Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mission accomplished

SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

I set two goals for myself this golf season: shoot a round under 80, and get my index down to single digits. I accomplished the first one about a month ago with a 77, though it was on an easier course than my home course. I've since broken 80 three times on my home course, shooting 79 twice and a 78.

That, as well as playing a lot of consistently good golf lately, has led my index to drop from a 15.3 on June 15 to a 25-year low of 8.6 (still trending downward) as of Sunday.

Comments

  • wickwosswickwoss Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

    Congrats! I had similar goals, but am still working on the index part. Hoping my current 12 can still go lower in the next few months.

  • HellstormHellstorm Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice. I remember the struggle to break 80 and once it finally happened it happened quite a bit. Now I am struggling to get close to 80 again.

  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm MassachusettsMembers Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congratulations! I see you’re from Massachusetts. What’s your home club? I’m in western Massachusetts.

  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

    @Moonlightgrm said:
    Congratulations! I see you’re from Massachusetts. What’s your home club? I’m in western Massachusetts.

    Country Club of Halifax. Just northwest of Plymouth.

  • Oett11Oett11 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

    Keep up the good work, big motivation for those that are on the fringe of cracking single digits. Short game is the key.

    Mizuno st 180~~ 9.5* Diamana D+ 70 x
    Mizuno st 180 3w 15* Ust Chrome 8f5t
    Cobra F8 hybrid 22* Rogue 85 stiff
    Cobra King Mb 5-pw kbs $taper 125
    Cleveland Rtx4 50/54 ti s400
    Taylormade mini spider 35

  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    did you have lessons recently, hence your improvements?

    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

    @Man_O_War said:
    did you have lessons recently, hence your improvements?

    Excellent point - I did, and it was a HUGE part of it. A few minor corrections from my club's head pro added up to significantly improved ball striking with better distance, dispersion, and consistency. My misses now are when I occasionally revert to doing what I was doing before the lessons, and it generally results in what I'd have considered a decent shot 3 months ago.

    Moral of the story, if you're struggling, find a pro/teacher you can work with. It has the potential to make a HUGE difference.

  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

    Just to clarify on that point about lessons, it's important that you find the right person to work with. When I first came back to the game about 4 years ago, I took a couple lessons to try to get myself back on track. The guy was a great teacher, very inventive in his teaching methods, very patient, really tried to find the right way to explain it to you. But his teaching style just wasn't for me - he had a tendency to really want to explain things in detail, and talked a lot. That works well for a lot of people, but not for me. I'm more of an iterative/trial and error learner.

    The pro I'm working with now is very succinct and to the point. He knows I'm an engineer, so he explains something once, briefly, in fairly technical terms. Then lets me try it. Tells me what I did right, what I did wrong, and has me do it again. Rinse and repeat until I get it right, and the "feel" is cemented in.

    Everyone has different learning styles, and everyone has different teaching styles. There is no right way/wrong way to teach or to learn. It's hugely important to find a pro/teacher who can tailor their teaching style to your learning style so you don't waste a lot of time and get frustrated.

  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @SecondandGoal said:
    Just to clarify on that point about lessons, it's important that you find the right person to work with. When I first came back to the game about 4 years ago, I took a couple lessons to try to get myself back on track. The guy was a great teacher, very inventive in his teaching methods, very patient, really tried to find the right way to explain it to you. But his teaching style just wasn't for me - he had a tendency to really want to explain things in detail, and talked a lot. That works well for a lot of people, but not for me. I'm more of an iterative/trial and error learner.

    The pro I'm working with now is very succinct and to the point. He knows I'm an engineer, so he explains something once, briefly, in fairly technical terms. Then lets me try it. Tells me what I did right, what I did wrong, and has me do it again. Rinse and repeat until I get it right, and the "feel" is cemented in.

