GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

World Long Drive Championship.....Is it a thing now?

2
3

Comments

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1106WRX Points: 485Posts: 1,106 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #32

    I also see a couple of the golf channel announcers at some of the events....

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4368WRX Points: 1,636Posts: 4,368 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #33

    Did someone refer to Zuback as short and stocky? Since when was being built like a pharmaceutically enhanced body builder considered “stocky”? The guy is solid muscle.

    You will never question long drive after you’ve stood next to someone hitting a ball 210+ miles an hour. It makes a sound and flight like you’ve never seen and you’ll never see again. I’m a professional, can hit the driver 300+, and I can tell you that my “high” drives looked like 150 yard worm burners compared to Zuback when I hit balls next to him years ago. It was humiliating and I hit only wedges the rest of the time while he hit 400+ yard fades over and over again.

    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  29252WRX Points: 6,090Posts: 29,252 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 4, 2019 #34

    On -, @Bingo1976 said:

    They've managed to make bass fishing a thing, so why not some fat blokes hitting a ball into a grid

    Kevin VanDam, over 7MM in career earnings. (Not including endorsements!)

    Posted:
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7333WRX Points: 652Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,333 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #35

    Hummmm. One dude just hit one 454 on tonight’s competition.
    Ball speed north of 220. LOL! Nice.

    Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    PXG gen 1 tours 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1106WRX Points: 485Posts: 1,106 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #36

    LOL! …..and nothing is more boring than Bass Fishing. WOW! $7M in career earnings!

    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  29252WRX Points: 6,090Posts: 29,252 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #37

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    LOL! …..and nothing is more boring than Bass Fishing. WOW! $7M in career earnings!

    Boring?! Well, watching, maybe. But nothing beats a top water strike or a bass breaking surface ; )

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1106WRX Points: 485Posts: 1,106 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #38

    I suppose it would be like golf, once you experience it you get hooked (pun intended)…..LOL!

    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21666WRX Points: 5,668Posts: 21,666 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Sep 4, 2019 #39

    On -, @bscinstnct said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    LOL! …..and nothing is more boring than Bass Fishing. WOW! $7M in career earnings!

    Boring?! Well, watching, maybe. But nothing beats a top water strike or a bass breaking surface ; )

    Used to fish a ton, started out bass/panfish and farm ponds - when one of my grandpa's had a farm pond could spend all day down there. Moved to an area without farm ponds, got into larger water and walleyes/trips to Canada but kids grew up, sold my boat and play a lot more golf. ****, I miss fishing!

    Fly fishing for bass or northerns anything but boring, but still partial to a slip bobber diving under!

    Memories . . . . . . .

    Posted:
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers  1516WRX Points: 475Handicap: 8.3Posts: 1,516 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #40

    On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

    I'd rather watch a long drive competition over soccer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

    I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater than watch soccer.

    Posted:
    WITB:
    Ping G410 Plus 9
    Ping G400 14.5
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

    Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • playar32playar32 Unregistered  305WRX Points: 119Posts: 305 Greens
    Joined:  #41

    Looks like they have relatively smart people who know how to cater/package it to more of a social media event.

    Its not bad, not great, basically if you took one aspect from any other sport and tried to make it a thing. "Who can throw a football the farthest", yea that's cool, that doesn't automatically win you the super bowl.

    Posted:
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3470WRX Points: 496Handicap: 7.3Posts: 3,470 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #42

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Used to fish a ton, started out bass/panfish and farm ponds - when one of my grandpa's had a farm pond could spend all day down there. Moved to an area without farm ponds, got into larger water and walleyes/trips to Canada but kids grew up, sold my boat and play a lot more golf. ****, I miss fishing!

    Fly fishing for bass or northerns anything but boring, but still partial to a slip bobber diving under!

    Memories . . . . . . .

