GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Chrome Soft quality issues

stevepoz ·  
stevepozstevepoz Members  308WRX Points: 60Posts: 308 Greens

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2019/9/3/callaway-investing-50-million-into-its-ball-plant-after-****-exposes-issues#commenting=

Just saw this story and didn’t see it on here. I wonder how wide-spread the problem was/is?

Posted:

Comments

• ASN21ASN21 G.O.A.T. Bay AreaMembers  579WRX Points: 419Posts: 579 Golden Tee

This has been discussed in the sitethatshallnotbenamed ball test discussion.

Posted:

Golf game powered by SQAIRZ & TaylorMade.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2808WRX Points: 986Posts: 2,808 Titanium Tees

Was mentioned in the ball discussion thread about the **** study & they reported that several days ago when Callaway was at their facility, shackelford not breaking any news

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4639WRX Points: 1,655Posts: 4,639 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members  1109WRX Points: 342Posts: 1,109 Platinum Tees

I think they are a click bait site. That being said, I found a CS in my sons shag bag. He wanted to cut it open...

Posted:
    Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green Anniversary 65TX
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green 75X
    Nike VR Pro Combo 2-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4639WRX Points: 1,655Posts: 4,639 Titanium Tees

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

I think they are a click bait site. That being said, I found a CS in my sons shag bag. He wanted to cut it open...

I despise M G S. But that doesn't change the fact Callaway is investing $50 million into their ball production to fix issues they have with the QC of their golf balls because of the findings of M G S ball test.

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1857WRX Points: 296Handicap: ?Posts: 1,857 Platinum Tees

Do you really think that, prior to golf balls being cut was a cool thing, that any of you would have noticed a difference in core thickness and uneven layers? I say no.
    Good for them to own in and work at "fixing" their product. I'm hoping they revamp their Truvis line and give the yellow balls more options and more love.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members  967WRX Points: 132Handicap: ?Posts: 967 Golden Tee

Is the issue common to the CS X as well or just the CS?

Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5 Miyazaki Kuala 5544
    Callaway Epic 13.5 3W Diamana S 
    Taylormade 5W SIM Diamana R Limited Edition
    Callaway Maverick 3, 4 
    Srixon z785 6-PW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Highway 101 Limited Edition
    TP5X, Pro V1

So where is the 50 mil going?!

/rollseyes

Posted:
    TP5X
  • rwbloom93rwbloom93 Members  27WRX Points: 18Posts: 27 Bunkers

On -, @grm24 said:

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

I despise M G S. But that doesn't change the fact Callaway is investing $50 million into their ball production to fix issues they have with the QC of their golf balls because of the findings of M G S ball test.

I didn't think MY-GOLF-IDIOTS found the QC issue, I thought a different party sent the information and they published the pictures. Yes?

Posted:

On -, @rwbloom93 said:

On -, @grm24 said:

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

I didn't think MY-GOLF-IDIOTS found the QC issue, I thought a different party sent the information and they published the pictures. Yes?

Yes, this was the post that set it in motion. The original poster is tagged.

Posted:
    TP5X
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1857WRX Points: 296Handicap: ?Posts: 1,857 Platinum Tees

If Callaway sells all the faulty products discounted, I'll grab them.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  697WRX Points: 388Handicap: 14.5Posts: 697 Golden Tee

On -, @rwbloom93 said:

On -, @grm24 said:

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

They found some strange behaviors when doing their ball test. Balls having a spin axis that was way off where it should be based on the delivery conditions of a robot. They reached out to some people with experience in the design and manufacture of golf balls (my guess is Dean Snell and/or people at Titleist who they seem to have a good relationship with). Those people told them off center cores would cause the jumping spin axis and cover defects would cause curvature with no change to spin axis. I also am pretty sure those people told them off the record that Callaway was known in the industry for having some QC issues with centering their cores.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2808WRX Points: 986Posts: 2,808 Titanium Tees

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @rwbloom93 said:

On -, @grm24 said:

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

They found some strange behaviors when doing their ball test. Balls having a spin axis that was way off where it should be based on the delivery conditions of a robot. They reached out to some people with experience in the design and manufacture of golf balls (my guess is Dean Snell and/or people at Titleist who they seem to have a good relationship with). Those people told them off center cores would cause the jumping spin axis and cover defects would cause curvature with no change to spin axis. I also am pretty sure those people told them off the record that Callaway was known in the industry for having some QC issues with centering their cores.

Bridgestone also confirmed the same things in some social media posts replies

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,193Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

No doubt callaway has huge issues just looking at that pic. But it is funny to see the other ball manufacturers chime in.

Posted:
  • IsaundersIsaunders Carstairs, ABMembers  76WRX Points: 39Handicap: 3Posts: 76 Fairways

I don't think you would truly be able to feel or see flight difference in the ball with a slightly off centre core

Posted:
  • nad12nad12 Members  276WRX Points: 45Posts: 276 Greens

Wow. If the QA dept is allowing a ball, that is off centered to the degree in the pic, to be available for public consumption then that has made me question my use of that manufacturers balls. Not just that ball but all models by that manufacturer.
    Maybe I'll stick with srixon or Bridgestone.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Zen_GolferZen_Golfer Columbus, OHMembers  365WRX Points: 235Handicap: 10Posts: 365 Greens

Theres really no way to know how widespread it is. The only way to know is to cut the ball open and see if the core is off center. As for the other manufacurers chiming in, wouldnt you if you were them? If you can take a shot at Callaway and convince people to use your ball instead of their's, youd be a fool not to.
    Ive personally never been all that impressed with Callaway balls (the CS is fine but nothing special) but the proof of their QC issues was enough for me to write them off and the fact that Callaway is investing money in improving their ball production is proof that the incidents of offcenter cores that people have proof of isnt a fluke.
    You can dislike that other site if you want but I appreciate them putting the truth out there and saying what much of the rest of the media wont.

Posted:
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX  2279WRX Points: 306Handicap: 15Posts: 2,279 ClubWRX

There is no way for us to tell, but the fact that people, including my self have cut open random balls to find them off center, says the issue is large. It was not like I took a dozen balls, cut them open and found 1 with a bad. This was one random ball (actually 2 I had 1 white and 1 yellow), that I had laying around, from different batches. I didn't check any others from the dozen. What's the likelihood of finding the first ball you cut from a dozen to be off? To me means that a high percentage, if no all of the dozen were off.

Posted:

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6 S, TM M5, 13*, MC Diamana Thump 75 S
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 119,  19* & 22*, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85S+
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2, 55* & 60*, Accra 80i
    Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2 blacked out, KBS CT Tour, 355g, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0
    Ball: Maxfli Tour
    Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: SkyCaddie SX400/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.