Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

3 Lessons, 3 instructors, All said the same thing

2»

Comments

• JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In regards to me coming here for help, I failed to mention that all three of the instructors said I need to set the club sooner but all gave me three different thoughts / drills to fix it. The most recent guy just said set the wrists sooner. He didn't give me any drills but just said to hit balls slowly to really engrain the feel.

The first guy gave me a drill similar to the Faldo wrist set drill but he had me setting the club head outside of the hands. I assume this was to over exaggerate the feel I'm trying to achieve. Either way, I'm working hard at it and will check back in after my Thursday league to let you know how it goes.

'16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 AP2 | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Scotty SS Newport 2 350
  • Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

I advise you to make sure you are setting your wrist(s) in the correct way. Having your right wrist hinge back (toward the back of your arm) like a door swings is the move you want, not a cocking motion like you'd have when you are hammering a nail. The cocking move is worthless to the golf swing motion. You can find lots of details for why (and lots of pictures how) you want the hinging motion in the books Golf The Winning Formula by Nick Faldo, and Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf by Joe Dante.

Here is excerpts from the Dante book someone posted online:
    http://www.golf-swing-magic.com/golf-backswing2.html

Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter

• JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got some work in on the range this afternoon and my ball striking was MUCH better. I was taking divots like the good old days. My thought was to get the club head working straight back as long as I could (of course it was still working inside) and hinge from there.

I was hitting some big blocks but was definitely finding the center of the face with consistency and ball divot contact was encouraging.

'16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 AP2 | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Scotty SS Newport 2 350
  • Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 12:40am #35

@JStang said:
    I got some work in on the range this afternoon and my ball striking was MUCH better. I was taking divots like the good old days. My thought was to get the club head working straight back as long as I could (of course it was still working inside) and hinge from there.

I was hitting some big blocks but was definitely finding the center of the face with consistency and ball divot contact was encouraging.

Blocks can come from a number of different things.
    Is your left arm separating from your chest at and through impact?
    Is your hips pulling underneath your body at impact making you stand up too straight at impact, and your body forcing your arms out to the right since they don't have clearance to swing?
    Are you up on your toes and falling toward the ball at impact?
    Is your back leg sliding toward the target, and your upper body tilting drastically away from the target in response?

Each of those things can lead to blocks, and each can have a different remedy.
    If your arm is drastically separating from your chest keeping the upper arm close to your chest at impact and through. (See Greg Norman's golf swing in the mid to late 90's). Lots of pros practice with gloves, towels, or headcovers under their arm pits to reinforce this position.
    If your hips are pulling underneath you, or your legs are sliding toward the target work on quieting their aggressive and or jerky movement. Having them instead support and provide room for you to swing your arms. (See Nick Faldo's swing).
    If you are falling toward your toes at impact setup with weight over your ankles not the balls of your feet, and feel like you stand closer to the ball with your hips pushed more up and back at setup. (See Erine Els setup and swing from the 90's)

You mentioned you were trying to take things straight back away from the target during takeaway/backswing. I see a lot of people get in trouble doing that. I see a lot of the arms disconnecting from the body, and the arms and body working separate from one another and inconsistency develop. They also tend to shift and slide outside their back leg on the backswing, and if they don't then slide back on the downswing they hang back, their body gets in the way stalling, and they block.

Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file