Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

How do you know when you've found "the putter"?

tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I've been testing tons of different putters over the last month, both in-store and on the practice green. I find there are certainly a couple models that I don't like the look of or that I don't roll as well, but there's also a ton of various putters that I roll well and make a bunch of putts with. I've gotten to the point where I really don't know what "fits" me best because it feels like I can make plenty of putts with all of them...

So my question to you guys is, how do you know when you've found "the one" in your putter? How do you trial and error to see what putter shape/style/neck fits you best? To those guys who always play the same specific model or shape of putter, how do you know that's best for you?

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
- Arnold Palmer

Comments

• jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,863 ClubWRX

I made it myself. Makes it hard to put it aside.

M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  HZRDUS Red 85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,700 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 9, 2019 12:05am #3

I always look for a putter that is pleasing to my eye. This involves head shape and neck style and position of the neck. I also trust my experience with putter styles. I've putted with nearly every type of putter design from a true blade style (8802 or Bullseye) to heel/toe balanced blades to mallet type and or larger bodied putters. I've putted with pretty much every style of neck design from plumbers neck/flow neck/shaft in putter. I've putted with center shafted putters to the 8802 type neck position. Personally I love the 8802 style putter and would love to game this. Once upon a time I was very good with this style but I am older and realize I no longer possess the skill to use this style. I also know my stroke is a gate stroke so a mallet design doesn't work best for me. While an Anser style blade works well, the Ping Zing style blade is what has produced the best results for me in terms of look, feel and putter path repeatability.

I guess my understanding of what is pleasing to my eye and the type of stroke I putt with leads me to the style. All I had to do is find the "Zing" style I loved and one I could get the type of neck welded to it. I found that style from Byron Morgan with the Epic Day with long pipe flow neck. When I set this putter down to make the stroke I never think about the putter or shape. All I concentrate on is making a good stroke through my ball alignment mark aligned with my immediate target some feature on the green just in front of the ball. The putters that lack this comfort always had me thinking about something about the putter (shape, ball alignment to the face or body, shape of the neck, something). A putter I consider "the one" takes any doubt about the putter itself out also I can only focus on putting.

Taylormade M3 9.9 degree tour head, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,537 ClubWRX

I think I've found "the putter" a few times. I thought I had it with the Scotty Futura X7M 38", but I was forced to throw it to the curb with the Ping Valor. Now that I've got it in a fixed length, it's money. Can't imagine using anything else....at least until next year.

It's about looks most of the time. This time it was just making putt after putt on the practice green that changed my mind 'cause it is a little ugly. I was just rolling the ball so well, I had to put it in play. Still love the anser style putters, but right now I'm putting better with a mallet.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s the one with the least loft in the bag. Very different head-shape compared to irons and woods. 😁

Seriously though, I rotate between 4-5 putters, so there’s no “the putter” in my arsenal. At least I settled on all CS putters this year. Flow necks also work well for me, face-balanced vs toe hang is a non-issue. Basically if a putter sits square, feels well-balanced, not too firm or plasticky, starts on line, and gets rolling near enough right away, it makes the rota. If I don’t use it in a year, I move on. If somehow I ever had an 18-putt round, I’d figure all the luck was used up and sell the putter within a week.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra F6 3W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Ping G 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85H
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52 56 60
    Piretti Teramo CS

• sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

You never know til it’s too late. Most of us have sold the putter that worked best. You keep looking and realize that you sold it. I need my TP Mills back, who knew you were the one.

• jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,199 ClubWRX

If you have to ask, then you haven't found it. Hahaha

For me, it happens quickly. The look fits with what I want to see at that moment. The first few strokes require no manipulation; it just flows. And finally, the ball comes off on the line I want at the speed I'm expecting. If any of that is off, I know in the first couple of putts.

The thing is, it can all change. Sometimes another putter fits your eye better. Sometimes your stroke has changed in subtle ways and a new one fits better. Sometimes you made a ball change and the feel of the new ball and old putter isn't right. Just because you found "the putter" doesn't mean it will stay "the putter."

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • dam276dam276 I shoulda yelled two FLMembers Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a long-time putter collector (::coughhocough::), but that all came to an end when a friend suggested I go to see a local fitter who walked me through a fitting for Edel. Opened my eyes to a lot of things (figuratively and literally), but it’s no longer a question of what I’m doing or if I’ve found the right one”

Ping G400 LST 10* (D+ 60X)
    Callaway Epic SZ 3W (D+ 70X)
    Callaway Epic 5W (Kai'li 70X)
    Nike VR Pro Blades 4-PW (MODUS 120X)
    Titleist SM7 50* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 54* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 60* L (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0)
    Edel E-1
  • collindm1collindm1 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

Has to feel good on the take-back for me. The look of a putter always helps or hurts that for me - I prefer a simple, naked scotty cameron Newport. I've hit a ton of putters in my time and I believe the best out there for feel are SC, Bettinardi, Kenny Giannini, and for an insert I prefer the TM line. You've found the one when you make the most putts with it, your distance control is better, and you have confidence and make the 3-5 footers with it. I believe you can't switch putters all the time and expect to be consistent, dial one in and stick with it!