    My golfing buddy and go trout fishing every Saturday. Line in the water at sunrise, catch your limit and then get breakfast at a local family restaurant. Hit the practice range in the afternoon and have fresh trout for dinner. That’s as good as it gets.

    Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3750WRX Points: 244Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,750 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #43

    It is awesome to watch somebody hit it long but the other day I was watching with my kids and the semi finals in the mens group had one guy not even get one in the grid after 8 attempts. My kids kept asking what he is doing, I couldnt really explain since he was not hitting it well enough to describe. I kept saying well he hooked it, or he pushed it or sliced it. Too funny. The Young kid with the long hair that he needs to cut is interesting to watch. The muscle bound guys with tight shirts and flat brimmed hats just crack me up watching them. All in all, it is interesting to watch.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Callaway Epic SZ 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Callaway Subzero 18 Accra M5
    Callaway 3 iron Epic pro C taper 110
    Callaway 4 iron Epic pro C taper 110
    Callaway Apex Mb 5-PW 2016 C taper 110
    Callaway MD4 52/58  C taper 110
    Odyssey O Works Black #1
    Taylormade Tour preffered X/Titliest Pro V1X
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10641WRX Points: 3,765Handicap: 8Posts: 10,641 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Sep 4, 2019 #44

    I competed in these a few years ago, Ok almost 8 years ago. It is impressive to watch guys swing that hard right next to them. I got out to 400 yards on my best and was not able to compete. That tells you the level of competition out there for this. If you are not over 200 MPH ball speed then you cannot compete. I was right at 190-195 at the time. Now I am right at 180, and getting slower. I would not say they are "good" golfers. When you hit the ball that far you do not have to be good. You just have to keep it in play and you will shoot in the mid 70s. Driver, flip wedge, couple of putts and move on. Drive a couple greens, and have 9 irons into par 5s tops. Good golfers do not do great at Long Drive. Technique kills speed. Plus look at how big all these guys are now. They truly do look like NFL linebackers. 6'3" over 200 pounds and actually have some mass.


    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • getair23getair23 Members  2318WRX Points: 427Posts: 2,318 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #45

    Some of these long drive guys are almost as big as that linebacker Koepka.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
    Cobra F6 Baffler Elements Chrome 70-x
    Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
    Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
    Callaway PM Grind 64*
    SC Studio Design no. 2
    Pro V1
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2814WRX Points: 991Posts: 2,814 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #46

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @BrandonDunes said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

    Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

    But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

    Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

    Yes. This was talked about on GC the other day in an interview with one of the guys. like anything the bigger your make the easier it will be to do full time. Between corporate outings, sponsorship money they can make some good cash

    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10641WRX Points: 3,765Handicap: 8Posts: 10,641 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #47

    On -, @GoGoErky said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @BrandonDunes said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

    Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

    But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

    Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

    Yes. This was talked about on GC the other day in an interview with one of the guys. like anything the bigger your make the easier it will be to do full time. Between corporate outings, sponsorship money they can make some good cash

    Jamie Sadwoski has been retired from it for 3 years I think now. He is still not doing any kind of regular job thing. So he is doing just fine riding out the long drive thing.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2814WRX Points: 991Posts: 2,814 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #48

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    On -, @GoGoErky said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @BrandonDunes said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

    Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

    But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

    Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

    Yes. This was talked about on GC the other day in an interview with one of the guys. like anything the bigger your make the easier it will be to do full time. Between corporate outings, sponsorship money they can make some good cash

    Jamie Sadwoski has been retired from it for 3 years I think now. He is still not doing any kind of regular job thing. So he is doing just fine riding out the long drive thing.

    He has been giving the pro golfer thing a try and has a sponsorship deal with Cleveland and some others for shoes and apparel iirc

    Posted:
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers  1516WRX Points: 475Handicap: 8.3Posts: 1,516 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #49

    On -, @GoGoErky said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    On -, @GoGoErky said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @BrandonDunes said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    I can't get into it.....somebody help me.....LOL! I know that they are bringing in better looking women with tattoos….

