***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

monkeyboy ·  
monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers  895WRX Points: 280Handicap: 8.6Posts: 895 Golden Tee

Some days I just go to the range to hit some balls or chip and putt. Can be a pain to get 'dressed up' in the 90 degrees heat and humidity sometimes when I am just trying to get out of the house for a quick hour or so. Would be awesome if I could wear a T-shirt at least. My club is pretty low brow, yet still have to wear collared ****, etc.
What other sports does one get 'dressed up' to play where the clothes is not tied to functionality?
Swimming = you wear a bathing suit optimized for the task
Baseball / football / Basketball = uniforms that match the sports needs
Golf = all you need is to be as comfortable as possible and wear non restrictive clothes, yet a collar and $70 shorts/pants are required
I don't see it as a 'respect thing' - respect for what?
thoughts?

Posted:
Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB-x
Pure Midsized Grips

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

Walmart sells the proper attire for less than $40 for both shirt and pants or shorts. Nice stuff, too. Look for Ben Hogan.

The public ranges don't have dress codes.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • OldboyOldboy Members  2528WRX Points: 252Posts: 2,528 Titanium Tees

when was the divergence between tennis and golf.. the dress used to be very similar .. fast forward 2019 and Rafa is wearing a sleeveless t shirt and headband ..

Posted:
  • tatertottatertot Members  4627WRX Points: 951Posts: 4,627 Titanium Tees

A baseball uniform matches the sports "needs"? You need a button up shirt and sanitary socks to play baseball?

Are shorts and short sleeved "golf shirt" too restrictive for you?

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tech A4, 19*
    5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
    SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
    Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers  895WRX Points: 280Handicap: 8.6Posts: 895 Golden Tee

You guys are funny and sound angry. Rules should change based on the times. Otherwise - why are you not wearing a button up shirt, wool jacket and a top hat when you play?
    It has nothing to do with cost, more about comfort and functionality.

Posted:
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers  895WRX Points: 280Handicap: 8.6Posts: 895 Golden Tee

On -, @tatertot said:

A baseball uniform matches the sports "needs"? You need a button up shirt and sanitary socks to play baseball?

Do you see guys with their pants all the way down to the tops of their cleats so you cannot even see their socks? Do you think they are wearing sanitary socks underneath?
    The times change, style evolves.

Posted:
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips

Advertisement
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members  3217WRX Points: 832Handicap: I.Q.Posts: 3,217 Titanium Tees

On -, @monkeyboy said:

On -, @tatertot said:

Do you see guys with their pants all the way down to the tops of their cleats so you cannot even see their socks? Do you think they are wearing sanitary socks underneath?
    The times change, style evolves.

That’s not always a good thing......

Posted:
  • JJK947JJK947 Southeastern ConnecticutMembers  3243WRX Points: 271Posts: 3,243 Titanium Tees

At low-mid level public courses and muni's, I don't see the point of a dress code other than shirts/shoes, etc. Probably would turn away more people with a dress code than a lack of one. If it's a private club or high end public it's hard to charge a premium when people look like they showed up from the beach. The more stringent details of the dress codes at these places aren't perfect but I see the necessity. Once you open anything up to subjectivity there's going to be disagreement. I don't think my golf clothes are too expensive nor too uncomfortable.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade MG2 52.09 - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade MG2 60.08 - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members  3217WRX Points: 832Handicap: I.Q.Posts: 3,217 Titanium Tees

My golf clothes are the cheapest part of my golf hobby

Posted:
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members  500WRX Points: 87Posts: 500 Golden Tee

nm

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DFW SnowmanDFW Snowman Members  279WRX Points: 147Posts: 279 Greens

Dress codes don't exists everywhere you play golf. Top Golf doesn't have a dress code requiring collared shirts. Standalone driving ranges don't have dress codes. Many municipal courses don't require a collared shirt (or if they do, they don't enforce it as far as I can tell). So maybe the issue is dress codes exist in the places you happen to want to play?

If you choose to join a club that has a dress code, then you consciously made that choice to join a club with that rule. I'm sure if you really wanted to change the rules and got enough members onboard and convinced ownership that it would make a positive impact on membership numbers and dues, the club would do so.

Posted:
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members  6527WRX Points: 203Handicap: 19Posts: 6,527 Titanium Tees

If you are going to the range tshirt is fine.

