Do crappy range balls make you play worse?

magix

So my closest range is a little par 3 course and the range balls are abysmal to be kind. First off, they're limited range balls so they fly about 230 yards max to the end of the range. Second, about half the balls in the bucket are usually missing half the dimples or more. I've seen every kind of ridiculous ball flight imaginable (e.g. Draws that draw then fade half way in flight. Perfectly struck 6 irons that drop out of the air after 100 yards, etc). When practicing I've pretty much relegated myself to not focus on the ball flight as much and more on impact and start direction. I believe this has a significant impact to playing well on the course when I'm using a premium ball which flies further and actually retains its shot shape. It's hard to build confidence in what my ball will do when I haven't seen it on the range.

Do you guys think it's true if you have the same problem? I'm sure anyone who has access to a nice range probably can't relate as well but I'm still curious if you think this issue does impact a players ability to really improve upon their game. When I see a beautiful range ball in my bucket I get more excited than I care to admit...then pray I don't waste it on a crispy shank. LOL :p

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Titleist 917F2 15* EvenFlow 6.0
Titleist 917F2 18* Diamana Blue S
Titleist 818 H1 4H, Titleist 913 5H
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW with PX 6.0
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Phantom X5.5

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I seldom go to a driving range these days when learning the game I use to hit 1500+ balls per week (250 ball basket a day) and up till last years use to hit a small bucket before teeing off.

Hitting range balls are more about swing mechanics than actual club distance because distances, including carry distance, are difficult to effectively measure at a range. I can relate to the momentary exhilaration when seeing a relatively new golf ball in the basket. lol I always saved those for long irons. Nonetheless, if golf club distances are the concern, best find a range that's really busy or high-end green grass facility that regularly replaces balls (new range balls increases bucket cost.) Also, get there early and work a deal with the manager, so you can position distance measuring items, like Hoola-hoops out every "X" number of yards, which is what I use to do. One day every 10-15yards for short/mid irons, next day every 20 yards, mid-long irons, etc.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

That can be a bit frustrating, but I use the same theory. > @Barfolomew said:

> If you can dodge a wrench.....

If you can hit a 1/2 layer golf ball should be a walk in the park hitting a 5 piece ball. The swing reps are always beneficial but I think we've all thought the same.

Taylormade Sim2 9*   Lagp axs blue 6x

Taylormade 300 mini 13.5  lagp axs blue 7x

Callaway UW 17  ventus black 7x  

Taylormade sim2 rescue 22  ventus blue 8x

Srixon 945's 4-pw KBS $ Taper HT 125

Cbx2 kbs 610  50/56  Cbx zipcore 60

Scotty special select squareback accra fx 3.0  

As Pepper stated so eloquently its mostly about swing mechanics. I'll hit the range if available for a round just to warm up I finish hitting the 1st teeshot 3 times in a row before I stop.

I get more out of a pre-round short game session these days.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

You can still tell how well you’re striking the ball even with the crappiest range ball. I just wouldn’t put too much stock in distances or spin etc. but chances are if you strike the ball solidly and it goes left or right it will probably go left or right with a brand new ProV1 as well. Maybe not as much. Maybe more. But still the same direction as with a crappy ranger.

And that’s probably ok for most players who want to improve their game. If you’re already a good player and want to get to single digits or scratch or whatever then you’ll have to work on the more advanced stuff and you’ll probably be better served with a range with better balls or going on the course when it’s empty to work on stuff like ball flight or spin or whatever.

We don't have restricted flights, we just have abused balls that the owner buys from the ball pickers. Occasionally I'll see one of mine I lost years ago as it still has my markings.

I'm mainly concerned about strike quality and and start direction. If I need yardages, I'll go to the private bring your own ball range and practice there.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Practice more half shots with wedges or short irons, it will give better feedback

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I have some gently used branded balls of my own. I'll hit the range mostly for swing grooving and feel. At the end I usually drop two or three mediocre balls and hit them at a target just to get an idea of distance for myself. I asked the range guy one day what they do with newer balls they find and he said just throws them in with the rest. Could be a good way to give you some nice balls eventually in the basket ?.

Nope it doesnt affect your scoring ability on the course but it can be a very solid excuse for why you are not playing well.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I can definitely relate to OP's comment about range ball quality. My local range used to be very good with changing them. I don't know what happened this year but they haven't changed them since last fall. Meanwhile they raised the price by $2 per bucket. Some of the balls are so worn out that dimples are gone.

My $0.02.....

