Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

I just discovered the 5W!

Comments

• mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@EddieEdwards said:
    5w is so much easier to hit off the turf than a 3 wood and what you lose in length you gain in consistancy. The perfect 3w for most people is probably a 5w.

I agree. The modern day 3 wood is probably a waste of space is most people's bags. As drivers have become more forgiving and 4/5 woods have gotten hotter, the need for them off the tee has diminished. A 3-wood is still MUCH harder for most amateurs to hit consistently off the deck compared to 5 woods/hybrids.

WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • taoslcltaoslcl Members Posts: 41 ✭✭

Just got my EFSZ 5 wood in the mail today and so excited!

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,764 ClubWRX

@taoslcl said:
    Just got my EFSZ 5 wood in the mail today and so excited!

Mine is supposed to be here any day, and I cannot wait to get it.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfinguru11 said:
    The only reason you wouldn’t play a 5 wood is if you’re in the rough a lot or need a driving iron. Hybrids are just so much easier to hit than a 5 wood from the thick stuff.

I like carrying a 5 wood or 7 wood and a 4 hybrid for this reason. I really don't like hybrids much from the fairway, but they are money from the rough or bare lies.

For me, fairway woods are....great from the fairway. While hybrids are good at what they were intentionally/initially designed for, trouble "rescue" clubs.

I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • BrianM18BrianM18 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

I actually just bought a 5w the 917f2 18* im waiting for it to arrive any day. I had the idea that this 5w would replace my 816h1 19* i just keep thinking overall the 5w would be a better fit in the bag than the hybrid, just get me some more distance into par 5's and long par 4's. i dont carry a 3 wood so this will be my longest fairway club ... once an idea gets stuck in my head its tough to get it out hence the bag of unused clubs that just sits there collecting dust.

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,764 ClubWRX

I'm going to really have to evaluate the top end of my bag... I have a 3w (15* TM M2 Tour), TM P790 UDI 2i currently and a Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero 18* set to arrive any day now.
    I don't use my 3w much, and when I do it's mostly off the tee as I just haven't been good hitting 3w off the deck the last couple of years. It's mostly due to swing faults but I used to really be a good 3w player and maybe I'm just hanging on to hope I'll figure it out. Because I don't hit the 3w off the deck, the 2i is mostly what I hit into par 5s when I go for it unless I really tag one and can hit my Fli-Hi 3 iron or even 4i on some rare occasions.

I'm hoping the SZ 5w is pretty long to the point where it's a little longer than the 2i UDI, as I'd like to sit the 3w and keep the 2i in the bag. On my home course there's a number of holes where the 2i is perfect off the tee for a 240-250 shot for me. In addition, hopefully the higher/softer shots with the 5w will make it the go to club for long approaches into par 5s.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • BLF0901BLF0901 Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

I like the versatility of a hybrid much more than a 5w, myself. They're better out of the rough, I don't overcook mine often, anymore, and it's easy enough to intentionally overcook when you do need a big draw or hook.

• Phillipsac18Phillipsac18 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I have both a 5 wood and a 3 hybrid. I also generally like the versatility of the 3 hybrid more than the 5 wood. My 5 wood is a little too close to my 3 wood in distance and i can cover that gap better by just choking down my 3 wood and also carrying my 3 hybrid. I could also probably drop my 3 wood for all but really long courses and just roll with 5 wood and 3 hybrid. There isnt really a correct answer.

• BY#99BY#99 Members Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 17* and 19* hybrid (use 1 depending on the course) that I hit better than my 5W. Got rid of that a few years ago. No question out of the rough it is better. For me fairway is a push. Never had a problem with hooking. Mine is adjustable so could open a bit if needed. I am not a fast swinger either - about 97-100mph with the driver and I have no problem elevating either hybrids

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the club love my 5wood

TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • danman44danman44 chinaMembers Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

anybody playing a g410 5wood?i have the 22* hybrid and its sooo easy to hit.. awondering about the fairways

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@danman44 said:
    anybody playing a g410 5wood?i have the 22* hybrid and its sooo easy to hit.. awondering about the fairways

Hit one in a bay at Edwin...felt too hollow (like the g400) for me.

• danman44danman44 chinaMembers Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

@third-times-a-charm said:

@danman44 said:

did you try the f9?the rails kinda intrigue me as I mostly play in tropical conditions ie very wet and a hair fat becomes a total splash

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@danman44 said:

@third-times-a-charm said:

@danman44 said:

did you try the f9?the rails kinda intrigue me as I mostly play in tropical conditions ie very wet and a hair fat becomes a total splash

No, I did like the F8 though.

• LowDimeLowDime Members Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

i pulled my Gapr lo for a titleist 915f 5 wood and so happy i did it. But i need to sell the Gapr to recoup some money

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

there are days I wish I still had a 5 wood but most the time I don't. My hybrids replaced my 5 wood and 3 iron and have been very consistant when well hit. Naturally they are probably the hardest clubs in my bag to hit well for some reason.

