handed junk.
    Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2 Kai'li 70x
    3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 80x
    2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
    3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
    4-PW: Mizuno MP-32 satin PX 6.5
    59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0
    Cameron Newport 1.5

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights