Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

World Long Drive Championship.....Is it a thing now?

Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭
edited Sep 2, 2019 11:21pm in Tour Talk #1

I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

Comments

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

um, it's been a "thing" for quite some time ... this just in: this is america ... there are no 'conventional' acts ...

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t watched it other than accidentally....and it wasn’t a thing to me....cool to watch them hit one that far and then that’s that for me.

• Titleist84Titleist84 Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

First one was in 1976 but yeah not a fan either. I'm more impressed when someone can stick a 40-70 yard wedge shot close.

• Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 2, 2019 11:59pm #5

@tiderider said:
    um, it's been a "thing" for quite some time ... this just in: this is america ... there are no 'conventional' acts ...

I know it's been around for quite some time....and I was born and raised right here in the Old U.S.A. Let me rephrase ...Is it cool now after the rebranding.....most guys look like weight lifters, except the guy with the long hair and there are more women Drivers.

• JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2019 12:26am #6

I remember some guy named Evan big cat William's would show up at paid events claiming he'd won some ....probably legit. Before my time. I did watch when that short and stocky Canadian guy (forgot his name) handed the reigns over to the even longer (and much thinner) canadian sadlowski. They were entertaining. And then there's this guy who apparently bests them all but I've just never seen it.

TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX (yellow)
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Evan Williams was a beast
    Won one year with a 353 drive with a wooden head and normal length shaft

• Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:
    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

I feel like it gets across better in person. I came across a long driver in a PGA super store once and he was cool to watch. I had swing speed of around 125 at the time, long by normal standards. The difference between him and I was dramatic (he was around 145). Its like watching the home run derby, good in doses but I wouldn't revolve and entire season around it.

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,220 ClubWRX

It’s not very compelling when they go 0 for 8 or 1 for 8. And that happens often.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

@Bingo1976 said:
    They've managed to make bass fishing a thing, so why not some fat blokes hitting a ball into a grid

LOL! why not!?! …..It's close enough to golf...It do require training, technique and special equipment.

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@Bingo1976 said:
    They've managed to make bass fishing a thing, so why not some fat blokes hitting a ball into a grid

LOL! why not!?! …..It's close enough to golf...It do require training, technique and special equipment.

Yeah but some of them really have terrible swings and just go all out. It's really far from what golf is other than a golf ball. Even the drivers are not playable on a course. That said they do produce some real sweet clubhead speeds though. Youtube highlights is as far as it goes for me. The crowds seem so small too at events. I wonder how they survive.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 8, 2019 3:24am #13

A few years back (2015) Art Sellinger sold the LDA to Comcast/Golf Channel. It was rebranded to the World Long Driver Championship. Cheap programming for Comcast/Golf Channel.

Post edited by grm24 on
  • I've competed in 2 long drive events. It's boring to watch on TV. It's cool as **** in person. And no, most of the guys I played with were either scratch golfers, or they shot high 70's. Very few weren't good at regular golf. I have played golf with a 4 degree driver, and hit the same amount of fairways as my 7 degree gamer. There is no way I can just pick up a 48 inch long drive driver and automatically hit it at all. I need a solid 15-20 balls for warmup off a 4 inch tee.

• iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Chicks dig the long ball no?

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing to do with golf, but entertaining to see it live once. Love when they swing it so hard they lose the hat :D

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do find it entertaining and will definitely watch. The girls, for the most part, have by far the better golf swings and will generally keep more shots in the grid. One of the girls, Alexis Belton, actually just made it through the first stage of the LPGA qualifying series so she obviously has pretty good game. Two events ago, she lost in the finals by only 2 feet and then won the next event by 2 yards.

Couple of weeks ago in one of the events we were watching, Kyle Berkshire put on a show. In the quarters, the other guy hits his 8 shots and it only takes one shot for Kyle to hit it past him. In the semi's, the other guy hits his 8 shots and it takes Kyle two shots to hit it past him. Then in the finals, after the other guy hits his 8 shots, Kyle ended it again with his first drive.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist84 said:
    First one was in 1976 but yeah not a fan either. I'm more impressed when someone can stick a 40-70 yard wedge shot close.