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Buy 5 Classic Putter Designs.
    Take em home and rotate them.
    Ping Anser
    Ping B60
    Odyssie Rossie 11
    Scottie tei3
    Scottie Newport 2
    Which is an Anser
    Also Ping Zing 2
    Also a seemore
    That should last a year.

2019 September nice bag

Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10
    Ping B60 
    DarkTanTitleistCap

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2019 8:18am #11

@collindm1 said:
    Has to feel good on the take-back for me.

This. If it feels balanced on the take back then that is the key. IMO if it doesn’t it’s a non-starter as to putt well you need confidence. But this isn’t just to do with balance on the face, it’s also the grip.

The other two main criteria are are a nice feel off the face, and of course the ability to start it on line. The amount of toe-hang makes not a scrap of difference with my swing, I have the full spectrum from face-balanced to 6:00. In addition weight or swingweight doesn’t seem to be an issue with me, mine range from 550g to 639g total weight. It’s all about balance.

I’m sure I have the right putter here, FWIW 3 of these grips are being changed, a Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite is going on the Toulon, the 35” will become a 34” and the Garsen on the Piretti on the far right is being changed for a Piretti Fat Grip as the current one is too small and feels alien. I use these in rotation and all work very similarly, so my preference is milled, no insert, simple. I have sold all the putters that don’t fit this description.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It has to look good.
    It has to feel good.
    It's a plus if it rocks from heel to toe without falling open or closed. (I know, weird. But it's a test I've used for years. If if falls over during this test, it will fall over during the stroke.)
    Lastly, if I make a few putts a round that I have no business making, it's a keeper.

TM 2016 M2 9.5º
    TM 2016 M2 16.5º
    TM FCT Rescue 21º
    Srixon Z745 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6, 52.10f, 56.14f, Special Grind 60V
    Cleveland HB Soft 11
    Srixon ZStar
    Hdcp 6.9
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it might be my Edel E-3, I mean the thing is built for me. I also had it refitted this past weekend by Dave Edel himself so I'll see how it rolls after the changes he made and offered for me technically. If not well I'll still use it until I find something else.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

The newest one is always "the one". Until the next one comes along.
    Took me awhile to define what I liked / didn't like about a putter...Insert or no insert / shaft type / head type / length / grip.
    Most important to me was how it looked to my eye...you don't want to look down and think 'meh'.
    Once I narrowed down thru trial and error, I was fitted for my preferred putter. Was cut and bent to optimize for me. Had it for a long time now. No thoughts of ditching it. Overall I have very few bad patches of time with it...maybe if I putted poorly with it for a few months in a row - I would have ditched it at some point.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@monkeyboy said:
    The newest one is always "the one". Until the next one comes along.
    Took me awhile to define what I liked / didn't like about a putter...Insert or no insert / shaft type / head type / length / grip.
    Most important to me was how it looked to my eye...you don't want to look down and think 'meh'.
    Once I narrowed down thru trial and error, I was fitted for my preferred putter. Was cut and bent to optimize for me. Had it for a long time now. No thoughts of ditching it. Overall I have very few bad patches of time with it...maybe if I putted poorly with it for a few months in a row - I would have ditched it at some point.

True. This is very true. There are a few i always keep...but in always down for something new on the side.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

When you stop looking at others putters and tinkering, youve found the one.

• tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was back at the golf shop today rolling putters, and it seems like I roll a whole range of putters with the line going end-over-end. No real pattern to it. Mallets, anser, blade, big, small, I can get them all rolling okay. Maybe that means I just need to find the one I aim the best where I actually think I'm aiming. If I can get them all rolling well, then the one I am the best is probably "the one" right?

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

There is only one way to really know. You will know when the same putter has been in your bag for about 5 years. Then you will really know.....

• MedsonMedson Members Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I assume getting fitted will do the trick.

I've been pretty lazy so I stick with one go-to putter although I still collect a ton.

• EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When you start seeing the ball go in the hole consistently from 10-12 feet ... You found the one!

2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4+ 16.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Miura CB-301 5-6 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura CB-57 7-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura KM-007 Soft Black BGT Stability EI GJ 1.0
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Members Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

I was building a small collection, then I found the one and the others got sold and my starter collection is no more.

• 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Medson said:

I've been pretty lazy so I stick with one go-to putter although I still collect a ton.