    Yeah they have been recruiting women with tattoos to increase their image for some time now. Tattoos are cool so to answer your question it is definitely cool now.

    But, joking aside I enjoy watching it for many of the reasons above. Guys with side jobs that do WLD for a living. Will Hogue is a firefighter aside from WLD, not an easy gig and long hours in addition to practicing WLD. Every year they are pushing the distance further. The Grid/Conditions change from event to event. Not easy to swing 150mph, find the sweet spot, and hit a grid 50 yards wide. There is not much of a audience because you can barely see the ball travel that far. But, there is definitely a following although not very big because it is a niche audience.

    Are we getting to the point where as this takes off and the guys and gals can do this on a full time basis? Can they make a living with sponsors and clinics? Any thought on how to make it more mainstream...
    On a side note: This seems like something that NIKE would get involved with, to show some of their golf shoes and golf clothes.

    Yes. This was talked about on GC the other day in an interview with one of the guys. like anything the bigger your make the easier it will be to do full time. Between corporate outings, sponsorship money they can make some good cash

    Jamie Sadwoski has been retired from it for 3 years I think now. He is still not doing any kind of regular job thing. So he is doing just fine riding out the long drive thing.

    He has been giving the pro golfer thing a try and has a sponsorship deal with Cleveland and some others for shoes and apparel iirc

    He should segue into acting. Those commercials with him made up as Grandpa Jamie were hilarious. Well, the first ones were before Peter Jacobsen got involved...

    Posted:
    WITB:
    Ping G410 Plus 9
    Ping G400 14.5
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

    Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3706WRX Points: 704Posts: 3,706 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #50

    enjoyed it!! Good to see a Crofton, Maryland kid win it!! They swing as hard as many amateurs on courses...reckless.. lol just more efficient swings.

    Posted:
    SIM 10.5 Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

    Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

  • BearQBearQ Members  3667WRX Points: 855Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 5, 2019 #51

    This news probably more important than all of long drive

    Breakout season...but legacy of a using a nuked driver. Hilarious

    Posted:



  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25700WRX Points: 844Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,700 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #52

    On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

    I'd rather watch a long drive competition over soccer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

    THIS

    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)







  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members  369WRX Points: 81Posts: 369 Greens
    Joined:  #53

    It's a lot better if you dvr it and fast forward through the b.s.

    Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3706WRX Points: 704Posts: 3,706 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #54

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

    I'd rather watch a long drive competition over soccer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

    THIS

    sacrilege my friend..

    Posted:
    SIM 10.5 Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

    Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

  • buckeye440buckeye440 Members  399WRX Points: 318Posts: 399 Greens
    Joined:  edited Sep 5, 2019 #55

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @tiderider said:

    um, it's been a "thing" for quite some time ... this just in: this is america ... there are no 'conventional' acts ...

    I know it's been around for quite some time....and I was born and raised right here in the Old U.S.A. Let me rephrase ...Is it cool now after the rebranding.....most guys look like weight lifters, except the guy with the long hair and there are more women Drivers.

    It has been "cool" for 10+ years.

    Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3706WRX Points: 704Posts: 3,706 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #56

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    LOL! …..and nothing is more boring than Bass Fishing. WOW! $7M in career earnings!

    only in america do you see fist pumps with fishing... might add, 7M ain't half bad. Wish

    Posted:
    SIM 10.5 Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

    Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3706WRX Points: 704Posts: 3,706 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #57

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I competed in these a few years ago, Ok almost 8 years ago. It is impressive to watch guys swing that hard right next to them. I got out to 400 yards on my best and was not able to compete. That tells you the level of competition out there for this. If you are not over 200 MPH ball speed then you cannot compete. I was right at 190-195 at the time. Now I am right at 180, and getting slower. I would not say they are "good" golfers. When you hit the ball that far you do not have to be good. You just have to keep it in play and you will shoot in the mid 70s. Driver, flip wedge, couple of putts and move on. Drive a couple greens, and have 9 irons into par 5s tops. Good golfers do not do great at Long Drive. Technique kills speed. Plus look at how big all these guys are now. They truly do look like NFL linebackers. 6'3" over 200 pounds and actually have some mass.


    i thought you don't want big biceps nor feel your biceps in golf lol. Triceps on the other hand.. and dude has them the size of my legs.

