Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some days I just go to the range to hit some balls or chip and putt. Can be a pain to get 'dressed up' in the 90 degrees heat and humidity sometimes when I am just trying to get out of the house for a quick hour or so. Would be awesome if I could wear a T-shirt at least. My club is pretty low brow, yet still have to wear collared ****, etc.
What other sports does one get 'dressed up' to play where the clothes is not tied to functionality?
Swimming = you wear a bathing suit optimized for the task
Baseball / football / Basketball = uniforms that match the sports needs
Golf = all you need is to be as comfortable as possible and wear non restrictive clothes, yet a collar and $70 shorts/pants are required
I don't see it as a 'respect thing' - respect for what?
thoughts?

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB-x
Pure Midsized Grips

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart sells the proper attire for less than $40 for both shirt and pants or shorts. Nice stuff, too. Look for Ben Hogan.

The public ranges don't have dress codes.

• OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

when was the divergence between tennis and golf.. the dress used to be very similar .. fast forward 2019 and Rafa is wearing a sleeveless t shirt and headband ..

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A baseball uniform matches the sports "needs"? You need a button up shirt and sanitary socks to play baseball?

Are shorts and short sleeved "golf shirt" too restrictive for you?

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are funny and sound angry. Rules should change based on the times. Otherwise - why are you not wearing a button up shirt, wool jacket and a top hat when you play?
    It has nothing to do with cost, more about comfort and functionality.

Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tatertot said:
    A baseball uniform matches the sports "needs"? You need a button up shirt and sanitary socks to play baseball?

Do you see guys with their pants all the way down to the tops of their cleats so you cannot even see their socks? Do you think they are wearing sanitary socks underneath?
    The times change, style evolves.

Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@monkeyboy said:

@tatertot said:

Do you see guys with their pants all the way down to the tops of their cleats so you cannot even see their socks? Do you think they are wearing sanitary socks underneath?
    The times change, style evolves.

That’s not always a good thing......

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

At low-mid level public courses and muni's, I don't see the point of a dress code other than shirts/shoes, etc. Probably would turn away more people with a dress code than a lack of one. If it's a private club or high end public it's hard to charge a premium when people look like they showed up from the beach. The more stringent details of the dress codes at these places aren't perfect but I see the necessity. Once you open anything up to subjectivity there's going to be disagreement. I don't think my golf clothes are too expensive nor too uncomfortable.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Mizuno MP T7 52.09 - DG Tour S400
    Mizuno MP T20 58.04 - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My golf clothes are the cheapest part of my golf hobby

• 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2019 9:24pm #12
  • DFW SnowmanDFW Snowman Members Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Dress codes don't exists everywhere you play golf. Top Golf doesn't have a dress code requiring collared shirts. Standalone driving ranges don't have dress codes. Many municipal courses don't require a collared shirt (or if they do, they don't enforce it as far as I can tell). So maybe the issue is dress codes exist in the places you happen to want to play?

If you choose to join a club that has a dress code, then you consciously made that choice to join a club with that rule. I'm sure if you really wanted to change the rules and got enough members onboard and convinced ownership that it would make a positive impact on membership numbers and dues, the club would do so.

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to the range tshirt is fine.

TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭

It not a respect thing it's called tradition. Traditions are not meant to be destroyed.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • Oett11Oett11 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Mizuno st 180~~ 9.5* Diamana D+ 70 x
    Mizuno st 180 3w 15* Ust Chrome 8f5t
    Cobra F8 hybrid 22* Rogue 85 stiff
    Cobra King Mb 5-pw kbs $taper 125
    Cleveland Rtx4 50/54 ti s400
    Taylormade mini spider 35

• StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You said that your club is low brow, well the issue is that you belong to a club. I bet that gym shorts and a T are perfectly acceptable at other facilities nearby

Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • OldCussOldCuss South CarolinaMembers Posts: 21 ✭✭

I like the old look that Payne Stewart wore on the Tour. Although certainly not necessary as a nod to the sport, but been tempted myself, especially given skin-cancer potential. I do what I can to be presentable, thanks, sales, last year's styles, Amazon, and a creative barber. Have not found presentable and comfortable to be opposing realities, at least when I don't miss my meds. I, too, like tradition, but like a good pair of drawers, it needs to breathe to be worth continuing its 'wear'. Mostly I think it's about self- and other-regard, which on some level promotes a civil, organized, and yet fun environment. Might be a good thing given chaos begins on the course sooner or later for most of us.

Old Cuss

Norm OldCuss Bryan

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the golf wordrobe could easily and probably will become more athletic casual in the years to come. The tech gear out there is better suited to the temps, etc.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@davep043 said:
    Many establishments, many businesses have minimum standards. A golf club is a business, they have every right to have minimum standards of their choosing. And of course YOU have the right to patronize a different establishment. If the dress code upsets you so severely, maybe you should consider that.
    My own club is well out in the country, and is pretty relaxed, yet we have the same basic standards. I can work in jeans and a t-shirt, but if I know I'm heading to the club after work I wear the appropriate clothes. Its just part of the deal.

We know all that. The OP is asking why. I can see why a club would want a certain decorum within the clubhouse. But what's the reasoning for a little muni course that lacks a clubhouse do have dress codes?

The why is tradition. Golf has always been a little elitist and very conservative.

• QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, please don't turn golf courses in to a WalMart shopper that has no respect for themselves.
    You know, all the pictures in emails we have all seen, laughed at, and been grossed out by. If I own the course - none of that thank-you.
    That is the end-game of having no dress standards.

Srixon z785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0
    Callaway Flash 13.5 65 S EvenFlo
    Cobra 2,3,4 Hybrids PX
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, Titleist AVX
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny. I used to work at a very stuffy firm where dark suits and white shirts were the required attire. Any time an employee would ask about the dress code, the partners made clear that the suit was the required uniform. It promoted a certain amount of professionalism and civility that might potentially be lost in a more "casual" environment. It harkens back to the old Crash Davis line from Bull Durham. "if you dress classy, you'll look classy, and you'll be classy.". I've always assumed golf dress codes were intended to support the same notion.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Our little club is as free and easy as can be in terms of rules. However, years ago, we had a member who would hit the driving range in a pair of old school gym shorts. For the youngsters, they were short, white, thin and borderline obscene. This particular guy was not someone that anyone would ever want to see other than fully clothed. A sight that could not be unseen. The tee area of the driving range is quite close to the entry road, so our women members got to enjoy this sight while driving in. Our tiny little club had to establish a dress code specifically to address this one guy's (bad) choice of attire.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Golf fashion and dress codes have evolved in a huge way. You have massive options at most places other then needing sleeves and some form of collar for men. Women have even more options.

Golf clothes are very functional, with only the slightest nod to the traditions of the game

• ckayckay Members Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t mind golf attire. I think a golf shirt and a pair of shorts is pretty **** lax. Then again I’m in a suit and tie during the week. I guess it is different for you guys that wear jean shorts and tanks all week where a pair of shorts and a golf shirt is considered “dressed up.”

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Every sport/game has its uniform. A collared shirt is golf's uniform. You dont have to go out and spend $100+ for a, "golf costume". You could easily go to Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, JC Penny, whatever and get a polo and flat front shorts for about $50.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file