    Everyone has different learning styles, and everyone has different teaching styles. There is no right way/wrong way to teach or to learn. It's hugely important to find a pro/teacher who can tailor their teaching style to your learning style so you don't waste a lot of time and get frustrated.

    this is why i really love watching the Mike Austin videos with Dunaway. Bless their souls. Very technical, yes but better for an engineer (me too) than a lot of chatter. Difficult game. Golf can't be just feel, it is also biomechanical with joints and muscles and so on so understanding basic anatomy helps a ton. Many PGA teachers out there teaching can't possibly know to the extent of a Mike Austin who studied Mechical Engineering, Kineseology etc. ALthough coordinating all with the brain is what they call "Feel" . What a game.

    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow congrats OP.. that was my goal for this year too.. I took lessons as well which really helped a lot, but still have not reached my goal yet.

    Are you playing more golf at from previous years?

  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats.

    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

    @TIM929 said:
    Wow congrats OP.. that was my goal for this year too.. I took lessons as well which really helped a lot, but still have not reached my goal yet.

    Are you playing more golf at from previous years?

    I've played more golf in the last two years than at any point in my life, and by a large margin. My wife took up the game in the spring of 2017, and really took to it. We joined a local club in fall of 2017, taking advantage of a "pay now for 2018, get the rest of this year free" offer.

    We are now at the course all the time. We moved last summer, and are just over a mile from the course (previously we were about 15 minutes away). I probably average 6+ days a week playing during the season. We go over almost every Monday and Tuesday after work (we both work from home), sometimes I'll head over early and play 9 before she comes over. Men's league night is Wednesday, 9 holes. Women's league night is Thursday, I'll usually play 18, sometimes 9 depending on timing, with some of the other guys whose wives play. Typical weekend is 18 holes on Friday (sometimes 27), Saturday and Sunday 18 holes in the morning with the guys, and another 9 or 18 in the afternoon with the wife.

    So yeah, I'm playing a ton of golf. I'll typically have at least 10-12 18-hole rounds in a revision cycle, which is why my index has been able to change so quickly.

  • vbbvbb Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats! Those are, and have been my two golf goals for at least the past 3 years. I'm still not there. At the last revision I was a 12.3 and although I've shot 80 four times I still haven't had the 79.

    I am more interested in getting to single digits though. That's an indication of consistently good golf over a period of time. At my regular course I have to be around an 84 at least half the time to get there.

    Cobra Bio Cell 10.5* stock (R) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport mallet
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great post. Congrats.

    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

    @vbb said:
    Congrats! Those are, and have been my two golf goals for at least the past 3 years. I'm still not there. At the last revision I was a 12.3 and although I've shot 80 four times I still haven't had the 79.

    I am more interested in getting to single digits though. That's an indication of consistently good golf over a period of time. At my regular course I have to be around an 84 at least half the time to get there.

    I'm with you 100%. Breaking 80 was the first goal, simply because it was easier. Getting the index down is a result of playing consistently good golf for a good stretch of time. Now I need to keep it there!

  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats, 15 to 8 is a HUGE change!

  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

    @larrybud said:
    Congrats, 15 to 8 is a HUGE change!

    Yeah, I didn't think there was a chance in **** it was going to happen, and was very discouraged with the way I was playing. That's when the wife got me a package of lessons as a father's day gift. Our club pro really helped tweak a couple things with my swing, my ball striking improved tremendously. When I knocked 3 points off over the course of the first two revisions, and was playing better every day, I realized it was a possibility to hit that goal this year.

    I guess the moral of the story is if you're struggling, get some outside help. I know it made a huge difference for me.

  • scottyc15scottyc15 HoustonMembers Posts: 46 ✭✭

    Well done!

    Taylormade M5 9 - Aldila Rogue White 130 70TX
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 - Aldila Tour Green 85TX
    Srixon Z U85 2 - DG TI X100
    Srixon Z 765 4-PW - DG TI X100
    Taylormade MG 52,56,60 - DG TI S400
    Taylormade Spider Limited

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file