Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

How to become a better golf without use of one hand for 2 months?

2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have suffered an injury and won't have use of one hand for 6-10 weeks.Drives me crazy that I can't do the normal golf related things. I can't even hold a putter.

Any ides on what I could be doing to keep in golf shape and keep sharp at the game as I just found about 20hours a week as I can't play or practice. All I can think of is walking/ running. Maybe some core work, but keep in mind I can only use one arm to get up and down off the floor etc.

Comments

• Oett11Oett11 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Not sure how beneficial but when I injured my arm i googled 1 arm golf drills, most of them were pretty ridiculous but I found a couple that seemed to help out, or at least I told myself they did. Get healthy fast.

Mizuno st 180~~ 9.5* Diamana D+ 70 x
    Mizuno st 180 3w 15* Ust Chrome 8f5t
    Cobra F8 hybrid 22* Rogue 85 stiff
    Cobra King Mb 5-pw kbs $taper 125
    Cleveland Rtx4 50/54 ti s400
    Taylormade mini spider 35

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on which arm.

• YoungJediYoungJedi Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Watch the plane mate protocols. Don’t even need the plane mate. But the drills they have you day 2 (possibly day 3) are one arm swings back to p2 and then through. Amazing what it can do for takeaway and release even without the plane mate. (I have plane mate however and it’s awesome)

Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    PXG 0311X gen2 DARKNESS 2 iron w/ Tensei pro 70g hybrid S
    PXG 0311x gen1 DARKNESS 4 iron w/ kbs $taper S
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F/58D w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    Custom Bettinardi BB0 - RJB022885
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,413 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 7, 2019 3:10pm #5

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I can relate and will check in on this. Trying to figure when to schedule almost certain surgery on my left elbow this winter.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MountainGoat said:
    Depends on which arm.

left (righty golfer)

• Good1sideClydeGood1sideClyde Members Posts: 67 ✭✭

Walking like you said, stretching and flexibility exercises (yoga? arm will limit what you can do but maybe could so some modified stuff... Flexibility etc goes a long way, not just for golf. Maybe read up on some golf books, never know maybe can find some useful info that may help while still getting a "golf fix". Mental game is important too:-)

• rkodaveyrkodavey Members Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

I broke my left ring finger last year (righty) and was in your same situation for about the same amount of time, only I could hold a club and still putt. Brendon Devore from Be Better Golf advocates doing hundreds of right arm only swings as a way to improve your swing, so you may give that a try. But I also like what Clyde said: work on your flexibility and stretching and maybe let any lingering golf-related injuries heal up. When you're injured, sometimes you just gotta step away and let your body heal.

• glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Single arm swings. Do them all the time to start range session. Money drill. Especially trail arm but even good got lead

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 7:45pm #10

@2bGood said:

@MountainGoat said:
    Depends on which arm.

left (righty golfer)

If you have use of the left, then lead arm swings. If the left is the one that’s out of commission, then trail arm putts.

• mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny (not really) I'm in the same boat as the OP (although probably more like 4 weeks) as I cut my left hand deeply (six stiches) just above the thumb a couple of days ago. Luckily no nerve or tendon damage.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • AndyCAndyC Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

@2bGood said:
    I have suffered an injury and won't have use of one hand for 6-10 weeks.Drives me crazy that I can't do the normal golf related things. I can't even hold a putter.

Any ides on what I could be doing to keep in golf shape and keep sharp at the game as I just found about 20hours a week as I can't play or practice. All I can think of is walking/ running. Maybe some core work, but keep in mind I can only use one arm to get up and down off the floor etc.

Hit full shots with your right arm only. It has proved extremely beneficial for keeping my ball striking sharp.

• jackaajackaa Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

My left arm was in a sling for 8 weeks. I putter with my right had for that period and then continued with both arms once the left arm was ready. I used a yard stick to putt down the stick as straight and far as possible, plus an eye line mirror. I fiddled with various grips, body positions, and stoke patterns. My keys ended being constant grip pressure and tempo, make the putter alignment line go straight towards the hole, and a start the stroke with slight forward press.
    After doing this for two months and another month with both hands/arms, I went to club champion for a putter fitting/adjustment. I made 104 of 107 putts 10 foot putts. So yes a good investment and improvement that translated to the course.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try one hand/arm chipping. When I was practicing a great deal I use to have hour sessions where I did one hand/arm chipping inside of 30yards.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

Some of the one arm drill suggested have me worried about developing swing flaws as I am using my low hand. It is fun to chip right handed, but it more of a flop shot.

• AndyCAndyC Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 10:46pm #16

@2bGood said:
    Some of the one arm drill suggested have me worried about developing swing flaws as I am using my low hand. It is fun to chip right handed, but it more of a flop shot.

Hitting full shots with one arm will ELIMINATE many swing flaws not develop them! Check this out: https://www.revolutiongolf.com/experts/martin-chuck/trail-arm-role-try-this-drill-to-learn-about-your?utm_source=ShotZoom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GolfPlan&vrg=ys

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

one-arm putting, chipping, 1/2 shots and full shots are great. i try to work these into my practice/warm-up routine. highly recommend.

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

I guess only time will tell if the one arm swings will help. Right now the thing my body is missing most is the walking.

• CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

flexibility and core strength training

Callaway

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file