I'm impressed when they can judge a 5 iron punch and run it to kick in distance.

@grm24 said:
    A few years back (2015) that Art Sellinger sold the LDA to Comcast/Golf Channel. It was rebranded to the World Long Driver Championship. Cheap programming for Comcast/Golf Channel.

I definitely agree with the Cheap programing. I feel as though something is missing and the event need to be enhanced in some way.....something other than trick shots...LOL!

• puttfordouxputtfordoux Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

This article from 2017...mentions Dennis Paulson as the NCAA long-drive champ back in 1985 (!)...
    https://www.worldlongdrive.com/news/champions-corner-world-long-drives-increasing-relevance-golf-landscape/

• SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@JD3 said:
    I remember some guy named Evan big cat William's would show up at paid events claiming he'd won some ....probably legit. Before my time. I did watch when that short and stocky Canadian guy (forgot his name) handed the reigns over to the even longer (and much thinner) canadian sadlowski. They were entertaining. And then there's this guy who apparently bests them all but I've just never seen it.

Jason Zuback is the short, stocky Canadian you speak of

TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@puttfordoux said:
    This article from 2017...mentions Dennis Paulson as the NCAA long-drive champ back in 1985 (!)...
    https://www.worldlongdrive.com/news/champions-corner-world-long-drives-increasing-relevance-golf-landscape/

I. Believe Dennis won the National Long drive not the NCAA
    For a good player, he had insane length and control

• CatmanbobCatmanbob Members Posts: 1

Definitely fun to watch in person. Most golfers love to hit the long ball more than anything else. Many are very good golfers with scratch or better handicaps. Kyle Berkshire was a +3 handicap on the North Texas golf team when he discovered long drive. Entirely different skill set from traditional golf, but on the verge of becoming its own thing.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SavageCy said:

@JD3 said:

Jason Zuback is the short, stocky Canadian you speak of

whoa, whoa, whoa , whoa, whoa, whoa.. that hammer sure can hammer the ball. He's all American

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭

@RSinSG said:
    It’s not very compelling when they go 0 for 8 or 1 for 8. And that happens often.

This. Sure, it's great that they can hit the ball as far as they can, but it's not entertaining to see the vast majority of their shots get hooked and sliced to ****. If they added some element of accuracy into the competition (aside from just making sure it lands in the field of play), then I could get behind it more. That is, I'd rather the winner be the guy who goes 8 for 8 with a long of 375 than the guy hooks seven balls but whose one ball in play goes 390.

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Philomathesq said:

@RSinSG said:

This. Sure, it's great that they can hit the ball as far as they can, but it's not entertaining to see the vast majority of their shots get hooked and sliced to ****. If they added some element of accuracy into the competition (aside from just making sure it lands in the field of play), then I could get behind it more. That is, I'd rather the winner be the guy who goes 8 for 8 with a long of 375 than the guy hooks seven balls but whose one ball in play goes 390.

So like an average drive competition instead of LONGEST DRIVE?

Epic Flash SZ 9* TD  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage Atlanta
    Kunar Valley CC
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Golfjack said:

@Titleist99 said:

@Bingo1976 said:

Yeah but some of them really have terrible swings and just go all out. It's really far from what golf is other than a golf ball. Even the drivers are not playable on a course. That said they do produce some real sweet clubhead speeds though. Youtube highlights is as far as it goes for me. The crowds seem so small too at events. I wonder how they survive.

No one said it was golf. It’s one aspect of golf but with the sole purpose of hitting 1 of 8 shots further than your opponent. Actually the clubs are playable on the course. They are limited to 48” in length which is legal limit on tour.

It’s a niche sport and they survive thru sponsorships. Guys used to work real jobs and do long drive as a side gig and some corporate outings. Now with tv exposure it’s brought in sponsorships for events and players.

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2019 10:59pm #29

@Titleist99 said:

Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
    edited Sep 4, 2019 12:23am #30

@BrandonDunes said:

@Titleist99 said:

Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

@Im_A_Savage said:
    I'd rather watch a long drive competition over soccer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Well said Savage, well said......LOL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file