    Posted:
    SIM 10.5 Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

    Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5044WRX Points: 864Posts: 5,044 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #58

    I was in a long drive contest about 18 years ago. Cost $5 and you got to hit 3 balls. The top 3 amateurs then went head to head against a pro long driver. Some of the big name guys were there. I absolutely nutted my third ball 310. They give me a sleeve of Pinnacles and said thanks for trying.

    Many folks say nothing is more boring than watching golf...

    Posted:
  • TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers  2492WRX Points: 157Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,492 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #59

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I competed in these a few years ago, Ok almost 8 years ago. It is impressive to watch guys swing that hard right next to them. I got out to 400 yards on my best and was not able to compete. That tells you the level of competition out there for this. If you are not over 200 MPH ball speed then you cannot compete. I was right at 190-195 at the time. Now I am right at 180, and getting slower. I would not say they are "good" golfers. When you hit the ball that far you do not have to be good. You just have to keep it in play and you will shoot in the mid 70s. Driver, flip wedge, couple of putts and move on. Drive a couple greens, and have 9 irons into par 5s tops. Good golfers do not do great at Long Drive. Technique kills speed. Plus look at how big all these guys are now. They truly do look like NFL linebackers. 6'3" over 200 pounds and actually have some mass.


    David Mobley? Sadlowski? I don't agree that you can't be a good golfer just because you hit it unbelievably far. Are you saying it's not impressive to play to a plus handicap because you can hit it 400?

    As far as technique the goal is different, these guys are pushing the limits of what is even possible. Looking at someone like Berkshire, his technique is really quite good outside the strange bouncing back and forth (which really just seems like a different form of waggle/trigger) and I think that shows in his consistency (just looked it up and he was playing to a +4 before long drive).

    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind PX 6.0
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10641WRX Points: 3,765Handicap: 8Posts: 10,641 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #60

    On -, @TLUBulldogGolf said:

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    I competed in these a few years ago, Ok almost 8 years ago. It is impressive to watch guys swing that hard right next to them. I got out to 400 yards on my best and was not able to compete. That tells you the level of competition out there for this. If you are not over 200 MPH ball speed then you cannot compete. I was right at 190-195 at the time. Now I am right at 180, and getting slower. I would not say they are "good" golfers. When you hit the ball that far you do not have to be good. You just have to keep it in play and you will shoot in the mid 70s. Driver, flip wedge, couple of putts and move on. Drive a couple greens, and have 9 irons into par 5s tops. Good golfers do not do great at Long Drive. Technique kills speed. Plus look at how big all these guys are now. They truly do look like NFL linebackers. 6'3" over 200 pounds and actually have some mass.


    David Mobley? Sadlowski? I don't agree that you can't be a good golfer just because you hit it unbelievably far. Are you saying it's not impressive to play to a plus handicap because you can hit it 400?

    As far as technique the goal is different, these guys are pushing the limits of what is even possible. Looking at someone like Berkshire, his technique is really quite good outside the strange bouncing back and forth (which really just seems like a different form of waggle/trigger) and I think that shows in his consistency (just looked it up and he was playing to a +4 before long drive).

    Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I was not and I am not saying that you "CANNOT" be a good player. I am sure that there are a handful that are good. I just don't think that "most" are good players. By good I am saying scratch or right around there. I would accept that there are a lot of give or take 8-10 handicap guys/girls.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.