Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

World Long Drive Championship.....Is it a thing now?

Comments

• Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

I also see a couple of the golf channel announcers at some of the events....

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone refer to Zuback as short and stocky? Since when was being built like a pharmaceutically enhanced body builder considered “stocky”? The guy is solid muscle.

You will never question long drive after you’ve stood next to someone hitting a ball 210+ miles an hour. It makes a sound and flight like you’ve never seen and you’ll never see again. I’m a professional, can hit the driver 300+, and I can tell you that my “high” drives looked like 150 yard worm burners compared to Zuback when I hit balls next to him years ago. It was humiliating and I hit only wedges the rest of the time while he hit 400+ yard fades over and over again.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 1:37am #34

@Bingo1976 said:
    They've managed to make bass fishing a thing, so why not some fat blokes hitting a ball into a grid

Kevin VanDam, over 7MM in career earnings. (Not including endorsements!)

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hummmm. One dude just hit one 454 on tonight’s competition.
    Ball speed north of 220. LOL! Nice.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

LOL! …..and nothing is more boring than Bass Fishing. WOW! $7M in career earnings!

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:
    LOL! …..and nothing is more boring than Bass Fishing. WOW! $7M in career earnings!

Boring?! Well, watching, maybe. But nothing beats a top water strike or a bass breaking surface ; )

I suppose it would be like golf, once you experience it you get hooked (pun intended)…..LOL!

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,402 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 4, 2019 12:19pm #39

@bscinstnct said:

@Titleist99 said:

Boring?! Well, watching, maybe. But nothing beats a top water strike or a bass breaking surface ; )

Used to fish a ton, started out bass/panfish and farm ponds - when one of my grandpa's had a farm pond could spend all day down there. Moved to an area without farm ponds, got into larger water and walleyes/trips to Canada but kids grew up, sold my boat and play a lot more golf. ****, I miss fishing!

Fly fishing for bass or northerns anything but boring, but still partial to a slip bobber diving under!

Memories . . . . . . .

• jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Im_A_Savage said:
    I'd rather watch a long drive competition over soccer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater than watch soccer.

WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • playar32playar32 Members Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like they have relatively smart people who know how to cater/package it to more of a social media event.

Its not bad, not great, basically if you took one aspect from any other sport and tried to make it a thing. "Who can throw a football the farthest", yea that's cool, that doesn't automatically win you the super bowl.

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,220 ClubWRX

@Hawkeye77 said:

Used to fish a ton, started out bass/panfish and farm ponds - when one of my grandpa's had a farm pond could spend all day down there. Moved to an area without farm ponds, got into larger water and walleyes/trips to Canada but kids grew up, sold my boat and play a lot more golf. ****, I miss fishing!

Fly fishing for bass or northerns anything but boring, but still partial to a slip bobber diving under!

Memories . . . . . . .

My golfing buddy and go trout fishing every Saturday. Line in the water at sunrise, catch your limit and then get breakfast at a local family restaurant. Hit the practice range in the afternoon and have fresh trout for dinner. That’s as good as it gets.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,440 ClubWRX

It is awesome to watch somebody hit it long but the other day I was watching with my kids and the semi finals in the mens group had one guy not even get one in the grid after 8 attempts. My kids kept asking what he is doing, I couldnt really explain since he was not hitting it well enough to describe. I kept saying well he hooked it, or he pushed it or sliced it. Too funny. The Young kid with the long hair that he needs to cut is interesting to watch. The muscle bound guys with tight shirts and flat brimmed hats just crack me up watching them. All in all, it is interesting to watch.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 3:17pm #44

I competed in these a few years ago, Ok almost 8 years ago. It is impressive to watch guys swing that hard right next to them. I got out to 400 yards on my best and was not able to compete. That tells you the level of competition out there for this. If you are not over 200 MPH ball speed then you cannot compete. I was right at 190-195 at the time. Now I am right at 180, and getting slower. I would not say they are "good" golfers. When you hit the ball that far you do not have to be good. You just have to keep it in play and you will shoot in the mid 70s. Driver, flip wedge, couple of putts and move on. Drive a couple greens, and have 9 irons into par 5s tops. Good golfers do not do great at Long Drive. Technique kills speed. Plus look at how big all these guys are now. They truly do look like NFL linebackers. 6'3" over 200 pounds and actually have some mass.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these long drive guys are almost as big as that linebacker Koepka.

Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@BrandonDunes said:

@Titleist99 said:
    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

Yes. This was talked about on GC the other day in an interview with one of the guys. like anything the bigger your make the easier it will be to do full time. Between corporate outings, sponsorship money they can make some good cash

@GoGoErky said:

@Titleist99 said:

@BrandonDunes said:

@Titleist99 said:
    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

Yes. This was talked about on GC the other day in an interview with one of the guys. like anything the bigger your make the easier it will be to do full time. Between corporate outings, sponsorship money they can make some good cash

Jamie Sadwoski has been retired from it for 3 years I think now. He is still not doing any kind of regular job thing. So he is doing just fine riding out the long drive thing.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

@GoGoErky said:

@Titleist99 said:

@BrandonDunes said:

@Titleist99 said:

Jamie Sadwoski has been retired from it for 3 years I think now. He is still not doing any kind of regular job thing. So he is doing just fine riding out the long drive thing.

