Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Paul Casey almost penalized for putted ball running over a bug

bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited Sep 7, 2019 5:48pm in Tour Talk #1

This is beyond preposterous (ok, I'm sensationalizing it). But for the rules guy to suggest that "if you purposely putt your ball over a bug, that's an infraction".
OK, everyone raise your hand if you feel trying to run over a bug while putting will increase your chances of making that putt? And that you would seriously consider doing it on purpose!!
https://golfchannel.com/news/watch-paul-casey-narrowly-escapes-rules-infraction-hitting-bug-putt

GHIN Index 13.8

Comments

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

asinine for anyone to call him in and ask ... truly asinine ...

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

make the rules more concise and use common sense.

• ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible.
    A bug on the putting green is no different than a leaf, goose poo or other natural obstruction. We're not talking endangered species here.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• diugnaldiugnal Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

Key word “knowingly” has been changed inadvertently to “purposely”.
    So not deliberate.

Because Paul C didn’t KNOW he had hit the bug. There was no requirement for him to cop a penalty.
    The relevant Rule is actually 11.1b Exception 2. (Not 11.2b which was quoted in media references)
    If you read the Rule Exception it refers to ANIMAL.
    Go Definitions for ANIMAL and find it means just about any animate being except humans. That means very small bugs, spiders etc., are included.
    I reckon a lot of putts contact little bugs on the way to the hole or probably missing it.
    If you know for sure you must “cancel” the stroke and try again.
    Talk about complicated! Live insects on a ball are “Loose Impediments.
    The Rules are much better but still have plenty of complications.

• daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 8, 2019 4:38am #8

Hitting a bug at the precise angle to deflect your ball into the hole. Man, these guys ARE good. And Paul Casey isn’t even a physics major.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait for the next time I miss a putt, and I claim I get replay it as I saw it hit a bug. (;

• JRSJRS Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

it actually went to the left of the bug. everyone involved should have a 20 meter tall golf ball rolled over them.

• VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so confused. Why am I supposed to be outraged again?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

"These guys are good"!

Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Golf just doesn’t want to help itself does it?!

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm outraged! Can someone give me some more details?!?!

• bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha, that's a good one. They didn't think that clause (playover if running over a bug) could case more chaos for re-plays on missed putts than the rule itself if perchance one should run over a bug.

@2bGood said:
    Can't wait for the next time I miss a putt, and I claim I get replay it as I saw it hit a bug. (;

GHIN Index 13.8
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ohioglfr said:
    Incredible.
    A bug on the putting green is no different than a leaf, goose poo or other natural obstruction. We're not talking endangered species here.

With a leaf, I think it depends on whether it is moving or not. Shots hitting a blowing leaf should be replayed to avoid penalty. https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/09/24/pro-golfers-ball-hit-blowing-leaf-leads-four-stroke-penalty

• NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Might want to contact a therapist if you think you're supposed to be outraged by a rules infraction.

@Vindog said:
    I'm so confused. Why am I supposed to be outraged again?

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bulls9999 said:
    This is beyond preposterous (ok, I'm sensationalizing it). But for the rules guy to suggest that "if you purposely putt your ball over a bug, that's an infraction".
    OK, everyone raise your hand if you feel trying to run over a bug while putting will increase your chances of making that putt? And that you would seriously consider doing it on purpose!!
    https://golfchannel.com/news/watch-paul-casey-narrowly-escapes-rules-infraction-hitting-bug-putt

Your post title is misleading. There is no penalty for putting over a bug. The penalty would be for not replaying the shot if you know you hit an animal.

If you know your ball hit an animal, you must replay the shot.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ray9898 said:
    I'm outraged! Can someone give me some more details?!?!

No need to be outraged. See post #18.

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Roadking2003 said:

@bulls9999 said:

Your post title is misleading. There is no penalty for putting over a bug. The penalty would be for not replaying the shot if you know you hit an animal.

Is this true for hitting a duck/bird by accident on any shot not using a putter from off the green? You have to replay the shot?

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@diugnal said:
    Key word “knowingly” has been changed inadvertently to “purposely”.
    So not deliberate.

Because Paul C didn’t KNOW he had hit the bug. There was no requirement for him to cop a penalty.
    The relevant Rule is actually 11.1b Exception 2. (Not 11.2b which was quoted in media references)
    If you read the Rule Exception it refers to ANIMAL.
    Go Definitions for ANIMAL and find it means just about any animate being except humans. That means very small bugs, spiders etc., are included.
    I reckon a lot of putts contact little bugs on the way to the hole or probably missing it.
    If you know for sure you must “cancel” the stroke and try again.
    Talk about complicated! Live insects on a ball are “Loose Impediments.
    The Rules are much better but still have plenty of complications.

With live insects on your ball, are you allowed to mark your ball from any of the playing areas to remove the bug? I've had a few bees get attracted to my ball and usually simple waving shoos them off but say you're chipping from off the green can you just mark it to remove it?

• VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Noke said:
    Might want to contact
    @thevaporz said:

@Roadking2003 said:

@bulls9999 said:

Is this true for hitting a duck/bird by accident on any shot not using a putter from off the green? You have to replay the shot?

No. That only applies to balls played on the putting green. Otherwise the ball is played as it lies with no penalty.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SkiSchoolPro said:

@ohioglfr said:
    Incredible.

With a leaf, I think it depends on whether it is moving or not. Shots hitting a blowing leaf should be replayed to avoid penalty. https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/09/24/pro-golfers-ball-hit-blowing-leaf-leads-four-stroke-penalty

Old news . . . pre-2019.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Vindog said:

@Noke said:
    Might want to contact
    @thevaporz said:

@Roadking2003 said:

@bulls9999 said:

No. That only applies to balls played on the putting green. Otherwise the ball is played as it lies with no penalty.

Jimmy Walker and Kelly Kraft both nod in agreement.

• jmcf1949jmcf1949 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

@farmer said:
    If you're good enough to hit a bug so it will deflect your ball into the hole, then why not just make the putt?

Reminds me of the time Lanny and Seve were playing a match. Seve accused Lanny of asking Seve to move his coin on the green. After bouncing his ball off Seve's coin into the hole Seve made the accusation. Lanny supposedly replied something like **** right Seve, I'm that fu%*ing good!

• SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sui generis said:

@SkiSchoolPro said:

@ohioglfr said:
    Incredible.

Old news . . . pre-2019.

Was that one of the rules changes?

• sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SkiSchoolPro said:

@sui generis said:

@SkiSchoolPro said:

@ohioglfr said:
    Incredible.

Old news . . . pre-2019.

Was that one of the rules changes?

Old R19 Ball in Motion, new R11 Ball in Motion.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

True story. I accidentally ate a bug on a golf course once when it flew into my mouth during a swing. Never called it on myself but in retrospect maybe I should have checked.

TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX (yellow)
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Harming that one lil bug could have a HUGE impact on global warming, sorry climate change.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't the Brits call bugs something else?

@JD3 said:
    True story. I accidentally ate a bug on a golf course once when it flew into my mouth during a swing. Never called it on myself but in retrospect maybe I should have checked.

Were you hungry?

• ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

A spokesman for the bug stated that he sustained life threatening injuries and has hired an attorney.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file