Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Ashkay Bhatia - Callaway

13»

Comments

• J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

OEM's support lots of junior programs but once they hit the Tour it's about money and who's clubs give them the best chance at being successful. When you're a junior you don't exactly have the pick of the litter. Although it doesn't apply to this case, most college programs have OEM partnerships and heavily push kids in that direction. So just because they played Ping or TM as a junior doesn't mean that's the only stuff they like. It's just easy to get free stuff when its right in front of you and you have a rep that takes care of what you need.

Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 6:38pm #63

@J13 said:
    OEM's support lots of junior programs but once they hit the Tour it's about money and who's clubs give them the best chance at being successful. When you're a junior you don't exactly have the pick of the litter. Although it doesn't apply to this case, most college programs have OEM partnerships and heavily push kids in that direction. So just because they played Ping or TM as a junior doesn't mean that's the only stuff they like. It's just easy to get free stuff when its right in front of you and you have a rep that takes care of what you need.

For sure. A few very unique cases here
    Just have a a hard time thinking he didn’t ideally want to sign with TM
    Guessing the contract was just too good to turn down. Big move by Callaway imo
    I would guess TM thought they had him locked up.

VERY interested to see what ball he plays
    And to see how quickly they can get him out of his spider!
    Callaway has shown flexibility with guys playing other stuff lately though

Hes still reppin TM on his IG account haha

Post edited by MakersMarsh3 on
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

@lowheel said:

@ASN21 said:

@Dr. Bombay said:

@ASN21 said:

@Dr. Bombay said:

@ASN21 said:

@Jigga said:

@ASN21 said:
    I kinda got a bad vibe from him but supported him because he was a TaylorMade guy but now....no reason to root for this guy haha.

What bad vibe?

Nothing wrong with having confidence but this guy hasn’t done anything yet to be as cocky as he is.

All of the below before he would have even enrolled in college...pretty healthy resume for a kid who doesn't turn 18 until January 31, 2020.

2019 Walker Cup team member (2-1 overall, won in singles)
    No. 5 in World Amateur Golf Ranking
    Runner-up in 2018 U.S. Junior Amateur at Baltusrol Golf Club, losing, 1 down, to Michael Thorbjornsen in 36-hole final
    Advanced to the Round of 32 in 2019 U.S. Amateur at Pinehurst
    2019 Jones Cup champion
    2018 American Junior Golf Association Player of the Year
    2018 Sage Valley Junior Invitational champion
    2018 Polo Junior Golf Classic champion
    2017 and 2018 Boys Junior PGA Championship winner
    Member of victorious 2017 USA Junior Ryder Cup Team
    Competed in PGA Tour’s 2019 Valspar Championship
    Made 36-hole cut in Korn Ferry Tour’s Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Championship (T-42)
    Lost in 19 holes in Round of 64 of 2018 U.S. Amateur at Pebble Beach

Color me unimpressed.

Assuming you are not kidding (surely you are)....
    ....whose resume resume at age 17 would you cite as having impressed you?

Get back to me when he does something of substance on the PGA tour. Everything else before is for nothing if you can't ball on the main stage.

yikes man. the kid is 17 years old. give your head a shake... are you really that mad at a kid for not playing your favorite brand anymore?

Who the **** said I was mad? LOL. I simply said I’m not rooting for the guy anymore. Gotta love it when you have an opinion against the forum thread consensus.

TaylorMade M6 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Black
    TaylorMade M6 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 3 & 4 - KBS Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ
    TaylorMade Milled Grind HI-TOE 56 & 60 - KBS HI-REV 2.0
    TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    I guess Callaway has had a bad run with their real good ams....
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong
    Sam Burns, Mav, Ollie are underachieving
    I don't think any are paying off like they thought they would or wanted

Yeah it's been almost the kiss of death for a top amateur to sign with them. Xander is probably the only somewhat household name and strangely he wasn't nearly as hyped coming out of college or am ranks.

Xander played TM clubs before he signed with Callaway.

Yeah I know there have been several that have switched like Bhatia. TM can't sign them all.
    Personally (just my personal opinion) I know the $ is enticing esp for a kid coming on tour but I wouldn't go with a full bag of Callaways or any other club maker for that matter. I just feel that the TM drivers are the best. The Vokey wedges, Titleist balls, etc. I know one tour pro sponsored by Callaway but he's been spotted on the range using an M5. Callaway expects their staffers esp the young kids to go full bag all the way down to putter and balls and I think that's a little bit of a disadvantage to do that. I won't root for or against a guy based on their equipment though.

Just to be clear. Xander played TM on the PGA Tour when he won the Tour Championship and ROY before he signed with Callaway. After he signed with Callaway he still played his TM clubs for some time before they finally got his a set of irons and driver he liked. That was discussed plenty here. Like yourself I won't root for/against somebody for what gear they play. That's simply idiotic for those that do. If Bhatia does sign with Callaway I wonder what he wil do with the set of lefty P-730 irons TM made for him.

• ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong

Yeah it's been almost the kiss of death for a top amateur to sign with them. Xander is probably the only somewhat household name and strangely he wasn't nearly as hyped coming out of college or am ranks.

Yeah I know there have been several that have switched like Bhatia. TM can't sign them all.
    Personally (just my personal opinion) I know the $ is enticing esp for a kid coming on tour but I wouldn't go with a full bag of Callaways or any other club maker for that matter. I just feel that the TM drivers are the best. The Vokey wedges, Titleist balls, etc. I know one tour pro sponsored by Callaway but he's been spotted on the range using an M5. Callaway expects their staffers esp the young kids to go full bag all the way down to putter and balls and I think that's a little bit of a disadvantage to do that. I won't root for or against a guy based on their equipment though.

Just to be clear. Xander played TM on the PGA Tour when he won the Tour Championship and ROY before he signed with Callaway. After he signed with Callaway he still played his TM clubs for some time before they finally got his a set of irons and driver he liked. That was discussed plenty here. Like yourself I won't root for/against somebody for what gear they play. That's simply idiotic for those that do. If Bhatia does sign with Callaway I wonder what he wil do with the set of lefty P-730 irons TM made for him.

Imagine calling an opinion idiotic that differs from your own. I guess this is America nowadays though.

TaylorMade M6 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Black
    TaylorMade M6 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 3 & 4 - KBS Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ
    TaylorMade Milled Grind HI-TOE 56 & 60 - KBS HI-REV 2.0
    TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

• HeckleHeckle Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@third-times-a-charm said:

@YoungJedi said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@YoungJedi said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@YoungJedi said:

@dmecca2 said:

Full bag? There goes his career, just like Hovland and ping...

Pretty bad take here. Hovland has been playing amazing and his strokes gained off the tee numbers with the Ping were on par with Rory's.

Not to mention his strokes gained approach. They didn’t count, as he wasn’t a member...but had they counted he would have been ranked 3rd in SG approach.

Led field on off the tee handful of times as well

I’m all in on Hovland, but please don’t compare his stats during the birdie fest stretch of events he played in to the yearlong resume of Rory
    Please and thank you

US open and The Masters are considered Birdie Fests? Lol

All the stats you pimped were from after, he did great off the tee at Pebble for sure, but don't think he hit a ton of drivers
    A bulk of his starts are from a run of easier events, it's just the truth
    Doesn't mean he's not awesome, just don't think the Rory comparison is there yet

Yea wasn’t meaning to compare him to Rory, rather disprove the guy who basically said Hovland is trash. Lol

I didnt say he was trash. I said player signing full bags is the majority of the time a death knell for their game because no one manufacturer makes the best everything in the bag. Sure some players are good enough to make-do, but most arent. 'Trash' is your wording, not mine.

Sure, Hovland took the money from ping and ran before even getting on tour...good for him I guess.

Don't most sign full bags?

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Heckle said:

@YoungJedi said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@YoungJedi said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@YoungJedi said:

@dmecca2 said:

Pretty bad take here. Hovland has been playing amazing and his strokes gained off the tee numbers with the Ping were on par with Rory's.

Not to mention his strokes gained approach. They didn’t count, as he wasn’t a member...but had they counted he would have been ranked 3rd in SG approach.

I’m all in on Hovland, but please don’t compare his stats during the birdie fest stretch of events he played in to the yearlong resume of Rory
    Please and thank you

All the stats you pimped were from after, he did great off the tee at Pebble for sure, but don't think he hit a ton of drivers
    Doesn't mean he's not awesome, just don't think the Rory comparison is there yet

Yea wasn’t meaning to compare him to Rory, rather disprove the guy who basically said Hovland is trash. Lol

I didnt say he was trash. I said player signing full bags is the majority of the time a death knell for their game because no one manufacturer makes the best everything in the bag. Sure some players are good enough to make-do, but most arent. 'Trash' is your wording, not mine.

Sure, Hovland took the money from ping and ran before even getting on tour...good for him I guess.

Not anymore. TM is one of the few that has full staff deals. Titleist usually does but you will see some guys play non Scotty putters like Jimmy Walker. Ping does anywhere from 10-14. Callaway does comes close for most guys.

• Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Members Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 12:12am #69

@ibradley said:
    I think he will do great. In my opinion college is way overrated.

This. Plenty of Euros go straight pro. College will be there in 5 years if he doesn't make it and has a desire to go back. But with the $s he'll get in endorsements, he certainly won't need to.

TM does a lot for AJGA players. Guess it doesn't always pay off.

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ASN21 said:

@lowheel said:

@ASN21 said:

@Dr. Bombay said:

@ASN21 said:

@Dr. Bombay said:

@ASN21 said:

@Jigga said:

@ASN21 said:
    I kinda got a bad vibe from him but supported him because he was a TaylorMade guy but now....no reason to root for this guy haha.

What bad vibe?

