Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Chrome Soft quality issues

stevepozstevepoz Members Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2019/9/3/callaway-investing-50-million-into-its-ball-plant-after-****-exposes-issues#commenting=

Just saw this story and didn’t see it on here. I wonder how wide-spread the problem was/is?

Comments

• ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

This has been discussed in the sitethatshallnotbenamed ball test discussion.

TaylorMade M6 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Black
    TaylorMade M6 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 3 & 4 - KBS Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ
    TaylorMade Milled Grind HI-TOE 56 & 60 - KBS HI-REV 2.0
    TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Was mentioned in the ball discussion thread about the **** study & they reported that several days ago when Callaway was at their facility, shackelford not breaking any news

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are a click bait site. That being said, I found a CS in my sons shag bag. He wanted to cut it open...

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2019 4:54am #6

@Hack Daddy said:
    I think they are a click bait site. That being said, I found a CS in my sons shag bag. He wanted to cut it open...

I despise M G S. But that doesn't change the fact Callaway is investing $50 million into their ball production to fix issues they have with the QC of their golf balls because of the findings of M G S ball test.

• QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the issue common to the CS X as well or just the CS?

Srixon z785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0
    Callaway Flash 13.5 65 S EvenFlo
    Cobra 2,3,4 Hybrids PX
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, Titleist AVX

So where is the 50 mil going?!

/rollseyes

TP5X
  • rwbloom93rwbloom93 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

@grm24 said:

@Hack Daddy said:

I despise M G S. But that doesn't change the fact Callaway is investing $50 million into their ball production to fix issues they have with the QC of their golf balls because of the findings of M G S ball test.

I didn't think MY-GOLF-IDIOTS found the QC issue, I thought a different party sent the information and they published the pictures. Yes?

@rwbloom93 said:

@grm24 said:

@Hack Daddy said:

I didn't think MY-GOLF-IDIOTS found the QC issue, I thought a different party sent the information and they published the pictures. Yes?

Yes, this was the post that set it in motion. The original poster is tagged.

TP5X
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭

@rwbloom93 said:

@grm24 said:

@Hack Daddy said:

They found some strange behaviors when doing their ball test. Balls having a spin axis that was way off where it should be based on the delivery conditions of a robot. They reached out to some people with experience in the design and manufacture of golf balls (my guess is Dean Snell and/or people at Titleist who they seem to have a good relationship with). Those people told them off center cores would cause the jumping spin axis and cover defects would cause curvature with no change to spin axis. I also am pretty sure those people told them off the record that Callaway was known in the industry for having some QC issues with centering their cores.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@arbeck said:

@rwbloom93 said:

@grm24 said:

@Hack Daddy said:

They found some strange behaviors when doing their ball test. Balls having a spin axis that was way off where it should be based on the delivery conditions of a robot. They reached out to some people with experience in the design and manufacture of golf balls (my guess is Dean Snell and/or people at Titleist who they seem to have a good relationship with). Those people told them off center cores would cause the jumping spin axis and cover defects would cause curvature with no change to spin axis. I also am pretty sure those people told them off the record that Callaway was known in the industry for having some QC issues with centering their cores.

Bridgestone also confirmed the same things in some social media posts replies

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

No doubt callaway has huge issues just looking at that pic. But it is funny to see the other ball manufacturers chime in.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• IsaundersIsaunders Carstairs, ABMembers Posts: 27 ✭✭

I don't think you would truly be able to feel or see flight difference in the ball with a slightly off centre core

• nad12nad12 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. If the QA dept is allowing a ball, that is off centered to the degree in the pic, to be available for public consumption then that has made me question my use of that manufacturers balls. Not just that ball but all models by that manufacturer.
    Maybe I'll stick with srixon or Bridgestone.

• Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Theres really no way to know how widespread it is. The only way to know is to cut the ball open and see if the core is off center. As for the other manufacurers chiming in, wouldnt you if you were them? If you can take a shot at Callaway and convince people to use your ball instead of their's, youd be a fool not to.
    Ive personally never been all that impressed with Callaway balls (the CS is fine but nothing special) but the proof of their QC issues was enough for me to write them off and the fact that Callaway is investing money in improving their ball production is proof that the incidents of offcenter cores that people have proof of isnt a fluke.
    You can dislike that other site if you want but I appreciate them putting the truth out there and saying what much of the rest of the media wont.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file