***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Who can hit a Gary Woodland-like stinger here?

hoselpalooza ·  
hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens

my stinger is straight up trash right now but i want to believe there are better days ahead. anyone have video and explanation you would care to share? i'll share my garbage stinger if it helps get things going but trying to keep this a classy affair, if possible. ;)

Posted:

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5*, c-taper 130g
mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers  19101WRX Points: 1,773Posts: 19,101 Titanium Tees

I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.
    I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens

On -, @MonteScheinblum said:

I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

let's see it, sir!!

edit: here's my best so far. could be worse, but still looks like a stiff robot compared to woodland:

Posted:

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers  19101WRX Points: 1,773Posts: 19,101 Titanium Tees

I’ll get a good one in the lights on my range when I get back from Monterey.

You need to extend better in the backswing.

You’re flexing in the backswing, then extending immediately and it’s kicking the club out.

Posted:

nice!

You’re flexing in the backswing, then extending immediately and it’s kicking the club out.

i'm feeling kind of daft because i don't understand any of this. could you please elaborate?

Posted:

• ironcatironcat the cat Members  559WRX Points: 133Handicap: 5Posts: 559 Golden Tee

Just buy a 2 iron and stop your follow through. Stinger City.

Posted:

Your chest/head/spine al get pulled down toward the ball in the backswing because you don’t extend at the waist. Then to avoid sticking the club in the ground, you lose bend at the waist to start the downswing. That’s the opposite of what should happen.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees

On -, @Shipwreck said:

I’ve got an amazing stinger. But there are some problems with it:
    • It’s with my 60*
    • It’s when I’m trying to hit a delicate shot
    • It’s a fairway finder.....in another fairway....on another course potentially

I got that shot in the bag, I sometimes use it out of bunkers as well, in which case I call it the ankle bitter

Posted:
  • JD3JD3 Members  5091WRX Points: 414Posts: 5,091 Titanium Tees

Why even bother with this shot? Balls don't spin much anymore. Even TW doesn't use it anymore. His "safe shot" now off the tee is a baby cut with a longer club, not a sawed off low draw with less club.

Posted:
    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75x
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125s
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX 
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members  867WRX Points: 144Handicap: -Posts: 867 Golden Tee

4 Iron here. Its my lowest club. Learned this one from Guido Migliozzi with the high tee stinger. Works great for me. Theres no impact with the ground so it feels much more natural and you cant hit it fat...just high on the face. I tee it off the back foot and hover the club at ball height. Tee it up like 1.5 inches or so.
    edit: resolution is better on insta.

Posted:
    Callaway

Advertisement
  • airjammerairjammer Members  1357WRX Points: 345Handicap: 4.2Posts: 1,357 Platinum Tees

For some people trying to hit the stinger improves impact alignments particularly in those who typically don’t get their pressure forward enough at impact

Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees

I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it

Please go on....

Posted:

On -, @Buckets2 said:

Please go on....

I will Instagram it shortly. Works well on flighting wedges too.

I call it the THREE LEFT FEEL

Posted:
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  4272WRX Points: 782Posts: 4,272 Titanium Tees

On -, @hoselpalooza said:

nice!

i'm feeling kind of daft because i don't understand any of this. could you please elaborate?

Right shoulder over left foot.

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

On -, @CaddiesFault said:

4 Iron here. Its my lowest club. Learned this one from Guido Migliozzi with the high tee stinger. Works great for me. Theres no impact with the ground so it feels much more natural and you cant hit it fat...just high on the face. I tee it off the back foot and hover the club at ball height. Tee it up like 1.5 inches or so.

this is awesome! i occasionally do the opposite with my driving iron -- tee it up about 2"-3" and hit it like driver -- but never thought to place the ball off of the back foot. can't wait to try this out.

besides hovering the club, do you change anything about your grip or stance or swing (etc.) with this shot?

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @airjammer said:

For some people trying to hit the stinger improves impact alignments particularly in those who typically don’t get their pressure forward enough at impact

absolutely. two other benefits imho:
    1. natural way to learn forward shaft lean
    2. challenging way to improve shallow attack

Posted:

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

If i have room on the left to work i can hit a pretty bad**s rope hook (i'm a lefty). There's a hole on my course that requires like a 215yd shot around a dogleg, and i'll often hit 4 iron there around the corner without getting more than like 20-25 feet in the air and it really runs when it lands.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Tour Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey Oworks Red Tank #7

On -, @MtlJeff said:

If i have room on the left to work i can hit a pretty bad**s rope hook (i'm a lefty). There's a hole on my course that requires like a 215yd shot around a dogleg, and i'll often hit 4 iron there around the corner without getting more than like 20-25 feet in the air and it really runs when it lands.

bubba watson, is that you? :D care to share a video from the course or range?

Posted:

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

On -, @hoselpalooza said:

On -, @MtlJeff said:

bubba watson, is that you? :D care to share a video from the course or range?

i pretty often get compared to Bubba, i hit a massive draw with most clubs and my 3 wood and hybrid i usually step out of the swing with my left foot kinda like he does sometimes

I don't have a video of the stinger. I have some 6 irons posted here in my WITB but it's not really the same. Maybe i'll try and get one on the range tomorrow

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Tour Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey Oworks Red Tank #7

On -, @Buckets2 said:

Please go on....

checks instagram every 5 minutes

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2656WRX Points: 1,668Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,656 ClubWRX

On -, @JD3 said:

Why even bother with this shot? Balls don't spin much anymore. Even TW doesn't use it anymore. His "safe shot" now off the tee is a baby cut with a longer club, not a sawed off low draw with less club.

Wind. I still use driver, but drive it down low to keep it in the fairway. Works great for into and cross winds.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow

On -, @MtlJeff said:

I don't have a video of the stinger. I have some 6 irons posted here in my WITB but it's not really the same. Maybe i'll try and get one on the range tomorrow

no pressure but that would be fun to see. if you post yours (rope hook) i'll post mine.

Posted:

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20366WRX Points: 943Posts: 20,366 Titanium Tees

On -, @JD3 said:

For me it comes down to whether I want a toolkit full of shots to work with, or some little ****-pack.

Posted:

• oikos1oikos1 Members  2986WRX Points: 729Posts: 2,986 Titanium Tees

On -, @CaddiesFault said:

Guido Migliozzi style! That's just fantastic. I will be interjecting that one into the Friday foursome soon.

Posted:
  • airjammerairjammer Members  1357WRX Points: 345Handicap: 4.2Posts: 1,357 Platinum Tees

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Buckets2 said:

On -, @Buckets2 said:

Please go on....

checks instagram every 5 minutes

My refresh button is starting to break down haha

Posted:

On -, @airjammer said:

this is filthy. unreal how he cracks the whip to get such low spin and low ball-flight. i want to learn how to do this!

Posted:

On -, @CaddiesFault, this is such a sick shot. would definitely recommend others try. here's a scuzzy* video of me trying this at the range:

*scuzzy weather, scuzzy range balls, scuzzy resolution and scuzzy video editing :D

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @ironcat said:

Just buy a 2 iron and stop your follow through. Stinger City.

yay for 2-irons but nay for stopping follow through, imho. stopping flow can be tough on the body.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.