Nothing wrong with having confidence but this guy hasn’t done anything yet to be as cocky as he is.

All of the below before he would have even enrolled in college...pretty healthy resume for a kid who doesn't turn 18 until January 31, 2020.

2019 Walker Cup team member (2-1 overall, won in singles)
    No. 5 in World Amateur Golf Ranking
    Runner-up in 2018 U.S. Junior Amateur at Baltusrol Golf Club, losing, 1 down, to Michael Thorbjornsen in 36-hole final
    Advanced to the Round of 32 in 2019 U.S. Amateur at Pinehurst
    2019 Jones Cup champion
    2018 American Junior Golf Association Player of the Year
    2018 Sage Valley Junior Invitational champion
    2018 Polo Junior Golf Classic champion
    2017 and 2018 Boys Junior PGA Championship winner
    Member of victorious 2017 USA Junior Ryder Cup Team
    Competed in PGA Tour’s 2019 Valspar Championship
    Made 36-hole cut in Korn Ferry Tour’s Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Championship (T-42)
    Lost in 19 holes in Round of 64 of 2018 U.S. Amateur at Pebble Beach

Color me unimpressed.

Assuming you are not kidding (surely you are)....
    ....whose resume resume at age 17 would you cite as having impressed you?

Get back to me when he does something of substance on the PGA tour. Everything else before is for nothing if you can't ball on the main stage.

yikes man. the kid is 17 years old. give your head a shake... are you really that mad at a kid for not playing your favorite brand anymore?

Who the **** said I was mad? LOL. I simply said I’m not rooting for the guy anymore. Gotta love it when you have an opinion against the forum thread consensus.

you're a real trailblazing rebel going against a non existant grain...

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ASN21 said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong

Imagine calling an opinion idiotic that differs from your own. I guess this is America nowadays though.

No, This is America. Haha.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • HeckleHeckle Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@GoGoErky said:

@Heckle said:

@YoungJedi said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@YoungJedi said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@YoungJedi said:

@dmecca2 said:

Please and thank you

Not anymore. TM is one of the few that has full staff deals. Titleist usually does but you will see some guys play non Scotty putters like Jimmy Walker. Ping does anywhere from 10-14. Callaway does comes close for most guys.

gotcha, thanks

• Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@J13 said:

Some of these Sponsors and manufacturers pay for travel, hotel and pay ridiculous amounts of cash which is huge when starting out on tour.

• J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MakersMarsh3 said:

@J13 said:

I wonder if his contract started yet or when it starts. I haven't seen any Callaway announcement.

Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong

I can certainly understand why he would sign with whomever was going to pay him the most. When you're just coming out, with no guaranteed starts, the need to still qualify for basically any tour, and the expense that goes into all of that, the move makes a lot of sense. I have to guess that he went though a lot of discussions with several manufacturers prior to the decision. Will be interesting to see what his trajectory looks like once he is able to start playing for money.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

@ASN21 said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong

Such an amazing video, Glover is so ridiculously talented.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

Bhatia is teeing it up next week at the Sanderson Farms Championship.

• BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Who wins a major first? Bhatia or Cameron Champ?

• BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tall gawky kid with glasses is golf's savior? "Let's lock him up with a big contract".

Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter

@BMC said:
    Tall gawky kid with glasses is golf's savior? "Let's lock him up with a big contract".

Fits right in with dylan meyer and lee McCoy haha

@BNGL said:

Bhatia, because Cameron isn’t ever winning a major unless it’s a “major in name only” like the PGA Championship.

@GolfChannel said:

@BNGL said:

Bhatia, because Cameron isn’t ever winning a major unless it’s a “major in name only” like the PGA

Lol

• BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GolfChannel said:

@BNGL said:

Bhatia, because Cameron isn’t ever winning a major unless it’s a “major in name only” like the PGA Championship.

So, Tiger has only won 11 Majors then?

Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter

@BMC said:

@GolfChannel said:

@BNGL said:

So, Tiger has only won 11 Majors then?

Still a major, just never understood why it was one other than history. The Players is typically a far more difficult test that actually brings in a ton of different styles.

Okay, done thread jacking. Point stays the same. Champ has the touch of a corpse with his wedges and his putter isn’t much better. Till that changes he’ll only win if he catches lightning in bottle for a weekend and rises above his limitations.

• Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

@BNGL said:

Champ......Providing his back holds up. He'll also need to develop an arm swing with his wedges...

I am being totally facetious...I believe the kids use the term, “trolling”.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ASN21 said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong

@GolfChannel said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@ASN21 said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@grm24 said:

@snizzle said:

@MakersMarsh3 said:
    Lee McCoy, Norman Xiong

Such an amazing video, Glover is so ridiculously talented.

I agree, I got nervous for a bit that it may be considered political. I was just posting it as a play on words.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

TM and Adidas has been removed from IG account. Expect announcement soon. Hopefully Greg can get us some pictures this week at Sanderson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file