Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Private Cart Trail Fee at a Semi-Private Course?

bhj83bhj83 Kansas CityMembers Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

TaylorMade '16 M1 Tour 8.5
Srixon F85 13.5 3W
Cobra King F6 Baffler 5W
Srixon Combo Set: 4-6 Z785, 7-PW Z Forged
Cleveland RTX 3 52, 58, 62
Evnroll ER7
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Hybrid Rangefinder
Linksouldier Golf Bag

Comments

• YoungJediYoungJedi Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t sweat it. Case closed

Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    PXG 0311X gen2 DARKNESS 2 iron w/ Tensei pro 70g hybrid S
    PXG 0311x gen1 DARKNESS 4 iron w/ kbs $taper S
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F/58D w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    Custom Bettinardi BB0 - RJB022885
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of public courses won't allow it at all. It may be an insurance issue. Unfortunately, I think it is something you have to live with.

• ryder2015ryder2015 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

Pretty common around my area. 2 courses I know of that allow private carts charge a trail fee and one I know of requires you buy a cart from them that matches their fleet plus a trail fee

• BKN1964BKN1964 Members Posts: 997 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can try negotiating with them. If that doesn't work: Don't pay the fee. Drive your cart to the course, park it, and use one of their carts. No sense putting wear-and-tear on your cart if they're charging you anyway.

• SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have been a member of two semi-private clubs. One in each of the two cities I have lived in over the past 30 years. I would suggest, semi-private doesn't always mean "public." At least not at the two clubs I have been associated with. They both limit non-member play to only a handful of times per calendar year and further restrict to only allow weekday, twilight and non-holiday times. And almost never allow peak season, peak hour or weekend play from non-members. In both instances, the "semi-private" label was a requirement for gaining permitting from the local government in order to build the course many years ago. It gave the local government something to use in an effort to help attract visitors to the area.

As for the "trail fee" for privately owned carts. It's largely an insurance issue. If your privately owned cart damages a car in the parking lot, golf course or a club owned cart, they at least have some restitution.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bhj83 said:
    Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

Trail fees are common but usually at places that don't include a cart in their green fees.

• bhj83bhj83 Kansas CityMembers Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Roadking2003 said:

@bhj83 said:

Trail fees are common but usually at places that don't include a cart in their green fees.

Right, I'm aware of that. It just seems odd to have to pay more than a member who uses the courses carts. I guess I can understand the insurance piece but I also have the option to get my own insurance on my cart. It is actually less than $500 a year.

Srixon F85 13.5 3W
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5W
    Evnroll ER7
    Titleist ProV1X
    Linksouldier Golf Bag
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2019 8:32pm #9

@bhj83 said:

@Roadking2003 said:

@bhj83 said:

Right, I'm aware of that. It just seems odd to have to pay more than a member who uses the courses carts. I guess I can understand the insurance piece but I also have the option to get my own insurance on my cart. It is actually less than $500 a year.

I may be in the minority, and I'm speaking in gross generalizations. I have no problem with charging for the extra cart fee. These private carts IMO have a negative impact on the course.

1. Often they are parked wherever for hours on end. Parking lot, in front of the bag drop, sideways in the putting green parking.... you get my drift.
    2. They often are part of 5 some money games. Not unusual to see 5 private carts in a group. Rarely do the courses carts get used like this. This is a lot of wear and tear on the course (often seen near the green complexes past signs inviting to take the path)
    3. They are very quick and get driven as such. Often cutting through playing groups to find the shortest route to the clubhouse.
    4. Their speakers are often loud enough to be heard a hole away

Now, perhaps you may say these are all issues to be policed by the club and to set firm rules......I agree, but said policing cost time and money... If a course cart is utilized inappropriately a staff member can simply move it or restrict usage. No such luck with a private cart......Pay the fee, enjoy your private cart.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@vallygolf said:

I may be in the minority, and I'm speaking in gross generalizations. I have no problem with charging for the extra cart fee. These private carts IMO have a negative impact on the course.

1. Often they are parked wherever for hours on end. Parking lot, in front of the bag drop, sideways in the putting green parking.... you get my drift.
    2. They often are part of 5 some money games. Not unusual to see 5 private carts in a group. Rarely do the courses carts get used like this. This is a lot of wear and tear on the course (often seen near the green complexes past signs inviting to take the path)
    3. They are very quick and get driven as such. Often cutting through playing groups to find the shortest route to the clubhouse.

Now, perhaps you may say these are all issues to be policed by the club and to set firm rules......I agree, but said policing cost time and money... If a course cart is utilized inappropriately a staff member can simply move it or restrict usage. No such luck with a private cart......Pay the fee, enjoy your private cart.

And yet, a $500 fee resolves none of the above.

• bhj83bhj83 Kansas CityMembers Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smashdn said:

@vallygolf said:

And yet, a $500 fee resolves none of the above.

Except maybe make those people feel more entitled to do whatever they want because they paid extra 🤷‍♂️

Srixon F85 13.5 3W
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5W
    Evnroll ER7
    Titleist ProV1X
    Linksouldier Golf Bag
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I suppose.

But if your gonna be a doosh with your cart and run up too close to greens etc, you are going to be one with the rental carts too most likely. Maybe there should be a doosh fee for putting up with these folks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file