He has been giving the pro golfer thing a try and has a sponsorship deal with Cleveland and some others for shoes and apparel iirc

• jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GoGoErky said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@GoGoErky said:

@Titleist99 said:

@BrandonDunes said:

@Titleist99 said:

He has been giving the pro golfer thing a try and has a sponsorship deal with Cleveland and some others for shoes and apparel iirc

He should segue into acting. Those commercials with him made up as Grandpa Jamie were hilarious. Well, the first ones were before Peter Jacobsen got involved...

WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

enjoyed it!! Good to see a Crofton, Maryland kid win it!! They swing as hard as many amateurs on courses...reckless.. lol just more efficient swings.

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2019 1:39pm #51

This news probably more important than all of long drive

Breakout season...but legacy of a using a nuked driver. Hilarious

Cobra LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix SR Type C 70X 
    Callaway XR 3Deep (14*) - GD Tour AD TP-8X
    TM P790-UDI #2 (17.5*) | TP UDI #3 (20*) - Matrix Black Tie HM4 105X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Nike VR Forged (56DS) | Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    TM Spider Tour Black 35" - Ping blackout

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,350 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Im_A_Savage said:
    I'd rather watch a long drive competition over soccer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

THIS

G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

It's a lot better if you dvr it and fast forward through the b.s.

@tbowles411 said:

@Im_A_Savage said:

THIS

sacrilege my friend..

Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
  • buckeye440buckeye440 Members Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2019 3:33pm #55

@Titleist99 said:

@tiderider said:
    um, it's been a "thing" for quite some time ... this just in: this is america ... there are no 'conventional' acts ...

I know it's been around for quite some time....and I was born and raised right here in the Old U.S.A. Let me rephrase ...Is it cool now after the rebranding.....most guys look like weight lifters, except the guy with the long hair and there are more women Drivers.

It has been "cool" for 10+ years.

@Titleist99 said:

only in america do you see fist pumps with fishing... might add, 7M ain't half bad. Wish

Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*

@QuigleyDU said:
    I competed in these a few years ago, Ok almost 8 years ago. It is impressive to watch guys swing that hard right next to them. I got out to 400 yards on my best and was not able to compete. That tells you the level of competition out there for this. If you are not over 200 MPH ball speed then you cannot compete. I was right at 190-195 at the time. Now I am right at 180, and getting slower. I would not say they are "good" golfers. When you hit the ball that far you do not have to be good. You just have to keep it in play and you will shoot in the mid 70s. Driver, flip wedge, couple of putts and move on. Drive a couple greens, and have 9 irons into par 5s tops. Good golfers do not do great at Long Drive. Technique kills speed. Plus look at how big all these guys are now. They truly do look like NFL linebackers. 6'3" over 200 pounds and actually have some mass.

i thought you don't want big biceps nor feel your biceps in golf lol. Triceps on the other hand.. and dude has them the size of my legs.

Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was in a long drive contest about 18 years ago. Cost $5 and you got to hit 3 balls. The top 3 amateurs then went head to head against a pro long driver. Some of the big name guys were there. I absolutely nutted my third ball 310. They give me a sleeve of Pinnacles and said thanks for trying.

Many folks say nothing is more boring than watching golf...

• TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

David Mobley? Sadlowski? I don't agree that you can't be a good golfer just because you hit it unbelievably far. Are you saying it's not impressive to play to a plus handicap because you can hit it 400?

As far as technique the goal is different, these guys are pushing the limits of what is even possible. Looking at someone like Berkshire, his technique is really quite good outside the strange bouncing back and forth (which really just seems like a different form of waggle/trigger) and I think that shows in his consistency (just looked it up and he was playing to a +4 before long drive).

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind X100
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

@TLUBulldogGolf said:

@QuigleyDU said:

David Mobley? Sadlowski? I don't agree that you can't be a good golfer just because you hit it unbelievably far. Are you saying it's not impressive to play to a plus handicap because you can hit it 400?

As far as technique the goal is different, these guys are pushing the limits of what is even possible. Looking at someone like Berkshire, his technique is really quite good outside the strange bouncing back and forth (which really just seems like a different form of waggle/trigger) and I think that shows in his consistency (just looked it up and he was playing to a +4 before long drive).

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I was not and I am not saying that you "CANNOT" be a good player. I am sure that there are a handful that are good. I just don't think that "most" are good players. By good I am saying scratch or right around there. I would accept that there are a lot of give or take 8-10 handicap guys/girls.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file