Posted:
    TM M5 Tour 430 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
    TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
    TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

Advertisement
  • Oett11Oett11 Columbia MoMembers  156WRX Points: 44Handicap: 6.3Posts: 156 Fairways

Posted:

Taylormade SIm 9* RIPx 75 S tipped .75
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 70x
    Mizuno clk 19* Tensei Pro white 90
    Wilson Staff Model 4-pw X100 ss1
    Wilson Staff Model 50/56
    Odssey Stroke Lab #3 35

• StetsonStetson Members  2706WRX Points: 175Posts: 2,706 Titanium Tees

You said that your club is low brow, well the issue is that you belong to a club. I bet that gym shorts and a T are perfectly acceptable at other facilities nearby

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS3 (Changes Daily)
    5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
    3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Tour AD IZ)
    or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • OldCussOldCuss South CarolinaMembers  76WRX Points: 110Handicap: Which One?Posts: 76 Fairways

I like the old look that Payne Stewart wore on the Tour. Although certainly not necessary as a nod to the sport, but been tempted myself, especially given skin-cancer potential. I do what I can to be presentable, thanks, sales, last year's styles, Amazon, and a creative barber. Have not found presentable and comfortable to be opposing realities, at least when I don't miss my meds. I, too, like tradition, but like a good pair of drawers, it needs to breathe to be worth continuing its 'wear'. Mostly I think it's about self- and other-regard, which on some level promotes a civil, organized, and yet fun environment. Might be a good thing given chaos begins on the course sooner or later for most of us.

Old Cuss

Posted:

Norm OldCuss Bryan

• Big BenBig Ben Members  9353WRX Points: 523Handicap: 5Posts: 9,353 Titanium Tees

I believe the golf wordrobe could easily and probably will become more athletic casual in the years to come. The tech gear out there is better suited to the temps, etc.

Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1

Advertisement
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

On -, @davep043 said:

Many establishments, many businesses have minimum standards. A golf club is a business, they have every right to have minimum standards of their choosing. And of course YOU have the right to patronize a different establishment. If the dress code upsets you so severely, maybe you should consider that.
    My own club is well out in the country, and is pretty relaxed, yet we have the same basic standards. I can work in jeans and a t-shirt, but if I know I'm heading to the club after work I wear the appropriate clothes. Its just part of the deal.

We know all that. The OP is asking why. I can see why a club would want a certain decorum within the clubhouse. But what's the reasoning for a little muni course that lacks a clubhouse do have dress codes?

The why is tradition. Golf has always been a little elitist and very conservative.

Posted:
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members  972WRX Points: 134Handicap: ?Posts: 972 Golden Tee

Please, please don't turn golf courses in to a WalMart shopper that has no respect for themselves.
    You know, all the pictures in emails we have all seen, laughed at, and been grossed out by. If I own the course - none of that thank-you.
    That is the end-game of having no dress standards.

Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5 Miyazaki Kuala 5544
    Taylor Made M6 14.5 Rocket Atmos
    Taylormade 5W SIM Diamana Limited Edition
    Taylor Made 3,4,5 GAP-HI Hybrids KBS 
    Srixon z785 6-PW Nippon Tour 105
    Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105
    Odyssey Highway 101 Limited Edition
    TP5X, Strike, AVX
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers  3894WRX Points: 389Posts: 3,894 Titanium Tees

It's funny. I used to work at a very stuffy firm where dark suits and white shirts were the required attire. Any time an employee would ask about the dress code, the partners made clear that the suit was the required uniform. It promoted a certain amount of professionalism and civility that might potentially be lost in a more "casual" environment. It harkens back to the old Crash Davis line from Bull Durham. "if you dress classy, you'll look classy, and you'll be classy.". I've always assumed golf dress codes were intended to support the same notion.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • farmerfarmer Members  8908WRX Points: 1,342Posts: 8,908 Titanium Tees

Our little club is as free and easy as can be in terms of rules. However, years ago, we had a member who would hit the driving range in a pair of old school gym shorts. For the youngsters, they were short, white, thin and borderline obscene. This particular guy was not someone that anyone would ever want to see other than fully clothed. A sight that could not be unseen. The tee area of the driving range is quite close to the entry road, so our women members got to enjoy this sight while driving in. Our tiny little club had to establish a dress code specifically to address this one guy's (bad) choice of attire.

Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

Golf fashion and dress codes have evolved in a huge way. You have massive options at most places other then needing sleeves and some form of collar for men. Women have even more options.

Golf clothes are very functional, with only the slightest nod to the traditions of the game

Posted:
  • ckayckay Members  4716WRX Points: 763Posts: 4,716 Titanium Tees

I don’t mind golf attire. I think a golf shirt and a pair of shorts is pretty **** lax. Then again I’m in a suit and tie during the week. I guess it is different for you guys that wear jean shorts and tanks all week where a pair of shorts and a golf shirt is considered “dressed up.”

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • Zen_GolferZen_Golfer Columbus, OHMembers  365WRX Points: 238Handicap: 10Posts: 365 Greens

Every sport/game has its uniform. A collared shirt is golf's uniform. You dont have to go out and spend $100+ for a, "golf costume". You could easily go to Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, JC Penny, whatever and get a polo and flat front shorts for about $50.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.