Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

TaylorMade M:34 Headcover???

jkmacgurujkmacguru Golf the NorthwestLefty Boomers Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭

This looks like it is a legit TM headcover with the magnetic design, but I cannot find out anything on it. Anyone know the story? Thanks!

Comments

• 12aces12aces Members Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing “34” stands for 34 years. It would make sense that all those numbers are years. Any story behind how you acquired it?

• jkmacgurujkmacguru Golf the Northwest Lefty Boomers Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭

@12aces said:
    I’m guessing “34” stands for 34 years. It would make sense that all those numbers are years. Any story behind how you acquired it?

I found it at a Goodwill here in Eugene. I have spent a pretty good deal of time trying to find the significance of those years. Also, M was not used until 2015 with that new line of clubs, so it is unusual to see it used here. That is assuming this was made in 2013.
    My guess is that it is for a specific tourney that has been won with their clubs. Not too many WITB’s from 79’ to confirm that theory 😂

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jkmacguru said:

@12aces said:

I found it at a Goodwill here in Eugene. I have spent a pretty good deal of time trying to find the significance of those years. Also, M was not used until 2015 with that new line of clubs, so it is unusual to see it used here. That is assuming this was made in 2013.
    My guess is that it is for a specific tourney that has been won with their clubs. Not too many WITB’s from 79’ to confirm that theory 😂

Did you try contacting TaylorMade?

• GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@jkmacguru said:

@12aces said:

They have an account that posts actively here. Tag them in this thread and ask them. It’s always cool to hear interesting back stories on items like this.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 8° | HC Evenflow Black 65
    3wd: TaylorMade Aeroburner TP 15° | Diamana D+ LTD 70
    5wd: TaylorMade Aeroburner TP 18° (T.I. small head 19°)| Matrix 8Q3 Red Tie
    Irons: Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4 iron | Recoil 95 / FG Tour V6 raw 5-PW | PX Catalyst 100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48° F (handground S), 54° M, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

@GoIrish17 said:

@grm24 said:

@jkmacguru said:

@12aces said:

They have an account that posts actively here. Tag them in this thread and ask them. It’s always cool to hear interesting back stories on items like this.

Do you know what their account is? Is it just @TaylorMade?

I did find some info:
    1979 was the first year of their metal woods
    1984 was the first full year of the Burner on Tour
    1994 was the bubble shaft
    2000 was the 300 Series
    2004 was the R7 quad
    2011 was when they released burner Superfast and R11 with white
    2013 RocketballZ and R1

My guess is that the years are iconic releases of drivers. I would also love to know why they think of the 2011 and 2013 years equally with the other years if my assumption is correct.

Source: https://www.golflink.com/Cms/ArticlesHtml.aspx?id=5747&originalurl=/facts_5747_history-taylor-made-drivers.html
    https://images.app.goo.gl/Np7Z7zgnn9hLyueYA
    https://****.com/taylormade-r1-rbz-stage-2-driver/

• jaw2k9jaw2k9 Members Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to assume that the dates correspond to majors won with their driver?

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jaw2k9 said:

Unlikely. In 2000 VJ won The Masters with a Mizuno driver and Tiger won the other 3 with a Titleist driver.

• jaw2k9jaw2k9 Members Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭

If that's the case, and it obviously is, then the cover must be custom for some other reason entirely.

@jaw2k9 said:

I had the same thought initially. TM didn’t get a win in a major with their drivers until later in the 80’s, however.
    I am fairly confident that it has to do with “new technology” and not wins. I am not certain about all the dates though. I think I have a few of the dates correct in my list above. I would love confirmation from @taylormade though!

• SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

TM Incorporated in 1979
    TM founder Gary Adams awarded the National Golf Association man of the year in 1984.
    Solomon S.A. also bought TaylorMade in 1984.
    Founder Gary Adams dies 1/2/2000

Other dates, TM will know. I don’t think it’s completely tech related, I think it’s a Gary Adams/TaylorMade tribute.

That head cover was made in 2013, when the company was 34 years old. M:34

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jkmacguru said:

@jaw2k9 said:

I had the same thought initially. TM didn’t get a win in a major with their drivers until later in the 80’s, however.
    I am fairly confident that it has to do with “new technology” and not wins. I am not certain about all the dates though. I think I have a few of the dates correct in my list above. I would love confirmation from @taylormade though!

I don’t think that’s the name they post under, judging by the profile when you click on it. It might be @taylormadegolf.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 8° | HC Evenflow Black 65
    3wd: TaylorMade Aeroburner TP 15° | Diamana D+ LTD 70
    5wd: TaylorMade Aeroburner TP 18° (T.I. small head 19°)| Matrix 8Q3 Red Tie
    Irons: Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4 iron | Recoil 95 / FG Tour V6 raw 5-PW | PX Catalyst 100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48° F (handground S), 54° M, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What's the meaning of their "R", "SLDR" and "M" family drivers/woods?

• kdog25kdog25 Members Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@thevaporz said:
    What's the meaning of their "R", "SLDR" and "M" family drivers/woods?

It’s code that means they’ll have new drivers out every 3 months making you feel yours is obsolete shortly after you buy yours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file