Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Update: 4 month old TM m5 driver crown is lifting

Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭
edited Sep 11, 2019 5:46pm in WRX Club Techs #1

My Son has a Taylormade M5 driver.
It is about 4 months old.
Today he noticed it sounded funny, and after a few hits, the crown is lifting up.
His swing speed is 113-118, but the club should be able to handle that.
How does Taylormade handle the warranties like this?
Has anyone else had this happen with the m5, m6 series.
I've heard of the M2's doing this.

Post edited by Jackal66 on

Comments

  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Stuff happens when a moving object hits a still object. Even more so at your son’s speed.

    TM Warranty
    https://www.taylormadegolf.com/warranty?lang=default/

    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭

    @noodle3872 said:
    Stuff happens when a moving object hits a still object. Even more so at your son’s speed.

    TM Warranty
    https://www.taylormadegolf.com/warranty?lang=default/

    Thanks for the link.
    I appreciate it. 👍👍👍

  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Call TM or visit the place where you got it.
    They will replace, Definitely happens more often at high speeds with the multi material drivers of today

    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • FlashwurksFlashwurks Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 33 ✭✭

    I hear and can somewhat understand the hit hard, break hard argument - but there are several threads on here about M5 issues (I follow them because I have one). At the swing speeds OP is talking about, there should be zero issues with a shaft or head direct from manufacturer outside of the here and there. That being said, TaylorMade has great customer service, so you should be fine. But these issues shouldnt be happening at tour speeds as these club heads, I imagine, are tested at higher speeds than that.

  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,207 ClubWRX

    @Flashwurks said:
    I hear and can somewhat understand the hit hard, break hard argument - but there are several threads on here about M5 issues (I follow them because I have one). At the swing speeds OP is talking about, there should be zero issues with a shaft or head direct from manufacturer outside of the here and there. That being said, TaylorMade has great customer service, so you should be fine. But these issues shouldnt be happening at tour speeds as these club heads, I imagine, are tested at higher speeds than that.

    There will always be issues of this type with drivers and other clubs that push manufacturing processes. Some small percentage of them are going to fail due to defects that eventually cause a failure after use. The more energetic the collision, the faster a failure like this will manifest itself.

    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

    jll62's WITB
  • Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2019 1:35am #7

    @jll62 said:

    @Flashwurks said:
    I hear and can somewhat understand the hit hard, break hard argument - but there are several threads on here about M5 issues (I follow them because I have one). At the swing speeds OP is talking about, there should be zero issues with a shaft or head direct from manufacturer outside of the here and there. That being said, TaylorMade has great customer service, so you should be fine. But these issues shouldnt be happening at tour speeds as these club heads, I imagine, are tested at higher speeds than that.

    There will always be issues of this type with drivers and other clubs that push manufacturing processes. Some small percentage of them are going to fail due to defects that eventually cause a failure after use. The more energetic the collision, the faster a failure like this will manifest itself.

    That's kind of what I was thinking .
    With my 102 swing speed, it might have never broke.
    Or, it could have taken longer (maybe 10 years).
    With as many pros playing these , they shouldn't be too fragile.
    Thanks for all the info everyone !👍👍

  • Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭

    Contacted Taylormade, sent pics, and they are going to warranty it.
    Thanks for all the info.

  • HeckleHeckle Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

    Great result. I have heard of several of these having problems at higher swing speeds.

  • Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭

    Update:
    Taylormade replaced\warranted the driver with no problems.
    They even apologized for the inconvience.
    Great customer service.
    👍👍👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file