Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Who can hit a Gary Woodland-like stinger here?

hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

my stinger is straight up trash right now but i want to believe there are better days ahead. anyone have video and explanation you would care to share? i'll share my garbage stinger if it helps get things going but trying to keep this a classy affair, if possible. ;)

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 6:28am #2

I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.
    I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 6:43am #3

@MonteScheinblum said:
    I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

let's see it, sir!!

edit: here's my best so far. could be worse, but still looks like a stiff robot compared to woodland:

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll get a good one in the lights on my range when I get back from Monterey.

You need to extend better in the backswing.

You’re flexing in the backswing, then extending immediately and it’s kicking the club out.

@MonteScheinblum said:

nice!

You’re flexing in the backswing, then extending immediately and it’s kicking the club out.

i'm feeling kind of daft because i don't understand any of this. could you please elaborate?

• ironcatironcat the cat Members Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just buy a 2 iron and stop your follow through. Stinger City.

Your chest/head/spine al get pulled down toward the ball in the backswing because you don’t extend at the waist. Then to avoid sticking the club in the ground, you lose bend at the waist to start the downswing. That’s the opposite of what should happen.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Shipwreck said:
    I’ve got an amazing stinger. But there are some problems with it:

• It’s with my 60*
    • It’s when I’m trying to hit a delicate shot
    • It’s a fairway finder.....in another fairway....on another course potentially

I got that shot in the bag, I sometimes use it out of bunkers as well, in which case I call it the ankle bitter

• JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 4:27pm #11

Why even bother with this shot? Balls don't spin much anymore. Even TW doesn't use it anymore. His "safe shot" now off the tee is a baby cut with a longer club, not a sawed off low draw with less club.

TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX (yellow)
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 5:42pm #12

4 Iron here. Its my lowest club. Learned this one from Guido Migliozzi with the high tee stinger. Works great for me. Theres no impact with the ground so it feels much more natural and you cant hit it fat...just high on the face. I tee it off the back foot and hover the club at ball height. Tee it up like 1.5 inches or so.
    edit: resolution is better on insta.

Callaway
  • airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For some people trying to hit the stinger improves impact alignments particularly in those who typically don’t get their pressure forward enough at impact

• Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MonteScheinblum said:

I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it

Please go on....

@Buckets2 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

Please go on....

I will Instagram it shortly. Works well on flighting wedges too.

I call it the THREE LEFT FEEL

• glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hoselpalooza said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

nice!

i'm feeling kind of daft because i don't understand any of this. could you please elaborate?

Right shoulder over left foot.

@CaddiesFault said:
    4 Iron here. Its my lowest club. Learned this one from Guido Migliozzi with the high tee stinger. Works great for me. Theres no impact with the ground so it feels much more natural and you cant hit it fat...just high on the face. I tee it off the back foot and hover the club at ball height. Tee it up like 1.5 inches or so.

this is awesome! i occasionally do the opposite with my driving iron -- tee it up about 2"-3" and hit it like driver -- but never thought to place the ball off of the back foot. can't wait to try this out.

besides hovering the club, do you change anything about your grip or stance or swing (etc.) with this shot?

@airjammer said:
    For some people trying to hit the stinger improves impact alignments particularly in those who typically don’t get their pressure forward enough at impact

absolutely. two other benefits imho:
    1. natural way to learn forward shaft lean
    2. challenging way to improve shallow attack

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If i have room on the left to work i can hit a pretty bad**s rope hook (i'm a lefty). There's a hole on my course that requires like a 215yd shot around a dogleg, and i'll often hit 4 iron there around the corner without getting more than like 20-25 feet in the air and it really runs when it lands.

Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7

@MtlJeff said:
    If i have room on the left to work i can hit a pretty bad**s rope hook (i'm a lefty). There's a hole on my course that requires like a 215yd shot around a dogleg, and i'll often hit 4 iron there around the corner without getting more than like 20-25 feet in the air and it really runs when it lands.

bubba watson, is that you? :D care to share a video from the course or range?

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hoselpalooza said:

@MtlJeff said:

bubba watson, is that you? :D care to share a video from the course or range?

i pretty often get compared to Bubba, i hit a massive draw with most clubs and my 3 wood and hybrid i usually step out of the swing with my left foot kinda like he does sometimes

I don't have a video of the stinger. I have some 6 irons posted here in my WITB but it's not really the same. Maybe i'll try and get one on the range tomorrow

Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7

@MonteScheinblum said:

@Buckets2 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

Please go on....

checks instagram every 5 minutes

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,802 ClubWRX

@JD3 said:
    Why even bother with this shot? Balls don't spin much anymore. Even TW doesn't use it anymore. His "safe shot" now off the tee is a baby cut with a longer club, not a sawed off low draw with less club.

Wind. I still use driver, but drive it down low to keep it in the fairway. Works great for into and cross winds.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow

@MtlJeff said:

I don't have a video of the stinger. I have some 6 irons posted here in my WITB but it's not really the same. Maybe i'll try and get one on the range tomorrow

no pressure but that would be fun to see. if you post yours (rope hook) i'll post mine.

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,139 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 9:58pm #25

@JD3 said:

For me it comes down to whether I want a toolkit full of shots to work with, or some little ****-pack.

Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Mizuno Clk 18, 21
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CaddiesFault said:

Guido Migliozzi style! That's just fantastic. I will be interjecting that one into the Friday foursome soon.

• airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Buckets2 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

@Buckets2 said:

@MonteScheinblum said:

Please go on....

checks instagram every 5 minutes

My refresh button is starting to break down haha

@airjammer said:

this is filthy. unreal how he cracks the whip to get such low spin and low ball-flight. i want to learn how to do this!

@CaddiesFault, this is such a sick shot. would definitely recommend others try. here's a scuzzy* video of me trying this at the range:

*scuzzy weather, scuzzy range balls, scuzzy resolution and scuzzy video editing :D

@ironcat said:
    Just buy a 2 iron and stop your follow through. Stinger City.

yay for 2-irons but nay for stopping follow through, imho. stopping flow can be tough on the body.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file