Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Tour to implement driver testing

2»

Comments

• ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,501 ClubWRX

Here’s the Phil spike story...
    https://www.espn.com/golf/masters05/news/story?id=2033103

I heard it from Phil’s own mouth Vijay getting his driver checked...he said it so it’s not a debate..
    I don’t remember the tournament but Phil was peeved...he said Vijay had done it before...maybe tiger...I don’t remember but i specifically remember Phil being livid about it

-Chris

@grm24 said:

**> I am a huge Vijay fan...

But he once called in during the telecast after his round was over and made a formal complaint about Phil’s driver.
    He said Phil was outhitting him by 30 yards.
    Phil’s driver was tested and found to be not only conforming but actually well below the COR requirements..**

Where and when did this actually happen? If it did take place it would have been talked about forever. Are you confusing stories? Reason I ask is that VJs buddy Tom Pernice after watching Tiger at Doral bomb it asked to have Tigers driver tested and it came back okay. I referenced it earlier in this thread. In case you missed it. Seems like you got your story/players crossed.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/associated-press/pga-tour-tests-tigers-driver

Woods gave the club to caddie Steve Williams, who took it to the tournament office to be tested. The limit for coefficient of restitution -- otherwise known as springlike effect for those without a degree in physics -- is 0.83. The results don't show a number, only whether the driver passed or failed.

'It wasn't even close,' Woods said. 'I'm well below the speed limit. The hotter it gets, the more I cut it. I can't control the ball if it's coming off the face that fast.'

_Turns out it was Tom Pernice Jr., and the source of his concern was some drives Woods hit in the final round at Doral during that great duel against Mickelson. One drive, on the par-5 eighth hole, was 44 yards longer than Lefty's.

Pernice was not at Doral. Woods says the last time they played together was in 2003.

'I was watching on TV and Phil hits it out there pretty good,' Pernice said Tuesday. 'I knew it was a new driver, and he was hitting it 25 yards past Phil. Nothing against Tiger. I was just surprised how far he was hitting it past Phil.

The development gets even more interesting considering that Pernice is best friends with Vijay Singh and has been critical of Woods over the last six months -- the best zinger coming at Pebble Beach when Pernice said Woods wasn't doing enough for tour sponsors.
    _

Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Christosterone said:

I heard it from Phil’s own mouth Vijay getting his driver checked...he said it so it’s not a debate..
    I don’t remember the tournament but Phil was peeved...he said Vijay had done it before...maybe tiger...I don’t remember but i specifically remember Phil being livid about it

-Chris

@grm24 said:

But he once called in during the telecast after his round was over and made a formal complaint about Phil’s driver.
    Phil’s driver was tested and found to be not only conforming but actually well below the COR requirements..**

Where and when did this actually happen? If it did take place it would have been talked about forever. Are you confusing stories? Reason I ask is that VJs buddy Tom Pernice after watching Tiger at Doral bomb it asked to have Tigers driver tested and it came back okay. I referenced it earlier in this thread. In case you missed it. Seems like you got your story/players crossed.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/associated-press/pga-tour-tests-tigers-driver

Woods gave the club to caddie Steve Williams, who took it to the tournament office to be tested. The limit for coefficient of restitution -- otherwise known as springlike effect for those without a degree in physics -- is 0.83. The results don't show a number, only whether the driver passed or failed.

'It wasn't even close,' Woods said. 'I'm well below the speed limit. The hotter it gets, the more I cut it. I can't control the ball if it's coming off the face that fast.'

_Turns out it was Tom Pernice Jr., and the source of his concern was some drives Woods hit in the final round at Doral during that great duel against Mickelson. One drive, on the par-5 eighth hole, was 44 yards longer than Lefty's.

Pernice was not at Doral. Woods says the last time they played together was in 2003.

'I was watching on TV and Phil hits it out there pretty good,' Pernice said Tuesday. 'I knew it was a new driver, and he was hitting it 25 yards past Phil. Nothing against Tiger. I was just surprised how far he was hitting it past Phil.

The development gets even more interesting considering that Pernice is best friends with Vijay Singh and has been critical of Woods over the last six months -- the best zinger coming at Pebble Beach when Pernice said Woods wasn't doing enough for tour sponsors.
    _

I know the spike story. It was well publicized. I'm not questioning that. Nice deflection. Permice was being a lap dog for his buddy VJ. As for the rest of it I'm not buying any of it. Why? Because VJ told me it's not true. He said it so it's not a debate. See how easy it is to play that game?

• ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,501 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 7, 2019 7:46pm #34

I’m not debating you.
    Despite your attempt to do so.
    I have no need to prove my point to you...
    Was simply telling a true story..
    Believe it or don’t.
    But I don’t suffer the protestations of internet commenters.
    It’s a useless waste of time..
    I didn’t even realize we were in a debate...
    I’m sure you're a blast to be around.

-Chris

@grm24 said:

@Christosterone said:

-Chris

@grm24 said:

_

I know the spike story. It was well publicized. I'm not questioning that. Nice deflection. Permice was being a lap dog for his buddy VJ. As for the rest of it I'm not buying any of it. Why? Because VJ told me it's not true. He said it so it's not a debate. See how easy it is to play that game?

Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm a tour player I autograph a yellow driver and put it up on eBay.

TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX (yellow)
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Christosterone said:
    I’m not debating you.
    Despite your attempt to do so.
    I have no need to prove my point to you...
    Was simply telling a true story..
    Believe it or don’t.
    But I don’t suffer the protestations of internet commenters.
    It’s a useless waste of time..
    I didn’t even realize we were in a debate...
    I’m sure you're a blast to be around.

-Chris

@grm24 said:

@Christosterone said:

-Chris

@grm24 said:

_

LOL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file