I go to the range, yet... I have a small net setup in my house with foam balls..... I cant imagine ANY worse resulting expectations with foam balls vs crappy driving range balls no?

BUT ..... its the intent of practice and the mind set.

1) The at home setup is to drill position, feelings and specific issues I want to work out. (currently, lack rotation) so hundreds if not THOUSANDS of practice rotation swings with our without the foam balls. honestly I dont care or really know how the ball flies.... BUT I use it for drilling and again trying to undo many years of bad habits.

2) NOT all people have a setup like mine so they go to the range to run drills

3) Good balls or bad balls, if the intent to practice is to fix your mechanics. than paying any attention to your actual ball flight with good or crappy balls will screw you up anyways. You are there to fix swing mechanic issues that are foreign so the resulting shots will NOT be optimal in anyway nor consistent in that matter likely.

4) GOING to the range to DIAL in distance. this seems like a given, but SURE if you are there to dial distance and its all crappy balls and or range limiting balls well you SURE are going to Get some REALLY off numbers.... INTENT. If thats your intent then its better to find a range that fits the intent that uses better balls or premium balls to dial in distances.

5) OP your intent already shows that its likely not going to work, you are trying to dial distance with range limited balls. thats a no go,

5a) You are trying to practice working balls that do not perform the same as your current gamer ball, thats a no go

5b) You are expecting to practice so you have measurable results yet practicing with balls that do not nearly perform the same, thats a no go.

really the option is,

1) Bring your own shag bag of left over balls. ( give them up)

2) Go to another range that has premium balls or better balls, specific to when you WANT to practice specified shot shapes or distance

3) Go find a simulator system that can provide proper feedback while hitting your gamer.

But I would never try to base my results from crap range balls and take it to the live course YES that will screw it up.....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

As Pepper & Altrayn stayed above me, I would concentrate and focus more on mechanics and body/club positions if you’re going through a “mechanical” practice sessions. What I mean is that I had two types of practice regimes, mechanical & competitive.

Mechanical was just that, if I was working on a specific or myriad body or club position, so I wasn’t concerned with distances.

My “competitive” sessions were were I tried to emulate as closely as possible a competitive round and this is when I would concentrate and focus on targets, distances, shot shapes and different types of shots, ie., knockdowns, stingers, flops, etc.

I would also go through my competitive routine where I would have to hit “x” amount of balls out of ten into a target area, the distance obviously depending on the club.

For these drills and sessions, you obviously need decent balls. They don’t have to be gamer qulity, however a full set of dimples would be nice?

I’ve enclosed a pic of our range balls, and yes, you can also grab a bag of “NXT Tours,” I just preferred the “S” as my gamer, though Stones, was an “S.”

I also have a shag bag full(85 balls) of similar quality balls and you can pick up decent practice balls at the various sporting goods stores, Sam’s, etc. for a reasonable price and I would take those to one of the two fields close to home and put an umbrella in the ground and use that for a competitive session, though the longest club that I could hit was a 5i(195-200yds).

Instead of hitting the closest range, it might benefit ya to travel a bit for a nicer range with better quality balls when you want to move past a mechanical practice session

Fairways Greens & Better Balls 4ever My Friend

RP

z5gr4rm2lfa7.jpeg

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I am not sure if worn range balls would make me play worse, but I won't hit them if they are bald or close to it, I discard them (knock them out of the way one-handed). Sometimes, and at some places, this might amount to a third of the bucket. I wouldn't come back to a range where the majority of the balls are bad. A nice ball-flight is one of my golf-pleasures.

Bad range balls are definitely never accurate of how you hit it. Bad ball flight is accentuated the longer you hit it. So, what I do is separate my balls into three piles: horrible balls, average balls, and good balls. The horrible balls, I only hit short shots with wedges. Average balls, I hit short irons to mid irons. Good balls I hit long irons, fairway woods, driver. Then you can be a little more accurate with crappy balls, however, I don't put too much emphasis on range sessions.

> @aliikane said:

> Bad range balls are definitely never accurate of how you hit it. Bad ball flight is accentuated the longer you hit it. So, what I do is separate my balls into three piles: horrible balls, average balls, and good balls. The horrible balls, I only hit short shots with wedges. Average balls, I hit short irons to mid irons. Good balls I hit long irons, fairway woods, driver. Then it is a little more accuracy with crappy balls, however, I don't put too much emphasis on range sessions.

Same here:

Crappy balls: warm up

Decent balls: irons

Good balls: driver, woods

But again, range is not about scoring