Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

A tour caddie with a push cart?

short and straightshort and straight Members Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

Just had a thought: when will we see a tour caddie with a push cart? There's obviously the macho barrier preventing anyone from wanting to look too weak to carry that giant bag, but is there a rule prohibiting it? It would make their lives easier with no obvious downside, and I would think it would open the floodgates for new sponsorships from clicgear and bagboy, etc. Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Taylormade M6 Driver (Paderson Kinetixx Velocity Shaft)
Taylormade Jetspeed 4 wood (16.5 deg) and 22 hybrid (Matrix Velox)
Callaway Apex CF19 4-P (KBS Tour 90)
Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 raw finish (KBS Tour 90)
Toulon Atlanta H4 slant neck

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,402 ClubWRX

Do Tour rules allow that as an option?

• stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hawkeye77 said:
    Do Tour rules allow that as an option?

I don’t know, but I don’t know why not? Caddie stamina really isn’t part of the scoring equation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@short and straight said:
    It would make their lives easier with no obvious downside, and I would think it would open the floodgates for new sponsorships from clicgear and bagboy, etc. Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Not just sponsorships from the cart companies but think of all that real estate where they could slap other logos.

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered when we'd see someone carry/push their own bag and play without a caddie. Players try to forego managers and agents to avoid paying a percentage, I could imagine foregoing a caddy.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mych said:
    I've always wondered when we'd see someone carry/push their own bag and play without a caddie. Players try to forego managers and agents to avoid paying a percentage, I could imagine foregoing a caddy.

Pretty certain the PGA Tour rules requires the use of a caddie.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mych said:

I believe the Tour has a rule requiring a caddie.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,919 mod

Caddies with push/pull carts will happen eventually but probably not soon enough - it's ridiculous the amount of crap they've got to carry, even those who are fortunate enough to have a dual strap.

WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:
    Caddies with push/pull carts will happen eventually but probably not soon enough - it's ridiculous the amount of crap they've got to carry, even those who are fortunate enough to have a dual strap.

I think it’s a positive sign that some guys are starting to go with lighter-weight carry/stand bags, Rickie Fowler among them.

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic
  • 3whacker3whacker Members Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

just a matter of time till we see the type of carts the guys and gals used at the NCAA's ...my guess less than five years...maybe even three

• PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@farmer said:
    If Fluff Cowan can still carry that monster bag, there is no excuse for a young guy using a cart. He's 100 and smokes.

I saw Fluff after carrying 18 holes at Muirfield Village during a practice round and he looked like he barely made that day. That was 5 years ago.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

clicgear for the win

• aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can see pro caddies using push carts in the near future. It makes sense for a lot of caddies to use one. You see push carts trickling into college golf. Stanford coach was supporting push carts because he felt it would save energy during tournaments.

• MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't allowed to
    If they were we would see them out there

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bags are not that heavy. It’s does not really require very much energy to carry one.

As for the advertising logic. The cart would really reduce the available space to advertise. And Clic gear and bag boy prob have mini tour money for marketing, not really PGA tour bag deal money

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nard_S said:
    Honestly, if we are that sissified that caddies need a cart, let's just quit all of it and pass me a pistol.

There is no hope man.

Having an 11 year old boy , who I force to actually work at home , get good grades and play outside. lol. He and those of his age up to around 25 or 30 are constantly looking for a “ hack” as they call it. Which is code for a lazy way out. I rail against it everyday. Their hacks generally take twice as long once you take the time to do it over the right way.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2019 10:21pm #20

@bladehunter said:

@Nard_S said:
    Honestly, if we are that sissified that caddies need a cart, let's just quit all of it and pass me a pistol.

There is no hope man.

Having an 11 year old boy , who I force to actually work at home , get good grades and play outside. lol. He and those of his age up to around 25 or 30 are constantly looking for a “ hack” as they call it. Which is code for a lazy way out. I rail against it everyday. Their hacks generally take twice as long once you take the time to do it over the right way.

I hear you. Once I was at a dinner party but it got sidelined. Host and I had to go help change a tire on a car. There were two 20 year old boys as passengers in it............I was disgusted.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nard_S said:

@bladehunter said:

@Nard_S said:

There is no hope man.

I hear you. Once I was at a dinner party but it got sidelined. Host and I had to go help change a tire on a car. There were two 20 year old boys passengers in it............I was disgusted.

lol. That made me actually chuckle. “ go ahead guys .... hand em over .... I hear by confiscate your man card until such time as you can pass a basic competency test to get it back “.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t imagine the amount of heat the first caddie on the pga tour to show up with a pushcart would take from his peers. That would be humiliating.

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nard_S said:

@bladehunter said:

@Nard_S said:

There is no hope man.

I hear you. Once I was at a dinner party but it got sidelined. Host and I had to go help change a tire on a car. There were two 20 year old boys as passengers in it............I was disgusted.

I'm disgusted you actually did it. Thats why they can get away with it.

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@Nard_S said:

There is no hope man.

Depends on the boy. Got 12 yr old who's hack is hacking weeds and etc.

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gsea33 said:

@Nard_S said:

@bladehunter said:

@Nard_S said:

There is no hope man.

I'm disgusted you actually did it. Thats why they can get away with it.

It was dead winter and snowing hard. It was the host's daughter who was driving. What Father does not go to their girl in distress?

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CCTxGolf said:
    The bags are not that heavy. It’s does not really require very much energy to carry one.

As for the advertising logic. The cart would really reduce the available space to advertise. And Clic gear and bag boy prob have mini tour money for marketing, not really PGA tour bag deal money

I would guess fully loaded ~40lbs. Not that heavy, also not that light. But if resort caddies can carry 2 stand bags, 1 staff bag should be doable.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,295 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Caddies be replace by AI earpiece and an

Uber cart.

AI is already rivaling medical experts in cancer detection. You think it can’t advise club selection on an approach shot?

Bryson prolly looking into this as we speak ; )

• EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PZero said:

@farmer said:
    If Fluff Cowan can still carry that monster bag, there is no excuse for a young guy using a cart. He's 100 and smokes.

I saw Fluff after carrying 18 holes at Muirfield Village during a practice round and he looked like he barely made that day. That was 5 years ago.

Fluff’s bag (and the contents therein) is surprisingly light for a Tour bag.

• jobinjobin Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

On the Asian Tour, probably the Korean and Japanese Tours also, when shown on TV, many caddies are seen pulling trolleys. I believe i've also seen caddies with trolleys on the European Tour when events played in Asia or Africa.
    More women also seen as caddies on Euro and other tours. Caddies MANDATORY for all golfers in Thailand, and none carry bags (mostly young females but some young men too).

• iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On the Japanese Tour, a lot of the local caddies who are usually women use a push cart.

Think of the lower back problems that can be avoided :lol:

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 1:29pm #31

@bladehunter said:

@Nard_S said:

There is no hope man.

A hack can also be viewed as working smarter not harder. If we refused tools that make our jobs/lives easier, we'd still be living like it was the early 1900's. Sure lazy is bad but being innovative and finding more efficient ways to accomplish a task, making it safer is a good thing, isn't it?

Maybe Bones wouldn't have needed a double knee replacement if he wheeled a 30lb bag around for years instead of carrying. Smarter not harder isn't a bad thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file