You'd think so...but likely not. Think of how many people here get fit for clubs, yet the BST remains full.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902

@Double Dodger said:
    There is only one way to really know. You will know when the same putter has been in your bag for about 5 years. Then you will really know.....

Nothing has been in my golf bag for 5 years, not even the same golf bag itself haha

- Arnold Palmer

@Medson said:

I've done a putter fitting twice now and neither was all that beneficial. One was at a Club Champion and the other a smaller competitor that I'm forgetting the name of now. Honestly, neither fitter seemed all that competent. One was a kid younger than me who knew less about golf equipment than I do (no offense). All he did was hand me different putter after different putter and in the end said "yeah, not sure how to help you."

Basically, what each fitting showed was that regardless of putter I was opening and closing the putter about ~2* back and through. Typically I would aim .5-1* open at address and return the putter exactly .5-1* open. Both times, because of my low face rotation, the machine said I should play a face-balanced mallet even though I was getting pretty much the same results regardless of toe hang used.

I suppose that means I just need to find a putter I aim 0* straight instead of that 1* open? lol

- Arnold Palmer
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't think the one "right" putter even exists. There are probably dozens of models that could fit your stroke and tendencies. You make it the "right one" by committing to playing and practicing with it for a long period of time.

In other words, stop blaming the hunk of metal on a stick, and get to the practice green on a regular basis. Doing that, your relationship with the putter will grow over time and eventually it will become the "one" for you.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I putted with the same Bullseye for 15 plus years pretty much all the time. I had a original B60 as a back up. I literally would take both out the the course, especially if it was a tournament. If I wasn't feeling good on the practice green with my Bullseye, I pulled out the B60 and magically it almost always would seem better. But that was maybe 10-15% of the time. Then about 20 years ago, I just lost the feel with the Bullseye, and I screwed up my B60 by cutting it down (I had always choked down about an inch with it, I wanted it regripped and told the guy to chop off that extra inch, never felt the same again despite lead tape/etc.)

I have been searching ever since. Had some success with a couple of belly putters, but knew they were going to be outlawed. I have an older Cleveland BRZ 2 model that has been sort of my go to when nothing else seems to work the last several years, but I can be hot and cold with it, but have has some streaks of solid putting with it over the past few years. This spring I thought I and "found the one" when I pulled out an old Never Compromise slant neck I had sitting around and started putting really well for several months. Then we punched our greens, and from that day forward I couldn't putt worth a **** with it, it made no sense. All I can say is I think I have come to the conclusion now I need a heel shafted putter, or at least one with some toe hang (but I have also tried a 2 ball which seems pretty good, about the only face balanced one I seem to be able to work with), and after switching to cross handed last year I have gotten some consistency back. Latest experiment is a slant neck spider X. This weekend will be its first test on the course, maybe it is "the one".

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon 945 PW Recoil proto 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4,  or Spider X, or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • wam78wam78 Members Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain OP. What I have come to realize is it is all about looks and feel and if the club is flowing freely during release. I recently had a face balanced mallet with a large grip and it made me feel like my stroke was forced to be too mechanical. Thinking too much instead of a feeling. Whatever shape gives you that feeling that the putter is flowing freely. For me it was a change in the style of neck and head shape with a smaller grip. Good luck!

Driver: Cobra F8+ 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2
    Fairway: Cobra F8 15* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 7.2
    Fairway:  816 Alpha 18* Fubuki z75 x5ct 
    OR
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP H5 2i Fujikara Pro 2.0 85 Hybrid
    Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone Tour B X-CB Modus 120s
    Wedges: NCW Proto 50*, Scratch raw 54*, Scratch raw 58* Modus 125 Wedge
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5, heavy weights, pistolero plus grip
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So your asking when you found love for the first time.... oh putters, yeah, so, I recommend serial dating about 25-40 putters until you learn what you are looking for in a putter. The more details you find you like the better. Just remember, you probably need to learn your loft and lie and have them adjusted, to give them a chance to work well for you.

It seems like what makes a putter "the one" is just as much performance as it is one's personal commitment to not change putters, haha.

- Arnold Palmer
  • bripgall3265bripgall3265 DenverMembers Posts: 70 ✭✭

When I am CONSISTENTLY making putts in the 6-10 foot range.

Nike Dymo SR8T FIT 10.5*
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro U 3 17* (set at 16)
    Callaway Rogue 4H 20

Ping i-20 orange dot 5-9
    Vokey SM-4 Raw 46-08
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 50-04
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 54-14
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 58-04
    Odyssey Protype #6 340g / Gripmaster Signature Tour Black Grip
    Titleist Pro v1 (2017)
    Lamkin UTx .580 Blue

@bripgall3265 said:
    When I am CONSISTENTLY making putts in the 6-10 foot range.

But I do that with all of them pretty much the same.

- Arnold Palmer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file