GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Boston area golf

 favre0811 ·  
favre0811favre0811 Members  137WRX Points: 86Posts: 137 Fairways
Joined:  in Courses, Memberships and Travel #1

Going to be in Boston end of September and have a day I can either play golf or visit some golf stores. Will not bring my clubs so will be renting, but wanted to know if there are any suggestions on either a course I just need to play or stores that are a must to visit? Or a course that has a great pro shop where you can also test clubs on the range?

Thanks, Mike...

Posted:
1

Comments

  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6273WRX Points: 312Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,273 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    Have you checked the New England forum?

    Posted:
    Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  462WRX Points: 263Handicap: 10.3Posts: 462 Greens
    Joined:  edited Sep 9, 2019 #3

    On -, @Imp said:

    Have you checked the New England forum?

    Won't find much there, it's pretty dead.

    There really aren't any stores that are special enough to be worth visiting. PGA Tour Superstore just opened stores both north and south of the city. But it's just another PGATSS.

    As far as golf, happy to give some recommendations, but need some info. Are you actually staying in the city, or outside the city? How far are you willing to drive to get to a course?

    Just south of the city is Granite Links. Expensive at $150 for 18, but immaculate conditions and a fun layout with a great view of the city, though it's got more blind shots than I personally like. Great practice area, great dining/drinking options, and on reasonably warm nights, the lighted range basically turns into a singles club.

    Right in the city itself, George Wright is a classic Donald Ross course, considered one of the best examples of his work in the country. They keep it in good shape for a muni, and the prices are reasonable.

    There are a few private/semi private courses that you can get on through GolfNow 20-40 minutes south of the city (including Country Club of Halifax, my home course, which is fantastic).

    Depending on time of day, Pinehills in Plymouth is 45 minutes or so south, and has an awesome practice area and clubhouse. The Nicklaus course is more difficult than the Jones course, just incredibly punishing if you miss a green.

    Posted:
  • favre0811favre0811 Members  137WRX Points: 86Posts: 137 Fairways
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @SecondandGoal said:

    On -, @Imp said:

    Have you checked the New England forum?

    Won't find much there, it's pretty dead.

    There really aren't any stores that are special enough to be worth visiting. PGA Tour Superstore just opened stores both north and south of the city. But it's just another PGATSS.

    As far as golf, happy to give some recommendations, but need some info. Are you actually staying in the city, or outside the city? How far are you willing to drive to get to a course?

    Just south of the city is Granite Links. Expensive at $150 for 18, but immaculate conditions and a fun layout with a great view of the city, though it's got more blind shots than I personally like. Great practice area, great dining/drinking options, and on reasonably warm nights, the lighted range basically turns into a singles club.

    Right in the city itself, George Wright is a classic Donald Ross course, considered one of the best examples of his work in the country. They keep it in good shape for a muni, and the prices are reasonable.

    There are a few private/semi private courses that you can get on through GolfNow 20-40 minutes south of the city (including Country Club of Halifax, my home course, which is fantastic).

    Depending on time of day, Pinehills in Plymouth is 45 minutes or so south, and has an awesome practice area and clubhouse. The Nicklaus course is more difficult than the Jones course, just incredibly punishing if you miss a green.

    Perfect, thanks. I will be staying in downtown Boston, and might just take an Uber to one of the courses you mention. I am from Sweden, and try and take the opportunity to play golf when I can in different places. I will look into your home course and see if I can make it happen.

    Posted:
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  462WRX Points: 263Handicap: 10.3Posts: 462 Greens
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @favre0811 said:

    Perfect, thanks. I will be staying in downtown Boston, and might just take an Uber to one of the courses you mention. I am from Sweden, and try and take the opportunity to play golf when I can in different places. I will look into your home course and see if I can make it happen.

    That's great, I love to play wherever I travel.

    If you're staying in the city, it would be a really expensive Uber to get to my home course, it's about 45 minutes south of the city. If you do happen to figure out a way to make it work, shoot me a PM, maybe I can join you.

    There is an indoor golf/simulator facility right in the Financial District called City Golf Boston. I've never been, but some of my coworkers have told me it's nice.

    Not sure how they are with rental clubs, but especially where you're visiting from Sweden, I'd strongly recommend trying to play George Wright. It's right in the city, so easy to get to by Uber. It's considered by golf historians to be the quintessential Donald Ross design. It was one of his later courses, and incorporates almost all of the design elements he's best known for.

    Posted:
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX  717WRX Points: 116Handicap: +1Posts: 717 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @favre0811 said:

    On -, @SecondandGoal said:

    On -, @Imp said:

    Have you checked the New England forum?

    Won't find much there, it's pretty dead.

    There really aren't any stores that are special enough to be worth visiting. PGA Tour Superstore just opened stores both north and south of the city. But it's just another PGATSS.

    As far as golf, happy to give some recommendations, but need some info. Are you actually staying in the city, or outside the city? How far are you willing to drive to get to a course?

    Just south of the city is Granite Links. Expensive at $150 for 18, but immaculate conditions and a fun layout with a great view of the city, though it's got more blind shots than I personally like. Great practice area, great dining/drinking options, and on reasonably warm nights, the lighted range basically turns into a singles club.

    Right in the city itself, George Wright is a classic Donald Ross course, considered one of the best examples of his work in the country. They keep it in good shape for a muni, and the prices are reasonable.

    There are a few private/semi private courses that you can get on through GolfNow 20-40 minutes south of the city (including Country Club of Halifax, my home course, which is fantastic).

    Depending on time of day, Pinehills in Plymouth is 45 minutes or so south, and has an awesome practice area and clubhouse. The Nicklaus course is more difficult than the Jones course, just incredibly punishing if you miss a green.

    Perfect, thanks. I will be staying in downtown Boston, and might just take an Uber to one of the courses you mention. I am from Sweden, and try and take the opportunity to play golf when I can in different places. I will look into your home course and see if I can make it happen.

    I just did this last week. I stayed in Seaport and for me it was cheaper to rent a car for the day than to Uber back and forth. I stayed a couple blocks away from and enterprise and walked there and back. It was worth it, I took it out to the cape for the day to play. Highly recommend that route.

    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.