• DMAICDMAIC Members Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

I'm in a similar boat, have a 19H so I'm looking for a 16.5* FW with adjustability to try and solve the gapping issue after it and use the additional loft to help from thr fairway. I rarely use my 3 wood off the tee so need something a bit easier to elevate off the deck.

• wam78wam78 Members Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭

I have an 816 alpha for sale if anyone is interested.

Driver: Cobra F8+ 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2
    Fairway: Cobra F8 15* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 7.2
    Fairway:  816 Alpha 18* Fubuki z75 x5ct 
    OR
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP H5 2i Fujikara Pro 2.0 85 Hybrid
    Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone Tour B X-CB Modus 120s
    Wedges: NCW Proto 50*, Scratch raw 54*, Scratch raw 58* Modus 125 Wedge
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5, heavy weights, pistolero plus grip
  • crutancrutan Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

I really need to give a 5w a chance after all these comments. Maybe even a 7w

• hdgolf44hdgolf44 Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭

I've kept an old Cally BB Warbird 5W around for this reason.
    I've had difficulty finding the right fit in the 3W, and I've tried newer, hotter-faced 5W's as a sort of old-school 4W setup, but still that Warbird fits the gap I'm looking for nicely when in play. It's also glorious from the rough.

Cobra King F6+ (black - set @ 9*) -- w/ Kuro Kage Silver (stiff)
    TaylorMade M4 5W (18*) -- w/ stock Fuji Atmos 6 Red
    TaylorMade M1 Rescue - 21* -- w/ stock Fuji Pro 80h stiff
    Mizuno Fli-Hi Utility -24* -- w/ TT DG S300
    Mizuno MP-64 (5-PW) -- w/ TT DG S300
    Cleveland RTX-3 - (52* mg) & (56* fg)
    Callaway Mack Dady PM Grind (60*)
    PING Anser 3 MgBr -" w/ GP Tour Tradition

• Phillipsac18Phillipsac18 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I would recommend giving it a chance, its a great club if you can find one you like. A cheaper option now that I would recommend is a Titleist 915F 18*. Flies long and high for me.

• RichsgboxRichsgbox Members Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

@Phillipsac18 said:

I would recommend giving it a chance, its a great club if you can find one you like. A cheaper option now that I would recommend is a Titleist 915F 18*. Flies long and high for me.

There are a lot of options out there at reasonable cost. IMO try anything to knock those scores down.

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a 4 wood soon. Have G410 LST 3 wood and G410 5 wood. Recently have been playing 5 wood cranked down in loft and leaving 3 wood out of the bag. However I've hit some really nasty hooks. Probably needs to go.

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • taoslcltaoslcl Members Posts: 41 ✭✭

Hit my EFSZ today for first time in range. After a break in period with some snap hooks I got in the groove and was launching nice high straight balls down the center carrying 200 with range balls. Coming from mostly ping woods it's hard for me to get used to the muted whak of Callaway but the feel is great. Only downside was my driver (G400 max) wasn't going much further than it today but was a bad driver day. Excited to get it on course. I plan to play at 17 deg and keep my 22 deg hybrid until I upgrade to an adjustable. I see this being great in short 4s off the tee and par 5s from the fairway.

• bob_fishbob_fish NCClubWRX Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just did the same thing, added an 18* 5wd last week. Love the results, so far.

Titleist TS2 10.5* Fujikura Red 50S
    Titleist TS2 15* Fujikura 661
    Titleist TS2 18* Fujikura Ventus 70S
    Callaway Apex 19 Forged 4-AW
    Cleveland RTX4 54* & 58*
    T.P. Mills SS Ming

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How is the 5 wood out of light rough compared to a hybrid? That is the only thing I worry about

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HY
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120 
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • RichsgboxRichsgbox Members Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

Why would you hit out of a rough?! ha. Only one way to find out. I haven't had the opportunity but i'm curious as well.

@AG12 said:
    How is the 5 wood out of light rough compared to a hybrid? That is the only thing I worry about

• llaw999llaw999 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

I love my 5 and 7 wood. I find as long as I have enough loft and swing them like an iron out of the rough they usually perform very well! I just love that high towering flight and stopping power!

• peterrodpeterrod Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@danman44 said:

I'm picking up a G410 5wood tonight. There was a Ping demo day Friday before Labor day and I got fit for a 5 wood.
    Carry was 210 with a range ball so im hoping for the 210-230 gap with the 5 wood. I will give more input after this weekend.

• Munich77Munich77 Members Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@hdgolf44 said:
    I've kept an old Cally BB Warbird 5W around for this reason.
    I've had difficulty finding the right fit in the 3W, and I've tried newer, hotter-faced 5W's as a sort of old-school 4W setup, but still that Warbird fits the gap I'm looking for nicely when in play. It's also glorious from the rough.

I feel the same about my great bb warbird 5w. Awesome club

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file